Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, Shad_sensei said:

Alright, let's fire Gus. Get out of here Gus. You are fired. 

Now that we've got Gus out of here. 

What are our expectations for 2020 with a new chief at the helm?

What about 2021? 

Let's say we keep Gus. 

Expectations for 2020- 8 wins 

Expectations for 2021- 8 wins

Expectations forever- 8 wins. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're right!

Thank you Gus for losing to our rivals again.

Thank you for averaging ~ 14pts against competent defenses

Thank you for your dedication to a failing offensive philosophy.

Thank you for competing for championships in September and most of October

Thank you for keeping our offensive players fresh for the 4th qtr against UGa by not playing the the first 3 1/2 quarters. That was Genius.

Thank you for abandoning the RPO plays that were successful against Oregon and MSU.

Thank you for not losing to Ole Miss

Thank you for trying to develop our players by ignoring their skill sets and forcing them to do things they aren't great at.

Thank you for retaining Grimes. The improvement in OL is indescribable

Thank you for the wildcat and ignoring the detractors that say we can run left.

Thank you for expanding Joiner's role to both the Rail and the Flat.

Thank you for nurturing the apathy among the fans.

Thank you for all you have done for us this year.

Image result for golf clap gif

14 minutes ago, Shad_sensei said:

What about 2021? 

No different than with Gus, we could count on wins against Alcorn St, Ole Miss, So. Miss, UK, MSU, Arkansas and UMass...so at least 7 wins. 

The usual toss-ups with A&M and a decent OOC Tarheel squad at a neutral site. So win one and we're already in Malzahn turf. 

LSU, Bama and UGA will be an uphill battle with our bargain-bin offensive line, so we may lose all three...but we're used to that, aren't we? 

18 minutes ago, Shad_sensei said:

What about 2021? 

2020 is gonna be difficult no matter who runs the show (all new OL, graduation of our DL studs).

2021? Who knows thats too far off. 

You seem to know it all do you expect Gus to return to the SECCG in either of those years? If so what would you base that on?

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd say they are about the same in 2020. However, we would be moving forward into 2021, not starting over each year.  Our program has zero identity. Each year we wait 4 games to see what that year's team is gonna be. As a HC you should set the direction and identity if the program. After 7 years, our identity is that we are the most schizophrenic program in the nation.

I can agree there. Offensively we don't really exist. Reminds me of when LSU was winding down the Les Miles era honestly. I don't desire that for Auburn whatsoever. That wind down lasted like 7 years. 

I am honestly soured by the thought of looking for a head coach. I say that because I believe the Auburn expectations were managed well this season. I see the points for and against Malzahn being here with us. 

I see how other fan bases have fared with new coaches as well. Many turn arounds, reloads, repairs are still in progress and the expectations continue to rise  exponentially while actual progress is slow. I wonder whether bringing in a new coach will truly satisfy the expectations and whether that coach will have time to make it happen. That's all. Or will we be here again in a couple of years fighting about why Malzahn should've stayed and looking at the next up and coming coach?

14 minutes ago, Shad_sensei said:

I can agree there. Offensively we don't really exist. Reminds me of when LSU was winding down the Les Miles era honestly. I don't desire that for Auburn whatsoever. That wind down lasted like 7 years. 

I am honestly soured by the thought of looking for a head coach. I say that because I believe the Auburn expectations were managed well this season. I see the points for and against Malzahn being here with us. 

I see how other fan bases have fared with new coaches as well. Many turn arounds, reloads, repairs are still in progress and the expectations continue to rise  exponentially while actual progress is slow. I wonder whether bringing in a new coach will truly satisfy the expectations and whether that coach will have time to make it happen. That's all. Or will we be here again in a couple of years fighting about why Malzahn should've stayed and looking at the next up and coming coach?

My issues with Gus have very little, if anything to do with his record. For me, its the same underlying issues that we seemingly have each year that bother me the most. Those issues are the cause of the poor performances.

The lack of direction, the lack of identity, the poor player development and utilization, the predictability, the formation/play tendencies, and the absolute refusal to address any of  them.  That shows me that it's not going to get better. The next coach might not be as good, but that's a risk I'm willing to take because he has an equal chance to be great. Gus is a known quantity and, after 7 years, I'm not willing to be happy with 5 loss a year coach.

