Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

SoftballAmerica.com has the full softball transfer portal. It appears to be updated daily.

https://www.softballamerica.com/stories/ncaa-softball-division-i-transfer-tracker/

Carmyn Greenwood and Tate Moseley are both in the transfer portal...

https://www.al.com/auburn/2019/05/auburn-softball-player-carmyn-greenwood-enters-transfer-portal.html

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why Fornis started every SEC game over Greenwood.   Maybe it was the Senior thing.  I can't blame Greenwood for wanting to transfer. 

That's gonna leave us a bit short in the outfield, with two starters graduating.  Returning will be Rivera, Maresette, and Godwin, plus Rachel Cook, who had one at-bat this year, I think.  Two freshmen coming in - Majors and Calvert.  Greenwood's sister plays for Louisville - that could be the driving force there.  I'm sure Louisville would like to have someone with Greenwood's ability.  Moseley sounds like a repeat of the Schiele saga - use an Auburn scholly for a year while you recuperate from surgery, then transfer out.  That could get old quickly.  But overall, not too surprised to see a couple hit the portal.

Other than affect ing depth ....considering nobody much is hitting, a few transfers won't hurt ....just hoping the quality of incoming players is better.

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

I am not an insider by any means, but it appears to me that we have the wrong guy for the job.  

That could be but I guess he should have a chance to get "his" players.   JMO, it will matter a lot what his incoming class looks like...

One thing I have learned is that some coaches simply have that ability to get better results out of players even the ones that take over and start off w the prior coaches players. 

Meyers did that well.  I don’t remember that many players left or transferred when he came on.  But he elevated most of those players individually and as a team. 

With Dean( and some of this may be from the bad taste CM and the handling of left some players) but more seem to have left and continue to leave. Is it possible that Dean’s personality does not motivate enough or raise current players level of play like Meyers seemed to do?

I am willing for Dean to bring in his players over the next 2 years and see how we progress. But the bottom line is we want to continue that championship level of play Meyers brought. 

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

One thing I have learned is that some coaches simply have that ability to get better results out of players even the ones that take over and start off w the prior coaches players. 

Meyers did that well.  I don’t remember that many players left or transferred when he came on.  But he elevated most of those players individually and as a team. 

With Dean( and some of this may be from the bad taste CM and the handling of left some players) but more seem to have left and continue to leave. Is it possible that Dean’s personality does not motivate enough or raise current players level of play like Meyers seemed to do?

I am willing for Dean to bring in his players over the next 2 years and see how we progress. But the bottom line is we want to continue that championship level of play Meyers brought. 

No more "likes"....so ...agree with your comments.

The jury is still out for me.  James Madison had a 30-26 record in 2012, and Dean was hired for the 2013 season.  He came from Radford, where he'd had excellent results.  In 2013, the Dukes went 42-17 and continued in that vein as long as Dean was there.  It is  not coincidental that 2013 was Jailyn Ford's first year at JMU.  Dean had either Ford or Megan Good, or both, every year he was at JMU.  In 2016, Ford's senior year, they went 50-6.  I doubt that Dean recruited Ford, since she arrived concurrently with him.  So the question is, is Dean a really good coach who gets improved results, or was he just lucky that Jailyn Ford and Megan Good fell into his lap?

For sure he can't be judged fairly by this year, with Martin being injured.  So yeah, he's gotta get another year or two.

No statistical info to back this up, IMO you hire people that have already had success at the highest level. Quit trying to hire assistants or people that were successful at lower tiers of competition. It means you probably pay more, but you are getting more of a proven product. I think that is why the jury is still out on baseball and softball, and in football has just about run its course.

51 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

No statistical info to back this up, IMO you hire people that have already had success at the highest level. Quit trying to hire assistants or people that were successful at lower tiers of competition. It means you probably pay more, but you are getting more of a proven product. I think that is why the jury is still out on baseball and softball, and in football has just about run its course.

Probably a good theory but from my observation those people rarely leave a good situation....even for money.   Kirby had never coached before UGa and AU people seem to love him, even though the jury is still out on him in my view...but Uga took a chance and seems to be paying off.   

