Bama has hired Nate Oats

GwillMac6

The now former Buffalo Bulls Head Coach. 

This is the home run hire they wanted?

Either he's going to flame out like Anthony Grant or he's going to be a Will Wade and make it rain on recruits

Just now, augolf1716 said:

humm.....could be a good hire but also could be a biggggggggggg bust. Doubt he causes much excitement among turd fans................

They had their heart set on Thad Matta. They def are let down right now. Reading their message boards the last week they did not want to make another mid major hire.

I think he’s a great coach, but this seems like a rebuild hire. Fine by me! We should absolutely take over the state in recruiting if we want to

6 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I think he’s a great coach, but this seems like a rebuild hire. Fine by me! We should absolutely take over the state in recruiting if we want to

Nike AAU system and all the high profile kids in state being on Nike AAU teams is why we have not taken over since we are a Under Armour School.......... Having said that It is a rebuild hire just for the fact that literally their whole team is transferring out! I hope they are Vandy level bad next season lol. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Bama has hired Nate Oats
3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nike AAU system and all the high profile kids in state being on Nike AAU teams is why we have not taken over since we are a Under Armour School.......... Having said that It is a rebuild hire just for the fact that literally their whole team is transferring out! 

And add to that just a general Bama bias within high school athletics anyway. But I def don’t expect the Pettys, Lewises, and Watfords to be committing to UA over AU anytime soon. Prob will just become a UK pipeline tbh

Just now, djg0017 said:

And add to that just a general Bama bias within high school athletics anyway. But I def don’t expect the Pettys, Lewises, and Watfords to be committing to UA over AU anytime soon. Prob will just become a UK pipeline tbh

Watford seems to be a anywhere but AU situation unless we hire his high school coach to fill the vacant assistant coaching position I am assuming we are going to have after the season. You right though. Infuriating isn't it? Watford is probaly going to go to Memphis to play for Penny Hardaway if Duke does not give him a commitable offer. 

17 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Nobody wanting to play second (or third) fiddle to Nick....and players bailing out one by one....Petty is next according to al.com.   Might work out OK in the long run but poor guy will be starting with nothing since the new transfer rule has gone into effect. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Nobody wanting to play second (or third) fiddle to Nick....and players bailing out one by one....Petty is next according to al.com.   Might work out OK in the long run but poor guy will be starting with nothing since the new transfer rule has gone into effect. 

Yeah word seems to be that players were going to look around anyway because of not seeing eye to eye with Avery. I think Lewis is the only one with a chance to stay

3 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Yeah word seems to be that players were going to look around anyway because of not seeing eye to eye with Avery. I think Lewis is the only one with a chance to stay

Kira Lewis apparently announced yesterday....Petty makes four rats leaving the sinking ship. ..one a grad transfer however. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Kira Lewis apparently announced yesterday....Petty makes four rats leaving the sinking ship. ..one a grad transfer however. 

they can all still return to bama, but they've just entered the transfer portal which allows them to  be in contact with coaches from other schools.

No idea what to think of this hire. Is this guy the truth or is he just taking advantage of the upperclassmen foundation that Bobby Hurley left him with? Who knows but it doesn't look like he has any ties to the south which could be a bit rough for him at first. Bruce and the dude from FSU pretty much already dominate the honey hole of top recruits from ATL so this dude is gonna have to find some other oasis of talented children if he wants to build up bama. I wish him nothing but misery and failure

10 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Bruce and the dude from FSU pretty much already dominate the honey hole of top recruits from ATL so this dude is gonna have to find some other oasis of talented children if he wants to build up bama. I wish him nothing but misery and failure

Avery got some good instate talent and he will probably do as well there too but don't see him as the guy cause season tickets to sell out right away. I share your hopes for his future....

As for the guys in the portal, lots of schools would seem to offer some better prospects...and not far away.....like Tennessee for example. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As for the guys in the portal, lots of schools would seem to offer some better prospects...and not far away.....like Tennessee for example. 

It just depends. Guys like Petty and Lewis could potentially play themselves in the nba draft if they develop enough next season. Would they want to postpone that by a year by transferring and sitting out next season? It's something they'll definitely have to think about. Lewis can probably transfer anywhere he wants to after the season he just had as a 17 year old. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them all. I'd love for Herb Jones to transfer to auburn though. 

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

It just depends. Guys like Petty and Lewis could potentially play themselves in the nba draft if they develop enough next season. Would they want to postpone that by a year by transferring and sitting out next season? It's something they'll definitely have to think about. Lewis can probably transfer anywhere he wants to after the season he just had as a 17 year old. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them all. I'd love for Herb Jones to transfer to auburn though. 

Coach fired at bama.....these guys have as much argument about immediate playing time when the transfer as Martel did when he went to Miami.     JMO but they will be able to go anywhere they want to and not sit out.....that one year waiting period is about a thing of the past as are the conference restrictions...JMO. 

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Coach fired at bama.....these guys have as much argument about immediate playing time when the transfer as Martel did when he went to Miami.     JMO but they will be able to go anywhere they want to and not sit out.....that one year waiting period is about a thing of the past as are the conference restrictions...JMO. 

We’ll see. I think the coach firing thing only applies to recruits getting out of the NLOIs. So the recruits they just signed could go somewhere else now unless the school wanted to jerks. I still think the players will have to sit out a year if they decide to leave

14 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

We’ll see. I think the coach firing thing only applies to recruits getting out of the NLOIs. So the recruits they just signed could go somewhere else now unless the school wanted to jerks. I still think the players will have to sit out a year if they decide to leave

I think Martel was a redshirt but he had a year in at tOSU and does anyone really believe that Fields was in fear of his safety at UGA?   It'll be interesting to watch and I hope the whole starting five abandons ship...:)

It seems that the big name is more important in the basketball world for top recruits, at least until the younger coaches have established themselves through several successful seasons of tournament runs or knocking off some big boys. I just think Bama has allowed us to extend the gap a little until he can establish himself.  I think he could be a good hire, just not the right time IMO anyways. 

Yesterday, Steve Moulton (Huntsville) was interviewing some idiot on his radio show who swore up and down that Nate Oats has the most upside of any NCAA bball coach in America.  He called it a home run hire for Alabama.  He compared Oats to Mike White.

Must have been a paid interview by the Damn Bammers to try and salvage their recruits and players who entered the transfer protocol after Avery Johnson was terminated.

2 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yesterday, Steve Moulton (Huntsville) was interviewing some idiot on his radio show who swore up and down that Nate Oats has the most upside of any NCAA bball coach in America.  He called it a home run hire for Alabama.  He compared Oats to Mike White.

Must have been a paid interview by the Damn Bammers to try and salvage their recruits and players who entered the transfer protocol after Avery Johnson was terminated.

lol and Mike White is supposed to be  some bright shining example of what a home run hire is? Florida fans all season on their 247 board wanted him fired hahaha. 

Archived