If you can't be respectful...

gr82be

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

We need 9 wins or he must go is my feelings 

9 if you count the bowl game is very doable. As a 4 loss regular season will mean we aren't getting a top tier opponent for a bowl. Could easily see another 8 win reg season and a bowl game where we just destroy some northern or west coast team that's not used to Gus's offense again.

But this goes back to that .631 thread, Auburn will not let Gus go over an 8 or 9 win season, It's just not what Auburn is, no matter how many fans find 8-9 wins a "bad" season. What these 8 win seasons will do is lose him any good will he has, and he won't get a pass the first time he has a truly sub-par season, and will be immediately let go.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

9 if you count the bowl game is very doable. As a 4 loss regular season will mean we aren't getting a top tier opponent for a bowl. Could easily see another 8 win reg season and a bowl game where we just destroy some northern or west coast team that's not used to Gus's offense again.

The bowl game really should be irrelevant to the conversation.  If the bowl game is necessary to get to 9 wins that means we once again lost to all of  main rivals.

The thought of winning the Music City Bowl Championship again just isn't really getting me excited or moving my needle on Gus.

25 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

But this goes back to that .631 thread, Auburn will not let Gus go over an 8 or 9 win season, It's just not what Auburn is, no matter how many fans find 8-9 wins a "bad" season. What these 8 win seasons will do is lose him any good will he has, and he won't get a pass the first time he has a truly sub-par season, and will be immediately let go.

There's no reason at all that AU can't be a 10 win a season program with the right coaching staff, imo. Sustained improvement in evaluation, recruiting, and development, good-great coordinators on both sides of the ball, and a head coach that doesn't get all panicky during the games would bump us up a notch or two.

29 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Really?

i just don’t see how Gus could possibly stay if we lose to UF, LSU, UGA and Bama. Hopefully we have an AD who can make that very hard decisions sometimes you have to let Mark Jackson go, in order to find your Steve Kerr.

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There's no reason at all that AU can't be a 10 win a season program with the right coaching staff, imo. Sustained improvement in evaluation, recruiting, and development, good-great coordinators on both sides of the ball, and a head coach that doesn't get all panicky during the games would bump us up a notch or two.

I agree with you but here’s the thing about AU... We’ll have to get lucky much like Clemson did with Dabo. We have a habit of hiring guys who are capable of a great season or two but not sustained success. And there has always been meddling in the background too. But the only way to get lucky, is to try. So I tire of the “well who would we get thats better” argument. Gus has clearly reached his ceiling at 8 or so wins with limited success against our rivals, 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Really?

i just don’t see how Gus could possibly stay if we lose to UF, LSU, UGA and Bama. Hopefully we have an AD who can make that very hard decisions sometimes you have to let Mark Jackson go, in order to find your Steve Kerr.

I agree but just to back up Mims argument...Auburn hasn’t fired a coach in my memory after a winning season. I know many are not satisfied with 8 wins anymore but apparently many are, 

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I agree with you but here’s the thing about AU... We’ll have to get lucky much like Clemson did with Dabo. We have a habit of hiring guys who are capable of a great season or two but not sustained success. And there has always been meddling in the background too. But the only way to get lucky, is to try. So I tire of the “well who would we get thats better” argument. Gus has clearly reached his ceiling at 8 or so wins with limited success against our rivals, 

I'm ready to take a shot on someone like Cristobal or Aranda.  Both are excellent recruiters, have experience recruiting the South, and seem intelligent enough to put together a staff of guys who can recruit and develop.  They also have experience working under some great coaches and have much more exposure to program management than Gus had coming into AU.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm ready to take a shot on someone like Cristobal or Aranda.  Both are excellent recruiters, have experience recruiting the south, and seem intelligent enough to put together a staff of guys who can recruit and develop.  They also have experience working under some great coaches and have much more exposure to program management than Gus had coming into AU.

Well said sir.

Wow.... For once a thread is created to vent & complain at other posters ..... and a football convo broke out. 🤔

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm ready to take a shot on someone like Cristobal or Aranda.  Both are excellent recruiters, have experience recruiting the South, and seem intelligent enough to put together a staff of guys who can recruit and develop.  They also have experience working under some great coaches and have much more exposure to program management than Gus had coming into AU.

PJ Fleck is 5-0. No I do not think he will end the year having some magical season at Minny but he is built for a big time program by how well I think he would recruit. I have always thought he had the IT factor. I do not think people will really see how good he can be until he gets a legit big time job.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

PJ Fleck is 5-0. No I do not think he will end the year having some magical season at Minny but he is built for a big time program by how well I think he would recruit. I have always thought he had the IT factor. I do not think people will really see how good he can be until he gets a legit big time job.

He's obviously a good coach but I don't know if he'd be a great coach at Auburn.  I don't know much about him as a recruiter but he's e's never coached in or recruited the Southeast.  I'll keep an eye on him doe.

Cristobal has extensive experience recruiting Florida, which I consider a huge plus for him.

