Null



Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

2020 ESD Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Young grasshopper, this discussion about O-line depth goes way, way back to prior years. Long, long before your current interest in it. I said we had 18 scholarship O-line players. (we did at the time) The deniers denied that and demanded a list, so I provided the requested list of 18 scholarship O-line players. It included ONE long snapper, Bill Taylor. Since the deniers could not find any other fault in my list, they jumped on the ONE long snapper as something to hang their hats on. As though the remaining 17, or 3.4 per position weren't enough O-linemen. As the months have rolled by, I'll all but forget the situation, but then those who got egg on their faces cannot seem to get over it so they bring it up ever and anon. If you don't think Taylor is an O-lineman, fine. I do. To reiterate, it ain't me that keeps trying to make one LS guy somehow invalidate a list of 18. @Maverick.AU, this should answer your question.

Respectfully, Mikey, people did find other faults in the list. The fault was always this: 

“They brought in top-12 recruiting classes in each of the past seven cycles, but they signed only 19 offensive linemen out of high school or junior college during that span and topped three in a single class only once (2015).”

“To compare: Alabama, Georgia and LSU signed 32, 28 and 26 high school and junior college offensive linemen, respectively, during the same span.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.montgomeryadvertiser.com/amp/2672207001

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Respectfully, Mikey, people did find other faults in the list. The fault was always this: 

“They brought in top-12 recruiting classes in each of the past seven cycles, but they signed only 19 offensive linemen out of high school or junior college during that span and topped three in a single class only once (2015).”

To compare: Alabama, Georgia and LSU signed 32, 28 and 26 high school and junior college offensive linemen, respectively, during the same span.

This is doing what was done with the LS diversion, which is moving on to another subject. I said nothing about about quality, talent level or anything other than we had 18 scholarship OL guys on the squad. Some people said we didn't and asked me to list them. I listed them. People got their feelings hurt when the list proved to be accurate. That's where all this came from. If you're trying to say the other SEC contenders have better OL groups that we do, that's fine. I never said they didn't. That's a different subject. All I said was that we had 18 OL guys on the squad at the time and we did. 17 if you don't want to count Taylor. That's where all this stems from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You don't know the hate I have for tech/bobby dodd  apparently............they are lower then whale s*** on the bottom of the ocean. 

Bobby Dodd was before my time. Pepper Rogers was their HC when I participated in the Wreck Tech parade in 1978. We lost to them that year but won every year after until the annual series ended in 1989.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Anybody know any details about him?  Were the attitude issues recent, or was it something that built up over time?  He got such great reviews his first year, sucks to hear about it.

AUDevil, what I have been told is that they are not very high on him as a leader, that the attitude he brings will be a detriment to the team because he just wont put in the work, will not listen to the coaches. Possibly, like Ellitor has said, it is that he is just tired of football.  It is a huge commitment in college, no matter the level.  I just know that having Brown and Davidson on the team as leaders negated Coe's influence.  That will not be the situation next year.

All that said, the person I speak with says that his is quite a fine young man, but as Ellitor suggests, tired of the game. I'm sorry if my post was misleading.

@ellitor Thank you.  I did not mean to disparage the young man.  Not my intention, and if it came across that way, please accept my apology.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is doing what was done with the LS diversion, which is moving on to another subject. I said nothing about about quality, talent level or anything other than we had 18 scholarship OL guys on the squad. Some people said we didn't and asked me to list them. I listed them. People got their feelings hurt when the list proved to be accurate. That's where all this came from. If you're trying to say the other SEC contenders have better OL groups that we do, that's fine. I never said they didn't. That's a different subject. All I said was that we had 18 OL guys on the squad at the time and we did. 17 if you don't want to count Taylor. That's where all this stems from.

Actually you said several times that we would be okay if there were injuries to starters because we had scholarship depth and that meant SEC caliber talent would step up. Several times you said this. 

Meanwhile, you've whined incessantly about linebackers and even intentionally misconstrued innocuous, offhand comments from coaches to inflate our need for numbers. All the while, we've stockpiled the position with mostly 4* or better talent and have been developing said talent and hitting on a far higher percentage of them than we have at OL. 

It is your complete lack of intellectual honesty that is the main problem here. The long snapper thing is just a convenient way of summing up your entire shtick.

There's only one person with egg on his face in this conversation. The fact that he keeps deflecting doesn't make him any less the omelette. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

AUDevil, what I have been told is that they are not very high on him as a leader, that the attitude he brings will be a detriment to the team because he just wont put in the work, will not listen to the coaches. Possibly, like Ellitor has said, it is that he is just tired of football.  It is a huge commitment in college, no matter the level.  I just know that having Brown and Davidson on the team as leaders negated Coe's influence.  That will not be the situation next year.

All that said, the person I speak with says that his is quite a fine young man, but as Ellitor suggests, tired of the game. I'm sorry if my post was misleading.

@ellitor Thank you.  I did not mean to disparage the young man.  Not my intention, and if it came across that way, please accept my apology.

It didn't come across that way, but fans can be forgiven for assuming the worst any time the word "attitude" is mentioned in anything other than a strictly positive light. 

Appreciate your insight!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually you said several times that we would be okay if there were injuries to starters because we had scholarship depth and that meant SEC caliber talent would step up. Several times you said this. 

Meanwhile, you've whined incessantly about linebackers and even intentionally misconstrued innocuous, offhand comments from coaches to inflate our need for numbers. All the while, we've stockpiled the position with mostly 4* or better talent and have been developing said talent and hitting on a far higher percentage of them than we have at OL. 

It is your complete lack of intellectual honestly that is the main problem here. The long snapper thing is just a convenient way of summing up your entire shtick.

