Gus Writes Letter to Former Players

aubiefifty

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Corch got nuked, came back under a different name, and got nuked again. Dude was psycho and super racist. He was really fond of saying he doesn't see color and then immediately rattling off statistics about incarceration rates and such and just generally losing his damned mind if you said it's nice to see something good happening in the community. I'm still blown away by the restraint that some of our fellow posters showed in those conversations. 

I know he had a few fans that are very established and still very active, but I haven't heard them repeat any of that type of rhetoric. I sure hope that's not still going on. 

Really? Maybe that was in the politics forum. I don’t remember in crazy racist remarks for him. Anywho, I will not open that Pandora’s box. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

GWilly, on the other hand, is very quick to offer praise to Gus for the things that he thinks he does well.

This is an outright lie.

If he ever did praise Gus in anything it was to diminish the amount of praise.

His MO has always been to counter a poster’s praise with “but,” and then back to bashing him. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Really? Maybe that was in the politics forum. I don’t remember in crazy racist remarks for him. Anywho, I will not open that Pandora’s box. 

You know what? I have to walk that back because he did not, in fact, make crazy racist remarks. He just said a lot of stuff that made it clear *in my mind* that he was crazy racist. 

And perhaps "crazy racist" is hyperbolic or excessive on my part. Like maybe that label is reserved for things that show up on the news. 

I just know that the dude said over and over again that he doesn't see color and then said a lot of things to make it clear that he's obsessed with the topic, lol. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Corch got nuked, came back under a different name, and got nuked again. Dude was psycho and super racist. He was really fond of saying he doesn't see color and then immediately rattling off statistics about incarceration rates and such and just generally losing his damned mind if you said it's nice to see something good happening in the community. I'm still blown away by the restraint that some of our fellow posters showed in those conversations. 

I know he had a few fans that are very established and still very active, but I haven't heard them repeat any of that type of rhetoric. I sure hope that's not still going on. 

well i have little use for racists and never saw that with corch so he certainly fooled me. all i saw was him being attacked i think because he might have been a sunshine pumper. i said something once on here that made me appear racist since someone turned me in. it made me mad as hell to be accused and then later it made me sad. it is the only time i can ever remember being upset because it was not a true reflection of who i am and what i stand for.

was not corch kind of a religious guy as well? but it is easy to get fooled on here during peak posting seasons because it is hard to keep up with all the posts. shrugs. we live and sometimes in old age we learn..............lol

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

never saw that with corch so he certainly fooled me. all i saw was him being attacked i think because he might have been a sunshine pumper.

I'm not ignoring the rest of your post, but I've probably already overstepped with that other stuff and I've already contributed enough to taking the spotlight away from the OP. And lord knows I don't want to be responsible for turning this into a politics thread.

But I did want to acknowledge that Corch often defended Gus's decisions and he often did a good job of supporting his position when it came to the game of football. I didn't interact with him in the basketball forum. But yes, he was involved in a lot of arguments where he took more of a pro-Gus stance. 

I love this letter it is the type of thing I would expect from Gus. Gus has his deficiencies but he also has his strength's which are sometimes overlooked. One he is a straight arrow with Gus running the program there will be no NCAA type issues, Two and this is big his players always play hard for him and never give up.  When Gus got here our defense was atrocious he has brought in the right defensive coaches and let them run the defense and over last few years we have become a very good defense. 

So those who say Gus has not grown are overlooking the good things. That is not to say that there are no issues with Gus. As has been mentioned multiple times teams have caught up with his O and he has not adjusted. His play calling is predictable and his HUNH is no longer HUNH as he has not recruited multi-faceted players so he has to substitute for each package.  Also I believe Gus has hurt our O-Line recruiting by being to hands on and not listening enough to his O-Line coaches.

There has been some talk that Gus is working on that with players like Shenker, Joner,, Fromm, Deal and that we have seen more O-Line players being offered early on then in the past.    

Kudos to Gus for what he is doing with Alumni players and hoping he has really made some changes this year on the O side.  The scary part in the past I thought Gus was changing but once the season started it was the same old Gus. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Dude was psycho and super racist.

That wasn't who I was referring to, if that matters.  It was someone else who made racist and homophobic comments.  What happened with Corch was he got into an argument and didn't let it go, and then started arguing the the MODS and wouldn't stop.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That wasn't who I was referring to, if that matters.  It was someone else who made racist and homophobic comments.  What happened with Corch was he got into an argument and didn't let it go, and then started arguing the the MODS and wouldn't stop.

Disappointing to hear that. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

This is an outright lie.

If he ever did praise Gus in anything it was to diminish the amount of praise.

His MO has always been to counter a poster’s praise with “but,” and then back to bashing him. 

He is a self proclaimed hater which he openly accepts lol. I don’t know about him praising Gus for coaching in a while but I could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

He is a self proclaimed hater which he openly accepts lol. I don’t know about him praising Gus for coaching in a while but I could be wrong. 

