Cam to Patriots

Proud Tiger

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol dafuq dude? What is the correlation with getting high and watching the NFL with you? If people choose to get high and watch it? Then good for them. 

So we all watch college ball on Saturday because we have nothing better to do? Or maybe just maybe and I'm just spitballing here that we love the game and the sport. Same for people and the NFL. Sorry you find NFL football so offensive....

The only one who needs any bail out on here is you when you continually make a complete ass of yourself on here on a daily basis.

When a baby throws a tantrum, you just have to ignore it. When you give it attention, it associates the whiny, negative behavior with positive results. 

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Is a Sunday afternoon supposed to be valuable??? lol 

NFL fans have far more of a leg to stand on if you want to take that stance about which days you'd prefer to have games on 

You can't appeal to reason or logic with anti-NFL people.

Generally they're white people who never lived in an NFL market and are attached- through education or family ties- to a power college team.

They tell themselves all this crap about how the NFL is less pure than that great bastion of amateurism that is big time college athletics. (L O effing L.) They say that NFL players are just hired mercenaries with no love for their teams or cities. (Never mind that Cam Newton lived in Charlotte and played for Carolina for ten years compared to one at Auburn, or that no college player- especially not a future NFL player- is at one school longer than 5 years while many NFL players are with one team for longer than that.)

Furthermore, the NFL is obviously, necessarily, far and away a superior brand of football. It's suuuuuuuper not close at all. 

They are, in every way, haters. Fortunately, they're not an important voice in the conversation except for those of us who are perfectly happy to enjoy both. 

PS- It's particularly funny to hear somebody who spends an inordinate amount of time on this forum play the "I've got better things to do with my time" card. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, I leave that to the crackheads that don't have anything more interesting to do on a Sunday afternoon. Really, why watch a game if you don't care who wins?

1) Fantasy football

2) Because it's the highest level of my favorite sport.  Thus, I watch it.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Furthermore, the NFL is obviously, necessarily, far and away a superior brand of football. It's suuuuuuuper not close at all. 

This is what kills me about people sometimes.  NFL games consistently produce closer, more interesting games than college football.  I happen to love both, but you're far more likely to see a 30 point blowout in a college game than you are a professional game.

31 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is what kills me about people sometimes.  NFL games consistently produce closer, more interesting games than college football.  I happen to love both, but you're far more likely to see a 30 point blowout in a college game than you are a professional game.

Parity, talent, virtually unlimited practice and film room time, private trainers and dietitians... 

I get people not having an emotional attachment or rooting interest, but they embarrass themselves trying to denigrate the sport or its fans. They say a lot more about themselves in the process.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You can't appeal to reason or logic with anti-NFL people.

Generally they're white people who never lived in an NFL market and are attached- through education or family ties- to a power college team.

They tell themselves all this crap about how the NFL is less pure than that great bastion of amateurism that is big time college athletics. (L O effing L.) They say that NFL players are just hired mercenaries with no love for their teams or cities. (Never mind that Cam Newton lived in Charlotte and played for Carolina for ten years compared to one at Auburn, or that no college player- especially not a future NFL player- is at one school longer than 5 years while many NFL players are with one team for longer than that.)

They are, in every way, haters. Fortunately, they're not an important voice in the conversation except for those of us who are perfectly happy to enjoy both. 

PS- It's particularly funny to hear somebody who spends an inordinate amount of time on this forum play the "I've got better things to do with my time" card. 

The NFL is too white-bread, vanilla, mainstream, plastic, whatever feeling.  You know that favorite band that is on an independent label that is so cool, edgy, and creative?  Then they get signed by the giant record label who suddenly stylizes them for mass-appeal?  That's the NFL - it's all the same and it's too perfect.  Sometimes the beauty lies in the imperfection and the messiness - that's where the soul lies.  NFL's got no soul.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The NFL is too white-bread, vanilla, mainstream, plastic, whatever feeling.  You know that favorite band that is on an independent label that is so cool, edgy, and creative?  Then they get signed by the giant record label who suddenly stylizes them for mass-appeal?  That's the NFL - it's all the same and it's too perfect.  Sometimes the beauty lies in the imperfection and the messiness - that's where the soul lies.  NFL's got no soul.

You can say that about the league front office and I won't disagree- not that that would differentiate it from the NCAA in any way- but you seem to be attributing that to the game itself and that just isn't logical to me at all.

