The Texas A&M game

gr82b4au

Finally we are playing an SEC team! This is going to be one heck of a game. Both teams seem to be very similar this year - good defense, struggles on offense at times. They held Clemson in check pretty well @ Clemson. We held Oregon in check pretty well in Texas. It will be interesting to see how Bo handles the noise and pressure of playing a true road game. Can the OL create some space for the running backs? Will Seth play? Will Anthony still have a cast? Is Brown ok? And can the defense start the game strong for once? So many questions. This game is a true measuring stick and I can't wait to watch us play. What do you think about this upcoming game? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope Mond plays against us like he did vs Clemson. I think if he does we can actually leave College Station with a W to continue our streak on their home field. 

Granted we played a hapless Kent State team, but the offense actually showed signs of life this past week... I was stoked to see Gus actually get Worm the ball. 

If the offense plays like we did Saturday and Mond plays like he did against Clemson, I feel like we have a real chance. I had (and still have) this game down as a loss, but I think we have a real shot to beat A&M when a week or 2 ago, I didn't think we had but a miniscule chance... Now I see us having a real chance, but I'm not going as far as changing my pick just yet 

16 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I really hope Mond plays against us like he did vs Clemson.

Good point. They go as he goes. There are times he looks amazing. There are times he looks terrible. I feel like he will be somewhere in between. He generally plays well at home. We just have to harass him enough to get him to make mistakes. It the DL can get pressure on him we should have success - as long as they are not throwing screens or quick outs hahaha. Those plays seem to kill us. 

I do think this is a winnable game. It will be tough but win this one and we are set up to make a small run. IMO it all comes down to Bo (and the OL of course). If he plays well, we will win. 

I expect this to go a lot like the Oregon game.  Ugly back and forth with one team making a play when it matters to win.  I also suspect we’ll see some Gus magic that we haven’t seen all season.  Double reverse pass in the wildcat from Nix to Gatewood or something like that.  If Auburn can get past this one Miss State and Florida look a lot more manageable.  Florida’s new QB will probably come out like a world beater now.  

We will be 4-0 after we beat A&M Saturday. I honestly believe we will win the next 4 and the true test will be LSU. Especially for our defense! War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

We will be 4-0 after we beat A&M Saturday. I honestly believe we will win the next 4 and the true test will be LSU. Especially for our defense! War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

I like it... and I agree. Kick em the butt big Blue!

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

as long as they are not throwing screens or quick outs hahaha. Those plays seem to kill us. 

They do but the fact that we have gotten killed by them many times early might pay dividends going forward. 

Also, I wonder if the DLs went into Kent State with stats on their mind and didn't really care so much about the screens. It's a stretch and even if it's correct it's not great, but they really did look hungry for quarterback out there the other night. 

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Ugly back and forth with one team making a play when it matters to win.

Agreed. If our defense is playing as it should, 20 points will probably win this one. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

they really did look hungry for quarterback out there the other night.

You are right about that... they were relentless going after the QB. 

This is the game that I voted for as the most pivotal in our season.  It’s Gus’ fourth and we know, by his previous seasons, this is the game he puts his offense all together.  There will be no more vanilla offense, he won’t be able to beat T A$M with vanilla, and the defense will have to play up to their potential from the start.

I am sure Jimbo will make Bo beat them by trying to take away the run.  With our OL problems this could be a concern and Bo will have to grow up fast.  Gus could sprinkle in a little Gatewood to keep Jimbo guessing.  Who knows what Gus is going to do?

I would think this game is a revenge type game for T A&M and a showcase for Gus to see what the team is made of for Auburn.  Should be a good one.  Hoping for the best because I don’t want to see CDC puffing his chest out and running up to Gus to confront him after the game.

If we can get a consistent run game and limit penalties and create turnovers then we can get it done. Players have to make they’re wrapping up too. No extra yardage. Our safeties were out of position a few times trying to make a big time play 

Definitely winnable . Nix please watch your passes. No careless fumbles and expect the defense to put us in position to win 

6 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Our safeties were out of position a few times trying to make a big time play 

The slants caused us some problems. Also we were so close TWICE to a pick 6, but the DBs have to be sure because in both cases it backfired and the WR was able to get a ton of yards. 

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The slants caused us some problems. Also we were so close TWICE to a pick 6, but the DBs have to be sure because in both cases it backfired and the WR was able to get a ton of yards. 

Yep. 

I felt like I saw a lot of guys on defense trying to get stats instead of playing disciplined ball. And I'm not knocking it. I think we'll see them play with more discipline going forward. This is not an educated opinion. 

Got a feeling Bo will need to lace up his scrambling shoes in this one. Need our WRs to fight to stay open and come back to the ball. Hope Tega is back to 100% because we're out of depth on that left side. DL keep Mond in front of you and let the LBs make plays. 

I just hope the men are fired up and jacked for SECw play.  With all the back and forth about whether we're allowed to enjoy 3-0 vs it's all about to fall apart, IMO we have no real clue yet what's about to happen.

As I'm typically on the #butgus side of things I'm not going into the aTm game loaded with confidence but at the same time, the team (to me) feels like it's slept walked through the first 3 games...even against UO to a point.  I suspect this at least partially has contributed to the slow starts so far.

I'm just curious to see a full 4 quarters where the guys are fired up & laser focused on the opponent and their responsibilities.  If so, we'll all witness much better football than we have so far.  If they aren't jacked as they should be, from the beginning, then it may be a long game...

War Eagle Y'all!

I think this game will fall squarely on the shoulders of Bo Nix.  Count on A&M stacking the box and forcing us to throw until we prove we can beat single coverage.  I really hope Seth is healthy.  I couldn't be more impressed with Bo so far.  He's going to be a legend, but it almost always takes some time to figure out the college game.  I watched a lot of Sam Ehlinger at Texas as a freshman.  You could see the talent, but he cost Texas a couple of games forcing throws and trying to do too much.  I haven't see that so far out of Bo.  He's been very smart. I'd love to see a lot of play action on 1st down.  We aren't likely to be able to run, especially early.  The offensive line has to hold their own and not get manhandled.  The defense has to play their best game of the year.  Prediction: Good guys 23, Aggies 13  We need to bring our A game, and I think we will.

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

The schedule is actually set up nicely for us to do just that. If that would occur, and that’s a big IF, there isn’t really much you can honesty complain about as a fan 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

There will be no more vanilla offense, he won’t be able to beat T A$M with vanilla

I like vanilla with Gus, esp the red zone.

I hate cute with Gus, esp the red zone.

I hate the Statue of Liberty.

I hate the sugar huddle.

But wait...there’s more.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

I hate the sugar huddle.

But wait...there’s more.

You taking a bathroom break in the middle of your post?

Please continue...

1 minute ago, Viper said:

I hate the sugar huddle.

But wait...there’s more.

With Gus isn’t all of these vanilla with the exception of the cute Gus in the red zone (no one likes that)?  I mean every defense knows these plays and defends them with ease.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I hate the sugar huddle.

But wait...there’s more.

What I hate is that the cutest, weirdest, most unexpected thing he's done in 5 years was let a backup QB throw a short pass to the middle of the field in the red zone the other night. 

But what I love is that he did it and maybe there's more where that came from.

But what I hate is that, as with the winning TD against Oregon, we see one second of normal, sound football strategy from our head coach and we have to celebrate it as I did in my prior sentence. 

Archived