UVA Scouting report

TexasTiger

As has been mentioned before, they do not play a deep bench.  Even though they play 8 guys, only 6 get significant time.  If you can get them into foul trouble, they then have to adjust and change things up.  This will put pressure on them and make them play different from what they are accustomed to playing.  How do we get them into foul trouble?  It has already been said that their defense packs the paint, so driving will be difficult to draw fouls.  They also sacrifice offensive rebounds to get back on defense to prevent transition baskets on the fast break, which would make them foul to keep from giving up the easy basket.  So how to get them in foul trouble?  Can we?  We have to get off to a fast start and hopefully get a good lead and make them play catch up.  Bryce and Semir have got to play awesome defense on their two best guards and let the others have to beat us on offense.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I hate this matchup. UVA is slow and boring. Basically they are the anti auburn - slow, don’t turn it over, wait until 10 sec left on the shot clock, and they always get back on D. 

We have struggled against EVERY Team that has played this way this year: ole miss, nm state, uab. Every team that has slowed us down and milked the shot clock has either beaten us or could have beaten us. 

Of course we are different now so I Still think we win - by hitting our shots. 

I think the biggest difference now versus some of those other teams that excelled at this strategy like OM, is that Auburn’s guards have excelled at running their matchups off the 3 pt line in the half court and we’ve done a primarily better job of finding good looks in the same area. The transition threes uptick has been an obvious factor for success, but I don’t know if that’s gonna be there. Their guards match up frame wise but they aren’t comparably athletic to say a Dunbar or JVon, depending on the matchups anyway. I think Kihei is quick, but Jared should be able to muscle around him, force Diakite and Hunter to step up a little, and hopefully have Bryce or Samir waiting in the wings. 

The dump off also could be there if the team is hot and they can’t sell out to pack it in. 

Auburn fans.  One- congratulations on a well-deserved Final Four trip!  As a Wahoo, we are excited to be there with you and look forward to the match-up.  Now with respect to your comments on UVA and speed.  You will not speed us up. It won't happen.  We keep 3 back after a shot to ensure it....look at what we did to UNC AT UNC with a top five pace at the time in terms of possessions.  And that was After we lost to Duke only two days before....we don't allow teams to speed us up...period.  Also- Marshall has one of the highest paces in the Country too...result..we scored 100 and they had 64.  Now- I DO believe you can win this game if you all go off on 3s....that is how Duke beat us the 2nd time.  But not pace...

A lot of people here seem to be acting like UVA isn't going to be tough. Well... they are. They're going to slow us down and we're going to have to run some smart offense and play great defense long into the shot clock to beat them.

A team does not go 16-2 in the ACC without being incredibly talented.

2 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

A lot of people here seem to be acting like UVA isn't going to be tough. Well... they are. They're going to slow us down and we're going to have to run some smart offense and play great defense long into the shot clock to beat them.

I think most of us know they will be tough . I think most of us also know we beat two two very tough teams  and incredible teams as well. We got enough people outside of this forum pricking against us. Let us be confident in our team.

The key is hitting shots early and jumping on them ala Kansas. I don’t care how much of a pace you prefer, if you are down bunches early, you will have to adapt or lose. The good thing is this team has seem to find out how to play an half court game even though we prefer the transition 3.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The key is hitting shots early and jumping on them ala Kansas. I don’t care how much of a pace you prefer, if you are down bunches early, you will have to adapt or lose. The good thing is this time has seem to find out how to play an half court game even though we prefer the transition 3.

If UVA plays our guards like Ole Miss did, we better adjust, or we will struggle most of the game.

I think the early part of the game is usually a feeling each other out type of play, since we have never played each other over the years. We can win if we get some points from these guys, Purifoy, Dunbar, Anferee and McCormack to help support our 2 guards. I don't expect them to get 50 points again. UVA is too disciplined on defense.

3 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Some things do stack in our favor though. The pack line defense wasn’t designed to beat a team like Auburn.

