2021 4* Stud Dylan Brooks (2/20: Commits To AU!

ellitor

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

If KN is breaking that news then that is great for AU imo.   Who for TN would have to approve the release?  Would that be Steele?   

I am not sure, but with alleged level 1 and level 2 violations, I do not think they (whoever is in charge of approval or denial) have a choice but to release him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

If KN is breaking that news then that is great for AU imo.   Who for TN would have to approve the release?  Would that be Steele?   

Tennessee has no say in the matter. The NCAA has ruled that Tennessee signees can void their letter of intent if they so choose, because of the current scandal.

Here's more details:

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tennessee has no say in the matter. The NCAA has ruled that Tennessee signees can void their letter of intent if they so choose, because of the current scandal.

Here's more details:

Until the NCAA formally charges Tennessee with violations Tennessee may still have to approve or deny the request. I don’t believe the NCAA has formally charged Tennessee on anything yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dking said:

“It was just the best thing for me,” Brooks told AL.com in a text message.

Recruits can file a release request after signing an NLI.

The request would then likely need to be granted by Tennessee for him to be eligible for the 2021 season at another school.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Brooks is the No. 2 senior prospect in the state, according to the 247 composite rankings. He was No. 4 on AL.com’s updated A-list of top senior recruits.

Edited by Ausburn2

It would be more surprising if he doesn't end up at Auburn at this point. Now, how long will the NCAA take to approve his request to be released from his NLI? Surprised we're not hearing about another Tennessee player or two.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

It would be more surprising if he doesn't end up at Auburn at this point. Now, how long will, the NCAA take to approve his request to be released from his NLI? Surprised we're not hearing about another Tennessee player or two.

In the past they have moved rather quickly on these requests, even though that is contrary to their normal way of doing things.

Now, remember that AU has had a coaching change too. Any of our signees that haven't enrolled in school can request that their letter be voided with some expectation that the request will be approved.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In the past they have moved rather quickly on these requests, even though that is contrary to their normal way of doing things.

Now, remember that AU has had a coaching change too. Any of our signees that haven't enrolled in school can request that their letter be voided with some expectation that the request will be approved.

I understand but after Sharife got hosed out of half of his freshman season I don't trust those bastards lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I understand but after Sharife got hosed out of half of his freshman season I don't trust those bastards lol.

I don't trust them either, but if there is a wave of UT signees wanting out, I don't think they can be so obvious as to deny the request of a player heading to AU and approve others that are going elsewhere. Safety in  numbers?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Until the NCAA formally charges Tennessee with violations Tennessee may still have to approve or deny the request. I don’t believe the NCAA has formally charged Tennessee on anything yet.

E, as I understand it, UT has self-reported violations, & apparently some serious ones. Their chancellor was quoted in the paper here (in Memphis) as finding, through their internal investigation, that Pruitt is guilty of recruiting violations & creating a culture of non-compliance. It was a brutal "take down" of Pruitt. So, the NCAA may not have charged UT yet, but they've admitted guilt. I'm wondering if you know how that circumstance impacts their players who want to leave?

2 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

E, as I understand it, UT has self-reported violations, & apparently some serious ones. Their chancellor was quoted in the paper here (in Memphis) as finding, through their internal investigation, that Pruitt is guilty of recruiting violations & creating a culture of non-compliance. It was a brutal "take down" of Pruitt. So, the NCAA may not have charged UT yet, but they've admitted guilt. I'm wondering if you know how that circumstance impacts their players who want to leave?

@TigerTennis80 I saw the presser and know what’s up on that. I just don’t know yet if the NCAA has to formally charge them with allegations before players can just get out of there NLI without having to have permission from Tennessee to get out of there NLI.

• Like 2

The school has to approve the release for any NLI. The only exception is if NCAA violations result in that particular PSA having to apply to be reinstated; then, the affected PSA can nullify his NLI and go elsewhere. In other words, unless the violations result in eligibility issues for Brooks, UTk has to approve his release.