There's only one person with egg on his face in this conversation. The fact that he keeps deflecting doesn't make him any less the omelette. Quite the opposite, in fact.

My complaints about linebackers mostly dried up after Muschamp signed 5 in the class of 2015. We did take a step back in 2016 by signing only one, but I've said little about linebackers since the signing of Britt's class except that we need to maintain by getting at least three per year.

We had OT's miss games and suffer injuries this season and the backups did step up. Proof of the puddin' and all that.

I see that, as usual, you've included you normal amount of personal insults and disparaging remarks. Have a nice day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My complaints about linebackers mostly dried up after Muschamp signed 5 in the class of 2015. We did take a step back in 2016 by signing only one, but I've said little about linebackers since the signing of Britt's class except that we need to maintain by getting at least three per year.

We had OT's miss games and suffer injuries this season and the backups did step up. Proof of the puddin' and all that.

I see that, as usual, you've included you normal amount of personal insults and disparaging remarks. Have a nice day.

Feel free to dispense with your passive aggressive, general insults in every post directed towards people with whom you disagree and you'll be treated in kind. 

The backups stepped up? Yeah, I mean, they participated in the games. But "stepped up"? Was it the UF game, when we had less than 300 yards of total offense that they stepped up? The LSU game? Please tell me about how our offense performed at a high level all season and how our consistently good offensive line play contributed to that.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal favorite is the 3.4 OL per position. Because not taking into account positions and skill sets make an argument sound so much better.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 6:37 PM, AU64 said:

There are a number of ranking services.......seemed that E or someone said Rivals was best but I don't know enough about the others to draw any conclusions.   Rivals seems to be well known and respected. 

Just noting that the ranking is based on total points....which is numbers times ranking of each player.....which can shade the ranking to schools that sign more players.   I was looking at the "quality" of the classes and some schools with fewer players also signed more 5* and 4* players. 

Regardless, I don't put too much faith in the recruiting rankings ….comparing one school to another ….but there is no doubt that the teams currently in the top 10 or 15 at the end of this season ….also raked in the most talent...and that includes Auburn. 

64, not sure if this has been answered yet, but I am pretty sure E said he uses only the 247 Composite Ranking. It takes the respected services and combines them to form the teams overall ranking. Last I saw AU was 7th. Our highest ranking was 5th from ESPN.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

64, not sure if this has been answered yet, but I am pretty sure E said he uses only the 247 Composite Ranking. It takes the respected services and combines them to form the teams overall ranking. Last I saw AU was 7th. Our highest ranking was 5th from ESPN.

Thanks....did see that at some point......but my view is that the average of a bunch of averages is probably even less accurate than any single average.  

Either way, as I opined....it is just a beauty contest and all the girls are pretty so it's a matter of opinion as to which is the prettiest.   Just laughing at any school hanging out a banner declaring themselves as national champions of "recruiting". 😁      

And that the top schools are gathering all the talent and I'd hate to be coaching at any major college team in the bottom half of it's conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....did see that at some point......but my view is that the average of a bunch of averages is probably even less accurate than any single average.

That’s not how math works 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JMO, on the GA Tech discussion in this thread. I guess it came up because of recruiting in GA and UGA only taking a few GA HS players this year. We need to get used to GA Tech getting better and better at recruiting. They have a dynamic coach now in Geoff Collins. He is impressive and impressive to kids. Ga Tech will be moving up in the Top 25 recruiting rankings annually with Collins at Head Coach. He is making GA a priority and he doesn't run the single wing offense that the old coach did. 

GA Tech will soon once again be a solid football program. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn signed 5 of the Top 15 players in GA. More signees than any other school and we have a chance at another in Jones. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge mistake for uga to let Auburn get a foothold in the state again...we get more Georgia boys on our team and their success against us will end quickly. That game will be their Iron Bowl.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

That’s not how math works 

The average of a bunch of estimates/guesses  is still an estimate/guess....and the validity depends on the spread and standard deviation....Plus...an outlier among only four numbers can affect the average and yet might be the most accurate individual number.   :dunno:   and like in a poll, there is + or - factor of accuracy.  

Whatever.....only thing that matters is who is on the field in 2020 and 2021 and how they play. . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....did see that at some point......but my view is that the average of a bunch of averages is probably even less accurate than any single average.  

Either way, as I opined....it is just a beauty contest and all the girls are pretty so it's a matter of opinion as to which is the prettiest.   Just laughing at any school hanging out a banner declaring themselves as national champions of "recruiting"😁      

And that the top schools are gathering all the talent and I'd hate to be coaching at any major college team in the bottom half of it's conference. 

Yeah. Easy to remember how much we laughed at bama claiming that in 2008. Morons. The guys that didn't redshirt only won 2 national titles! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Huge mistake for uga to let Auburn get a foothold in the state again...we get more Georgia boys on our team and their success against us will end quickly. That game will be their Iron Bowl.

PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!! I cannot take losing any more to Kirby. Especially his teams that are very very beatable like this year or just downright bad in 2016. It is about time we go grab our lead back for this series.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad we're still able to go into Georgia and come out a hand full of top players. We should be doing the same thing in Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee and get more out of Florids then what we've been doing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm glad we're still able to go into Georgia and come out a hand full of top players. We should be doing the same thing in Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee and get more out of Florids then what we've been doing..

I think our recruting strategy is on point. We recruit Alabama, Georgia, and Florida hard  with renewed emphasis on Mississippi and periodically pick up a few from other states like Texas, Tenn, Arkansas. or some other state. We are taking advantage of fertile ground that is available because the Georgia's and Alabama's go nationwide. This year we went outside for some Juco O-line and that worked well.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this