Women’s Basketball

jared52

On 4/1/2020 at 6:40 PM, augolf1716 said:

Agree on everything but I can tell you 1.8 million want be chump change if football is not played this coming season. AU is already down 2% to 4% because of less money from the NCAA Basketball payout. This could get real ughy praying that it don't.

You may have to step up and write a check.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going to take a minimum of a decade to rebound from this debacle. Should go ahead and cut the losses. Every day Coach Flo stays at AU, it sets even farther behind. We have been passed by every program in the conference. Even UAB has a better program than Auburn right now

2 hours ago, tigers23 said:

Its going to take a minimum of a decade to rebound from this debacle. Should go ahead and cut the losses. Every day Coach Flo stays at AU, it sets even farther behind. We have been passed by every program in the conference. Even UAB has a better program than Auburn right now

I understand your frustrations but you are being over dramatic. Any major program is at most 3-4 years away from rebounding if they get the right coach who can get the right talent in recruiting.

No we should not go ahead & cut our losses. If we do we are paying Flo $1.8 mil to go. That combined with the economic uncertainty means that we would likely not pay much to get a quality replacement HC if we let her go now. Unfortunately we need to bite the bullet & keep her til the pandemic is over & the economy stabilizes for our athletic department.

We haven't been passed by every team in the conference. Ole Miss is at the bottom.

Mark Campbell

Mark Campbell
  • Title
    Head Coach
  • Email

• Phone

Mark Campbell was named the women's basketball head coach for Union University in 1999. Campbell is currently in his 21st season as the head coach of the Lady Bulldogs compiling an overall record of 613-94. Campbell is first on the all-time Union coaching wins list (current list: Campbell 613, Blackstock-509, Birmingham-198). 

In the summer of 2019, Campbell was selected as the head coach for the USA U16 Women's Basketball National Team. His team went undefeated in Chile, winning a a Gold Medal for the USA in the American's Championship Tournament. His team also qualified for the U17 World Championships in the summer of 2020, in which he will also serve as the head coach. 

Also in the summer of 2019, Campbell was elected to the NAIA Hall of Fame as a coach. 

In his 20 seasons, he has led his Union teams to a third place or higher finish in national tournaments 12 times, including 10 straight from 2005-14. He has won five national titles of the six in women's basketball history at Union. Campbell was tops in the NAIA in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and then won the 2014 NCCAA National Title. He has two second-place finishes in national tournaments,  2011 and 2012 in the NAIA. He has five third place finishes, 2002, 2007, and 2008 in the NAIA, 2013 in the NCCAA National Tournament, and 2018 in the NCAA D2 National Tournament. 

In 2018-19, Campbell made college basketball history, winning his 600th career game faster than any coach in the history of the sport at any level, men or women. He earned his 600th win, January 10, 2019 at Auburn-Montgomery, reaching the milestone in just 691 total games. He broke the women's record of 706 games by Nancy Fahey, currently of Illinois, but earned more than 600 wins at NCAA DIII Washington-St. Louis. Campbell is also faster than the men's record holder, Kentucky's Adolph Rupp, who reached the mark in 704 games. During the 2014-15 season, Campbell earned his 500th win (2/12/15 vs. Valdosta State) as a head coach becoming the fastest coach to the win total in all of women's college basketball taking him just 569 games. He was also the fastest women's college coach to 400 wins (448 games). His 400th win came on Nov. 1, 2011 versus Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.). In a win over Azusa Pacific (Calif.) on Nov. 22, 2008, Campbell notched his 300th career win. He recorded his 200th career win on Nov. 19, 2005 versus The Master's (Calif.), while earning his 100th career win over Philander Smith (Ark.) on Nov. 19, 2002.

In 2018-19, Campbell led Union to a 27-4 overall record, a league best 18-2 GSC mark, and a No. 2 seed in the NCAA D2 National Tournament South Region. It was the fifth GSC Regular Season Title for Union, and fourth trip to the NCAA D2 National Tournament in the five years of membership. 

His best NCAA D2 season to date came in 2017-18 when his Lady Bulldogs won a fourth Gulf South Conference regular season title and second GSC Tournament title. Union also won its first NCAA D2 South Region title, earning a trip to the Elite Eight. As a seventh season, Union won its first round game, advancing to the national semifinals before falling to the eventual national champions. 

In 2015-16, Campbell led his team to 20 GSC wins, setting a league record for conference wins in a season.

