Wiseman declared ineligible by NCAA

GwillMac6

The move took place in the summer of 2017, not 2008 as reported by Wojnarowski.  Penny was wrong in several ways. First, Wiseman’s family moved to Memphis so he could transfer to the high school, Hardaway was coaching.  That would be against THSAA rules.  Secondly, Hardaway was considered a Univ. of Memphis booster and Wiseman was already being recruited by Memphis.  Against NCAA rules.  Thirdly, Hardaway was probably already in talks with his alma mater about becoming their next coach.  If so, against NCAA rules.  

I see Wiseman being ruled eligible at any school except Memphis or any school coached by Hardaway. 

27 minutes ago, around4ever said:

The move took place in the summer of 2017, not 2008 as reported by Wojnarowski.  Penny was wrong in several ways. First, Wiseman’s family moved to Memphis so he could transfer to the high school, Hardaway was coaching.  That would be against THSAA rules.  Secondly, Hardaway was considered a Univ. of Memphis booster and Wiseman was already being recruited by Memphis.  Against NCAA rules.  Thirdly, Hardaway was probably already in talks with his alma mater about becoming their next coach.  If so, against NCAA rules.  

I see Wiseman being ruled eligible at any school except Memphis or any school coached by Hardaway. 

Memphis fans can’t seem to wrap their heads around this. I work retail in Memphis, so this was a hot topic last night. So I had to break it down for them multiple times. 

“It happened in 2008!”...he would’ve been like 10 years old. Why would a coach/booster spend that/any sort of money on a 5th grader? Common sense. 

“Oh so Penny donated million dollars in 2008? That doesn’t mean anything!”...it means he’s a booster from then on. 

“Hardaway wasn’t even the coach at Memphis in 2017!”...he was, however, involved with the high school team(East) at the time. 

Then they blamed Calipari, just like they blame all their woes in regards to their basketball team. Sort of like some of us do bama. 

I do think their recruiting class should be investigated. Having the number one recruiting class in basketball, when Penny was in his first year of coaching at Memphis sends up major red flags. Reminds me of Ole Miss and their great recruiting classes, and we all saw how or why they got those players. 

26 minutes ago, Grumps said:

So a judge in Memphis can give a temporary restraining order allowing Wiseman to play? That makes no sense. 

Yeah. I thought that was awfully bizarre too. Memphis went on to play him too. Vacated wins be damned. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yeah. I thought that was awfully bizarre too. Memphis went on to play him too. Vacated wins be damned. 

Could also cost them going to the dance down the road. NCAA could ban them from the tournament. Dumb move on their part imo

On 11/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Lawsuit against NCAA dropped. Will sit going forward until whatever the NCAA decides. 

It seemed from the outside to be a dumb move. Suing the NCAA would mean that there would likely be more leverage to uncover evidence that the NCAA doesn't normally have without the help of the courts. Hate it for the kid though but I think he will be OK in the long run.

Interesting about face by Memphis.....a few days ago they basically told NCAA to "stuff it".       Got to see him play the other night and he's pretty good but not sure he was worth risking the whole season and post-season to play him despite the NCAA ruling.  ...but looks like someone talked sense and they will sit him from now on.

• 1 month later...

LMAOOOOO Penny Hardaway paid James Wiseman, paid for him to move to Memphis, got him to commit to Memphis, and got a whopping 5 games out of him ahahaha I know Penny is mad as hell

How is Penny getting away with this? He ought to be under some restrictions and Memphis penalized too. This is crazy that nothing coming back at the coach who actually committed the violation.

Oh the hammer is coming to Memphis. They are not a blue blood and told the NCAA to suck it by playing him after they ruled him ineligible earlier in the year. 

I'm not upset about it at all since they seemingly are in on all the prospects we are recruiting 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived