Auburn’s Offense vs Oregon’s Defense.

WarEagleHunter1221

I have waited all week to post this on the game.  We had superior talent and it showed.  Boobie went beast mode and got great YAC.  Bo seems to have that "IT" factor.  Bo made the 1st TD happen and not play calling for a red zone TD.  Defense improved as the game went on.  Oregon shot themselves in the foot in the second half giving us the momentum.  Our offensive talent survived terrible play calling and misuse to survive a game they should have dominated.  I saw very little improvement, adaptation or adjustments being made in the game offensively.  People were all happy that after over half a decade on the job Gus was starting to finally figure out how to say the right things.  On the field did not change at all.  If we had a modern offense and an astute play caller we should dominate teams by simply being able to get the ball in the playmakers hands with an opportunity to make plays.

50 minutes ago, WeagleTheBeagle said:

Great video and really helps to get a better idea of where we are on O.  Not very impressed with play-calling BUT the O line looked pretty bad most of the game.  Gus had some dud play calls at critical moments of the game but also had some good ones as well.  Not sure why we didn't open up the passing game in the middle of the field.  Mostly to the sideline.  It appears we are trying to work a back shoulder throw into the playbook but did not complete one that I remember.  Prince had two crucial false starts.  2nd and first half of the 3rd quarter were AWFUL.  Was REALLY impressed with Whitlow.  I did not see many plays where the O line gave him much to work with and that concerns me.  I do appreciate Malzahn letting Nix loose but it looked too much like playground football.  Nix had no easy options and it did not appear the WR's were coming back to help him out after running their routes.  His deep balls were very accurate so that's a plus! 

Gus has not used the middle of the field on short or midrange routes since Lutzy graduated. 

This really p***** me off.  Why not give your true freshman a few easy passes to start with to let him get his feet under him and feel the speed of the game?  Gus has never really used multiple receivers in patterns or designated safety valves.  

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Watch Stove in the slot. Would've been a TD.

Nobody covered him because they know we won't throw to the middle.  😡   🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Nobody covered him because they know we won't throw to the middle.  😡   🤷‍♂️

For a minute I wanted to credit Gus with a great play call, but Bo was looking left practically before he'd even secured the snapped ball. I'm not sure he was "allowed" to throw it anywhere else on that play. 

Just watched SEC film room this morning and I actually feel a little bit better about Gus.  Granted they didn't show the goal line series after Big Kat's fumble return, but it did appear that Gus realized some of the mistakes in the game and will hopefully correct them.

Edit: It did sound like on some plays, based on the defensive look, that we're only looking at half of the field, probably to simplify Bo's reads and mistakes.  Hopefully, Gus gains more trust and allows him to look at the entire field eventually.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For a minute I wanted to credit Gus with a great play call, but Bo was looking left practically before he'd even secured the snapped ball. I'm not sure he was "allowed" to throw it anywhere else on that play. 

Exactly!!  I'm sorry.  Bench me but if I see a receiver running that open, I'm throwing to him no matter what play is called. 

To be fair, there were only 25 seconds left. If he would've been tackled in bounds it would've made it interesting. Looking towards the sideline first is smart, but if you watch the safety, he sprints to the sideline as soon as the ball is snapped to double Seth. Stove is where the ball should've gone. No one would've caught him. However that would've left around :13 seconds left...Gulp!

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To be fair, there were only 25 seconds left. If he would've been tackled in bounds it would've made it interesting. Looking towards the sideline first is smart, but if you watch the safety, he sprints to the sideline as soon as the ball is snapped to double Seth. Stove is where the ball should've gone. No one would've caught him. However that would've left around :13 seconds left...Gulp!

I almost joked that people would've complained about scoring too soon like with the go-ahead TD from Mason in the BCSCG, but given how things actually went down the other night... Gulp! indeed. 

11 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Exactly!!  I'm sorry.  Bench me but if I see a receiver running that open, I'm throwing to him no matter what play is called. 

Me too. It makes me wonder what Gus thought about Bo improvising the TD to Stove. Of all the poise that he showed as a freshman that play was gutsy and showed so much about his decision making. Not many freshmen would have had the confidence to do that, especially the first game. As he carries himself, so will he carry the team. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I almost joked that people would've complained about scoring too soon like with the go-ahead TD from Mason in the BCSCG, but given how things actually went down the other night... Gulp! indeed. 

Anything can obviously happen in one play but it feels really good these days to know our defense isn't the '13/'14 defense anymore. 

Here is another couple examples of failed execution or communication

Off tackle RT with Shivers...watch the receivers.

Another...

Watch Harrell and Tega completely wall off the front 7. Boobee misses the hole and tries to bounce it outside. That draw  would've netted easily another 10-15. Sometimes our bad OL play is actually bad RB play.

53 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Anything can obviously happen in one play but it feels really good these days to know our defense isn't the '13/'14 defense anymore. 

So very, very good. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Nobody catches Stove if he catches the ball there.  No UC penalty.  Probably still time for only one offensive play. 

Thank you for posting this. The most GLARING issue I saw is we don't attack the middle of the field at all with our passing game. Its all deep passes, screens, or passes to the outside.

We were moving the ball in the first half, just couldn't capitalize. Its clear we started to get a push from the o-line in the second half. All encouraging.

Archived