Rudi Johnson Feature

StatTiger

Auburn's running game progressively became worse, averaging only 80.5 yards per game from 1997-1999 and 2.4 yards per attempt. Johnson would become a savior for Auburn's running game woes, recording a school record of ten 100-yard rushing performances during the 2000 season. His efforts on the field was a primary reason the Tigers won the SEC-West, making it to the SEC Championship game.

From 1997-1999 Auburn's running backs combined for an average of 9.7 impact plays (15+ yards) per season. Rudi Johnson compiled 21 such plays during his one season on the Plains. With Johnson, there was a return of a "physical edge" to the football team, something the Tigers lacked on offense during the three seasons before he arrived. He lacked speed, but his low center of gravity and physical build made him a difficult target to bring down.

Rudi Johnson made the most of his one season at Auburn and was named All-SEC during the 2000 season. He was later named the SEC Offensive Player of the Year and finished #10 in the Heisman vote. His success at the collegiate level resulted in a 4th round draft selection by the Cincinnati Bengals, where he found great success during his first five seasons as a professional.

https://youtu.be/gWKCEFdCLOE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I love me some Rudi! Talk about going into a season with zero expectations and being pleasantly surprised. We may not have won the national title with Rudi but his instant impact to our team would rank right up there with Cam for instant impact JUCO players. Thanks for the link....i'll plan on watching later this evening. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

I love me some Rudi! Talk about going into a season with zero expectations and being pleasantly surprised. We may not have won the national title with Rudi but his instant impact to our team would rank right up there with Cam for instant impact JUCO players. Thanks for the link....i'll plan on watching later this evening. 

I'll never forget it...after years of agonizing pain with no run game from Tator....Here comes Rudi...very pleasant...

• Like 2

Rudi was a breath of fresh air...........really knew how to hold on to the ball........nearly impossible to strip as many tried.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I loved Rudi so much that I  l named my golden retriever after him.....and it wasn't a slight. That dog was a cherished member of our family and gave us a lot of joy. He could do a little cheer thing and every time he heard "TOUCH DOWN AUBURN" during the games he'd get up and do his little routine. It was priceless. 

Rudi Johnson was a gift to Auburn football at a time when we needed somebody to step up. He was the man. 

• Love 1

As much as I liked Rudi and still do he doesn’t come up much in top ten discussion. He was much much much needed when he came through 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, alexava said:

As much as I liked Rudi and still do he doesn’t come up much in top ten discussion. He was much much much needed when he came through 

Yeppers and Rudi would have started at any school in the country........tells you alot about the history of AU running backs..............Rudi made me believe it was possible to rush for 100 yards again after a seriously long drought.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Yeppers and Rudi would have started at any school in the country........tells you alot about the history of AU running backs..............Rudi made me believe it was possible to rush for 100 yards again after a seriously long drought.

Pretty strong NFL career too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

One of the best calls ever:

”Rudi Johnson, Rudi Johnson! RUDY JOHNSON!” 

I love it. It was Mike Torico but I know some like Jim Fyffe's call on it better. The Rudy Johnson call is the 1st call on Fyffe's video.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

One of the best calls ever:

”Rudi Johnson, Rudi Johnson! RUDY JOHNSON!” 

Was that from the 172 yard run he put on Wyoming? Why yes it was.

When I saw Pettway run, I saw flashbacks of Rudi Johnson. If only...

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 3

Rudi's girl dug me.....he didn't appreciate it.....she came over to the crib.....threats were made....I may or may not have missed a bunch of classes........fear could've been a reason

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

I love it. It was Mike Torico but I know some like Jim Fyffe's call on it better. The Rudy Johnson call is the 1st call on Fyffe's video.

Not possible to watch just one😂............Calvin Jackson call one of my all-time favorite JF calls.......only home game I missed that season.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, cole256 said:

Rudi's girl dug me.....he didn't appreciate it.....she came over to the crib.....threats were made....I may or may not have missed a bunch of classes........fear could've been a reason

I thought that was you Marco😁

On 6/28/2019 at 4:42 PM, cole256 said:

No shame in that, playa. 

Also, we understand if your handle used to be @carl334. 

• Haha 1

The infamous TD run against Wyoming ... first game I ever attended in the student section ... my freshman year at AU.  A Thursday night game.  Those were the days!