Why We Lost—According to the Defense

Potatooooooes!!

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

But LSU still put over 500 yards on him.  If not for several 4th down stops, they would have had more points with just field goals.   

I gave him a caveat for doing something no one else has. I mean they played a team that had more defensive talent than us and was better statistically, and they crushed them 37-10 with several RIDICULOUS catches going against the same man coverage we employed. He held maybe the greatest offense of all time to 23 points, regardless of the various qualifiers/conditionals that come with the narrative, he still did it. 

I think he's great, I don't think he's quite as flawless as some would lead you to believe. Clemson had one of the greatest overall defenses one could field last season, and even they realized they needed heavy zone to throw off Tua. I don't see why with our ragtag group of guys, we wouldn't be a zone PREFERRED team

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line is Gus is overly conservative and highly predictable in big games, unless it is bama.   Hence the losing record to LSU, UGA, now UF and bowl games.   He beats Ark badly and on occasion bama. (Those are his two big goals each year.)  Too stubborn to change.    Not sure a shrink could help to be honest.   Data sure doesn't mean anything to him.  

We are one step above Miss State and TAMU, that's it.  "You are what your record says you are."  And we lose 4 most years and it will be that way for quite a while. 

We’ll be lucky to lose 4 next year.  Did anyone see the defense when DB or MD were out?  This game should have taught Gus to never touch an offensive game plan again.  We pay $7M a year for a guy that adds no value to the sideline.

21 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I honestly believe that this team should have been undefeated this year and that coaching and play calling were the only things that stopped it from happening.

I respect your opinion but I saw some holes in our ol, dl on the edge, lbs, qb, and overall athletic quickness in other areas. 

Oh and some coaching issues too.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Were we the only SEC team that lost in their bowl game? Wow....smh

MooState lost and the MSU Administration has already started the wheels of change on that staff.

This is my  last comment about football till this fall, Lord willing.  I just can't UNDERSTAND the AU fan base!  Any loss soon becomes a self imploding fistfight among themselves.  Why is there no middle ground?  ( Don't you dare blame it on a man,on Gus). Have guts enough to look at yourselves!!!! 

To me---  I can listen to what is being said, or I can trust my eyes. What I saw against the Gophers, despite all the reports coming out of Tampa, was an uninspired, whipped team from the beginning.  I don't know what has occurred since the Bama win, but that was not a team who looked like they were ready to finish in style.  From the beginning, their was no fire, there was no answers when they were hit in the mouth--  just zombies.  I saw nothing on the sideline or on the field of SRS who said I am n ot GOING TO LOSE THIS GAME.  It seemed to me something occurred, something bad---  that for all the SRS did to remain and be there---- killed and this team just wanted to finish the year and get out of there.  That is what my eyes saw and that is what I believe.

I refuse to squabble and fight and diminish the individual efforts and accomplishments had by this team and these kids.  And if this shoe fits, YOU WEAR IT-- BUT NO WONDER kids want to leave AUBURN ...  i WOULD TOO... Their ability to be appreciated and given their DUE, will never happen at his school as long as ANY COACH IS THERE THIS FAN BASE DOES NOT WANT

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We lost for several reasons, but the primary reason is that we got our ass kicked in the trenches.  It's really that simple.

The weird thing is that if Tutt doesn't drop the punt and Gus doesn't completely flip the field against us with the fake punt call, I still think we win that game.

In case anyone cares, this ^^^^^^ is exactly how Gus thinks

:soapbox:

It's how many Auburn fans think.

It's the sort of thing that gets repeated all off-season to convince ourselves we were only 4 plays away from the playoffs.  That makes it easier to ignore some much uglier truths. 

It's how Gus absolves himself of the responsibility of losses because it allows him to ignore the glaring coaching issues of scheme and play design to concentrate almost entirely on play execution.  

It's what prompts mantras like "13 seconds better", except this time it will be "Keep your eye on the ball" or something.  Because if you only lost by one play, you've only got to fix that one play, right?  That one player let us down, right?    

What's funny is that Gus probably thinks he's a martyr taking heat for a loss in post-game press conferences.   He's probably congratulating himself for sticking up for his team by taking a bludgeoning for a player who clearly messed up and lost us the game on one play.  It would certainly explain why he always seems surprised when he's asked if he needs to change anything and why he hasn't really changed anything and never will.   

