Oregon post game

Auburn2Eugene

2 minutes ago, Bathel said:

I would argue that Nix never should have tossed that ball when in FG range and a FG wins. It was late and a poor pass that the defender really should have picked off.

I would argue that Seth was the one that “made a play”...  and for that I’m thankful. 

Poor thing. Sorry you are so disappointed.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the excitement has settled, here are my thought: 

im still super impressed with Bo and it’s mainly based off that last drive. He took the game and made it his. I believe he will definitely get better and he surely has room for improvement. He needs to clean up his throws and cut out the under/over throws but I’m sure he will. Although I won’t hold my breath Gus has got to utilize his quick pass ability better, the TD to Stove is an example. We’ve got too many talented WRs for us to not be utilizing them every play or for not one of them to not be open when Bo scrambles. We’ve got a QB that keeps his eyes down field finally, we need to utilize that. It baffles me that between Schwartz, Stove, Hastings, Hill, and Seth we cant complete more than 13 passes a game. Four of those guys are faster than anyone else out there and Seth is just a dawg who will get it no matter what. When Bo is scrambling someone has got to get open. I know he missed a lot of throws but he also shouldn’t have been put in a position to make some of them either. I just hope they can figure it all out because if they do it’ll be wild. 

Bo is getting the accolades, as he should, but without Seth that TD doesn’t happen. The ball was underthrown and for the first time in 100 years we had a WR come back to the ball and just take it away. He may not have given much effort on a few plays but he made that one happen. I hope he and Bo can get on the same page soon. 

Lol man some of yall are still just mad about Joey not being the QB. Bo made a couple mistakes- hes a true freshman and, as we all just witnessed, Oregon is legit. Go look at what other teams did week one against nobody. 

Second, I dont love Gus, but yall are crazy. You complain that its the same ol play calls but then say we abandoned the run in the first half. If it was the same ol play calls it wouldve been ALL runs. He was taking chances trying to let Bo air it out. He tried to help Bo out by goving him rolls. Also, a few time WR didnt get their spacing right.

Lot of things to correct after this one but Oregon might be a playoff team. It was a good win. 

7 hours ago, japantiger said:

It was like watching a slow motion train wreck and then coming-to and learning everyone lived.

Good crowd and atmosphere.  That is a great place to watch a game.

In the post game interview, Gus actually admitted to making a bad call on the 1st and goal after the BigCat turnover.  I have never heard him admit to making a stupid call before.  Sadly, he said the line asked him to let them run the ball in the 2H.  With that talent we should have won by 3 scores 

Defense really came alive after the 1st qtr.  Got penetration and got nasty and started passing out punishment. #33 hits like a hammer.

There is no running game absent Whitlow.  He finds the holes and gets tougher as the game goes on.  He clearly "wanted it" in the 2H.

Nix played better than I expected a freshman to play.  Only one Int was on him...he just missed that throw.  He is faster and has quicker feet than advertised; he can extend plays.  He runs very well. Of his 18 incompletes, 7 or 8 of those had to be throwaways.  He doesn't take stupid sacks.  He made key plays when needed...he also tried to make some he was not in position to make... that 4th down run was big (a crap spot on that one).  Play calling has to give him some crossing routes and intermediate passes.  He was one for six in backshoulder throws.  That needs work.

Who thought that play call with 16 seconds left made sense?

IMO they shouldn’t be asking him to make back shoulder throws right now. He didn’t throw many in HS and when he did he wasn’t great at it. That should be a skill he is taught while he is here at AU. Until then they need to cater to his strengths which is short, quick throws. I don’t think they will, but it could alter this offense greatly if they would. 

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

IMO they shouldn’t be asking him to make back shoulder throws right now. He didn’t throw many in HS and when he did he wasn’t great at it. That should be a skill he is taught while he is here at AU. Until then they need to cater to his strengths which is short, quick throws. I don’t think they will, but it could alter this offense greatly if they would. 

Don't think Oregon was allowing any short quick throws...they were right at the line and the few times the routes were run, nobody was close to being open...which resulted in one of the INTs.    The reason Oregon made so many was that our DBs were playing well off the line....gave them room...but Oregon was not as generous.

JMO but the long throws early were  an attempt to open up the middle and back up their defenders...but ducks never really bit on that...and were determined to stop the run and short stuff which is probably what they expected from a freshman QB.   Some might recall when #8 whiffed on a block and Bo was nailed...and I think that was about the last time we had a small back in the game for any length of time.

