Prohibition is almost over

McLoofus

4 minutes ago, AURex said:

No, I quit going to games -- thus lost revenue by Auburn. I still contribute to Auburn every year.

Oh, then they're still getting the money they need. Somebody else bought the tickets and concessions you would have. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Amen.

I'd hope that it wouldn't lead to more plastic cups exiting the stadium, but I suppose that's very possible. Trash in the stands... that's an interesting thought. I imagine that people will continue to deal with their trash- or not- as they always have, but maybe there will be more trash? 

I think you're right about that and @creed has a good point. People leaving their trash is a people problem, not necessarily a drinking problem. 

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ive attended a lot of college games on the left coast who did sell alcohol during games. 

It was a disaster there and until proven otherwise i feel it will be a disaster here. 

Hey that's just, like, speculation, man. :poke:

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Hey that's just, like, speculation, man. :poke:

Or possibly just wrong. Everything I've seen said that alcohol-related incidents at stadiums that recently went wet have gone down. And the fact that the number of wet stadiums doubled in the last year or two certainly doesn't suggest that it's "disasters" being modeled. I'm curious what's been disastrous about it. 

Here's how I see it. The value of providing alcohol on game days will be measured by the consumer. The right product that engages the customer to participate in stadium alcohol consumption will generate $'s for the university, vendors, insurance companies, security and cleaning services. It all depends on the right product for the customer.

Tuscaloosa = PBR, Schlitz or Boones Farm for the ladies

Auburn =  Heineken, Sam Adams or a nice Cali Chardonnay for the ladies

LOL...

Just to add. If the consumer doesn't participate, then in stadium alcohol sales will probably be eliminated from the game day experience.

1 minute ago, creed said:

Here's how I see it. The value of providing alcohol on game days will be measured by the consumer. The right product that engages the customer to participate in stadium alcohol consumption will generate $'s for the university, vendors, insurance companies, security and cleaning services. It all depends on the right product for the customer.

Tuscaloosa = PBR, Schlitz or Boones Farm for the ladies

Auburn =  Heineken, Sam Adams or a nice Cali Chardonnay for the ladies

LOL...

Hands-down best post in this thread. Business up front, party in the back. Take a bow! *applause*

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

I think you're right about that and @creed has a good point. People leaving their trash is a people problem, not necessarily a drinking problem. 

...or, it's job security for custodial engineers...

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Actually that's what Updike's punishment should be. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure about that, but I hate walking  through campus after game and feel like I've entered a slum in Mumbai.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, then they're still getting the money they need. Somebody else bought the tickets and concessions you would have. 

Nope. My contributions every year go to the dept that I earned my degree in, not athletics. All my contributions to Auburn go to academics. I enjoy Auburn sports, I participated in Auburn athletics myself back in the day, but my life success was due entirely to Auburn academics and that's where my money goes. Sorry, but I don't contribute to Auburn athletics anymore. [However, I'm currently inclined to start giving to the Equestrian team. I used to give to swimming. Not any more. But the horse girls .... I'm definitely impressed and they need the money.]

8 hours ago, AURex said:

Nope. My contributions every year go to the dept that I earned my degree in, not athletics. All my contributions to Auburn go to academics. I enjoy Auburn sports, I participated in Auburn athletics myself back in the day, but my life success was due entirely to Auburn academics and that's where my money goes. Sorry, but I don't contribute to Auburn athletics anymore. [However, I'm currently inclined to start giving to the Equestrian team. I used to give to swimming. Not any more. But the horse girls .... I'm definitely impressed and they need the money.]

Cool. Point stands. Sounds like everyone came out ok in the end.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:46 PM, CCTAU said:

80,000+...

So you'll need more concession stands than at a smaller sporting event?  I think the logistics are already worked out for that.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah there’s some pretty good data to support that binge drinking and incidents go down when beverages are served, so I’m not against the idea, per se...I just think the issue is more nuanced than a simple yes/no situation.  Remember that my viewpoint is colored from a medical perspective, so I can’t help but to be a bit apprehensive about football venues serving drinks. 

In environments like the arena or baseball with lower crowds, it can be controlled a bit better. 80k+ many of which are underage seems to be inviting trouble. I would think we would try it in scholarship seating or somewhere more controlled first.

I don’t think the general public has any idea how many pts our local hospital sees for alcohol related events (intox and trauma etc) during a football weekend. Also, I think most people underestimate how much chronic alcoholism and people absolutely destroying their lives with alcohol that I see on a daily basis. That said, I’m not trying to advocate NO alcohol, I just hope that there’s a reasonable approach. In JHS it’s just going to be a much larger issue than the smaller venues.

Finally, I’m interested to see a lawyer sue the University when a client is over served by the stadium or an underage student gets served, etc. I think it’s an invitation for trouble in many cases.

it makes perfect sense financially tho and makes for a more interesting game. I’m gonna have to petition for nice mixed red to be served.

It seems like the contract could be written to shift most of the legal liability to the vendor, but I'm not a lawyer.  Either way, I'm of the mindset that there will be very little binge drinking of $10-$12 beers when you can only grab 1-2 at a time and the queue is long the entire time they're serving. 

Cut it off after the 3rd quarter ends, have a system in place for ID verification, don't sell to obviously schnockered individuals.  I'm sure there are a ton of other reasonable barriers that can be put in place to limit abuse of they system.  This is not a new issue, concerts and sporting events far larger than a game at JHS have managed to make it work.

As to underaged drinking in the student section:  those kids are still gonna sneak their booze in, same as every generation before them.

