Arkansas

AuburnTiger4Life

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/9/2019 at 1:36 PM, JBiGGiE said:

Texas A&M thought throwing money at the problem was the solution and look where they are. Some would say Jimbo Fisher wasn't worth the cost to begin with, but outside of our sphere of influence, most thought that was a huge move and huge get.

There's a great thread running about the cost of inaction, too.  We knew enough about Jimbo by living in his back door to know that he was iffy at best.

The Auburn Creed

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

Good is the enemy of great.  Fear just doesn't move me.  

14 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I mean I feel ya. But we all know Saban isn't "Saban" without Alabama. And as much as we love football around here, we will never share the same religious, win-at-all-cost zeal that Bama has. We could have Nick Saban himself and I fully believe he would look no different than his time at LSU.

Simply put, Auburn doesn't have the culture to support Saban-like performance. If we did, best believe the NCAA would be gunning to give us the Death Penalty.

I don't know what the solution is and to be honest I don't know that there is one. 

We do have that win at all cost attitude. We just try to hide it and aren't self aware about it. Just own it man. Stop trying to act like it's beneath us. 

Auburn has never had a great football coach. WHEN (not if) we get lucky enough to have one it is amazing how the narrative will change. If it can happen to baby bro Clem it can happen to anyone.

15 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

There's a great thread running about the cost of inaction, too.  We knew enough about Jimbo by living in his back door to know that he was iffy at best.

The Auburn Creed

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

Good is the enemy of great.  Fear just doesn't move me.  

All I'm saying is there's a fine line between fearless and reckless... Confidence and arrogance.

Caution is not the same as fear. And I would rather keep Malzahn than to fire him only to find ourselves considering former stand-outs with no coaching experience because of our impatience.

15 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

All I'm saying is there's a fine line between fearless and reckless... Confidence and arrogance.

Caution is not the same as fear. And I would rather keep Malzahn than to fire him only to find ourselves considering former stand-outs with no coaching experience because of our impatience.

I know you're not alone.  I respect your views.  I'm just leaning the opposite right now, because I've seen the benefit of risk over a lifetime of opportunity...and the blessings that came to pass because of it have shaped my worldview.  I'm more concerned about the cost of inactivity at the present.  Seven years is truly a long tenure-rope in the era of coaching that we are witnessing.  I feel, in some ways, he wasn't set up for success if he had no specific benchmarks for improvement over time beyond the fuzzy interpretation of simply "W/L."  But I believe he's had ample time to show his full poker hand/bag of tricks/ability to grow--fill in the blank..

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He deserves to be fired. His current buyout before 12/23 is only like $10m according to 247. 

I don’t care what kind of program you were left with, he should not be losing the games he’s been losing his entire tenure. Like I said earlier—pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

He deserves to be fired. His current buyout before 12/23 is only like $10m according to 247. 

I don’t care what kind of program you were left with, he should not be losing the games he’s been losing his entire tenure. Like I said earlier—pathetic. 

They are so embarrassingly bad I wouldn't hire Morris as a OC! Lol

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Texas A&M thought throwing money at the problem was the solution and look where they are. Some would say Jimbo Fisher wasn't worth the cost to begin with, but outside of our sphere of influence, most thought that was a huge move and huge get.

I was never a Jimbo fan, as I've stated too often during coach search discussions.

I don't know what Texas A&M fans thought processes were during their search, nor what they are now, but it's the same thing I've mentioned a couple times lately. 

Auburn people, especially the PTB, need to just focus on what WE want, need, and are looking for instead of what National or Regional "experts", who are NOT "Auburn" experts think about our situation. 

Perhaps aTm put too much stock in what those "experts" said were important and got sold a bill of goods.  After all, to many (most) of us, the "experts" are missing the mark on Gus because they follow a few dozen or more teams and only see the basics (highlights).

Of course, those who want to keep Gus gives those non-Auburn "experts" applause and point to that as the reason to keep him.  Could be they're selling us the "Jimbo" that we already have?

Conclusion, knowing a little about a lot isn't always as helpful when you need to know a lot about a little. 

