What is everyone experiencing real life vrs media?

SaturdayGT

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And don't for get this one either, where he's ALREADY in the car.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/31/george-floyd-police-car-video-vpx.cnn

The first video showed nothing but a routine arrest. This second one shows nothing other than something unusual appears to be going on inside the car. We can't see what that might be. As noted just above, the reason why he was removed from the car is important.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2020 at 8:15 AM, Mikey said:

The first video showed nothing but a routine arrest. This second one shows nothing other than something unusual appears to be going on inside the car. We can't see what that might be. As noted just above, the reason why he was removed from the car is important.

My interest is not why he was pulled from the car, but rather why this officer had his knee on his neck. I want to see the video that substantiates this death move. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

My interest is not why he was pulled from the car, but rather why this officer had his knee on his neck. I want to see the video that substantiates this death move. 

There is nothing to substantiate that in my opinion. But you can bet your ass the defense attorney will do a damn remarkable job of trying. My assumption is that Floyd was flipping out in the car. Seems like he even mentioned claustrophobia and said he couldn’t breathe before he was put in the car. They will claim and may prove that they took him out to calm him down while waiting for medical attention. I would never be surprised to see videos showing Chauvin or other officers using the knee to the neck to sedate other impaired suspects that didn’t die. I also believe most jurors will have made their mind up before being chosen. I don’t think it’s going to be enough to overcome the evils of the video and audio. ( I don’t even want to see it again)But this will all be interesting. The defense has nothing to gain by saying anything publicly now.  That doesn’t mean they don’t have a strategy. 

18 minutes ago, alexava said:

There is nothing to substantiate that in my opinion. But you can bet your ass the defense attorney will do a damn remarkable job of trying. My assumption is that Floyd was flipping out in the car. Seems like he even mentioned claustrophobia and said he couldn’t breathe before he was put in the car. They will claim and may prove that they took him out to calm him down while waiting for medical attention. I would never be surprised to see videos showing Chauvin or other officers using the knee to the neck to sedate other impaired suspects that didn’t die. I also believe most jurors will have made their mind up before being chosen. I don’t think it’s going to be enough to overcome the evils of the video and audio. ( I don’t even want to see it again)But this will all be interesting. The defense has nothing to gain by saying anything publicly now.  That doesn’t mean they don’t have a strategy. 

I read this several weeks back and this seems like it is the proper place to put it to address what the possible defense strategy may be 

https://medium.com/@gavrilodavid/why-derek-chauvin-may-get-off-his-murder-charge-2e2ad8d0911

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I read this several weeks back and this seems like it is the proper place to put it to address what the possible defense strategy may be 

https://medium.com/@gavrilodavid/why-derek-chauvin-may-get-off-his-murder-charge-2e2ad8d0911

Appreciate the detailed analysis. I also appreciate your service. (if I recall you are an LEO)

I still find this death disturbing. Admittedly, I find myself dismissing the facts you submit based on my gut, maybe bias. Just like the Atlanta shooting, I don't understand the force applied. I just don't.

If I'm on that jury today, he (Chauvin) is guilty. 

Having said that, I am aware that all facts have not been presented. I'm not dismissing more facts may come forward that change my mind. Like the Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Nick Sandman, Jussie Smollett cases, I understand facts matter and are not always presented by our esteemed media.

As of today, I stand pat. Guilty.

I’ve said all along they made a mistake by overcharging them in Minnesota. I want Chauvin guilty. If they shoot for murder 1 , an unbiased jury will acquit. But the jury will be biased one way or the other. 
      Charges will be dropped in Atlanta. 

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I still find this death disturbing. Admittedly, I find myself dismissing the facts you submit based on my gut, maybe bias. Just like the Atlanta shooting, I don't understand the force applied. I just don't.

If I'm on that jury today, he (Chauvin) is guilty. 

Which makes the situation maddeningly difficult. The question is, if everything laid out in the article is true, what is he guilty of? If he followed training, policy, and protocol, that’s supposed to be his “safety net” and has done everything right. If he went outside of policy and something still went horribly wrong, then the MPD and city would tell him he broke policy and he’s own-his-own and should’ve followed said policy. What do you do? As far as the Brooks shooting, based on our policy, if a person manages to take your taser from you that is a situation in which you are authorized to use deadly force. It doesn’t mean you ALWAYS SHOULD. It does mean it is a situation in which it can be justified and that’s how we train/are trained. 

I hope, probably against hope, that optics and emotions don’t rule the day. Justice for all involved, victims, victims of cowboy cops, criminal defendants, can’t receive true justice if the outcome is based solely in emotion. 

10 hours ago, alexava said:

I’ve said all along they made a mistake by overcharging them in Minnesota. I want Chauvin guilty. If they shoot for murder 1 , an unbiased jury will acquit. But the jury will be biased one way or the other. 
      Charges will be dropped in Atlanta. 

Chauvin deserves murder 1. 

Agreed about ATL. We've seen it too many times. And they're often wrong to acquit (George Zimmerman) but they won't be this time. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I understand based on the video alone you may have that sentiment. However, based on the article I posted , if all of it is true, I’m not sure how he could be charged with anything above some sort of reckless behavior charge. 1st degree murder would require proving mens rea and malice a forethought. I’m not trying to justify anything that happened, I’m saying that the scope of the entire situation may not be as clear as it seemed. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed about ATL. We've seen it too many times. And they're often wrong to acquit (George Zimmerman) but they won't be this time. 

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same situation. I was referring to Garrett Rolfe. The father and son who were charged for killing Arbery is different. Son will be charged father to a lesser degree. 
     As far as murder 1. Deserving murder 1 and being able to get a conviction are two very different things. ( hence Zimmerman)

14 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I understand based on the video alone you may have that sentiment. However, based on the article I posted , if all of it is true, I’m not sure how he could be charged with anything above some sort of reckless behavior charge. 1st degree murder would require proving mens rea and malice a forethought. I’m not trying to justify anything that happened, I’m saying that the scope of the entire situation may not be as clear as it seemed. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same situation. I was referring to Garrett Rolfe. The father and son who were charged for killing Arbery is different. Son will be charged father to a lesser degree. 
     As far as murder 1. Deserving murder 1 and being able to get a conviction are two very different things. ( hence Zimmerman)

Gotta be honest. I just saw "Chauvin" and "murder 1" and said "Chauvin deserves murder 1". Y'all are having a nuanced and intelligent discussion. I'm not even trying to be either of those things. Pure emotion. Sorry for sidetracking. 

Archived