The real season starts now, is Auburn ready?

aubiefifty

The real season starts now, is Auburn ready?

Today 9:45 AM

5-7 minutes

Sports

Getty Images

Gus Malzahn and No. 8 Auburn play at Texas A&M on Saturday. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

The first three weeks of 2019 have gone about like we expected for the Auburn Tigers, at least in terms of final results

The Tigers are 3-0 after a comeback win over Oregon in the opener, followed by reasonably comfortable non-conference victories vs. Tulane and Kent State. Sure, some people thought Auburn might lose to the Ducks, but it’s worth remembering that the Tigers were favored in that game.

So much for those preliminaries — the real season starts now.

No. 8 Auburn travels to No. 17 Texas A&M on Saturday, in the Tigers’ first true road game of the season. It’s the first of three major tests for Auburn away from Jordan-Hare Stadium in the next five weeks.

If the Tigers are to legitimize themselves as a Top 10 team, they have to win at Texas A&M on Saturday. If they don’t, we could be looking at another middling finish in the SEC West for the Tigers.

The spotlight will be on freshman quarterback Bo Nix, and rightly so. Winning on the road in the SEC is not easy for any quarterback, let alone one who was in high school this time last year.

Nix has played reasonably well this year. He’s been just OK as a passer (52 percent completions, 6.48 yards per attempt, 4-to-2 TD-to-INT ration), and effective as a rusher (4.9 yards per carry, 1 TD).

We don’t know yet if Nix will have favorite target Seth Williams on Saturday, as Williams sat out vs. Kent State with a shoulder injury. Gus Malzahn is expected to update Williams’ status later today.

Auburn cut its running game loose vs. Kent State with 467 yards on the ground, its highest total in three years. It was good to see the Tigers run the ball well after struggling to do so at times vs. Tulane, but that’s less likely to continue this week.

Texas A&M ranks second in the SEC and No. 21 national in rushing defense, allowing 83.7 yards per game and 3.26 yards per carry. The Aggies have faced a pair of overmatched opponents this year in Texas State and Lamar, but they also limited Clemson to less than four yards per carry (and 24 points) on the road two weeks ago.

Auburn’s defense has been mostly good, though star defensive tackle Derrick Brown has been banged up. Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond has been good but not great, throwing at least one interception in every game.

So how about the overall matchup? Texas A&M is a slight favorite (4 points, according to Vegas Insider), and that sounds about right.

It’s worth noting that Auburn is 3-0 in College Station since Texas A&M joined the SEC. It’s been a weird series, as the Tigers are 1-3 vs. the Aggies in Auburn in that same span.

However, I said before the season began Auburn would probably lose this game, and nothing I’ve seen thus far from either team has made me change my mind. A loss wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it would reduce the Tigers’ already slim margin for error to virtually zero going forward.

Feels like a huge game. For the program. For Gus. But every season ebbs and flows.  A win propels us into the next part of the schedule but if we follow it up with a letdown against MSU or UF then it really won’t matter. On the other hand if we lose, then run the table up to LSU and upset LSU...then a loss wouldn’t seem so bad...so its a big game but (and I get the irony of me saying this) it shouldn’t be the only litmus test of how our season goes. 

Great article - thanks for sharing!

I will declare that Gus will have to absolutely outcoach Jimbo to get this win.  

Yes our D is our huge advantage, but unless they score 14.... you get my point.

Special teams has been a thorn in our side and the O hasn't dominated.   We can debate the rushing output last week, but goodness look at how we did it and against who.  

I believe we will see more than one or two 'new wrinkles'  I won't post them here b/c I suspect Jimbo's staff may be tracking my posts.   

I am still drinking the kool-aide, but haven't been drinking on the Gus Bus in a long time.  

Final thought:   Auburn wins another close one and my game MVP will be A Carlson.  

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Great article - thanks for sharing!

I will declare that Gus will have to absolutely outcoach Jimbo to get this win.  

Yes our D is our huge advantage, but unless they score 14.... you get my point.

Special teams has been a thorn in our side and the O hasn't dominated.   We can debate the rushing output last week, but goodness look at how we did it and against who.  

I believe we will see more than one or two 'new wrinkles'  I won't post them here b/c I suspect Jimbo's staff may be tracking my posts.   

I am still drinking the kool-aide, but haven't been drinking on the Gus Bus in a long time.  

Final thought:   Auburn wins another close one and my game MVP will be A Carlson.  