Of course, the view from the other side will disagree and I understand that.  It depends on what we value in the coach's results. 

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I was never a Jimbo fan, as I've stated too often during coach search discussions.

I don't know what Texas A&M fans thought processes were during their search, nor what they are now, but it's the same thing I've mentioned a couple times lately. 

Auburn people, especially the PTB, need to just focus on what WE want, need, and are looking for instead of what National or Regional "experts", who are NOT "Auburn" experts think about our situation. 

Perhaps aTm put too much stock in what those "experts" said were important and got sold a bill of goods.  After all, to many (most) of us, the "experts" are missing the mark on Gus because they follow a few dozen or more teams and only see the basics (highlights).

Of course, those who want to keep Gus gives those non-Auburn "experts" applause and point to that as the reason to keep him.  Could be they're selling us the "Jimbo" that we already have?

Conclusion, knowing a little about a lot isn't always as helpful when you need to know a lot about a little. 

Of course, the view from the other side will disagree and I understand that.  It depends on what we value in the coach's results. 

The TAMU AD worked with Jimbo at LSU. That is why they were enamored with him. And now that same AD is now at LSU haha.

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The TAMU AD worked with Jimbo at LSU. That is why they were enamored with him. And now that same AD is now at LSU haha.

BAD AD! Baaaaaaaaaad AD!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

BAD AD! Baaaaaaaaaad AD!

Why can't you like Jimbo and Bob Stoops like me?!?! WHO DO YOU LIKE?!?! lol

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why can't you like Jimbo and Bob Stoops like me?!?! WHO DO YOU LIKE?!?! lol

LOL!

I've NEVER liked Jimbo.  Even when he had FSU on top. Like I said, I've spewed the "why" so much I'm sure people got tired of it.

Stoops, on the other hand, I would have no problem at all if he came to Auburn.  As I mentioned before,  it's merely my concern as to how hungry he really is.  He may be wanting to get back in the game badly and Auburn would be a dream come true.  Or, he may take the money and coach more complacently than we've seen in the past.  I don't know.

I just know, giving him a "Gus" like buyout would be STOOOOOOOOOOOOPID!!!!!!

If anything, his PAYOUT should be closer to Gus' buyout. ....You know that'll NEVER happen. 

EDIT: Sorry, missed the "who I like" question. 

Again, I'd take Stoops given he gets the right incentives. Otherwise, I like many on Bird's list.  Also, I'm more & more enamored with Fleck & Kleiman. 

Just now, AUsince72 said:

LOL!

I've NEVER liked Jimbo.  Even when he had FSU on top. Like I said, I've spewed the "why" so much I'm sure people got tired of it.

Stoops, on the other hand, I would have no problem at all if he came to Auburn.  As I mentioned before,  it's merely my concern as to how hungry he really is.  He may be wanting to get back in he game badly and Auburn would be a dream come true.  Or, he may take the money and coach ore complacently than we've seen in the past.  I don't know.

I just know, giving him a "Gus" like buyout would be STOOOOOOOOOOOOPID!!!!!!

If anything, his PAYOUT should be closer to Gus' buyout. ....You know that'll NEVER happen. 

GREAT!!! I love this explanation and reasoning a lot better!! WOOO!!! STOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

GREAT!!! I love this explanation and reasoning a lot better!! WOOO!!! STOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!

🤜💥🤛

Also, I edited my previous post to include who I like!

• WarTiger changed the title to Arkansas

COME ON GUS!!!! GO HOME!!! lol. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!! If you were to win 7 or 8 games at Arky after the Chad Morris tenure you would be a hero to them!!! lol.

e3e3.gif

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

COME ON GUS!!!! GO HOME!!! lol. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!! If you were to win 7 or 8 games at Arky after the Chad Morris tenure you would be a hero to them!!! lol.

e3e3.gif

Will Gus go home, or will he swallow his pride and try to hire Morris as OC?

I'm a little conflicted here. Want Gus to go, but the thought of Morris as OC (if he is allowed to make staff changes) is intriguing to me. 🤔

Archived