Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ready for a change no matter if we win or lose against Bama.   This is a good time to make a change.  The next coach will come in with a good foundation to build upon especially if we are able to retain Steele as DC.    

18 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Matt Rhule, Mike Norvell, Bill Clark, Bob Stoops Gus will likely be back for 2020 regardless of the Iron Bowl though.  I think Steele stays as DC in that he has autonomy on that side of the ball and Gus leaves him alone. We will see. We have the perfect opportunity though to beat bammer without Tua.  I think our D pins their ears back and makes Mack Jones miserable all game. I think Gus will go 2 minute offense far more this game than any in a long time.  We go 9-3 and win a bowl game at 10-3, it would be hard to get rid of Gus. If Gus can go 8-4 or 9-3 in 2020, this would be a good season with breaking in a new OL & DL. Maybe some of the young bucks on the DL will emerge as bonafide players in 2020. 

Who knows folks.....who knows....just trying to look at both sides of the situation is all if this makes sense! The UGA game reminded me a lot of the 2018 TAMU game except we lost. Lot of parallels with that game.

I love your optimism, but I'll counter the two sentences in bold type with this:

We've had the perfect opportunity to win all three games we lost, except Gus cannot put together a plan to score a minium of 25 points.

Gus will continue to do what he's done in the previous three losses; he'll try to prove he can go after a defenses strengths until it's too late. 

His insistence every week to say, "We've got to be able to run the ball" when he doesn't have the OL to consistently do it would be like me saying, "I've got to get down there and pick up that Rolls Royce" when I don't have a job.

54 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

beat bama will solve a lot of angst

...keep Gus rinse and repeat firing Gus one year from now.  Gus needs to go regardless of the Iron Bowl outcome.

1 hour ago, aubietiger14 said:

especially if we are able to retain Steele as DC.    

Thats a really big IF

17 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Lot of hysterical torches & pitch forks out there too.

I did not know inanimate object like torches could be hysterical but thanks for educating me.

32 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I did not know inanimate object like torches could be hysterical but thanks for educating me.

I think there’s one in Beauty and the Beast or maybe I’m just thinking of that candle. :) 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I really don't think it will. 

I’m of the opinion, and its just that, an opinion because I have zero inside info, that the decision has already been made and that is to move on from Gus...however, if he does beat bama then I think it will put that on hold and make it more difficult.  Not just because its bama but also because with a bowl win he could have a 10-3 season.  Which on the face of it sounds good.  If you actually watch the games and follow what has happened you know it could’ve been so much better but the national media will pounce on Auburn if they fire a 10 win coach who beat bama.  

16 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m of the opinion, and its just that, an opinion because I have zero inside info, that the decision has already been made and that is to move on from Gus...however, if he does beat bama then I think it will put that on hold and make it more difficult.  Not just because its bama but also because with a bowl win he could have a 10-3 season.  Which on the face of it sounds good.  If you actually watch the games and follow what has happened you know it could’ve been so much better but the national media will pounce on Auburn if they fire a 10 win coach who beat bama.  

The emotionally based decision would be to keep him; however, if you look at everything logically, he would have beaten the weakest Bama team we've seen since 2007 because of Tua being out. If this was any other post-2007 Bama team, we'd get wrecked. So I think the logical choice would be to can him no matter what the outcome.

Conversely, if we lose to the weakest Bama team since 2007, it would be emotionally and logically justified to fry him. I don't think he'd survive.

3 hours ago, TigerOne said:

beat bama will solve a lot of angst

Not at all.  Bama is without Tua.  Beating them with a backup QB in our house should be expected.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Not at all.  Bama is without Tua.  Beating them with a backup QB in our house should be expected.

It would be like Alabama beating the 2010 team in Tuscaloosa, without Cam and Nick Fairley.

59 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Beating them with Tua at QB in our house should be expected.