That being said, they wouldn’t have finished the regular season ranked #2 if they couldn’t adjust to different styles of offense.

I am so glad UVA beat Purdue.    Purdue really would have been a worse matchup for us I honestly believe.   And their 3 point guy is on a streak like Brown was against KS and UNC.

I don't think we could have a better match up at this point.

Hey, FSU beat them and they lost 2 other games;  they can lose again I am sure.  

3 hours ago, Evwahoo said:

Auburn fans.  One- congratulations on a well-deserved Final Four trip!  As a Wahoo, we are excited to be there with you and look forward to the match-up.  Now with respect to your comments on UVA and speed.  You will not speed us up. It won't happen.  We keep 3 back after a shot to ensure it....look at what we did to UNC AT UNC with a top five pace at the time in terms of possessions.  And that was After we lost to Duke only two days before....we don't allow teams to speed us up...period.  Also- Marshall has one of the highest paces in the Country too...result..we scored 100 and they had 64.  Now- I DO believe you can win this game if you all go off on 3s....that is how Duke beat us the 2nd time.  But not pace...

What he doesn't mention is they really are more in line with the '92 bammer football team.  Offensively they really are a wish and a prayer, that's how they forced overtime. Yes, they do have two guys who are pretty good at threes, but are SUPER streaky. Their big guys are mainly for defense. Defensively they are the stuff.  And they are a great group of kids.  I know, I run into many of them on campus.  But they are NOT deep.  The UK game showed that we can play at their pace.  That, in and of itself is disconcerting to them. They will not let us run ours, but, if we play physical with them...there is the ticket.  If they get into foul trouble, they WILL be forced to match our pace, and they cannot do that.  

But honestly, we can play with these guys in their style and beat them.  Will be a hell of a game.

One other thing, this is a matchup of two class programs and schools.  We, and the rest of the country need to relish that.

I, for one, love to see two/three teams that aren’t blue bloods playing in the final four! MSU has some success and not a blue blood in this sense, but y’all know what I mean. It’s getting old seeing the same schools year after year in the championship of every sport... football, basketball and baseball. War Eagle 🦅 baby!!! As Gwill would say,” leeeet’s goooo wooooo AU!!!!

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

If UVA plays our guards like Ole Miss did, we better adjust, or we will struggle most of the game.

I think the early part of the game is usually a feeling each other out type of play, since we have never played each other over the years. We can win if we get some points from these guys, Purifoy, Dunbar, Anferee and McCormack to help support our 2 guards. I don't expect them to get 50 points again. UVA is too disciplined on defense.

Virginia doesn’t have the athletes able to get up and down that Ole Miss does some at the guard position. I don’t believe they’ll be able to defend us in the same fashion. 

Our 4 out 1 in alignment should allow us to get some open looks if we make the right passes. See the pack line thread. 

On 4/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, fishepa said:

Turn them over and try to speed up the play of the game.  They will slow it down.  They have three good players, Guy, Hunter, and Jerome.

I really think Coach Pearl has a plan to get UVA to play his kind of ball.  I do not see UVA being anywhere as good or better than the teams we have already faced and beaten to get to where we are now. This team believes in itself and this can and will be a game changer for us. I love our chances very much at this point. We have shown that if you take away our best player, someone else will assume that role and will keep the pressure coming. We are a team of destiny at this point and one that is very dangerous to play.  I doubt UVA is any better than the big blue bloods we have already taken down.

More power to these ferocious bunch of tigers! 

I don't understand how some of you think that UVA isn't as good as some of the teams we've played.  They only lost 3 games for a reason.  I expect this to be a dog fight and just hope that we can come out on top.

20 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I don't understand how some of you think that UVA isn't as good as some of the teams we've played.  They only lost 3 games for a reason.  I expect this to be a dog fight and just hope that we can come out on top.