Aranda is a two time Broyle's Award nominee and has been tearing it up as a recruiter for LSU.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is fair. I’m amused by how many will judge a potential coach by his record at a lesser program too. Auburn has resources, in fact it has everything a good coach would need to be super successful. Not just one lucky year but sustained success.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Roll The Boat 

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

He's obviously a good coach but I don't know if he'd be a great coach at Auburn.  I don't know much about him as a recruiter but he's e's never coached in or recruited the Southeast.  I'll keep an eye on him doe.

That is exactly why I want him. He is a great recruiter. His personality is infectious and would be a big hit with recruits. No idea how he has recruited at Minny not that it even matters because he will recruit much better at a big time program. I do know every year he was at Western Michigan they had the number 1 class in that conference. 

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

This is fair. I’m amused by how many will judge a potential coach by his record at a lesser program too. Auburn has resources, in fact it has everything a good coach would need to be super successful. Not just one lucky year but sustained success.

This is why I don't hold FIU against Cristobal.  He did win a Conference Championship there, which was unprecedented.  I think his great recruiting at Oregon is proof of what GWill are talking about, showing out at a better school with more resources.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This is why I don't hold FIU against Cristobal.  He did win a Conference Championship there, which was unprecedented.  I think his great recruiting at Oregon is proof of what GWill are talking about, showing out at a better school with more resources.

Rich Neuheisel (sp?) Said on CBS Sports radio in the summer that Cristobal covets the Auburn job and if it were to ever come open he would absolutely take the job if offered . He said that un prompted too. I found that very interesting. I would love Cristobal. Dude knows how to play the game. Our top 10 classes every season would be top 5 with him.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Rich Neuheisel (sp?) Said on CBS Sports radio in the summer that Cristobal covets the Auburn job and if it were to ever come open he would absolutely take the job if offered . He said that un prompted too. I found that very interesting. I would love Cristobal. Dude knows how to play the game. Our top 10 classes every season would be top 5 with him.

I've heard the same.  Some people won't like this but I really like that he worked under Saban.  That dude knows how to coach and build/sustain a program and anything that Cristobal carried away from that is a boon.  Know your enemy as you know yourself and all that jazz.

I've heard the same.  Some people won't like this but I really like that he worked under Saban.  That dude knows how to coach and build/sustain a program and anything that Cristobal carried away from that is a boon.

And unlike other former saban assistants who have failed or are failing as Head Coach he can actually implement and execute what he learned from Saban. He is well on his way to doing that at Oregon. He is about to stack a 10 win season on top of a 9 win season for his first 2 years at Oregon.

I've heard the same.  Some people won't like this but I really like that he worked under Saban.  That dude knows how to coach and build/sustain a program and anything that Cristobal carried away from that is a boon.

The last time we hired a coach that coached under a legend from that school, Dye beat that legend in his 2nd year.  He also gave that legend’s last loss that he would endure.  Nothing wrong with that.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The last time we hired a coach that coached under a legend from that school, Dye beat that legend in his 2nd year.  He also gave that legend’s last loss that he would endure.  Nothing wrong with that.

And even more context, he had to take over a Willie Taggart coached and recruited team.  They went 7-5 the season ( plus losing to Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl) before Cristobal took over.  They were 4-8 just 3 seasons ago.  Culture change on top of everything else.

And even more context, he had to take over a Willie Taggart coached and recruited team.

This, with Taggart only there one year.  That is an added burden as he had to start to build the program that was in flux (although Oregon was better off without Taggart).

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This, with Taggart only there one year.  That is an added burden as he had to start to build the program that was in flux (although Oregon was better off without Taggart).

They went 4-8 the season before Taggart, I believe.  Helfrich and Taggart's recruiting left UO kind of depleted for Cristobal.  I think he's done a great job recovering from that so far.

My biggest fear regarding the future of the program is we keep Gus another season and someone else snatches up Cristobal.  Oregon is a pretty solid job though and he might hold out until after the 2020 season to make a move.

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is exactly why I want him. He is a great recruiter. His personality is infectious and would be a big hit with recruits. No idea how he has recruited at Minny not that it even matters because he will recruit much better at a big time program. I do know every year he was at Western Michigan they had the number 1 class in that conference. 

Wait a minute you want P.J. But I remember you get on us who wanted Bill Clark. I guess you can make the argument that PJ is doing it now in a power 5 but I need to see Minnesota schedule too. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Wait a minute you want P.J. But I remember you get on us who wanted Bill Clark. I guess you can make the argument that PJ is doing it now in a power 5 but I need to see Minnesota schedule too. 

Bill Clark would be lower down my list but he does fit most of my criteria.  I'd have to be turned down by 2-3 coaches before I gave him an interview though.

What he's done at UAB is impressive.

Jeff Scott is on my list as well, but again not a 1st tier priority interview. Great recruiter, great offensive mind, and has a lot of experience building a championship level program from the ground up.

Archived