In 2014-15, the first season as an active member of the NCAA D2 and GSC, he led Union to the Gulf South Conference Regular Season and Tournament titles, a South Region No. 1 Ranking, No. 1 seed and host to NCAA Division II National Tournament South Region, NCAA DII Sweet Sixteen Appearance. Union finished 28-3 overall and 19-3 in the GSC.

The 2013-14 season saw Union post a 25-6 overall record and a third place 15-5 record in the GSC. However, Union captured the 2014 NCCAA National Title. The 2012-13 season for Union was the first year of playing NCAA DII and Gulf South Conference competition as Union moves through the DII membership process. Campbell led Union to a first place tie in the Gulf South Conference regular season standings. He also coached the team to the 2013 National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) MidEast Region Title and a third place finish in the NCCAA National Tournament.

Campbell closed out the NAIA era for Union with four straight trips to the NAIA championships game. Union finished runner-up in the NAIA in 2011 and 2012, making Campbell's record in national title games 4-2 during the NAIA era.

Campbell led Union to an NAIA record of 48 consecutive No. 1 rankings in the national poll. From the preseason poll of 2007 through the final poll of 2011, Union was ranked No. 1 in the NAIA. 

In the 2007-08 season, Campbell led Union to the first perfect regular season in Union women's basketball history. The Lady Bulldogs finished with a perfect 29-0 regular season mark in 2007-08.

Campbell's .895 winning percentage following the final year of Union's NAIA era in 2012 ranked him No. 1 among NAIA women's basketball coaches with five or more years of coaching.

In his career as Union’s head coach, Campbell’s teams have won 16 conference regular season titles and 11 conference tournament titles. He has reached the 30-win plateau 13 times in his career and set a program record with 37 wins in 2008-09.

Over his career as the head coach of Union women's basketball, Campbell has been named the Gulf South Conference Coach of the year three times (2015, 2016, 2018), the TranSouth Coach of the Year six times (2001, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010), Daktronics South Region Coach of the Year once (2015), WBCA NCAA D2 South Region Coach of the Year three times (2015, 2016, 2018), NAIA National Coach of the Year four times (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010), NAIA WBCA Coach of the Year twice (2004, 2008), and the TSWA Coach of the Year five times (2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012).

Campbell spent five seasons as a player for the Lipscomb Bison basketball team. He graduated from Lipscomb University in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and from Union University in 1996 with a Master’s degree in Education.

After red-shirting his freshman season at Lipscomb University, Campbell went on to excel in the basketball arena. Campbell currently ranks 12th in all-time scoring at Lipscomb with 1,509 points. The 724 assists he accumulated during his career places him in the top five at Lipscomb for career assists. Campbell helped guide the Bisons to five national tournament appearances, a 129-19 four-year record, and red-shirted on the team that set a national record of 41 wins in a season.

After college, Campbell joined Union’s men’s basketball coaching staff as the graduate assistant in 1994 and then became the full time assistant coach in 1996. He worked under the guidance of fellow Lipscomb graduate and former Union men’s head coach Ralph Turner for five seasons until being named the women’s basketball coach in 1999.

During his time as a head coach for the Union University Lady Bulldogs, he has proven to be much more than a great basketball coach. "I believe my responsibility to each of my players is to have a vision for who they can be in every area of life, and communicate it to them in a way that challenges them to pursue it."

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACHING WIN/LOSS RECORDS HISTORY

Year
 -- Head Coach -- OverallConference (Career)
2018-19 -- Mark Campbell -- 27-4, 18-2 (613-94, .867)
2017-18 -- Mark Campbell -- 32-4,18-2 
2016-17 -- Mark Campbell -- 17-12, 12-10
2015-16 -- Mark Campbell -- 28-4, 20-2
2014-15 -- Mark Campbell -- 28-4, 19-3
2013-14 -- Mark Campbell -- 25-615-5
2012-13 -- Mark Campbell -- 22-913-5
2011-12 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-315-1
2010-11 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-215-1
2009-10 -- Mark Campbell -- 36-216-0
2008-09 -- Mark Campbell -- 37-116-0
2007-08 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-118-0
2006-07 -- Mark Campbell -- 30-615-3
2005-06 -- Mark Campbell -- 31-610-2
2004-05 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-58-4
2003-04 -- Mark Campbell -- 32-514-2
2002-03 -- Mark Campbell -- 34-315-1
2001-02 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-413-1
2000-01 -- Mark Campbell -- 31-513-1
1999-2000 -- Mark Campbell -- 28-813-1

In the middle of this economic disaster... Auburn isn’t gonna throw away 1.8 mil to get rid of a non-rev coach.  The optics would be horrific.  They can hide behind the minimal recent success a year or 2 ago and ride this out.  I hate it but she’s the coach unless fans themselves stroke a check.  Nobody is gonna buy her contract.

