Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

Since becoming HC, Malzahn has not had an established OC like Morris. Lots of assumptions in this thread about how Gus would act if he hired an OC that's old enough to shave. 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m taking it with a grain of salt, just thought it was interesting coming from a guy that I see on auburn Twitter a lot. He’s not verified so it’s not a sure thing until its announced.

Well, if it doesn't work out, there's always Rich Rod.  

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Seriously though Ole Miss had some of the best coordinators last year.  The DC they had turned around their D.  Their Qb is going to be a pain in the butt moving forward.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Seriously though Ole Miss had some of the best coordinators last year.  The DC they had turned around their D.  Their Qb is going to be a pain in the butt moving forward.

I know.  I'm totally serious about Rich Rod.  Anyone but Gus would jump at the chance.  

6 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Since becoming HC, Malzahn has not had an established OC like Morris. Lots of assumptions in this thread about how Gus would act if he hired an OC that's old enough to shave. 

He'd probably act like a guy who has done his best to avoid hiring offensive assistants who have opinions or the cache to voice them.

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

He was a polarizing HC. His fan base started having issues with the amount of time he was spending in Texas watching Chandler play HS ball - his son's a 4* DTQB and highly recruited.  But during the season SEC level coaching demands full attention and focus in order to prep for games on Saturday, Chad spending Friday nights in Texas when his team looked unprepared and overwhelmed while losing so badly became a thorn to the Arky folks.

I know absolutely nothing about Pittman, never even knew his name until Arky announced him as HC.  But I don't think that program could possibly go deeper into the cellar, Chad re-wrote the record books over there in a bad bad way.

Pittman has detroyed it in OL recruiting for UGA. He built that monster OL they currently have. He has destroyed us in some battles. I actually think given the circumstances that Arky may have made a good hire.

27 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Well that sucks for us.

Great recruiter and OL coach with ties all across the Southeast going to our rival.

A  lose-lose for Auburn.

I wonder if Gus even called him...

We still have an o-line coach  He would have to be on the way out before we'd hear anything about bringing someone else in to coach the OL. 

18 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Rich Rod is not exactly known for his innovative passing game concepts.  He's similar to Gus in that regard.

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Rich Rod is not exactly known for his innovative passing game concepts.  He's similar to Gus in that regard.

Well, Morris isn't known for his O line performance or O line recruiting, but he's a candidate.  Which do we need more at the moment?  Passing flair or O line productivity? 

Just now, AURealist said:

Well, Morris isn't known for his O line performance or O line recruiting, but he's a candidate.  Which do we need more at the moment?  Passing flair or O line productivity? 

Yes

7 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Oh, is Rich Rod going to improve the o-line play?  I don't think  the Chad Morris will solve our o-line issues either, but he could provide some good input into our passing game.  I don't disagree that o-line performance is a more pressing matter; but, right now, we don't have an opening for offensive line coach. 

Should we hire an offensive line coach as our next OC?  If so, then who's going to coach our QBs?

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Well that sucks for us.

Great recruiter and OL coach with ties all across the Southeast going to our rival.

A  lose-lose for Auburn.

I wonder if Gus even called him...

There is no oline coaching position available on Gus' staff, of course he didn't pursue Luke.

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

This hire could very well confirm our doubts about Gus going forward. Anyone from that list besides Morris or McGee and we're in for a long buyout wait.

I don't know.  Brent Dearmon is an intriguing candidate to me. 

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Oh, is Rich Rod going to improve the o-line play?  I don't think  the Chad Morris will solve our o-line issues either, but he could provide some good input into our passing game.  I don't disagree that o-line performance is a more pressing matter; but, right now, we don't have an opening for offensive line coach. 

Should we hire an offensive line coach as our next OC?  If so, then who's going to coach our QBs?

Seems that Dilly might've had a significant impact on OL recruiting, and if we continue forward in the right direction with that, then our Xs, Os and preparation are going to all look a lot better. 

3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

We may not have an opening for a new O line coach, but we have a need.   

I think Gus should be making some unforced changes to make the team better, like real coaches are doing  at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems that Dilly might've had a significant impact on OL recruiting, and if we continue forward in the right direction with that, then our Xs, Os and preparation are going to all look a lot better. 

Agreed.  If Rich Rod can help us with o-line recruiting or development, then I'm open to him, but we also need someone to help our QBs develop.  (Maybe he can do both; I don't know.)

8 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Agreed.  If Rich Rod can help us with o-line recruiting or development, then I'm open to him, but we also need someone to help our QBs develop.  (Maybe he can do both; I don't know.)

RR has QB coaching experience.  At Clemson, at least...  

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

I actually have come to believe that the run up the middle on first down is actually Gus's huddle for second and even third down. I think it gives him time to think and hey, if it gets him a few yards in the meantime then great. 

I think he is trying to take the will away from the other team by trying to dominate them physically, hitting u directly in the mouth. Unfortunately he has to realize sometimes u don’t have the horses to do that, or you can still be physical and dominate in other ways. The 2nd qtr drive before the half of 2013 Iron Bowl is a classic example. He ran Tre right down Bama’s throat several times on that drive and they could not stop it. They were fried and it eventually led to a game tying TD. Gus wants to me as physical as he can, especially at the point of attack, try to get ahead of the chains and hit you with the hurry up....thus wearing you out...when it works it’s great but it’s painful to watch when it’s not.

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

There is no oline coaching position available on Gus' staff, of course he didn't pursue Luke.

I know, for sure.   But I think it would be an upgrade to move Grimes to an admin role and upgrade the coaching position.  If Grimes wants to stay on, great, but in a different role if we can upgrade from one of these fractured programs.

It is Gus' job to lead this staff and upgrade when feasible and possible.   That is what he is paid to do.  Not sure anyone thinks this senior laden OL surpassed expectations this year.  Do we have reason to believe next year will be a great improvement?   

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I know, for sure.   But I think it would be an upgrade to move Grimes to an admin role and upgrade the coaching position.  If Grimes wants to stay on, great, but in a different role if we can upgrade from one of these fractured programs.

It is Gus' job to lead this staff and upgrade when feasible and possible.   That is what he is paid to do.  Not sure anyone thinks this senior laden OL surpassed expectations this year.  Do we have reason to believe next year will be a great improvement?   

In fairness, the expectations were too high. A lot of us tried to temper them before the season started when people like Phil Steele and even- somehow- Cole Cubelic started stoking the fire. I think it's a fair assumption for a casual fan to make that a Big Six SEC team with 5 senior starters returning is going to have a damned good OL, but anyone who took a look under the hood- especially if they're paid to do such things before talking about it publicly- understood that we still weren't working with all-anything talent. 

That all said, I'm not advocating for keeping Grimes on the sideline. I was okay with the re-hire but it's time to start approaching our offensive staff the same way we have our defensive staff. 4 All-SEC 1st or 2nd teamers on the team, all of them on defense. We need to make some changes. 

Archived