He's praised Gus, but it's directed at off-field matters instead of on-field coaching/personnel decisions 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm so glad I took my time responding because this is exactly it.

There's a big difference between hate and skepticism. One is emotional and the other, in this case, is well supported by data. 

As always, I don't pay attention to W-L totals. Our schedule, in my opinion, don't really allow for a good reading based on that. I pay attention to whether or not our team comes to play. I think most fans do. And if Gus manages a season where we actually come to play every week, then I think that we'll see a lot more positivity from all but the most irrational fans.  

Yes, first and foremost most of us want the team to come to play every week as we navigate our always tough schedule. However as time goes by, the reality is it will always come down to that unbiased and cruel W/L record. I said earlier a minimum of 9 wins a year will go a long way and I think that's true. He can do that.

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes, first and foremost most of us want the team to come to play every week as we navigate our always tough schedule. However as time goes by, the reality is it will always come down to that unbiased and cruel W/L record. I said earlier a minimum of 9 wins a year will go a long way and I think that's true.

I can only speak to what it comes down to for me.

If we lose games in similar fashion(s) to how we've lost them these last few years then 9-10 wins will not lead me to a positive review of the season and I would be disappointed if we didn't make an attempt to improve the situation. 

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's praised Gus, but it's directed at off-field matters instead of on-field coaching/personnel decisions 

Yes that’s my understanding as well.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Thanks Bird and my brother, brodie and fam @McLoofus for having my back in here and just simply telling the truth lol. It is pretty simple. Anyways me and Loofy have always said Gus has all the ingredients to be a GREAT CEO coach. The things he does best when it comes to being a Head Coach speak to this and back up this theory of ours. He unfortunately sees himself as a Sean McVay type. If he could just be more like Dabo and approach being a Head Coach like he does we could really get on a roll and there would be no turning back. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thanks Bird and my brother, brodie and fam @McLoofus for having my back in here and just simply telling the truth lol. It is pretty simple. Anyways me and Loofy have always said Gus has all the ingredients to be a GREAT CEO coach. The things he does best when it comes to being a Head Coach speak to this and back up this theory of ours. He unfortunately sees himself as a Sean McVay type. If he could just be more like Dabo and approach being a Head Coach like he does we could really get on a roll and there would be no turning back. 

He is not Dabo. He is not Bruce Pearl. He doesn't have to be them. He needs to be Gus and regain that swagger that he came in with. And I hope he does. And 110 disagree with you and continue calling you out if you argue that he should be more like them. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

He is not Dabo. He is not Bruce Pearl. He doesn't have to be them. He needs to be Gus and regain that swagger that he came in with. And I hope he does. And 110 disagree with you and continue calling you out if you argue that he should be more like them. 

lol k.  You have your opinion that is the first time of me hearing it and this is mine. No problem at all. I am glad we disagree. It goes back to my post from yesterday about what makes this place so fun and entertaining is all the different opinions. I appreciate you letting me know what yours was because I def did not know where you stand. THIS IS AWESOME BABY!!! WOOOO!!!!!! Be more like Bruce Pearl?! IF ONLY. OMGSH my heart can only take so much Bruce Pearl on Auburn sport teams. You making my heart flutter even thinking about that possibility of more of our coaches being like my all time favorite AU coach BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!! haha. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol k.  You have your opinion that is the first time of me hearing it and this is mine. No problem at all. I am glad we disagree. It goes back to my post from yesterday about what makes this place so fun and entertaining is all the different opinions. I appreciate you letting me know what yours was because I def did not know where you stand. THIS IS AWESOME BABY!!! WOOOO!!!!!! Be more like Bruce Pearl?! IF ONLY. OMGSH my heart can only take so much Bruce Pearl on Auburn sport teams. You making my heart flutter even thinking about that possibility of more of our coaches being like my all time favorite AU coach BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!! haha. 

You just make sure you keep that opinion if we take a significant step basketball (Which I hope we don't) next year in basketball. Remember at one point of time NFL fans were wanting Gus to coach their teams. Just some perspective here.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

You just make sure you keep that opinion if we take a significant step basketball (Which I hope we don't) next year in basketball. Remember at one point of time NFL fans were wanting Gus to coach their teams. Just some perspective here.