In a year or two Mark Campbell would be a solid option to look at if has not moved on. He would be one of many we should look at. great record great resume and because of working with U16 and U17 teams would have contact with some of top players big question mark on him would be how well he would do at a much tougher Div. 1  level in recruiting. 

As others have said we will have Flo at least one maybe two more years because of finances.

To individuals such as myself, $1.8 million is a big deal. It's not a big deal to the Auburn athletic department. Those kids who entered the transfer portal could still, at this point, remain at Auburn if they wanted to do so. A new, quality coach should be enough to keep them here. The time to act is now.

Women's basketball wasn't a non revenue sport when we had winning teams. Hell, there was a recent time when men's basketball at AU was close to being a non revenue sport. (Thanks, Tony Barbee) Lets get behind this team and players, do the right thing by them and move the program back to the levels it once occupied.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

To individuals such as myself, $1.8 million is a big deal. It's not a big deal to the Auburn athletic department. Those kids who entered the transfer portal could still, at this point, remain at Auburn if they wanted to do so. A new, quality coach should be enough to keep them here. The time to act is now.

Women's basketball wasn't a non revenue sport when we had winning teams. Hell, there was a recent time when men's basketball at AU was close to being a non revenue sport. (Thanks, Tony Barbee) Lets get behind this team and players, do the right thing by them and move the program back to the levels it once occupied.

Generally speaking, I completely agree with this post.  I’m on record on this forum as saying that buying Flo out was nothing to the athletic dept.  At the time I said that I had assumed wrongly she was making about half what she makes.  I was shocked she made this much and that the buyout is what it is.

unfortunately the “university“ (regardless of who it actually was) made a bad hiring and contractural decision.

again, who is gonna spend 1.8 mil in the present environment.

of course there is a headline Behind the pay wall on AUC that says “huge coaching move in women’s hoops”.  There are no likes, so I assume it isn’t auburn related.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Generally speaking, I completely agree with this post.  I’m on record on this forum as saying that buying Flo out was nothing to the athletic dept.  At the time I said that I had assumed wrongly she was making about half what she makes.  I was shocked she made this much and that the buyout is what it is.

unfortunately the “university“ (regardless of who it actually was) made a bad hiring and contractural decision.

again, who is gonna spend 1.8 mil in the present environment.

of course there is a headline Behind the pay wall on AUC that says “huge coaching move in women’s hoops”.  There are no likes, so I assume it isn’t auburn related.

More likely this

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

f course there is a headline Behind the pay wall on AUC that says “huge coaching move in women’s hoops”.  There are no likes, so I assume it isn’t auburn related.

It was Texas getting the Mississippi State coach

I will one up you: Karen Aston

Texas did not renew her contract on Friday - what has she done?  Sweet 16 three times in last 7 or 8  yrs and elite 8 once.   Big 12 womens BB is not SEC, but come on, she would be an upgrade.  She has won everywhere she has been.  Had we paid Flo in Feb, we would have our vacancy...

Why did they cut her loose?  She couldn't get past Baylor.    

Auburn could attract a women's coach of Aston's ability with our coliseum and the excitement of  Bruce Pearl and the men's program.  I know they don't coach together, but there could be some synergy.  

oh well, what could've been

On 4/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, AlaskanFAN said:
Mark Campbell

Mark Campbell
  • Title
    Head Coach
  • Email

• Phone

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACHING WIN/LOSS RECORDS HISTORY

