Bruce Pearl is the GOAT! (Merged)

tgrogan21

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well, David Marsh has 10 NCAA championships in swimming and diving. (seven men's, three women's) plus a double-digit number of consecutive SEC championships. I suppose GOAT would depend on what perimeters were set. No, I'm no selling Pearl's accomplishment short but what Marsh did shouldn't be overlooked either.

IDK how bad swimming was before him but BP turned what was literally one of the worst handful of basketball programs in D1 into at worst a top 25 one. 

And IDK the competition in swimming, but the old guard in basketball...is pretty dominant. This isnt a sport that enjoys much parity in the way of random guys becoming sustainable powers

Yeah, considering where AU basketball was for several years before Bruce, to now having the 2 best years in program history, and this year taking a depleted roster and significantly overachieving with them, I would already say he’s the best BB coach in AU history!   A couple of years from now he should settle that discussion beyond any doubt.   
As for all sports, I think it’s too much of an apples to oranges comparison to say with any certainty.   

I think it, along with the others of the 2 preceding seasons, are the perfect storm of overlooked players, a budding basketball atmosphere and a master class salesman who himself was seeking to prove something 

I believe this year ends this chapter in the story of Auburn ball, and for better or for worse, I’d say just enjoy it. Ofc you CAN still spin it to say Auburn will be overlooked, and that they should have this chip, but with a possible top 5 recruiting class and wanting to shove out high 3 stars to make room for higher 4 stars....welp 

My idea to commemorate this era is a statue of Jared and Bryce

From AL.com's rewind of the win over UT:

Auburn (23-4, 10-4 SEC) set a new program record for regular-season wins, eclipsing the mark set by last year’s Final Four team.

Bruce Pearl has come to Auburn and with the players he has recruited made the Auburn Arena arguably the best venue with the best home court advantage in college basketball.

WDE!

Replying to my own post here, but I just gotta say that I truly did not expect this kind of record from our AU Tigers men's basketball team this year. After the draft and graduation losses I really thought we'd be middle of the pack at best, sort of back to the (not that good) AU of old. It really is a testament to this team and the coaches that in a "rebuilding year" they have set the record for wins in a regular season, and they ain't done yet!

WDE!

@CleCoTiger Not a record. The 98-99 team began the year 25-1 & 13-1 on the way to 26-2 & 14-2 respectively in the regular season. It would be like al.com to forget the 98-99 season ever happened.

• ellitor changed the title to There will be future AU basketball teams (Merged)

Since 23 wins is not an AU regular season record for most wins I merged that thread with the other thread appreciating the work of this team.

• ellitor changed the title to Bruce Pearl is the GOAT! (Merged)
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@CleCoTiger Not a record. The 98-99 team began the year 25-1 & 13-1 on the way to 26-2 & 14-2 respectively in the regular season. It would be like al.com to forget the 98-99 season ever happened.

You would think a simple fact check would get it right for AL.com. How can they be so lax?

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well, that's what I get for depending on AL.com. LoL's! :) 

• 1 month later...

• ellitor changed the title to Coach Pearl on JOOX
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing.  That's my coach! I have never been more happy to have a coach like Bruce. He is the Auburn culture: he is the Auburn family. Lets win some championships next year.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure where to post this but figured this was the best thread. Auburn is #11 over the last 3 years. Absolutely insane. 

Archived