Avery Johnson and Bama working on a buyout.

GwillMac6

@BJCrawford I was afraid of this. I think the optics of him losing as a 1 seed at home to some no name school that was a 8 seed just made it to much to overcome. I really really do not want them to hire a good coach and figure this basketball thing out. SMH.

By Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

The Avery Johnson era appears to be nearing an end at the University of Alabama.

The school and Johnson are currently negotiating a buyout for what would be a mutually agreed upon parting of ways, AL.com learned Thursday night. The discussions remain active a day after the Crimson Tide season ended in the NIT.

Johnson said on Wednesday he had met with Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne on Saturday and discussed the future of the program. That was before losing 80-79 to Norfolk State after which an opposing player noted a lack of energy in Alabama’s warmups.

Johnson has a 75-62 record in four seasons with one NCAA tournament appearance in a tenure.

Johnson made $3.062 million last year, according to the USA Today salary database released last week. That made him the 19th highest-paid coach in the country.

“I love being the coach here at Alabama. That’s my plan," Johnson said after the game Wednesday night. “I made that crystal clear to Greg in our (Saturday) meeting. And hopefully they feel the same way. But I’m committed to it. I still have time left, obviously on my contract.”

This story will be updated.

Would look out for Prohm too. He’s in a nice spot already though. Maybe he can get a raise out of it. 

Bama fans are throwing out Chris Beard. lol

With the amount they'll pay and the SEC on rise look for a good name hire. But remember Barbee was a good name hire a few years ago and he turned out to be the worst coach in AU history.....which is saying something for bball

30 minutes ago, gravejd said:

With the amount they'll pay and the SEC on rise look for a good name hire. 

I’m very disappointed Avery is negotiating down his buyout. He’s got Bama on tbe hook for 8 mil, and if he didn’t negotiate, that would effectively end tbe Prohm talk since he has a 4 million dollar buyout at Iowa State. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m very disappointed Avery is negotiating down his buyout. He’s got Bama on tbe hook for 8 mil, and if he didn’t negotiate, that would effectively end tbe Prohm talk since he has a 4 million dollar buyout at Iowa State. 

True...but I think AJ is an honorable guy and knows things are not working out ...and will be glad to be done with bama….this probably falls under the definition of "mutual decision"…..he will likely split the difference or something.....JMO    

I've never thought Avery Johnson had what it takes to succeed in the NCAA.  He's got a pro coach's mentality.

But the one thing he could do was recruit.  Prep players are unduly mesmerized with him as a former NBA player/coach, and he signed some good players.

Hopefully with him gone, our recruiting will get a boost.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

True...but I think AJ is an honorable guy and knows things are not working out ...and will be glad to be done with bama….this probably falls under the definition of "mutual decision"…..he will likely split the difference or something.....JMO    

His team gave up on him and from the looks of that game the other night, the entire fan base gave up on him too.  Less than 2,500 fans in the stands on the opening night of a post season game shows the Administration that the fans were DONE and wanted a change.  They over paid AJ, he failed to produce at a high enough level for the salary he was getting, and he didn't show any signs he could do better.  

Want to know something funny?  Alabama paid Avery more annually than Auburn pays Pearl.  Always better to use smart money than lots of money.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Want to know something funny?  Alabama paid Avery more annually than Auburn pays Pearl.  Always better to use smart money than lots of money.

No offense but we have no right to make fun of any program for overpaying a head coach. 

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

he failed to produce at a high enough level for the salary he was getting, and he didn't show any signs he could do better.  

That sounds familiar for some reason.:-\

15 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

No offense but we have no right to make fun of any program for overpaying a head coach. 

I am very offended.  Take that back!  :realmad:

I'm only kidding.  :bananadance:

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I'm totally adverse to paying a high priced Head Coach who turns in mediocre to poor results.  Any Administration that chooses to over pay for a middling product and then continues to do so are idiots. 

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Prohm sounds like he’s not interested in the gig. Will be really interesting to see who they go after but I’d give them a zero percent chance of landing Chris Beard

Where do you get that from? His quotes to me tell me he IS interested but bc he just got bounced out of the tournament, and his AD was standing near him when he was asked if he was interested, he used the standard current HC comments. 

I think he would  crawl to be a part of the SEC, knowing he graduated from Alabama...

One of he al.com hacks today was pushing the Pitino candidacy.....well maybe not seriously since mostly what he did was use that possibility to take shots at AU for hiring Bruce and making their transgressions equivalent....ignoring RP's history of shady stuff. .   

But Rick P would fit in well at bama and with the shield of protection that covers that school he could pretty much get away with anything and no fear of NCAA attention. 

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

One of he al.com hacks today was pushing the Pitino candidacy.....well maybe not seriously since mostly what he did was use that possibility to take shots at AU for hiring Bruce and making their transgressions equivalent....ignoring RP's history of shady stuff. .   

But Rick P would fit in well at bama and with the shield of protection that covers that school he could pretty much get away with anything and no fear of NCAA attention. 

I read that article today as well. I agree with you. He would benefit greatly at Alabama due to protections.

15 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

Has his firing been officially announced yet?  Or is it just rumor like the Gus situation a few months ago?

Just became official per many on Twitter 

Archived