I think if Auburn does beat Alabama, then no, Auburn doesn't "fire" Gus. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't shop him out to Arkansas (assuming they're still looking) and let him save face.

Unless of course we somehow wallop them by 30 points. Then I'll happily be right back on board.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Exactly. 

And beating them WITH Tua would just exacerbate the fact that Gus excremented the bed in the other 3 rival games this year (not to mention the last 6 years).

On 11/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, boddagetta09 said:

Smoke started late yesterday, and I've only seen it pick up since then. Not sure how much truth there is, but apparently there have been conversations going on behind the scenes and practice wasn't held yesterday. 

Can anyone confirm the no practice piece for me? Was it really cancelled? I know this stirs the pot, but that's not my intention. I genuinely don't know if this is true. 

Auburn could probably easily beat Samford cancelling practicing all week, just do a Friday walk through. I noticed Bama didn't practice Monday, think the uaT board is gonna fire Saban?

22 minutes ago, Notjeffco said:

Auburn could probably easily beat Samford cancelling practicing all week, just do a Friday walk through. I noticed Bama didn't practice Monday, think the uaT board is gonna fire Saban?

Not on that alone. But that's never been the issue, has it?

#rehash 

Beating Bama is beating Bama.  I don’t care if Tiny Tim comes out on a crutch for Bama at Qb.  9-3 with loses against the 2 teams playing for the SEC and a possible top 10 Florida.  Sure it’s disappointing to see this offense suck but unless Gus leaves on his own accord I doubt he gets fired.  I don’t care how much money Jimmy has he’s not stroking a $25 mill check to fire a coach.  I also heard an interesting stat that if Auburn wins it’ll make Gus 3-4 against Saban during their historic run.  I understand Gus’s record against the big 3 sucks but 3-4 isn’t terrible. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Beating Bama is beating Bama.  I don’t care if Tiny Tim comes out on a crutch for Bama at Qb.  9-3 with loses against the 2 teams playing for the SEC and a possible top 10 Florida.  Sure it’s disappointing to see this offense suck but unless Gus leaves on his own accord I doubt he gets fired.  I don’t care how much money Jimmy has he’s not stroking a $25 mill check to fire a coach.  I also heard an interesting stat that if Auburn wins it’ll make Gus 3-4 against Saban during their historic run.  I understand Gus’s record against the big 3 sucks but 3-4 isn’t terrible. 

Auburn football is no longer fun. The kids aren't developing. The product is mind numbing. The coach has no connection with the fans. The program doesn't embody the University. 

We are tired. Auburn people are tired of this and Gus has to go. 

Just imagine or remember the feeling of having a head coach who was a real genuine person. Talked straight, competed, and whose personality bled all the way down to the fans. We need that back and it isn't a big ask.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Beating them with Tua at QB in our house should be expected.

giphy-13.gif

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Auburn football is no longer fun. The kids aren't developing. The product is mind numbing. The coach has no connection with the fans. The program doesn't embody the University. 

We are tired. Auburn people are tired of this and Gus has to go. 

Just imagine or remember the feeling of having a head coach who was a real genuine person. Talked straight, competed, and whose personality bled all the way down to the fans. We need that back and it isn't a big ask.

Football quit being fun when the updyke cult infiltrated the sec, ncaa, espn.

Theres only 3-4 schools now that are allowed to play. Add that to what Auburn does to itself and that’s what we have

On 11/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, tbone1430 said:

I hope we don’t knee jerk and make Steele HC. I’d be fine with him being interim at this point and at least give him an interview but I’d rather get the right guy than have a band aid cover right now. Even if that means waiting for Cristobal after the CFP. I think that was our mistake last time missing on Kirby was giving an ultimatum to come now vs letting them finish out their season. Who knows though. 

Not being too much of a fan of Kirby, I am glad that did not transpire. We would have gone through all that uproar with Kirby just to have him leave for UGA anyway> JMO.

2 hours ago, Notjeffco said:

They are in mourning for Tua

Archived