There seems to be very few sure thing coaching changes in college sports.  I recall , for example, when Morris went to Arky, there were a lot of people wanting him for AU....but that was a couple years ago and I think he has now dropped off the "preferred" list.  

JMO but you take your chance,  hire the best guy you can afford and one who seems to fit the program....and hope it works out......and sometimes it does and sometimes not.  :dunno:    So we are still watching and waiting in several sports at the moment. ...but if you look around the SEC, or the nation, there are not many schools who are set for the long run in more than a couple major sports. ..we just normally don't pay attention to turnover at other schools. 

On 5/24/2019 at 10:36 AM, 80Tiger said:

I like your theory, but it's not always possible.  When we hired Dean, Myers had just just resigned, #30 had filed her complaint - rumors don't belong here  Most of us were pretty happy we could get someone of Dean's stature.  Maybe we could have gotten Mike White, idk.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:43 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

I like your theory, but it's not always possible.  When we hired Dean, Myers had just just resigned, #30 had filed her complaint, and rumors don't belong here Most of us were pretty happy we could get someone of Dean's stature.  Maybe we could have gotten Mike White, idk.

Seems like we are often involved in some kind of crisis management at the same time we are looking for a new coach.    Guess it begins with the fact that I can't recall the last AU coach to voluntarily give up his job....maybe Hal Baird?  and before that it was Joel Eaves perhaps   :dunno: 

On 5/24/2019 at 1:43 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

I like your theory, but it's not always possible.  When we hired Dean, Myers had just just resigned, #30 had filed her complaint rumors don't belong here  Most of us were pretty happy we could get someone of Dean's stature.  Maybe we could have gotten Mike White, idk.

I think you are right. And our AD needed a coach that had a squeaky clean resume, and a good communicator with the ladies. And Dean had a pretty good record resume even if it was not had a Power 5 school....

Now, over the next 2 years, we will be getting into the mode of whether Dean can recruit top level players (especially pitchers) consistently, and get his teams to have better conference records in order to host a NCAA regional and super-regional. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems like we are often involved in some kind of crisis management at the same time we are looking for a new coach.    Guess it begins with the fact that I can't recall the last AU coach to voluntarily give up his job....maybe Hal Baird?  and before that it was Joel Eaves perhaps   :dunno: 

Terry Bowden kind of did. lol...

Just now, steeleagle said:

Terry Bowden kind of did. lol...

Perhaps.....:)  was that before or after he was thought to be messing with some female staff member?   

But I remember that day clearly...was headed down to AU from the Carolina's to see the game and got the news on the radio while in route....crazy day...and Bill Oliver got his HC tryout for the rest of the season...

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Perhaps.....:)  was that before or after he was thought to be messing with some female staff member?   

But I remember that day clearly...was headed down to AU from the Carolina's to see the game and got the news on the radio while in route....crazy day...and Bill Oliver got his HC tryout for the rest of the season...

If I remember it, I think the female staff members (and baby sitter) rumors came out after he resigned. My understanding is that he heard he would be fired at years end, bc he was a lazy recruiter and some other issues within the program, so he beat them to it and resigned mid-season...

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If I remember it, I think the female staff members (and baby sitter) rumors came out after he resigned. My understanding is that he heard he would be fired at years end, bc he was a lazy recruiter and some other issues within the program, so he beat them to it and resigned mid-season...

That's my recollection ..and then when we were looking for a coach the Bobby Lowder issue came up...and TB's issues too.....as I say, it's never just a clean process of going out and finding the guy you really want....well, rarely the first choice anyway. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's my recollection ..and then when we were looking for a coach the Bobby Lowder issue came up...and TB's issues too.....as I say, it's never just a clean process of going out and finding the guy you really want....well, rarely the first choice anyway. 

True, but I will say this. Terry Bowden was a very good on the field coach, and knew his x's and o's. 

Just as Jeff Lebo to me was a good court coach, but alas both of these coaches couldn't recruit well or do some of the other things needed to have a consistent championship level team.

• 2 weeks later...

You can add Chardonnay Harris to the list leaving. It’s truly sad to see the softball program go down the drain. We have had season tickets since Myers was here. It’s sure not what it was. Dean should put his name in transfer portal 

Archived