Minnesota game preview

Zeek

Minnesota's OC is leaving to be the OC at...yep...Penn State. I'm trying to find out if he's leaving before or after our bowl game, anybody? Golden Gopher fans on internet are pretty PO'd.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Minnesota's OC is leaving to be the OC at...yep...Penn State. I'm trying to find out if he's leaving before or after our bowl game, anybody? Golden Gopher fans on internet are pretty PO'd.

I’d be PO’d too. No reason to ditch them before the bowl unless there’s something I haven’t seen that would explain him having to leave before the bowl. Fleck did say in his press conference that he only found out yesterday.

Can the game get here already? These bowl games have been a running gag lately. Horrible football. I am hoping things change today.

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Not a shock, actually.  He came this close || to leaving last year for West Virginia, which would actually have been a weird lateral move.  But after giving notice, he changed his mind and stayed another year.

But we knew very well that he was in play for different jobs, his stock was high, and he had a history of listening to offers.  The only surprising thing was that he jumped to a team that we think we're in the act of surpassing.  But I guess he's from Pennsylvania.

In the bowl game our offensive play caller will be Matt Simon, a local (Minnesota) kid who is highly regarded and who has experience calling plays already.  Consider it an on-the-job tryout.

Auburn center ruled out for Outback Bowl

• by Brandon Marcello
  • 39 minutes ago

TAMPA, Florida — Auburn center Kaleb Kim will not be available for the Outback Bowl.

The backup, who started the majority of the season, injured his knee in the second-to-last game of the regular season and will not play in the bowl game against Minnesota on Jan. 1, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Friday.

Nick Brahms replaced Kim as the starter midway through the season. Jalil Irvin and Mike Horton could potentially back up Brahms in the bowl game, Malzahn said.

Love to hear that Javy Johnson is practicing. I think he's got as much potential as any freshman or incoming WR on the list. He could really be a factor in the rotation next year, especially with Hastings leaving. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Love to hear that Javy Johnson is practicing. I think he's got as much potential as any freshman or incoming WR on the list. He could really be a factor in the rotation next year, especially with Hastings leaving. 

Absolutely and IMHO Seth & Johnson on the field at same time (vs spelling each other) could be crazy good by 2021.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:42 AM, Brad_ATX said:

This is same logic people used last year with Purdue because they beat Ohio State without looking at the roster.  If you want a real idea of their talent level, look at the last five years of recruiting rankings.

2019 - 45th

2018 - 38th

2017 - 59th

2016 - 46th

2015 - 63rd

On average, they recruit about 25 spots lower than Mississippi State over that period. 

Also, the teams that Minnesota beat went a combined 51-70. 18 of those 51 wins were from Penn State and FCS SD State.  Essentially they beat one good team all year, just like Purdue did last year.

If Brown and Davidson play, we boat race the Gophers.  If those two sit out, we still probably win, but more like two touchdowns.  The Minnesota o-line is severely outmatched in this game.

This aged well...

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Already said I was wrong in the post game thread.  Not afraid to eat my crow.

Sorry bud, I missed it...everything you said in the info in this thread was correct...you just forgot to include the Gus-constant in your formula.    

14 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

I tried to told you!

This crow tastes terrible.

That game should not have happened that way but it did so mea culpa. 

I hope Steven Leath stubs his toe on the coffee table today.

10 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

It was a competitive game and fun for the observer.  Minnesota fans thank Auburn & Co for the good time.

Good luck next year, when your QB won't be a true freshman anymore.  Time to reload and win big!

Thanks for being a good sport and congrats on a fantastic season. Well earned. 

22 hours ago, japantiger said:

This aged well...

In his defense, he forgot what we always seem to forget: Gus only coaches when his job is on the line.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:25 PM, JWShewmake said:

I watched a little of their game with Wisconsin.  They played with them for about a quarter and a half and were actually leading early in the game.  Their defense is no where near SEC levels.  Their defensive line is big but they don't appear to be very quick with the exception of one defensive end who put a little pressure on Wisconsin's QB until their offensive line got their blocking assignments squared away.  Their linebackers did not appear very active or effective and their DB's do not seem to play very tight man coverage.  I think our offense will eat them up.  I know our defense will eat up their offense.  Their receivers have average speed.

JWShewmake 

This one didn’t age well either.  As a Gopher fan that occasionally checks in on other fan boards, I can at least say these opinions aren’t out of the ordinary.  It will take time for other fan bases to acknowledge the Gophers and this is what happens when a once-dominant program takes a multi-decade slumber.

I said prior to the game that I thought the spread was fair.  But it it doesn’t make sense to write a player (or players, or team) off because he is a three star HS recruit if he has developed into a top player and NFL prospect during his college career at a power 5 school.

Archived