To makes things worse, many fans seem to just eat this crap up like beagles on sausage night.  The Auburn fan capacity for self-deception is epic in its depth, width and breadth.  It's truly amazing how deep it's sunk into our fan culture.  You should see it from a distance.  It's embarrassing.  Even when coaching is called out, there's always the "if only this one thing hadn't happened, we'd have won".  This weasley excuse is a falsehood.  Each moment in time changes the future.  If Tutt had caught that ball every single thing from that point on in the game would have been different, so nobody can say 'we would have won'.  It's self-deception and we've got to be adults about it and break ourselves of habitually using this crutch.  

This is why things really don't change for Auburn football and why we're in for at least 2 more years of football mediocrity until we find a mediocre replacement HC to give us 6 more years of mediocrity unless we "get lucky" on a good HC hire.  <-  You see that last part there?  The 'get lucky' part?  That's how a lot of people think and its 100% pure manure.  Exceptional people and exceptional organizations don't do 'luck'.  They work hard and smart.  

WAKE THE F--- UP AUBURN!

I look forward to reading the scathing responses from fans who never attended a single class on campus and who never contributed a dime to the school telling me (who checks both those boxes) that I'm not a true Auburn fan.    :-\

AURealist, you are 100% correct. 

It honestly reminds me of the bammer fans when they had Shula making constant excuses and glossing over the deficiencies to make them feel better.

I'm tired of the woulda/shoulda/coulda and all the "if's/buts" because its a crutch used by fans that have tricked themselves into believing this staff has what it takes to get this program in consistent championship contention.  Making excuses and pointing out that Auburn is as close as 4 plays and they'd be in the CFP is a coping mechanism for people that don't want to face the facts that this top 5 paid staff ain't getting it done.

37 minutes ago, AURealist said:

In case anyone cares, this ^^^^^^ is exactly how Gus thinks

:soapbox:

It's how many Auburn fans think.

It's the sort of thing that gets repeated all off-season to convince ourselves we were only 4 plays away from the playoffs.  That makes it easier to ignore some much uglier truths. 

It's how Gus absolves himself of the responsibility of losses because it allows him to ignore the glaring coaching issues of scheme and play design to concentrate almost entirely on play execution.  

It's what prompts mantras like "13 seconds better", except this time it will be "Keep your eye on the ball" or something.  Because if you only lost by one play, you've only got to fix that one play, right?  That one player let us down, right?    

What's funny is that Gus probably thinks he's a martyr taking heat for a loss in post-game press conferences.   He's probably congratulating himself for sticking up for his team by taking a bludgeoning for a player who clearly messed up and lost us the game on one play.  It would certainly explain why he always seems surprised when he's asked if he needs to change anything and why he hasn't really changed anything and never will.   

To makes things worse, many fans seem to just eat this crap up like beagles on sausage night.  The Auburn fan capacity for self-deception is epic in its depth, width and breadth.  It's truly amazing how deep it's sunk into our fan culture.  You should see it from a distance.  It's embarrassing.  Even when coaching is called out, there's always the "if only this one thing hadn't happened, we'd have won".  This weasley excuse is a falsehood.  Each moment in time changes the future.  If Tutt had caught that ball every single thing from that point on in the game would have been different, so nobody can say 'we would have won'.  It's self-deception and we've got to be adults about it and break ourselves of habitually using this crutch.  

This is why things really don't change for Auburn football and why we're in for at least 2 more years of football mediocrity until we find a mediocre replacement HC to give us 6 more years of mediocrity unless we "get lucky" on a good HC hire.  <-  You see that last part there?  The 'get lucky' part?  That's how a lot of people think and its 100% pure manure.  Exceptional people and exceptional organizations don't do 'luck'.  They work hard and smart.  

WAKE THE F--- UP AUBURN!

I look forward to reading the scathing responses from fans who never attended a single class on campus and who never contributed a dime to the school telling me (who checks both those boxes) that I'm not a true Auburn fan.    :-\

You apparently just chose to disregard the opening sentence of my post.  Not to mention that part of what you bolded called out Gus for a stupid decision.   Well done.

1 hour ago, lost said:

This is my  last comment about football till this fall, Lord willing.  I just can't UNDERSTAND the AU fan base!  Any loss soon becomes a self imploding fistfight among themselves.  Why is there no middle ground?  ( Don't you dare blame it on a man,on Gus). Have guts enough to look at yourselves!!!! 