Year
 -- Head Coach -- OverallConference (Career)
2018-19 -- Mark Campbell -- 27-4, 18-2 (613-94, .867)
2017-18 -- Mark Campbell -- 32-4,18-2 
2016-17 -- Mark Campbell -- 17-12, 12-10
2015-16 -- Mark Campbell -- 28-4, 20-2
2014-15 -- Mark Campbell -- 28-4, 19-3
2013-14 -- Mark Campbell -- 25-615-5
2012-13 -- Mark Campbell -- 22-913-5
2011-12 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-315-1
2010-11 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-215-1
2009-10 -- Mark Campbell -- 36-216-0
2008-09 -- Mark Campbell -- 37-116-0
2007-08 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-118-0
2006-07 -- Mark Campbell -- 30-615-3
2005-06 -- Mark Campbell -- 31-610-2
2004-05 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-58-4
2003-04 -- Mark Campbell -- 32-514-2
2002-03 -- Mark Campbell -- 34-315-1
2001-02 -- Mark Campbell -- 35-413-1
2000-01 -- Mark Campbell -- 31-513-1
1999-2000 -- Mark Campbell -- 28-813-1

I think he has way too many tied games for my liking.

Just kidding, the guy is just driving a machine.  Unreal.  He could've coached Soviet Hockey in the 70's. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Auburn transfers and destinations:

Robyn Benton - Kentucky

Erin Howard - Florida State

Brooke Moore - Purdue

Also Lauren Hansen to Missouri 

6 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Robyn Benton - Kentucky

Brooke Moore - Purdue

Plus Hansen to Mizzou. What this tells us is that these kids are quality players who can go just about wherever they want. This is a tremendous talent drain from our program. In all my days as a follower of AU athletics I cannot recall anything close to this happening, regardless of which sport was involved. Our women's BB program is in a very sad situation.

I imagine with the hit on revenue from the no March Madness, A Green is not paying anyone he doesn't have to. 

Thus women's BB will reboot next season and again when Flo is moved along at some unknown point.

18 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Robyn Benton - Kentucky

Brooke Moore - Purdue

To lose 2 of our players to SEC teams(including Hansen to Mizz), really irritates me. 

Listen to Moore's reason for Purdue: "I love the university and very grateful for the opportunity but it wasn't a good fit in terms of my style of play and other personal reasons," Moore said. "I wasn't comfortable on the floor. I'm more like a transition type of kid. I like to go. I don't like to be closed down or put in a box." I have a feeling many of those transferring probably had the same problems.

I guess it still remains to be seen if they get to play or have to sit out a year. But to lose your 2-6 scorers is a problem.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

To lose 2 of our players to SEC teams(including Hansen to Mizz), really irritates me. 

Listen to Moore's reason for Purdue: "I love the university and very grateful for the opportunity but it wasn't a good fit in terms of my style of play and other personal reasons," Moore said. "I wasn't comfortable on the floor. I'm more like a transition type of kid. I like to go. I don't like to be closed down or put in a box." I have a feeling many of those transferring probably had the same problems.

I guess it still remains to be seen if they get to play or have to sit out a year. But to lose your 2-6 scorers is a problem.

She was being very gracias she liked the school but not the coach is what she was saying. After Coach Flo threw her team under the bus at the end of the year we all knew this was coming. Probably have to wait a minimum of one but probably two years before we can get a new coach for the Ladies and try and turn this around. 

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

She was being very gracias she liked the school but not the coach is what she was saying. After Coach Flo threw her team under the bus at the end of the year we all knew this was coming. Probably have to wait a minimum of one but probably two years before we can get a new coach for the Ladies and try and turn this around. 

Sad but true.

Recruiting international?

https://auburntigers.com/news/2020/4/27/romi-levy-signs-with-auburn-womens-basketball.aspx

Something to notice is the photo at the head of the article.........where are the fans?   To be fair, I don't have any idea when the picture was taken; maybe pre-game warm ups.

16 hours ago, slot canyon said:

https://auburntigers.com/news/2020/4/27/romi-levy-signs-with-auburn-womens-basketball.aspx

Something to notice is the photo at the head of the article.........where are the fans?   To be fair, I don't have any idea when the picture was taken; maybe pre-game warm ups.

According to the scoreboard clock, it's 20 minutes before tipoff VS. LSU. The crowds weren't much better than what's seen there as the season ground to a lackluster halt.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:26 AM, slot canyon said:

Flo has no choice. She needs bodies to replace the 5-6 she lost in the last 2 months. But how the heck do you find someone from Israel for women's basketball? lol.

The girl has a really nice FB look. Seems like a good girl. She seems athletic with her photos of her snowboarding, skiing and surf boarding. 

At 6'2" she's tall but doesn't have much weight or strength but hard to tell. Wonder what position she will play? SF?

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Wonder what position she will play?

Jason Caldwell said probably like a Stretch 4.

Archived