1 hour ago, Shad_sensei said:

What about 2021? 

Hope maybe? Just spitballing here....

Good lord, the pretzels we’re twisting ourself into to justify keeping a coach with a mediocre record are mind boggling. The only thing that should give AU pause about running Gus off is money and people with knowledge of such things say the money is there. If we want to accept winning 2/3 of our games and 1/4 rivalry game we should be transparent about that.....and then pay somebody about 1/7 of what the current guy is getting to deliver those results.

44 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Let's say we keep Gus. 

Expectations for 2020- 8 wins 

Expectations for 2021- 8 wins

Expectations forever- 8 wins. 

Image result for i sense a pattern gif

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My issues with Gus have very little, if anything to do with his record. For me, its the same underlying issues that we seemingly have each year that bother me the most. Those issues are the cause of the poor performances.

The lack of direction, the lack of identity, the poor player development and utilization, the predictability, the formation/play tendencies, and the absolute refusal to address any of  them.  That shows me that it's not going to get better. The next coach might not be as good, but that's a risk I'm willing to take because he has an equal chance to be great. Gus is a known quantity and, after 7 years, I'm not willing to be happy with 5 loss a year coach.

After UGA I'm at a point where my reasoning is this: Gus isn't beating our rivals, let's give someone else a chance. If they can't beat our rivals either, then so what? It's not like that's any worse than it is now. Even if a new guy flames out after a few years we'll have a new sexy football facility and we're still in a great spot for recruiting. 

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Image result for can't argue gif

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think the real problem is he's tried to change but is just too inept to do so. Since 2017 he's tried to change the offense to be more pass heavy. He recruited o-linemen that were better in pass pro but not very good at run blocking. So when this pass game isn't working he tries to revert back to running more and can't do it. He's between 2 offenses. He didn't recruit good o-lineman that can do both. Either a good run blocker early in his career or a good pass blocker that last few. And even then, our o-line is just ok at pass blocking. My two cents.

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1_lnIB8jI-1D5nP10ZUxsdhA.gif

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

No different than with Gus, we could count on wins against Alcorn St, Ole Miss, So. Miss, UK, MSU, Arkansas and UMass...so at least 7 wins. 

The usual toss-ups with A&M and a decent OOC Tarheel squad at a neutral site. So win one and we're already in Malzahn turf. 

LSU, Bama and UGA will be an uphill battle with our bargain-bin offensive line, so we may lose all three...but we're used to that, aren't we? 

If Ole Miss finds a defense they won’t be a gimme next year. 

33 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I think the real problem is he's tried to change but is just too inept to do so. Since 2017 he's tried to change the offense to be more pass heavy. He recruited o-linemen that were better in pass pro but not very good at run blocking. So when this pass game isn't working he tries to revert back to running more and can't do it. He's between 2 offenses. He didn't recruit good o-lineman that can do both. Either a good run blocker early in his career or a good pass blocker that last few. And even then, our o-line is just ok at pass blocking. My two cents.

You are right. Gus has tried to change things but there is clearly some sort of disconnect. Heading into half time of the Georgia game he said something that lead me to believe he has relinquished some control of the offense, BUT still requires it to be ran. The requirement for the offense to be run in that manner is indicative of a bigger underlying problem to me. To me he said that he has allowed the coordinators and guys to do what they envisioned but it clearly wasn't working and they would be going his direction in the second half. 

If that is what attributed to the increased offensive performance in the 4th quarter then I am totally on board with getting rid of Gus. Simply because you can't force philosophy upon others that they don't agree with. Especially when you are not providing them with proof that it works nor how to make it work without you. 

I also agree that when you have the program that Auburn has established you don't have time for that if you want to win and win continuously. 

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Smoke out there's from the hysterical villagers with their torches and pitch forks. Malzahn the "monster" is loose, losing by 3 to #1, by a TD to #4 & by a missed tackle and self-tripped D lineman to #11. (Everybody KNOWS that win vs #6 was a fluke). Sitting top 15 with that schedule at end of Nov again? Burn him!!!!