To me---  I can listen to what is being said, or I can trust my eyes. What I saw against the Gophers, despite all the reports coming out of Tampa, was an uninspired, whipped team from the beginning.  I don't know what has occurred since the Bama win, but that was not a team who looked like they were ready to finish in style.  From the beginning, their was no fire, there was no answers when they were hit in the mouth--  just zombies.  I saw nothing on the sideline or on the field of SRS who said I am n ot GOING TO LOSE THIS GAME.  It seemed to me something occurred, something bad---  that for all the SRS did to remain and be there---- killed and this team just wanted to finish the year and get out of there.  That is what my eyes saw and that is what I believe.

I refuse to squabble and fight and diminish the individual efforts and accomplishments had by this team and these kids.  And if this shoe fits, YOU WEAR IT-- BUT NO WONDER kids want to leave AUBURN ...  i WOULD TOO... Their ability to be appreciated and given their DUE, will never happen at his school as long as ANY COACH IS THERE THIS FAN BASE DOES NOT WANT

That's a lot of finger pointing and insult for somebody who refuses to squabble and fight. 

Guts? Jesus. Get a grip.

Enjoy your summer. See you in the fall. Don't let the door hit ya. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

MooState lost and the MSU Administration has already started the wheels of change on that staff.

So us and MSU? Great company to be in lol

42 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You apparently just chose to disregard the opening sentence of my post.  Not to mention that part of what you bolded called out Gus for a stupid decision.   Well done.

To be fair, Gus didn't support Tutt making those risky catches.  I remember Gus getting onto Tutt when he fumbled another one of those tough catches when he should have let it go earlier in the season.  I forget which game but I am sure I can find it if you would like me to.

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

I will have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.  I know you mentioned you attended Auburn as well (for some reason I want to say I remember seeing we were there at the same time somewhere).  Since you did, you should know that is not the case.  It isn't that we are okay with mediocrity or turning a blind eye.  It is that we view Auburn as more than a sports program.  It has everything to do with Dye's famous quote "Auburn fans love Auburn."  It sucked that we lost on New Years Day.  But I got over it pretty quick.  Why?  Well Auburn simply isn't defined to me by on the field success.  It is defined in how the University shaped my whole life.  We win a National Championship?  Awesome!  We go to the Final Four?  Unbelievable.  We have a losing season?  Maybe it is time for a change, maybe there are other circumstances and it isn't so black and white.  It is not apathy.  It is just the understanding that Auburn is more than sports, and won't define my week being made or ruined.

55 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I didn't disregard it.   Most posts of the type begin with spreading blame.  Any post that states something like "if only for (--insert critical play here--), I think we win it"  is the type of post and  thinking I'm talking about.   

I apologize for pointing out a part of your post in particular.  It was just a handy example.  No insult was intended.

I believe that such thinking as I've stated it is flawed and counterproductive.  Not just in football, but life in general.

I realize folks are going to disagree.  I happily accept that you do or that you don't think you're post is indicative of what I'm expressing. 

1 hour ago, lost said:

There is not one Auburn football player that comes from practice, checks a message board and thinks to himself, “Golly, these guys are so negative. I’m just going to transfer to another school.” Besides that, the reason people are so pissed at Gus is BECAUSE of our love for the players. They deserve so much more than the incompetent crap show we see year after year. They deserve a coach that can coach them up, put them in positions to succeed, and bring out the best in them, not watch befuddled as they regress or watch them waste away on the sidelines. We’re pissed at Gus because we love the Auburn brand and our players, and he refuses to adapt so we can be our best, instead offering half-hearted excuses or “give ‘em credits” when we lose, like it shouldn’t be a surprise! I can’t believe people still can’t see this. Every game is another wasted opportunity and another notch in the evidence column of why Gus needs to go. For crying out loud, love Auburn enough to want more than the product you’re treated to every Saturday. There’s your middle ground

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

To be fair, Gus didn't support Tutt making those risky catches.  I remember Gus getting onto Tutt when he fumbled another one of those tough catches when he should have let it go earlier in the season.  I forget which game but I am sure I can find it if you would like me to.

I will have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.  I know you mentioned you attended Auburn as well (for some reason I want to say I remember seeing we were there at the same time somewhere).  Since you did, you should know that is not the case.  It isn't that we are okay with mediocrity or turning a blind eye.  It is that we view Auburn as more than a sports program.  It has everything to do with Dye's famous quote "Auburn fans love Auburn."  It sucked that we lost on New Years Day.  But I got over it pretty quick.  Why?  Well Auburn simply isn't defined to me by on the field success.  It is defined in how the University shaped my whole life.  We win a National Championship?  Awesome!  We go to the Final Four?  Unbelievable.  We have a losing season?  Maybe it is time for a change, maybe there are other circumstances and it isn't so black and white.  It is not apathy.  It is just the understanding that Auburn is more than sports, and won't define my week being made or ruined.