Bo missed a couple open shots....one for a TD to Hastings...but overall, I thought he did well, make some crucial gains with his feet and as noted, did not duck and cover when the rush came....showed guts and poise despite the blitzing rushes.   Better things ahead...

That will be one of the toughest games we play. Oregon had that game circled for years, came in to avenge Michael Dyer's run, came in with a conference riding on them, came in nasty and prepared and with more energy on a team than I've seen since the UGA blackout game where they came out and spanked us. We were down, we were ineffectual, we were done.

Until we weren't. Through all of Gus's tenure, we've never shown we can get off the mat and punch back. Until we did, yesterday. That was no fluke.

War damn eagle.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't think Oregon was allowing any short quick throws...they were right at the line and the few times the routes were run, nobody was close to being open...which resulted in one of the INTs.    The reason Oregon made so many was that our DBs were playing well off the line....gave them room...but Oregon was not as generous.

JMO but the long throws early were  an attempt to open up the middle and back up their defenders...but ducks never really bit on that...and were determined to stop the run and short stuff which is probably what they expected from a freshman QB.   Some might recall when #8 whiffed on a block and Bo was nailed...and I think that was about the last time we had a small back in the game for any length of time.

Bo missed a couple open shots....one for a TD to Hastings...but overall, I thought he did well, make some crucial gains with his feet and as noted, did not duck and cover when the rush came....showed guts and poise despite the blitzing rushes.   Better things ahead...

For the record, the short throw over the middle would have been wide open all night had we attempted it.  Oregon didn't have defenders in sight between the hash marks when we dropped back to pass.  Piss poor coaching to not take advantage of that.

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

Until we weren't. Through all of Gus's tenure, we've never shown we can get off the mat and punch back. Until we did, yesterday. That was no fluke.

War damn eagle.

Dude, I'm no Gus fan but this is just flat wrong.  These are just off the top of my head:

In 2013, we trailed Bama by 14 at home to start the second half.  We won.  Same with the Texas A&M game that year where we trailed on several occasions and traded blows all day, but at one point trailed by double digits.

2014 at Ole Miss was back and forth whole night.

Last year's Aggie game we trailed by 10 with 5 minutes to go.  We won.

We've shown we can come back before under Gus.  Last night did have a bit of a different feel to it though.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

For the record, the short throw over the middle would have been wide open all night had we attempted it.  Oregon didn't have defenders in sight between the hash marks when we dropped back to pass.  Piss poor coaching to not take advantage of that.

I'm still mystified how someone would intentionally handcuff themselves by taking away an entire section of the field to scheme with. For years most of us on this board have begged for quick slants and quick passes to TEs or seam routes. We all know it would change the entire dynamic of the offense. 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, I'm no Gus fan but this is just flat wrong.  These are just off the top of my head:

In 2013, we trailed Bama by 14 at home to start the second half.  We won.  Same with the Texas A&M game that year where we trailed on several occasions and traded blows all day, but at one point trailed by double digits.

2014 at Ole Miss was back and forth whole night.

Last year's Aggie game we trailed by 10 with 5 minutes to go.  We won.

We've shown we can come back before under Gus.  Last night did have a bit of a different feel to it though.

Maybe never is hyperbolic - it's early, and it probably should be "never really". However, I think we are in agreement that last night was a different feel. There's a difference between being in a fight and coming back after being down, and coming back from the dead after getting punched in the nose. There's a lot of teams that would have folded.

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I wouldn’t say a quick slant is an easy throw. Throw it a tad behind the receiver and it’s gonna go the other way. I thought Gus adjusted well in the 2nd half and I give him credit for having so much faith in Bo 

Whether it's an easy throw is neither here nor there. It's still attacking an area of the field that is nonexistent in our scheming. Not attacking the middle just gives the LBs free range to support any other area.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This is the new "Dyer was down" for Oregon......

Quote from there 247 board

"I think the Ref gave Auburn the win. At the replay, it clearly shows that Bo Nix's knee was down and did not make the first down. The ball should go to Oregon. However, at the official review, the Ref was very generous and moved the ball close to the first down and then measured it. It awarded Auburn the first down instead of turning it over to Oregon. From there Auburn scored the winning TD.

IMO Oregon was ripped off by the Ref."