Yup, not Malzahn's fault our offensive genius coach is relying on a 300 pound defensive lineman to score for him to win a game when the defense gives up 17 points in 3 quarters. He's totally in the clear

Not that I really care, but if someone can explain to me how a schedule is easier in a year where you play your two archrivals plus some of the regularly highly-ranked teams we're used to having to play at their houses...I'm all ears. But not really. Which is why to me our 2019 schedule was a cop-out with the "Amen November."

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Not that I really care, but if someone can explain to me how a schedule is easier in a year where you play your two archrivals plus some of the regularly highly-ranked teams we're used to having to play at their houses...I'm all ears. But not really. Which is why to me our 2019 schedule was a cop-out with the "Amen November."

Tua and burrow will be gone, we get LSU at home, and we don’t have to play Florida or open the year against a top 10/15 team. It’s definitely easier compared to this season 

7 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

It's our OOC opponent being a top tier Oregon, and our East-SEC opponents just happening to be the two very best the east has to offer. UGA/Florida. It doesn't make the team/coach any better, but the record would look a lot better.

IE: (and this won't ever happen due to UGA) but we play east opponents Vandy and Kentucky instead of florida/uga and we are easily sitting at 9-1 right now.

45 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Tua and burrow will be gone, we get LSU at home, and we don’t have to play Florida or open the year against a top 10/15 team. It’s definitely easier compared to this season 

Easier is still in the eye of the beholder, because it's all based on projection. Supposition. Players graduate, players come. Relock and reload. I understand that data collection on schedule strength is one stream of evaluation. But for this situation and time, it simply sounds like one more reason, excuse, rationale, ..., to let things ride for the brand.😉

I will say this. If you Google a pic of the Board of Trustees, you'll recognize only one or two in name only. With the greatest humility, I can't imagine all of the factors they have to take into consideration in this and other matters. When I look at all of the faces, I think they probably think, "This is not what I signed up for." 

I haven't changed my mind, but I'm trying really hard to trust the timing more. That said, I'll rail against my perception of an excuse every time I hear what sounds like one to my ears. 

5 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

You seem to know it all do you expect Gus to return to the SECCG in either of those years? If so what would you base that on?

This is the rub for me- the Turds expect to be in the SECCG most every year. Our expectations are that we may have a punchers chance to get there every 4-5. I never felt like maybe we can win the SEC every 5 years when coach Dye was at the helm. We expected to compete for Championships under that regime. We seem to be okay with mediocrity now. 

What's going on in the Auburn blogosphere right now? A large contingent on ITAT and AUC are back to sunshine pumping. College and Magnolia was all about "changes needing to be made" on Sunday. Now they're back to pumping Gus and poo pooing spending the buyout. I'm not on the bunker so I can't say what's going on there. Only this site and the Rant are still fired up about what happened last Saturday.

What's the deal? 

UNC isn't great but in year 2 under Mack Brown, considering our personnel change on the lines next year, won't be as easy as most on here will claim it will be over the summer. Mack will have all off-season to scout Gus and his tendencies and a new, inexperienced OL will be easy to exploit.

UNC's record is 4-6 but the margin of defeat in those games have been: 6, 3, 1, 2, 7, 7. All one possession games in a transition year for them. I look for them to take a step forward next year and Mack will be looking at our game against them as a spring board for the rest of their season.

If we drop that one, or look subpar in it even, the heat will be turned up and the board will be at each others throats from Week 2 onward

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not saying its when it started but I took notice when Auburn failed to show up vs Wisconsin.........blamed Gus for that........after the LSU I feel like I was robbed of something I look forward to each year.......Auburn Football.........again I blame Gus..........I barely watched the Georgia game and until today haven't given much thought to the Alabama game.........I feel like Gus' coaching and wasting all this talent has taken my spirit.........and that's hard to do because I'm glass half full kind of guy.

45 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

What's going on in the Auburn blogosphere right now? A large contingent on ITAT and AUC are back to sunshine pumping. College and Magnolia was all about "changes needing to be made" on Sunday. Now they're back to pumping Gus and poo pooing spending the buyout. I'm not on the bunker so I can't say what's going on there. Only this site and the Rant are still fired up about what happened last Saturday.

What's the deal? 

I dunno.   

There's going to be a coaching change so they're for it. 

Then there's not going to be a coaching change so they're for that. 

Some people just want to support the team in whatever the team is doing.  And they believe if you aren't doing the same, you're a lesser fan or a bammer making trouble.  

Archived