'81-'85

Casual acceptance of the program, the players and coaches win or lose is a choice many make and I am absolutely perfectly fine with that.  I honestly think you've misinterpreted the message of my post.  I pretty much agree with your post.  I just don't see how it's a response to mine.  

7 minutes ago, AURealist said:

'81-'85

Casual acceptance of the program, the players and coaches win or lose is a choice many make and I am absolutely perfectly fine with that.  I honestly think you've misinterpreted the message of my post.  I pretty much agree with your post.  I just don't see how it's a response to mine.  

I could have very well have misinterpreted it and my apologies if I did do so.  I have seen a few times on here when people blame our fanbase with being so complacent with mediocrity where it is frustrating.  You really have to live in Auburn for a semester to truly understand the mindset of the Auburn Family.  That sports is not what defines the University and I am sure you can agree with this sentiment.  And I was definitely off on us attending at the same time!  :slapfh:  I graduated in 2013.

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I could have very well have misinterpreted it and my apologies if I did do so.  I have seen a few times on here when people blame our fanbase with being so complacent with mediocrity where it is frustrating.  You really have to live in Auburn for a semester to truly understand the mindset of the Auburn Family.  That sports is not what defines the University and I am sure you can agree with this sentiment.  And I was definitely off on us attending at the same time!  :slapfh:  I graduated in 2013.

Heh.  You're just a pup!

I know they still feel the love in Auburn.  Got family attending right now.  

Sports should never define a school.  But the sports programs should reflect it.  I respect a dedication to excellence.  That's what we've got in Bruce Pearl.  It's not what's happening with our football team and I'm just tired of people making excuses while pretending otherwise.  

17 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I didn't disregard it.   Most posts of the type begin with spreading blame.  Any post that states something like "if only for (--insert critical play here--), I think we win it"  is the type of post and  thinking I'm talking about.   

I apologize for pointing out a part of your post in particular.  It was just a handy example.  No insult was intended.

I believe that such thinking as I've stated it is flawed and counterproductive.  Not just in football, but life in general.

I realize folks are going to disagree.  I happily accept that you do or that you don't think you're post is indicative of what I'm expressing. 

I think your view is too narrow.  One can certainly say that we got our ass kicked all along the lines and still say "ya know, we were two idiotic mistakes from winning".  It doesn't mean that the person is accepting of the situation or making excuses.

An objective view of the game would take that Tutt punt into consideration.  Assuming he doesn't muff, there's a good shot we go up 10-14 points.  Our defense also stays off the field.  Instead he did muff it and UM scored to tie it, changing the entire game.  It's not an excuse by any measure.  Tutt muffed it and UM capitalized.

To me its similar to the view I have of the Iron Bowl.  I'm not sure the better team won that day.  However, we took advantage of Bama mistakes and got the narrow win.  Those two pick sixes aren't excuses for Bama fans.  Just objective reality that they completely turned the game.

11 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Heh.  You're just a pup!  I have been told a few times due to how I write people think I am 40 years old.  Mainly it is just because I had to start writing this way when I started my own practice to be taken seriously.  And when it was purchased, the partners I now work with are all at least 20 years older than me.  Even my assistant is older which is still odd for me but she doesn't mind.  So now I have a 50-year old mindset!

I know they still feel the love in Auburn.  Got family attending right now.  I hope one day I can say the same thing!

Sports should never define a school.  But the program should reflect it.  I can understand that.  I respect a dedication to excellence.  That's what we've got in Bruce Pearl.  I love Pearl.  I just hate his program is under the FBI investigation which other fanbases will continue to downgrade our success because of it.  It's not what's happening with our football team and I'm just tired of people making excuses while pretending otherwise.  It isn't that we are not shooting for excellence.  And in a way admire the reflection the program has of being clean and no-nonsense.  I know a few other Auburn programs have some black eyes with the FBI investigation in basketball, and the Meyers with softball though and I hope that is one thing they can learn from Malzahn if they ever learn anything from him.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I think your view is too narrow.  One can certainly say that we got our ass kicked all along the lines and still say "ya know, we were two idiotic mistakes from winning".  It doesn't mean that the person is accepting of the situation or making excuses.

An objective view of the game would take that Tutt punt into consideration.  Assuming he doesn't muff, there's a good shot we go up 10-14 points.  Our defense also stays off the field.  Instead he did muff it and UM scored to tie it, changing the entire game.  It's not an excuse by any measure.  Tutt muffed it and UM capitalized.

