What is everyone experiencing real life vrs media?

SaturdayGT

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

He didn't lose his life over a counterfeit $20 bill. He lost his life while resisting arrest. A life ended too soon is sad, but we should at least have accurate knowledge of what caused that loss. In this case it was because of resisting arrest while under the influence of three different illegal drugs. Toss a sadistic police officer into that mix and there ya' go.

Without the sadistic officer supported by 3 indifferent at best officers, he’s still alive, so you’re focus is off. Wonder why?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Mikey said:

He didn't lose his life over a counterfeit $20 bill. He lost his life while resisting arrest. A life ended too soon is sad, but we should at least have accurate knowledge of what caused that loss. In this case it was because of resisting arrest while under the influence of three different illegal drugs. Toss a sadistic police officer into that mix and there ya' go.

Yeah, these people have just forgotten how to be adequately subservient, huh Mikey?

Couldn't possibly be overly aggressive police tactics.

Was he "resisting arrest" for the last whole 8 minutes and 46 seconds??

I haven't seen anything like the media portrayal reflected in current real life interactions.  I've seen race relations in general get much better as a whole in my lifetime thankfully.  It was pretty tense in the 70's where I was growing up.

Social media and 24-7 access to just about everything, coupled with hundreds of millions more people has made the landscape more difficult to navigate.  The rise in mob mentality and lack of individual accountability has me concerned.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, these people have just forgotten how to be adequately subservient, huh Mikey?

Couldn't possibly be overly aggressive police tactics.

Was he "resisting arrest" for the last whole 8 minutes and 46 seconds??

He wasn’t trying to steal 20$ in the last 9 minutes either. 

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I haven't seen anything like the media portrayal reflected in current real life interactions.  I've seen race relations in general get much better as a whole in my lifetime thankfully.  It was pretty tense in the 70's where I was growing up.

Social media and 24-7 access to just about everything, coupled with hundreds of millions more people has made the landscape more difficult to navigate.  The rise in mob mentality and lack of individual accountability has me concerned.

Especially when it concerns the police. :-\

(And what do you mean by the "media portrayal"??  Are we still talking about the video of Floyd being murdered?)

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Especially when it concerns the police. :-\

(And what do you mean by the "media portrayal"??  Are we still talking about the video of Floyd being murdered?)

No, when it concerns anyone.  The good that will hopefully come in reforms of police recruiting, training and disciplinary actions.  

No, we aren't still talking about the video of Floyd's murder.  It is the constant race-baiting from the media, as stories that invoke emotions such as anger, fear and outrage will always garner more views, hits and clicks than any positive or feel-good versions.  Similar with stories about athletes/celebrities getting in trouble during the off seasons. You'll see 10:1 news articles/videos of athletes getting arrested for various reasons over any action they might do to help the communities.  The media paints the picture that best helps their own pocketbook. Negativity, hyperbole and gloom attract viewers and sell ads.  Positivity and optimism, not so much. 

Things have gotten better, but they aren't where they should be and may never be perfect. 

26 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

No, when it concerns anyone.  The good that will hopefully come in reforms of police recruiting, training and disciplinary actions.  

No, we aren't still talking about the video of Floyd's murder.  It is the constant race-baiting from the media, as stories that invoke emotions such as anger, fear and outrage will always garner more views, hits and clicks than any positive or feel-good versions.  Similar with stories about athletes/celebrities getting in trouble during the off seasons. You'll see 10:1 news articles/videos of athletes getting arrested for various reasons over any action they might do to help the communities.  The media paints the picture that best helps their own pocketbook. Negativity, hyperbole and gloom attract viewers and sell ads.  Positivity and optimism, not so much. 

Things have gotten better, but they aren't where they should be and may never be perfect. 

Reporting news is not "race baiting".   :-\

And again, it's hardly surprising stories involving conflict predominate the regular news.  (Conflict is a foundational component of all human literature and key for garnering human interest.) So yeah, if the media didn't cover conflict they would quickly be out of business.

But you can find plenty of "feel-good" stories if you look for them and pay attention.

In fact, there is a "feel good" story almost every night on my local CBS and NBC news stations and PBS News Hour (national) frequently invests an entire segment on such stories.

Bottom line, our problems have nothing to do with the media. They are just reporting them. It's up to you to develop and seek out the appropriate balance of information that suits you.

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

In fact, there is a "feel good" story almost every night on my local CBS and NBC news stations and PBS News Hour (national) frequently invests an entire segment on such stories.

Yeah, that's the 1 in the 10:1 mentioned earlier. 

6 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yeah, that's the 1 in the 10:1 mentioned earlier. 

Once again, CONFLICT forms the basis of most news - at least 90%.

It has always been thus.  It's human nature. People are 90% more interested in conflict than what is happening ordinarily in everyday life.

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

People are 90% more interested in conflict than what is happening ordinarily in everyday life.

Yes, that is painting a picture that isn't necessarily reflective of reality. It's not really "reporting news" as much as it is competing against other media outlets. With more and more players in the field over the past decade, and more ease of access, the higher the emphasis on hyperbole and sensationalism to separate yourself from the pack. The result, which no longer shows an accurate depiction of the complete story, ends up stirring up anger and discord. In the end, it does much more harm than good. Which was my point in the first place.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yes, that is painting a picture that isn't necessarily reflective of reality. It's not really "reporting news" as much as it is competing against other media outlets. With more and more players in the field over the past decade, and more ease of access, the higher the emphasis on hyperbole and sensationalism to separate yourself from the pack. The result, which no longer shows an accurate depiction of the complete story, ends up stirring up anger and discord. In the end, it does much more harm than good. Which was my point in the  first place.

