Chip Out As AU OC (thread title updated)

TitanTiger

The issue is recruiting I think...having to make early moves,before the new December signing date....and before the bowl games.   Screws up bowl game coaching.......such as it is.:)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auskull said:

Soooo... what does this mean for our Bowl game in a few weeks? Changing OC's is a big deal with such a short time to prepare. Is Gus the interim OC in this game?

Well, yes, for any team not coached by Gus. 

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol how many years is it a make or break season for Gus? IDK why Gus is the coach AU decides to give unwarranted chance after chance too. The good thing about AU is that it usually lowers the boom at the first sign of trouble. Not the case with Gus. Around and around we go on this Merry Go round! lol

Unfortunately, you got that right.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol how many years is it a make or break season for Gus? IDK why Gus is the coach AU decides to give unwarranted chance after chance too. The good thing about AU is that it usually lowers the boom at the first sign of trouble. Not the case with Gus. Around and around we go on this Merry Go round! lol

First sign of trouble? This appears to be the first sign of trouble.

:abmbu:

At this point do we even want to replace Horton and JBG? Surely all replacements will be downgrades I mean who the hell wants to walk into a situation where the entire school except for a literal few wants the HC fired

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This guy was hired in like 30 minutes of being let go from us🤔🙄

By a former SEC coach with a national title and a 2nd national title game appearance under his belt. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

At this point do we even want to replace Horton and JBG? Surely all replacements will be downgrades I mean who the hell wants to walk into a situation where the entire school except for a literal few wants the HC fired

Well we know Horton had interviewed for N. Texas last season. That doesn't necessarily mean he wants out so much as he thinks he's capable moving up the coaching ladder. Nothing wrong with that. May be that he takes another crack at it this season too.

I kinda would like to see Porter at RB and maybe bring in a good TE coach. I think we've been hurting since Fountain left.

That said I still like Horton and think he's a good coach with a solid track record.

I still believe Grimes coaching strengths didn't get with Lindsey's RPO play style. Grimes I still believe is a good coach as well, but too often our interior linemen just looked confused... Again hard to say if that's on coaching, scheme, or inexperience...

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

there is a reason for that....if les will leave him alone, and let him handle the offense they will be successful....big if i know....all one has to do is go back to 2015 arizona state....he averaged 712 yards a game until his QB got hurt....he finished the year with his 5th string QB, a true freshman walkon and still finished very high in total offense....i'll see if i can find exactly where...( did, 24th)working under coach dufus, he could not do that against air

13 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

there is a reason for that....if les will leave him alone, and let him handle the offense they will be successful....big if i know....all one has to do is go back to 2015 arizona state....he averaged 712 yards a game until his QB got hurt....he finished the year with his 5th string QB, a true freshman walkon and still finished very high in total offense....i'll see if i can find exactly where...( did, 24th)working under coach dufus, he could not do that against air

It couldn't be because Arizona plays in the weaker half of the PAC-12 could it? And it couldn't possibly be because the SEC overall tends to have better defense could it? It's all on "coach dufus"...

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

It couldn't be because Arizona plays in the weaker half of the PAC-12 could it? And it couldn't possibly be because the SEC overall tends to have better defense could it? It's all on "coach dufus"...

Did he say it's "all" on Gus?

5th string QB vs 2nd-year starter in Stidham. 5-yr average recruiting ranking of 28 vs 7. 24th in total offense vs. 94th. Do you think that's all on PAC 12 defenses? ASU played 5 teams in the top 50 in total defense in 2016. 

JMO but the handwriting was on the wall for Chip weeks ago and now it's Kansas ?    :dunno:     OK  

Well...hope he does well.....coaching offense in the Big 12 has got to be the best job in college football.  

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

just a reminder: basketball game tonight where we can see an elite team, with an elite coach in action....7:00 pm

also, it will get our minds off of this smoorgasborg of insanity

I love what Pearl is doing. What he has done to bring credibility to our program is elite coaching and recruiting. Let’s see if he can get us to the final four. Escape from football  will be much needed...

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the handwriting was on the wall for Chip weeks ago and now it's Kansas ?    :dunno:     OK  

Well...hope he does well.....coaching offense in the Big 12 has got to be the best job in college football.  

Maybe someone could ask Gus what he thinks about being a head coach in the Big 12? 

I would imagine every knowledgeable football person in the country who knows about this situation is asking themselves WTF?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Actually, I think the golden goose is being a defensive coach.  You don't even have to be any good, apparently, to be serviceable in the Big12.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Actually, I think the golden goose is being a defensive coach.  You don't even have to be any good, apparently, to be serviceable in the Big12.

"Dangit, Jerry, I'll say it one more time. I. DON'T. CARE. Do whatever you want, bud. Coach needs some time with the playmakers. Here. Here's a coloring book. Go over there with the linebackers and see if they want to color with you." 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Poor thing. I guess if Lindsey had not coached under Malzahn, who is a renowned career killer, he would've been hired within 15 minutes of leaving Malzahn's coaching staff

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:
2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

its bad ain't it nathan?....its comical to watch the poor tackling,mis-alignments...one thing, most of the teams run the hurry up and some type spread, so complicated defenses and alignments are subject to become discomboobilated...so its kinda' like backyard sunday afternoon football....hey, you watch him and i'll rush this time!

12 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

one thing, most of the teams run the hurry up and some type spread, so complicated defenses and alignments are subject to become discomboobilated...

Hurry up, no huddle, spread?  Maybe we should....nah, that'd never work in this league.

33 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

its bad ain't it nathan?....its comical to watch the poor tackling,mis-alignments...one thing, most of the teams run the hurry up and some type spread, so complicated defenses and alignments are subject to become discomboobilated...so its kinda' like backyard sunday afternoon football....hey, you watch him and i'll rush this time!

D is definitely an afterthought over there.

Come to think of it, Snyder just retired at KState.... Gus might actually do well over there.  Oh well...

Congrats to Chip. I think Chip was hired specifically to coach a pro-style qb (JS). The remainder in the program appear to be dual-threat types so it's on to that type of of coordinator. Summary, it's just business.

Archived