Ok, my pipedream -  Schwartz, Seth and DJ all play and DJ gets 8-9 carries.   If these three play, we win.  Boobie and K Martin isn't gonna be enough.  Gonna have to use Shivers in areas where he is strong, and build a rotation b/c Boobie just isn't gonna make it through the next 3-4 games without a rotation.  I love Whitlow's story and tenacity.   But doggone it, look at how hard it was for Kam Pettway and KJ to try to make it through a season...AND NEVER COULD.

One caveat: Matthew Hill can replace one of the two WRs if given the same reps (this is a fact and it is indisputable).  

39 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Yeah, but WHICH Carlson?

Gus is going to do what he does. He’s going to run the ball over and over again, until it works. When or if it works, it’ll open up the pass. Biggest key for this game and possibly this season, imo, is the oline and skill players have got to block well. I want to see good blocking, as well as Bo keeping a few of those handoffs. We can’t be too one dimensional like we have been.

IMO we can't afford to blow any free TDs like Whitlow did on that pass vs Kent State. We need to capitalize on our opportunities.

kill their game plan and start Joey for QB.  You automatically change the script. keep them off the "Good Foot" from the start. If we win the flip ? differ to 1/2 half. start Gatewood. if it sucks it will just make Nix more passionate. If Gatewood gets on a roll. join me.Aat the least it will spook them. and change them up.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, but WHICH Carlson?

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

AAaaaah.  I see what you did there.   Uh huh.  That was clever.  "I got my eye on you."

Au wins with a strong screen game to take out the rush from txam and Bo running the football. Defense will give the O plenty of opportunities. The X factor could be Harold Joiner . 

22 hours ago, Tiger said:

IMO we can't afford to blow any free TDs like Whitlow did on that pass vs Kent State. We need to capitalize on our opportunities.

Or like Bo did with Jay Jay in the End-Zone.

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Or like Bo did with Jay Jay in the End-Zone.

Yup, good call. Going to have clean up all of that because if we leave points out on the field we will likely lose. Need redzone TDs and not FGs. On the road, true freshman QB is going to be tough so we need to make sure to take advantage of every possible moment.

21 hours ago, norcuron said:

kill their game plan and start Joey for QB.  You automatically change the script. keep them off the "Good Foot" from the start. If we win the flip ? differ to 1/2 half. start Gatewood. if it sucks it will just make Nix more passionate. If Gatewood gets on a roll. join me.Aat the least it will spook them. and change them up.

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Au wins with a strong screen game to take out the rush from txam and Bo running the football. Defense will give the O plenty of opportunities. The X factor could be Harold Joiner . 

Why we have utilized him in such few scenarios is beyond me.

6 hours ago, logan adams said:

Why we have utilized him in such few scenarios is beyond me.

I agree . He needs the ball 10 times a game . His size and athleticism are needed . He reminds me of the ole miss tightend . Ingram I think 

This may be the biggest game of Malzahn's Auburn tenure.  A win will start the momentum to keep him.  A loss will start the telephones ringing and the private Auburn jets flying to every campus in the nation.

While I picked TAMU to win before the season started, at this point I really think it's a toss up.  I haven't been this fascinated about what's about to unfold on TV since the last time I watched Jerry Springer.

11 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I agree . He needs the ball 10 times a game . His size and athleticism are needed . He reminds me of the ole miss tightend . Ingram I think 

Which is where he needs to be playing. In the slot. Folks forget or never knew that he didn't get many great offers to play RB and most schools wanted him to catch passes. 

But, Auburn fans love a guy who's long and thick. 

On 9/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, norcuron said:

Are you saying a&m isn’t expecting or practicing for the zone read?

4 hours ago, countoff said:

This may be the biggest game of Malzahn's Auburn tenure.  A win will start the momentum to keep him.  A loss will start the telephones ringing and the private Auburn jets flying to every campus in the nation.

While I picked TAMU to win before the season started, at this point I really think it's a toss up.  I haven't been this fascinated about what's about to unfold on TV since the last time I watched Jerry Springer.

important and critical, but no chance this is the 'biggest'.  He has stared down the barrel of gun a couple of times.   We aren't anywhere close.

I like the fact you pointed out how a good win will build a lot of confidence b/c this is the hardest game of the next 4

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Which is where he needs to be playing. In the slot. Folks forget or never knew that he didn't get many great offers to play RB and most schools wanted him to catch passes. 

But, Auburn fans love a guy who's long and thick. 

He could be an Aaron Hernandez type player . Florida used him every way possible . Great player minus off the field stuff . Joiner is a mismatch 

Archived