A lot of things probably seemed better before cable TV, much less the internet.  Especially if you were a middle-class white person.  But in actuality, they really weren't.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

A lot of things probably seemed better before cable TV, much less the internet.  Especially if you were a middle-class white person.  But in actuality, they really weren't.

Race relations were much worse before cable TV. They SEEM worse now...they aren't. A lot of that is due to lack of adequate journalism, and the appetite for sensationalism. 

Some cable TV and internet access has helped the situation through education, but most of that isn't coming via news outlets or message boards.

12 hours ago, alexava said:

He wasn’t trying to steal 20$ in the last 9 minutes either. 

No, over those nine minutes he was resisting arrest until subdued. When, exactly that was we don't yet know. I'll be interested to hear the testimony of those other three policemen that were witnesses.

20 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Race relations were much worse before cable TV. They SEEM worse now...they aren't. A lot of that is due to lack of adequate journalism, and the appetite for sensationalism. 

Some cable TV and internet access has helped the situation through education, but most of that isn't coming via news outlets or message boards.

Here you go:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/reasons-for-hope-amid-americas-racial-unrest

On 7/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, johnnyAU said:

Yes, that is painting a picture that isn't necessarily reflective of reality. It's not really "reporting news" as much as it is competing against other media outlets. With more and more players in the field over the past decade, and more ease of access, the higher the emphasis on hyperbole and sensationalism to separate yourself from the pack. The result, which no longer shows an accurate depiction of the complete story, ends up stirring up anger and discord. In the end, it does much more harm than good. Which was my point in the first place.

How do you know? How could you know?

On 6/30/2020 at 11:15 PM, Mikey said:

He was put in the car and then taken out. That's stupid. The drug stuff is just a cop out for people like yourself to say he deserved to die. I get tired of that. I wish they would go drug test at Auburn right now so we could see how many of our future doctor, lawyers, etc deserve to die then

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He was put in the car and then taken out. That's stupid. The drug stuff is just a cop out for people like yourself to say he deserved to die. I get tired of that. I wish they would go drug test at Auburn right now so we could see how many of our future doctor, lawyers, etc deserve to die then

If people only knew man.  While I was teaching at AU, I had a kid come to me crying because I failed him for missing the final.  His mom then wrote me an email saying that I was ruining his potential to get into med school.

His excuse: he was in jail for a week due to drugs and thus had no choice but to miss the final.

That's right, the kid actually tried to convince me that should be an excused absence.

And you guessed it, dude was white frat bro.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

If people only knew man.  While I was teaching at AU, I had a kid come to me crying because I failed him for missing the final.  His mom then wrote me an email saying that I was ruining his potential to get into med school.

His excuse: he was in jail for a week due to drugs and thus had no choice but to miss the final.

That's right, the kid actually tried to convince me that should be an excused absence.

This is the weeding out process in life, thanks for holding to the standards.  This guy had a decision to make, either get it together or go down in flames.  I wonder what choice he made?  When a person is in his 40’s or 50’s and doing the same stuff, well; how do you weed out those individuals?

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is the weeding out process in life, thanks for holding to the standards.  This guy had a decision to make, either get it together or go down in flames.  I wonder what choice he made?  When a person is in his 40’s or 50’s and doing the same stuff, well; how do you weed out those individuals?

Well also think about he is making those choices with all the support in the world, everything handed to him, so what about people that's 40-50 who didn't have an ounce of that.   I wonder would they even had started that path if given the resources

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

My experience at Auburn was jaw dropping. A person could've told me but I wouldn't had believed it with my own eyes, the way people on campus partied and the life the more well off was able to live. Hell my roommate who is a great guy was kicked out of school twice. My other one almost was kicked out but his parents wrote a letter....I bet 80% of black people didn't even know that was an option.

But the way they party.....such a hypocritical view to always say was drugs in his system? Drugs wouldn't even be as profitable as it is if white people wasn't so involved in drugs

On 6/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, homersapien said:

but the media is not fomenting division, they are simply reporting on it.

Homey spews more horse hockey. Blatant lies never stop with you dude.

The media in general is a huge divisive force in out nation. Period.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, johnnyAU said:

Knocked it out of the park. Amen and amen.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He was put in the car and then taken out. That's stupid.

I wonder why he was taken out and subdued? I doubt that he was sitting quietly and waiting for his peaceful ride to jail. There's a lot we don't know about these events and I'll be very interested to learn more. Court dates can't get here soon enough for me.

Quoting:"The drug stuff is just a cop out for people like yourself to say he deserved to die. " Or it may be an explanation about why he was resisting arrest. How many college students are doing drugs at any given time is an unrelated topic.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:20 AM, Mikey said:

No, over those nine minutes he was resisting arrest until subdued. When, exactly that was we don't yet know. I'll be interested to hear the testimony of those other three policemen that were witnesses.

Good grief. :no: 

Make sure you tell all of your black "friends" about your position on this.

Are you completely insane???

Archived