ESPN FPI

WFE12

I haven't paid attention to the Daffies these past couple seasons because they haven't been much to look at but of course when it's our time to face them the media wants to give them attention. They just trying to hype the game up or are they legit?...I'm going with the former.

12 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Funny... Auburn just barely sneaks in there and look who else did....Ironic.

If you include tbe spring game where we play ourselves, you could say we play 6 teams inside the top ten preseason FPI. The more you know.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I haven't paid attention to the Daffies these past couple seasons because they haven't been much to look at but of course when it's our time to face them the media wants to give them attention. They just trying to hype the game up or are they legit?...I'm going with the former.

The Ducks are back on the upswing.  Mainly in part because of their returning QB who is extremely talented and will be on early Heisman watch  

27 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

The Ducks are back on the upswing.  Mainly in part because of their returning QB who is extremely talented and will be on early Heisman watch  

They lost their DC today. 

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Ducks have been hyped by everyone, not just ESPN. Potential #1 overall QB Herbert decided to return. Cristobal has lots of momentum. Just about every way too early poll has them 11th or 12th.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Ducks have been hyped by everyone, not just ESPN. Potential #1 overall QB Herbert decided to return. Cristobal has lots of momentum. Just about every way too early poll has them 11th or 12th.

Perfect just perfect

I haven’t seen any other “way too early polls”, but I can’t imagine a rational person putting AU at #9!

Bad OL + young RBs and WRs + 1st year starter QB =  Mediocre at best Offense

Our D lost some incredible leadership in DD and DR, as well as some solid talent and depth from a unit that underachieved last year.  

If you factor in the fact that we are the team in the SEC West that also plays uga every year, our annual schedule is a nightmare regardless of what non conference games we schedule.   

I am expecting a courtesy placement somewhere between 20-25 in preseason polls.  Top 10 seems ridiculous to me.  

13 hours ago, WFE12 said:

You didn't know that's our thing? Has been the last several years now. We schedule "pretty good" P5 OOC teams years out so that they have time to become top 10 powerhouses right before we actually play them. Clemson twice. Washington. Now Oregon. We finally get Oklahoma in a bowl game when they have a Heisman QB and several other NFL skill players. And it's not just OOC. We haven't played Florida since the Clinton administration and, lo and behold, look at two teams from the East in the top 10 and on our schedule this year! Did kirby smart go to Tennessee? Nope! He went to our permanent interdivisional rival! FML! FAL?

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I haven’t seen any other “way too early polls”, but I can’t imagine a rational person putting AU at #9!

Our D lost some incredible leadership in DD and DR, as well as some solid talent and depth from a unit that underachieved last year.  

If you factor in the fact that we are the team in the SEC West that also plays uga every year, our annual schedule is a nightmare regardless of what non conference games we schedule.   

I am expecting a courtesy placement somewhere between 20-25 in preseason polls.  Top 10 seems ridiculous to me.  

You should look at the entire "top 25" on there.... FSU is in there... :roflol:

Link

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

ESPN "way too early poll" came out yesterday and had us at #23.  I was curious how FPI worked, it factors in below:

• Team performance over the past four seasons (most emphasis on last season)

• Returning starters at quarterback, on offense overall and on defense

• Whether a team has a returning head coach

• Recruiting rankings over the past four seasons

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You didn't know that's our thing? Has been the last several years now. We schedule "pretty good" P5 OOC teams years out so that they have time to become top 10 powerhouses right before we actually play them. Clemson twice. Washington. Now Oregon. We finally get Oklahoma in a bowl game when they have a Heisman QB and several other NFL skill players. And it's not just OOC. We haven't played Florida since the Clinton administration and, lo and behold, look at two teams from the East in the top 10 and on our schedule this year! Did kirby smart go to Tennessee? Nope! He went to our permanent interdivisional rival! FML! FAL?

Oh no I know about that. That's what I was alluding to. That's apart of the auburn football season that we love so much.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, we’ve beaten every regular season OOC opponent not named Clemson over the last 10 years, sooooo...

And while I’m for abolishing permanent cross-division opponents, I’d like to point out that Smart has had the exact same record in his first three years that Richt did in his first three.

Oh and Oklahoma has always been good, dunno what you’re taking about.

Given how bad the PAC-12 has been recently, I’m highly skeptical of Oregon. Washington received the exact same hype last year—Phil Steele had them going to the playoffs! And Oregon didn’t exactly look great in its bowl.

Not to say we won’t be bad in 2019, we could—and honestly it might be for the best in the long run—but I just needed to dispel this myth.

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I Agree. Top 15, ok, but #9? based on what? Our defense?

We have to find a QB, a better effective OL and a RB that stays healthy and give us back our 1,000 yd rusher. 

Those holes alone, don't make us a top 10 team. And if we don't produce an effective offense in the first game, we will last but a week in the top ten....

Meaningless polls...fun to talk about but have no bearing on anything. Auburn does not seem like a Top 10 team to me right now and probably not even a Top 25 team when its all said and done. I still think we go 6-6 but it would be just like Auburn to have one of those magical seasons where we win the conference after everyone picks us to be bad. 

Our OL was playing pretty darn good at the end of the year, Everybody else gets an outstanding true freshman quarterback from time to time, don’t see why we can’t get one once every 50 years. Plenty of marquee defenders are back, excellent youth in the secondary on defense, Witlow and Shivers can run the football, grabbed a couple solid RB recruits. and our wide receivers are fine. We catch a little lightning in a bottle, and if the playbook is burned and a real playbook is implemented, we could be really good next year

On 2/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, The Plainsman said:

This sounds like Washington last year:

upswing program

Good coach, with momentum

great QB who is returning with loads of talent, heisman watch....  it's Washington 2.0

Only difference this year:  we will have an under developed QB and tight, nervous coach, unlike last year.   I still give Auburn the nod.   I think Gus mixes it up enough and our talent wins the game.  

LSU is overrated.

FPI is not preseason poll. It's a metric to explain what SHOULD happen. 

However, the ESPN FCPI (Football Coaches Power Index) is more telling:

1) Lord Saban

2) Yabo Dabo Do

3) Bowl Cut

127) Sir Double Bubble Sweater Vest

11 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

FPI is not preseason poll. It's a metric to explain what SHOULD happen. 

However, the ESPN FCPI (Football Coaches Power Index) is more telling:

1) Lord Saban

2) Yabo Dabo Do

3) Bowl Cut

127) Sir Double Bubble Sweater Vest

It's odd that this was explained and folks have still offered all these strong opinions without understanding that it's not a poll.

Buuuuuuut "our" fear of expectations is very strong and sometimes clouds "our" judgment. 

Archived