In prior circumstances where there were NCAA violations (Ole Miss, for example), players currently on the roster were allowed to transfer with immediate eligibility. There were two types of transfers. One, if a member institution is banned from postseason play AND that ban extends the remaining length of an SA's eligibility, he is free to transfer with immediate eligibility. That's why Ole Miss getting a second year bowl ban was such a big deal. It meant their Juniors and Seniors could transfers and play right away.

Two, players transferred and petitioned for immediate eligibility based on hardship or special circumstances. In the Ole Miss example, guys like Shea Patterson claimed (falsely, I might add) that coaches lied to them about the investigation and potential sanctions in order to induce them to sign in the first place. The NCAA bought that pile of crap to avoid a fight with a fairly well-connected plaintiff's lawyer (Tom Mars) who now works for the NCAA. Patterson and others lawyered up to get eligible.

Brooks is in a different spot. Provided the rumored violations do not involve him, UTk is going to have to approve his release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

The school has to approve the release for any NLI. The only exception is if NCAA violations result in that particular PSA having to apply to be reinstated; then, the affected PSA can nullify his NLI and go elsewhere. In other words, unless the violations result in eligibility issues for Brooks, UTk has to approve his release.

In prior circumstances where there were NCAA violations (Ole Miss, for example), players currently on the roster were allowed to transfer with immediate eligibility. There were two types of transfers. One, if a member institution is banned from postseason play AND that ban extends the remaining length of an SA's eligibility, he is free to transfer with immediate eligibility. That's why Ole Miss getting a second year bowl ban was such a big deal. It meant their Juniors and Seniors could transfers and play right away.

Two, players transferred and petitioned for immediate eligibility based on hardship or special circumstances. In the Ole Miss example, guys like Shea Patterson claimed (falsely, I might add) that coaches lied to them about the investigation and potential sanctions in order to induce them to sign in the first place. The NCAA bought that pile of crap to avoid a fight with a fairly well-connected plaintiff's lawyer (Tom Mars) who now works for the NCAA. Patterson and others lawyered up to get eligible.

Brooks is in a different spot. Provided the rumored violations do not involve him, UTk is going to have to approve his release.

@mcgufcmCan you tell us what PSA stands for when you have a minute?

Sorry. Prospective student athlete. And SA = student athlete. That’s the terminology used in the NCAA rules. 

• Thanks 1

Has there been anything official from NCAA declaring the violations with UT? In theory, they can't be allowed transfer due to violations if there aren't any official violations. 

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Has there been anything official from NCAA declaring the violations with UT? In theory, they can't be allowed transfer due to violations if there aren't any official violations. 

@AUBwins 1. No. 2. In theory correct but Tennessee expecting to have violations coming will probably allow players out of their NLIs.

• Thanks 1

That's right. They do not have either an notice of allegations or a negotiated resolution on self-reported violations (side note:  I don't expect a negotiated resolution because the university will object to any institutional control charge and Pruitt will object to any HCR charge). So there is no automatic trigger for transfers.

In practice, however, they're likely to agree to any release requested for an NLI, and I suspect they will not object to any petition for immediate eligibility by a transfer. That last point is not dispositive, but it is a consideration for those petitions.

The public court of opinion is a big threat to UT here. Don't release the players and face negative news articles and pissed off high school coaches.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The public court of opinion is a big threat to UT here. Don't release the players and face negative news articles and pissed off high school coaches.

I’m hoping Tennessee does that without having to be forced into it by public opinion.

One concern is the slowness of the NCAA investigation and ruling process.  Based on other examples it could be a year or more before ultimately decided.  Hopefully they issue a notice of anticipated violations (whatever that is called) and releases players from NLIs at that point and not have to wait for the process to play out.  Otherwise those kids could be stuck in limbo for the 2021 season.  I hope someone here can explain how it works.

• Like 1