Teach me - 3 questions

Beaker

Speaking of pace - You should hear the questions that Mario is having to answer. He is taking it on the chin. James creapa - the guy that covered AU for years and always was frustrating Gus is letting Mario have it. 

They are asking why he was running pace at the end of the game instead of running clock. Clock management, personnel groupings, using timeouts- they are killing him. 

My point is that coaches make mistakes during a game - several of them in fact. You just have to hope to have a W in the end to counterbalance the bad calls/mistakes. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Watch the A-day game and the 5-7 yard digs were absent last night. So we're the releases and passes to our backs and TE. We should've used them to suck in the D and hit them long.

Yep, they were selling out in some cases trying to stop the run and only covering between the hashes and the sidelines. We have to use more of the field to open up this offense.

We really do need to get some more of these RB's some PT over the next couple of games to get ready for A&M. Shivers, Joiner, Martin, Williams, etc... 

Get 'em in early for some meaningful reps.  Throw in some Shedrick Jackson and Marquis McClain at WR too, and of course lots of Joey Gatewood.

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

We really do need to get some more of these RB's some PT over the next couple of games to get ready for A&M. Shivers, Joiner, Martin, Williams, etc... 

Get 'em in early for some meaningful reps.  Throw in some Shedrick Jackson and Marquis McClain at WR too, and of course lots of Joey Gatewood.

That's not Gus' tendency though, so we'll see.  My guess is he starts to narrow in on who he feels are starters and major contributors on offense...putting them in various situations to see how they respond, while trying to win the game in a vanilla fashion so as not to give away any big concepts or tricks that he's saving for bama.  Those that may not have a major role will finally come into the game for the last drive or two.

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

2017 was frustrating, and Gus could’ve done more in the SECCG to spell KJ. But remember that all of us were expecting the 2 headed monster of Pettway and KJ which never materialized due to Pettway’s injury plagued season. The year before, when they were both healthy, carries were pretty evenly distributed. I’m OK with Boobee’s 24 carries last night, especially in a big game early in the season. My judgement on Gus and the RB rotation will be lower tier SEC opponents (Ole Miss/Arky) and the other 3 non conference games. Boobee should get light loads in those games in my opinion. We have enough talent to do that and I’m guessing that will be Caddy’s approach. 

Yes sir, we were expecting a 2 headed monster in 2017 and kept thinking something would materialize.  

Maybe you are right, a better or genuine rotation will develop

Thanks to all - seems I used all my likes in the lat 24 hrs.    Do we get less likes these days?  

Run more inside routes.

Drag - Start inside and shallow like the Climb route, but stay in front of the backers and go no further than four yards downfield.

Crossing - Again, start like the Climb route, but aim directly at the middle linebacker. Run right in front of his face at about five or six yards.

Short Climb - Once again, start running a Climb route, but after crossing in front of the outside linebacker and going behind the middle linebacker, stay flatter at 10-12 yards instead of climbing up to 20 yards downfield.

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2015/7/29/9060755/auburns-receivers-and-the-routes-they-run-route-tree-gus-malzahn

15 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Ugh, same broken record. :InsertWe'reStillWaitingGif:

Can’t go too fast when it’s 2nd or 3rd and long. Offense has to stay ahead of the chains in order for playing fast to be most effective. Got to string together some pop plays, chunk plays, large gains on 1st down, etc. The Stove touchdown was a by product of his big gain on the ground, AU lined up fast and caught them off balance for the TD pass.

8 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Can’t go too fast when it’s 2nd or 3rd and long. Offense has to stay ahead of the chains in order for playing fast to be most effective. Got to string together some pop plays, chunk plays, large gains on 1st down, etc. The Stove touchdown was a by product of his big gain on the ground, AU lined up fast and caught them off balance for the TD pass.

Absolutely, but even after first downs there was plenty of other opportunities to push the pace and we just didn't. It's something I'll be paying attention to in the next few weeks looking for a change.

21 hours ago, Beaker said:

Serious questions, not being sarcastic:

3.  To me, it seemed like we got real predictable again on 1st and 2nd down, thus put unrealistic pressure on Bo to make a 3rd down conversion.  Is that my intolerance for Gus ( as a playcaller ) tainting my judgment, or were we predictable again?  

WDE and I will hang up and listen to your answer.

Stan White mentioned how Oregon was moving everyone up close to the line of scrimmage on first down. So, yeah.