Yes sir, this is correct.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I really think Coach Pearl has a plan to get UVA to play his kind of ball.  I do not see UVA being anywhere as good or better than the teams we have already faced and beaten to get to where we are now. This team believes in itself and this can and will be a game changer for us. I love our chances very much at this point. We have shown that if you take away our best player, someone else will assume that role and will keep the pressure coming. We are a team of destiny at this point and one that is very dangerous to play.  I doubt UVA is any better than the big blue bloods we have already taken down.

More power to these ferocious bunch of tigers! 

We will try to push when we can, but 70+% of this game will very likely be in the half court. They send three back as the shot goes up to prevent breaks. You simply can't run on that very much. 

15 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We will try to push when we can, but 70+% of this game will very likely be in the half court. They send three back as the shot goes up to prevent breaks. You simply can't run on that very much. 

makes sense....I am confident the CBP & staff will have a game plan to attack this defensive strategy. We need to pressure them and make it difficult for UVA to have good shots. With 3 heading down court the second the shot goes off, should give us the best chance for rebounds of which should result in the ability to control our end of the court in order to get the best shot possible. Just my thoughts as to how to counter their defensive strategy. I know enough to be absolutely dangerous when it comes to basketball or any sport as far as this is concerned!

On 4/1/2019 at 8:09 AM, around4ever said:

This always concerns me.  Most people don't realize how much difference the larger venues make in shooting.  The lines in the stadiums are farther away and they go up at a lesser angle. This does affect the depth perception of the shooter.  Hopefully, we can get plenty of shoot around time before the game. 

WDE!

I also heard today that the floor is elevated.  I hope that includes the bench and scorers table.   I hate when the bench is lower than the floor.  

Mac and Danjel will absolutely get plenty of good looks from three. Jared and Bryce will too if they don’t extend their pack line of attack. They haven’t faced anyone that stretches the floor like AU does though. Whether it’s Jared’s crazy past nba length bombs or Mac hitting from all over the arc. That defense is designed to stop 3ish shooters imo. We will have 5 on the court for 25 minutes at least 

If they are sending 3 men back when the ball is shot, that should limit their number of attempts.  If we can limit them to one and done on their offensive possessions, they will have to shoot a good percentage to keep pace.  My hope is that we put a tremendous amount of pressure on their perimeter players and make them work hard for good shots.  If they happen to make some outside shots with alot of pressure on them, I can live with that.  The key is to gobble up every defensive rebound and do not waste possessions on the offensive end.  Play smart and take what the defensive gives you.

As someone who hated the fact that that we are playing in a dome because we rely so much on perimeter shooting, this was an interesting, and somewhat promising read:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-dome-effect-isnt-real-the-nrg-effect-is-complicated/

US Bank Stadium is not listed on here because the data is from 2006-2015 and it opened in 2016. But overall it seems domes affecting shooting is a myth

On 4/2/2019 at 9:03 AM, Evwahoo said:

Thanks for posting.   

I am not a trash talker, but we aren't UNC.    Speed can come at you in many forms during a basketball game.   I believe KS and KY will attest to that.  I will pass along your scheme to Coach Pearl, I am guessing they are watching some youtube clips on UVA today or tomorrow.  

Duke...yeah we came up a few points short to them, before we figured ourselves out.   Somehow you lost to FSU when they hung 69 on you, maybe Coach Pearl can find them on youtube also.  If they  didn't speed things up, I would hate to see what a fast game looks like.  That was probably early in the season before you guys were rolling.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Thanks for posting.   

I am not a trash talker, but we aren't UNC.    Speed can come at you in many forms during a basketball game.   I believe KS and KY will attest to that.  I will pass along your scheme to Coach Pearl, I am guessing they are watching some youtube clips on UVA today or tomorrow.  

Duke...yeah we came up a few points short to them, before we figured ourselves out.   Somehow you lost to FSU when they hung 69 on you, maybe Coach Pearl can find them on youtube also.  If they  didn't speed things up, I would hate to see what a fast game looks like.  That was probably early in the season before you guys were rolling.

UVA lost to FSU in the ACC tournament, but I suspect they weren't very motivated considering that they were already a shoo-in to be a 1-seed in the NCAAs.

Archived