To me its similar to the view I have of the Iron Bowl.  I'm not sure the better team won that day.  However, we took advantage of Bama mistakes and got the narrow win.  Those two pick sixes aren't excuses for Bama fans.  Just objective reality that they completely turned the game.

No.  This is the magical thinking of a child.   

The IB pick sixes concretely put 12 points on the board. 

Your entire story that begins with "Assuming", includes "there's a good shot" and magically puts 14 pts on the board is the epitome of self-serving sophistry. 

Thank you for being the perfect example to illustrate my original point.  

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

There is not one Auburn football player that comes from practice, checks a message board and thinks to himself, “Golly, these guys are so negative. I’m just going to transfer to another school.” Besides that, the reason people are so pissed at Gus is BECAUSE of our love for the players. They deserve so much more than the incompetent crap show we see year after year. They deserve a coach that can coach them up, put them in positions to succeed, and bring out the best in them, not watch befuddled as they regress or watch them waste away on the sidelines. We’re pissed at Gus because we love the Auburn brand and our players, and he refuses to adapt so we can be our best, instead offering half-hearted excuses or “give ‘em credits” when we lose, like it shouldn’t be a surprise! I can’t believe people still can’t see this. Every game is another wasted opportunity and another notch in the evidence column of why Gus needs to go. For crying out loud, love Auburn enough to want more than the product you’re treated to every Saturday. There’s your middle ground

Yes. As well, no one can directly assume to interpret the facial expressions nor their cause we witnessed on Wednesday. It just as easily could have been frustration at the blindsidedness when "feeling" prepped. When graduating hs seniors get to college, they see firsthand which high schools prepped them best to succeed as compared to incoming peers. When student athletes get to bowl games, they can see the same thing. The dawning of truth will create those facial expressions and halfhearted performance, too. And at the end of the season you don't have to keep the pep rally going. You can be yourself and breathe a sad sigh of relief as you look to new chapters. 

That sounds Eeyore, for sure. But it's just as plausible an interpretation of those faces as anything...especially if you want to move to the next level and the reality of your dreams making or breaking is now here.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Heh.  You're just a pup!  I have been told a few times due to how I write people think I am 40 years old.  Mainly it is just because I had to start writing this way when I started my own practice to be taken seriously.  And when it was purchased, the partners I now work with are all at least 20 years older than me.  Even my assistant is older which is still odd for me but she doesn't mind.  So now I have a 50-year old mindset!

I know they still feel the love in Auburn.  Got family attending right now.  I hope one day I can say the same thing!

Sports should never define a school.  But the program should reflect it.  I can understand that.  I respect a dedication to excellence.  That's what we've got in Bruce Pearl.  I love Pearl.  I just hate his program is under the FBI investigation which other fanbases will continue to downgrade our success because of it.  It's not what's happening with our football team and I'm just tired of people making excuses while pretending otherwise.  It isn't that we are not shooting for excellence.  And in a way admire the reflection the program has of being clean and no-nonsense.  I know a few other Auburn programs have some black eyes with the FBI investigation in basketball, and the Meyers with softball though and I hope that is one thing they can learn from Malzahn if they ever learn anything from him.

Yes.  Gus is clean and that's excellence in one area of that program.  It's far better than being a dirty winner.  I just want people to stop fooling themselves about other aspects of the program - especially the level of our on-the-field-prowess - and promoting belief in implausible alternate reality scenarios to do it.   

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

No.  This is the magical thinking of a child.   

The IB pick sixes concretely put 12 points on the board. 

Your entire story that begins with "Assuming", includes "there's a good shot" and magically puts 14 pts on the board is the epitome of self-serving sophistry. 

Thank you for being the perfect example to illustrate my original point.  

You really need to understand bigger pictures and nuance.  Just because you can point to a few things doesn't mean there's excuses or magical thinking.  We all know and saw what happened.

To the Iron Bowl, we were outgained by 161 yards.  Statistically speaking, we got whipped.  Two plays changed the game.  Take even one off the board and we lose.  Hell, let their kicker make a 30 yd FG and we potentially lose.  Perspective matters when looking at all games.

And fine, let's say we don't score if Tutt fields the punt cleanly and we go 3 & out.  10-3 AU with Minnesota having the ball in their own territory is very different than setting them up with a short field.

You seem to think I'm in here making excuses.  I'm not.  We got our asses handed to us in Tampa.  I also desperately want a change at HC.  But it doesn't take away from the fact that we were a couple of weird plays away from potentially winning that game despite our performance.

Archived