5 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Yep, they were selling out in some cases trying to stop the run and only covering between the hashes and the sidelines. We have to use more of the field to open up this offense.

It's hard to tell if Nix had first game/Fr/big game fogginess. At times he seemed focused at other times hyper to the point he reacted to pressure on pass plays that really was contained, then when he moved outside thinking there was pressure, the LBs then knew to blitz and he had to throw away or try a ill advised pass trying to make something out of nothing.

I also don't know if this is Nix learning to know where is 2nd and 3rd passing options are, or if its poor pass schemes from Gus. If you look at Oregon, the QB was completing 4, 5 or even 6 or 7 completions in a row with sitdown routes, soft zone routes, and out routes to give the offense momentum and smaller 3rd down conversion needs. 

This is what I want to see from our passing attack as Nix becomes more seasoned and learns defenses at the college level. I can't see the whole field on passing routes most of the time to know if the WRs are running routes that Bo has a high percentage to complete ot keep the chains going, and to help open up the long pass or running lanes. 

I think the studio QB analyst and the game analyst mentioned WRs NOT getting separation or not running precise routes so I hope it is a matter of new personnel at WR causing this. I know HAstings runs great routes but he didn't play after the first half I guess bc of being banged up. 

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

@steeleagle go check out the archived skycam footage from the game if you have time. It'll show you exactly what Bo is seeing during the game. It's wonderful to see plays from that perspective.

Skycam view is the best thing ESPN does.

Ha, the “hot hand” schtick never gets old. It has derailed several promising seasons and has played a clear role in rb injuries..but it never gets old. :( 

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It's hard to tell if Nix had first game/Fr/big game fogginess. At times he seemed focused at other times hyper to the point he reacted to pressure on pass plays that really was contained, then when he moved outside thinking there was pressure, the LBs then knew to blitz and he had to throw away or try a ill advised pass trying to make something out of nothing.

I also don't know if this is Nix learning to know where is 2nd and 3rd passing options are, or if its poor pass schemes from Gus. If you look at Oregon, the QB was completing 4, 5 or even 6 or 7 completions in a row with sitdown routes, soft zone routes, and out routes to give the offense momentum and smaller 3rd down conversion needs. 

This is what I want to see from our passing attack as Nix becomes more seasoned and learns defenses at the college level. I can't see the whole field on passing routes most of the time to know if the WRs are running routes that Bo has a high percentage to complete ot keep the chains going, and to help open up the long pass or running lanes. 

I think the studio QB analyst and the game analyst mentioned WRs NOT getting separation or not running precise routes so I hope it is a matter of new personnel at WR causing this. I know HAstings runs great routes but he didn't play after the first half I guess bc of being banged up. 

And Bo Nix throws an interception!

This is a play that the in studio QB analysts said there were too many receivers in the same area.  You will have to run it several times to see we had trips on the left, but that was only to influence the defense.  As the play starts, Bo rolls left too quick and you see Worm is (I believe) setting up for the shuffle pass.  Bo gets too far outside the defender #5 and that defender forces Bo to make a decision he didn’t want to make.

Once Bo is out in no mans land he make another mistake by starring down Seth and trying to force the ball.  There was more defenders is white jerseys than there were receivers in blue jerseys.  This play was doomed from the start by a good defense and a Freshman mistake.

Worm could have walked in.

15 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

And Bo Nix throws an interception!

This is a play that the in studio QB analysts said there were too many receivers in the same area.  You will have to run it several times to see we had trips on the left, but that was only to influence the defense.  As the play starts, Bo rolls left too quick and you see Worm is (I believe) setting up for the shuffle pass.  Bo gets too far outside the defender #5 and that defender forces Bo to make a decision he didn’t want to make.

Once Bo is out in no mans land he make another mistake by starring down Seth and trying to force the ball.  There was more defenders is white jerseys than there were receivers in blue jerseys.  This play was doomed from the start by a good defense and a Freshman mistake.

Worm could have walked in.

As coachable as Bo seems, I bet little keys like this are learned quickly and we will see more poise later in the season.

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

As coachable as Bo seems, I bet little keys like this are learned quickly and we will see more poise later in the season.

Definitely a teaching moment.  The fact that Gus kept Bo in the game and allowed him to settle down speaks well for the future  of the team.  We will see in the coming weeks.

Archived