I actually thought he was further than the spot he was given........oh it was also PAC 12 refs.

10 hours ago, wareagle881 said:

Can someone go ahead and start a thread for folks to start bashing Gus now, for next week’s game? Maybe by the game they will give it a rest and actually enjoy an Auburn game instead of bashing him the whole time. 

In case you missed his after game interview he admitted he screwed up play calling the first half ( a move in the right direction for him) it was actually the senior line that persuaded him at halftime to run the ball more the second half. That wore out their defense, rested our defense. It was what he should have done to begin with. You got a freshman QB starting his first college game and you put him the hole, running for his life trying to win a game by himself. Not smart. Give him credit he finally owned his mistake and made a change at half instead of his normal way of continuing to pound a square peg in a round hole.

6 hours ago, Stumptown Duck said:

I don't think we're going to think about Auburn as much as you think we will. 

Well, maybe this year we will. 

I think the game was pretty well called. There were some terrible spots but they corrected them quickly.

The only true WHAT THE ABSOLUTE F&CK moment for me came when Cristobal took the time out with Herbert sitting a play, then putting him in, then being told that he's not ineligible, then taking another timeout. On 4th & 1, a QB with 0 attempts comes in, Auburn knows what's coming.

I am curious to know what the communication breakdown was between officiating and Cristobal. 

I think that one we Ducks fans will question all year.

Maybe the Oregon fan can explain the “no call” pass interference on Sal previous to the bo nix run. That was a huge missed call.  

Also Seth is the one that persuaded Gus to give him that last shot. I don’t blame Gus for taking the risk remember we already had one missed field goal. Worked out well but Seth and Bo pushed Gus for the play. And Gus confirmed that in his post game.

9 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He was clearly gassed at the end and hurting a bit because he was asking to com out. The fact remains that we need to establish a RB rotation to keep keep him fresh in those key moments in the game 

Gus has a tendency to automatically go with his plan without considering the player.  I know this is difficult a *in the moment* decision, but he needs to have someone in his ear to tell him the condition of the player.  Look up and see what is happening before committing to the play.  We have JG that can run the WC, he did it on the next play for a TD.  It could cost the player and him at some point.

Definitely things to improve on but I see a lot of people saying we should have had more quick throws but the thing is Oregon took those away.

Oregon isn’t stupid they know if they’re going against a young QB in his first start then the opposing team is going to try to dink and dunk for easy completions so they took that away from the start. So Gus tried to counter it with the misdirection passes to try to get completions .

I see what they were trying to do. Gus just tried to get way too fancy first half and it was backfiring because he picked the wrong spots to do it. Still proud of the adjustments made second half. There was nothing lucky about that win. Auburn just straight up won that

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

- Oregon gave everyone a blueprint for how to beat our defense.  Quick hitters and outside runs.  They completely negated the rush at times, especially early.

Auburn gave the PAC 12 the blueprint for how to beat their offense.  Steele’s adjustments were devastating to that offense.  The good part is Steele adjusted and if some team tries to emulate Oregon’s offense, he should be ready.

At this point, can we stop pretending like Shivers deserves playing time? He is just the next in the long line of player that Gus has annoited as a starter without having to earn it. Why Gus has a 5'6 165lb guy out there in pass protection is mind boggling. 

Well I believe beating the #11 team in the country, whose backup recievers had a huge size advantage and a QB prior to the game was being tauted as possibly one of the best in the country is a good thing.......1st half defensive coaching wasnt spectacular and I could be wrong but maybe we didn't pressure early to keep D fresh for 2nd half.

Don't care what anyone says the O-line may not be perfect but they are much improved from last year.........I may have to eat my words but this team is going to improve as the season moves forward.

I my opinion this close win in week 1 vs #11 benefits this team far more than a 400 yard passing 40point victory over a cupcake. War Eagle!!

4 minutes ago, Brannigan's Law said:

At this point, can we stop pretending like Shivers deserves playing time? He is just the next in the long line of player that Gus has annoited as a starter without having to earn it. Why Gus has a 5'6 165lb guy out there in pass protection is mind boggling. 

One of the worst takes I've seen.  Try knowing what your talking about before posting.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

One of the worst takes I've seen.  Try knowing what your talking about before posting.

Hell the one block Superman couldnt have made Shivers used his body to shield Nix causing defender to overshoot and eat the dust allowing Nix to step up and avoid the sack.

Archived