Grad Transfer HB Jay Jay Wilson Commits to AU!

Maverick.AU

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I’m talking about getting kicked off the team for fighting and the other instance when he was throwing a punch in the NC game...

He got kicked off the team for a 2nd offense, domestic violence. We don't need that. 

The instance in the NC game wasn't ideal but that attitude is exactly what we need more of. Smith made our team tougher and better for 99.999% of the season and that one mistake cost us nothing. Cam Newton gives some piss poor pressers after a loss but that passion and inability to tolerate losing is what makes him great. Will Muschamp's penchant for sideline insanity is why his players love him and his defenses would run through brick walls for him. Junior Rosegreen's affinity for breaking bones is what made receivers hesitant to go across the middle against us. Nick Fairley's affinity for stealing the manhood of every offensive player he lined up against was the 2nd-most critical component of our most recent national championship. Gotta have some nasty. 

I see some swaggy alpha dog at multiple positions in this recruiting class and it gives me great hope for the future. I hope Wilson brings some more of it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He got kicked off the team for a 2nd offense, domestic violence. We don't need that. 

The instance in the NC game wasn't ideal but that attitude is exactly what we need more of. Smith made our team tougher and better for 99.999% of the season and that one mistake cost us nothing. Cam Newton gives some piss poor pressers after a loss but that passion and inability to tolerate losing is what makes him great. Will Muschamp's penchant for sideline insanity is why his players love him and his defenses would run through brick walls for him. Junior Rosegreen's affinity for breaking bones is what made receivers hesitant to go across the middle against us. Nick Fairley's affinity for stealing the manhood of every offensive player he lined up against was the 2nd-most critical component of our most recent national championship. Gotta have some nasty. 

I see some swaggy alpha dog at multiple positions in this recruiting class and it gives me great hope for the future. I hope Wilson brings some more of it. 

I don't disagree with the aggressiveness.  Remember I am a huge Russell Westbrook and OKC Thunder Fan.  All he is is rage.  There can be a fine line however, and I just really admired Jay Prosch for which line he took compared to Smith.  Prosch looked for people to eat, but off the field couldn't have been a better guy.  A good reason why I loved Cox too, after every play he would help the opposing defender up and slap his helmet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't disagree with the aggressiveness.  Remember I am a huge Russell Westbrook and OKC Thunder Fan.  All he is is rage.  There can be a fine line however, and I just really admired Jay Prosch for which line he took compared to Smith.  Prosch looked for people to eat, but off the field couldn't have been a better guy.  A good reason why I loved Cox too, after every play he would help the opposing defender up and slap his helmet.

I love Cox, too, but I'm not sure that part of his personality was conducive to better football play. 

You're right that we don't need anyone who's actually going to do something worthy of getting kicked off the team. But we need more

Image result for nick fairley gif

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You just gotta be able to flip the switch when you step on the field, and turn it off when you leave the field.

All I have to do is watch Over The Top. ;D

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

All I have to do is watch Over The Top. ;D

giphy.gif

Can you somehow get this into the heads of our O-lineman?!!!!!    This is urgent!!  😃

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, abw0004 said:

As good as Jay Prosch?

Absolutely not. Not even close. 

I know someone is just gonna call me negative, but they aren't even on the same page. Have you watched either play? As someone else said, Wilson needs to greatly improve his blocking to be even adequate. Prosch was/is an NFL FB. Wilson needs to eat his Wheaties to even be in the same breath as Prosch.

32 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Absolutely not. Not even close. 

I know someone is just gonna call me negative, but they aren't even on the same page. Have you watched either play? As someone else said, Wilson needs to greatly improve his blocking to be even adequate. Prosch was/is an NFL FB. Wilson needs to eat his Wheaties to even be in the same breath as Prosch.

To be fair the film we have on Wilson blocking is from two years ago. The reason he wasn’t good on that film was effort. If he gives effort, with his athleticism, he could be very good blocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

To be fair the film we have on Wilson blocking is from two years ago. The reason he wasn’t good on that film was effort. If he gives effort, with his athleticism, he could be very good blocking.

I was the one earlier that said earlier he had a long ways to go just to be adequate at blocking but I do agree with your statement. It was lack of effort that I saw. That lack of effort is putting him behind. I hope he can catch up to the defensive players that have put forth effort since day one.

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I was the one earlier that said earlier he had a long ways to go just to be adequate at blocking but I do agree with your statement. It was lack of effort that I saw. That lack of effort is putting him behind. I hope he can catch up to the defensive players that have put forth effort since day one.

The one I saw that had a lot of film on O was from 2 seasons ago...

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I was talking effort on plays, not training & development & what not. We don't know he's behind defensive players development wise.

Edited by ellitor

I fully admit to giving players the benefit of the doubt to a fault, but we should definitely keep in mind that he was dealing with position changes and his coordinators on both sides of the ball being in constant flux his entire time there. I'm not saying there's a serious reason to think that influenced his approach, and I'm certainly not saying that it excuses it if accurate, and I'm not saying that it will be any better here. Especially since he's changing coaching staffs once again and now moving all the way across the country. BUT... you never know how a change of scenery might invigorate and motivate a guy.

That said, watching that Washington video, I don't see much that needs changing. Heck of a route runner and pass catcher. Probably a better blocker than Cox. I don't see the lack of effort, even though he was wide open a dozen times throughout the game before a ball ever got thrown his way. I'm a super duper novice when it comes to evaluating film, though. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

But can he run the Whirlybird?

War Eagle!

The last post I read. This is exactly what I came here to be a smart@!s about!

• Like 1

• ellitor unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have a clue why he isn't mentioned in any of the articles for HB competition?  Will he go through spring ball?  Is he still expected to be on the team? Weird to me that there is no news on this dude when we have to replace Cox; or are we moving away from the HB and more to TE?

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Anyone have a clue why he isn't mentioned in any of the articles for HB competition?  Will he go through spring ball?  Is he still expected to be on the team? Weird to me that there is no news on this dude when we have to replace Cox; or are we moving away from the HB and more to TE?

It's my understanding that he won't graduate until the end of his current school term. Thus, he can't be a grad transfer until then. He should arrive on campus in the summer.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I thought we'd sign more Grad Transfers or some Junior College players.

Wait until after spring training is over............not sure why I'm even answering you

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

What’s up with this video?