I am not worried about the fights, puking etc.  My only issue is what happens when a fan, after being served by the school, gets into a drunk driving accident and kills some folks.  Who will be held responsible?  The driver will pay with jail time,  but the deep pocket target will be the school.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am not worried about the fights, puking etc.  My only issue is what happens when a fan, after being served by the school, gets into a drunk driving accident and kills some folks.  Who will be held responsible?  The driver will pay with jail time,  but the deep pocket target will be the school.

Plenty of ways to limit liability. I'm sure the vendors are independent contractors.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am not sure how Alabama’s dram shop laws are written, but the person who committed the crime would have had to shown signs of obvious intoxication while purchasing the beer.  The plaintiff would have to prove that this was the case as well that they only consumed beer at the stadium.  Further at this time Auburn contracts out concessions.  It would be mind numbingly stupid to not have within the contract full liability by the vending company and it’s employees.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe we can add alcohol to the fan shirt color scheme each week: 

White out: Beer

Blue shirt: Whiskey

Orange shirt: Tequila

Lets go all in and make it interesting. 🥃🍸🍺🍹

what about smoking stations for potheads? lol i wonder how many fans might take an edible before a game........

i just realized i never went to an auburn game in auburn without drinking. my mom used to smuggle in miniatures and we would have one drink per quarter and my poor old man had to be designated driver. the only time i was super drunk was with a friend. once after a game i bounced down about twelve rows before stopping.it must have been alarming at the time because several fans came to see if i was ok. i was. i also learned never again........

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I am not sure how Alabama’s dram shop laws are written, but the person who committed the crime would have had to shown signs of obvious intoxication while purchasing the beer.  The plaintiff would have to prove that this was the case as well that they only consumed beer at the stadium.  Further at this time Auburn contracts out concessions.  It would be mind numbingly stupid to not have within the contract full liability by the vending company and it’s employees.

hey man you ever get to catch many games live living in whiskey?

On 2/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, McLoofus said:

Okay, so if I'm ever at an event where they're serving Spotted Cow, I might become a liability. I do have to be honest about that.

Had my first Spotted Cow a few weeks ago - wish they sold it in Alabama.  

You know I went to an Eagles concert recently at State Farm Arena in Atlanta. The crowd was a mixture of 20, 30, 40, 50 somethings

and of course, geezers like myself. Many patrons of all ages were drinking concession beers, I am guessing at least twenty ounce

or larger, not really sure since I am not a beer drinker. Of course with all of the drinking, there were the required trips to facilities

which meant unseating those of us between their seat and the exit isle for numerous egress and ingress junkets. While this was irritating, the

most annoying thing I observed was people, apparently under the influence, acting like idiots. I admit we haven't been to a concert

in a long time, but one lesson I came away with is this, "If you are an older person, and you are drinking at an event, you had better

be able to hold your liquor, or you will appear a fool to all around you". I saw lots of fools that night. I feel reasonably sure the same thing

will occur at AU sporting events.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

All I know is the world is lawsuit crazy.  especially when talking about pockets as deep as a major university.   It is just a matter of time,  contracts or not.  

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Plenty of ways to limit liability. I'm sure the vendors are independent contractors.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

So when it is on university grounds, the university can still be held liable.  And you can sue anyone and if someone is looking for a lawsuit they will go for the big pockets.  This happens all of the time with one one my clients in the trucking industry.  There is a car wreck and one of their trucks drives by with their name on the side of the truck and 5 days later they are pulled into the lawsuit.  To give another example, if a customer at a bar gets into a wreck while intoxicated, they sue the bar, not the bartender.

The frustrating part is usually the insurance companies protecting the defendants usually just settle and payout, even if the defendant is innocent.  In their eyes it isn't worth the legal fees.  So then, the defendant get a black eye as everyone assumes they were guilty and that is why they settled.

This is part of my job, is to create LLC's and partnerships to protect the family that owns the business and the business itself.  So if you sue, you don't actually sue Auburn itself, it is the LLC in front.

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

So when it is on university grounds, the university can still be held liable.  And you can sue anyone and if someone is looking for a lawsuit they will go for the big pockets.  This happens all of the time with one one my clients in the trucking industry.  There is a car wreck and one of their trucks drives by with their name on the side of the truck and 5 days later they are pulled into the lawsuit.  To give another example, if a customer at a bar gets into a wreck while intoxicated, they sue the bar, not the bartender.

The frustrating part is usually the insurance companies protecting the defendants usually just settle and payout, even if the defendant is innocent.  In their eyes it isn't worth the legal fees.  So then, the defendant get a black eye as everyone assumes they were guilty and that is why they settled.

This is part of my job, is to create LLC's and partnerships to protect the family that owns the business and the business itself.  So if you sue, you don't actually sue Auburn itself, it is the LLC in front.

FWIW you are talking about totally different theories of liability than what would apply here. 

Very easy to hold a principal liable for the actions of its agent when they are working within the scope of their employment - like a bartender or a truck driver.  

On the other hand it is very difficult to hold a general contractor liable for the actions of a subcontractor. 

34 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

FWIW you are talking about totally different theories of liability than what would apply here. 

Very easy to hold a principal liable for the actions of its agent when they are working within the scope of their employment - like a bartender or a truck driver.  

On the other hand it is very difficult to hold a general contractor liable for the actions of a subcontractor. 

Sort of.  They can still come after the contractor.  For the trucking example, the drivers are not employees of the company.  The are subcontractors.  You can sue anyone for any reason at any time.  And in Auburn’s case, it would be easy to make the connection on compass with Auburn’s name plastered everywhere.  

Archived