We will take a step back (because DUH we are not going to a final 4 next year lol we will probaly be a bubble team with who all we lose and potentially lose) but I believe Bruce is a top 10 coach in the college game and I trust and believe in him wholeheartedly even during down years. Mine and others minds were always at ease even though the first 3 years were rocky because he is a proven head coach and did it at the SEC level before AU. As far as Gus goes? I just react to what I am seeing on the field. At the end of 2017 I repented for all of my Gus hating ways because I was like WOW! This is it. IT IS HAPPENING! He finally figured out. HERE WE GO! I thought it was vroom vroom off to the races and there was no looking back. I should of listened to MR  @fredst. He cautioned me to tread lightly and that a 2 game sample size was not enough to warrant matching Arky's big time offer. I got burned on that and that is shame on me. I should of known better but I was on a total high from that Georgia and Bama games and got emotional. I am right the least out of anyone in here. So when Gus proves me wrong I am always more than happy to admit it. WAR EAGLE!!! LETS HAVE A GREAT WEEK AND GO GET OURSELVES A RAYJON TUCKER!!! WOOOOO!!!!

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

The question isn't whether or not Bruce takes a step back from 2019. Of course he will. The question is whether or not the program takes a step back from where we were when he got here. 2019 was the culmination of 5 years of him steadily building the program, and 2020 is probably going to still be a much better year than most of what has happened in AU basketball, ever. 

Gus had lightning strike in year 1 and it's more or less been a steady decline since.

As for Pearl and Dabo and swagger, that's exactly what they have that Gus doesn't but that you say you want him to get back. Well, that and trusting their guys to do their jobs and make plays. It's all wrapped up in one mindset. It's the mindset that let Dabo beat Gus the last two times they met even though our defense played lights out. 

I mean, do we seriously not want Gus to take some notes from the most successful coach in college football the last 3 years? 

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

4047081.gif

And lol at Gus being the CEO coach. We need him to be the offensive coordinator that we hired as HC. If anything Gus is anti CEO material. He’s stubborn, paranoid, and only wants things ran his way.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The question isn't whether or not Bruce takes a step back from 2019. Of course he will. The question is whether or not the program takes a step back from where we were when he got here. 2019 was the culmination of 5 years of him steadily building the program, and 2020 is probably going to still be a much better year than most of what has happened in AU basketball, ever. 

Gus had lightning strike in year 1 and it's more or less been a steady decline since.

As for Pearl and Dabo and swagger, that's exactly what they have that Gus doesn't but that you say you want him to get back. Well, that and trusting their guys to do their jobs and make plays. It's all wrapped up in one mindset. It's the mindset that let Dabo beat Gus the last two times they met even though our defense played lights out. 

I mean, do we seriously not want Gus to take some notes from the most successful coach in college football the last 3 years? 

I could be wrong, but when we talk about Dabo and Pearl here, most seem to express interest in their personality types. However, I think it’s tolerable or likeable because they are winning. There were folks jumping on Pearl for his ‘mistakes’ on various forums when Auburn was doing so hot early on.

With how we have hired football HCs in the past, I don’t think we are in a bad spot. Just take a look at the FSU folks who were pumped about Taggart heading into 2017 and what they are saying now. The fun and games become negatives when the losses pile up. 

I think I am with DAG. Let Gus be Gus and don’t make him be anyone else. If he gets canned, I don’t want it to be a what if he was allowed to do X or anything like that. Yeah it seems we have trended down, but that is gonna happen when you make the national title year 1. We did make it back to an SEC title chance in 2017. We just have to find a way to make the program more consistent, and unfortunately, it revolves around building the trenches. OL recruiting may be his last nail in the coffin.

5 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I could be wrong, but when we talk about Dabo and Pearl here, most seem to express interest in their personality types. However, I think it’s tolerable or likeable because they are winning. There were folks jumping on Pearl for his ‘mistakes’ on various forums when Auburn was doing so hot early on.

With how we have hired football HCs in the past, I don’t think we are in a bad spot. Just take a look at the FSU folks who were pumped about Taggart heading into 2017 and what they are saying now. The fun and games become negatives when the losses pile up. 

I think I am with DAG. Let Gus be Gus and don’t make him be anyone else. If he gets canned, I don’t want it to be a what if he was allowed to do X or anything like that. Yeah it seems we have trended down, but that is gonna happen when you make the national title year 1. We did make it back to an SEC title chance in 2017. We just have to find a way to make the program more consistent, and unfortunately, it revolves around building the trenches. OL recruiting may be his last nail in the coffin.

I think Dabo and Pearls personalities really really help even when they were losing/ not winning as much. It is the Saban type of personality that only works when you win at a consistent elite all time great level like he does. You cannot have a personality like that and lose. Look at Swamp Donkey at florida. The first chance they had to can him at florida they did so. And the man made the sec title game in his first 2 seasons. Shows you how unlikeable he was and how badly they wanted to get rid of him lol. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

thats what i thought but my memory is so bad i had to give it a pass.........

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He was a spiteful SOB as our OC that wanted to score as much and as often as possible on anyone. He tried to embarrass defenses and would openly mock them. That's what I miss., That's what I want him to recapture, and that's what has been missing since the 2014 TAMU game.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

several of the folks wanting to replace gus named boom and brohm and others and in my personal opinion they are way worse than gus.

Archived