If anything, NFL players are allowed significantly more self-expression, both on the field and off, than college players are.

Furthermore and more relevant to actual game play, look at Nick Coe and then look at, say, Michael Strahan. Actually, no, look at Marlon Davidson. Coe is a better athlete, but do you know why Marlon Davidson got drafted in the 2nd round and Coe didn't get drafted at all? Soul. Passion. Love for the game. Same reason Peyton Barber is still in the NFL and Tre Mason isn't. Same reason Jerry Rice and Tom Brady are the best to ever play their positions without being even top 20 at their positions in terms of athletic prowess. 

There might be one guy on any given NFL team that is there on talent alone. The rest of those guys are there because they worked harder than the rest of the freaks they played with and against in college. Because they have soul. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Fantasy football

Gotta admit, fantasy football has made me care more about the sport, because I have a reason to watch every single game. NFL Red Zone + being in 4 FFB leagues is a hell of a drug!

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Fantasy football

I don't know anything about fantasy football. I suppose if there weren't people who enjoy spending time with it it wouldn't exist.

Auburn football, baseball and basketball are my three favorite sports followed by some 'minor" AU sports followed by the Olympics.

If it's a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon in the Fall I may read a book or watch a movie. I won' spend it looking at a game I care nothing about. If others want to watch it, fine. This is still America, so watch the NFL or practice with your guns. Whatever you think will benefit you most.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You can say that about the league front office and I won't disagree- not that that would differentiate it from the NCAA in any way- but you seem to be attributing that to the game itself and that just isn't logical to me at all.

If anything, NFL players are allowed significantly more self-expression, both on the field and off, than college players are.

Furthermore and more relevant to actual game play, look at Nick Coe and then look at, say, Michael Strahan. Actually, no, look at Marlon Davidson. Coe is a better athlete, but do you know why Marlon Davidson got drafted in the 2nd round and Coe didn't get drafted at all? Soul. Passion. Love for the game. Same reason Peyton Barber is still in the NFL and Tre Mason isn't. Same reason Jerry Rice and Tom Brady are the best to ever play their positions without being even top 20 at their positions in terms of athletic prowess. 

There might be one guy on any given NFL team that is there on talent alone. The rest of those guys are there because they worked harder than the rest of the freaks they played with and against in college. Because they have soul. 

I'm not talking about the athletes themselves...you're absolutely right there. And it's why I'm a fan of certain pro athletes, just not pro teams.  I'm talking about the general aura around the game.  It's so perfect, it's so clean, and in a sense, it's so generic. All the variables and disparity that make the game interesting to me get reduced so much because of the intense level of focus and professionalism at every level of the NFL game.  And then you have the fact that these athletes, coaches, and even teams move around from city to city so much...there's no genuine connection to place.  Except for a select few franchises the culture of the city hardly matters.  90% of the teams seem the same; they're just wearing different colors and they trade the same players around yearly.  Jags, Dolphins...what's the difference?  Titans, Falcons...same.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gotta admit, fantasy football has made me care more about the sport, because I have a reason to watch every single game. NFL Red Zone + being in 4 FFB leagues is a hell of a drug!

Red Zone?  Rookie!  I'm all in on Sunday Ticket.  Usually have at least four games going at once, depends who's on offense and what players I have.  Only time I'm focused on a single game on Sunday afternoon is when the Broncos play.

39 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Jags, Dolphins...what's the difference?  Titans, Falcons...same.

Depends on the point spread....

Y'all need gambling in your lives.  Makes things so much more fun!

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm not talking about the athletes themselves...you're absolutely right there. And it's why I'm a fan of certain pro athletes, just not pro teams.  I'm talking about the general aura around the game.  It's so perfect, it's so clean, and in a sense, it's so generic. All the variables and disparity that make the game interesting to me get reduced so much because of the intense level of focus and professionalism at every level of the NFL game.  And then you have the fact that these athletes, coaches, and even teams move around from city to city so much...there's no genuine connection to place.  Except for a select few franchises the culture of the city hardly matters.  90% of the teams seem the same; they're just wearing different colors and they trade the same players around yearly.  Jags, Dolphins...what's the difference?  Titans, Falcons...same.

Well, again, college players never stay anywhere longer than 5 years, and I'd wager that the average time a college player spends at one school is half that at most. Many (most?) NFL players spend far longer than that in one city. And college coaches move around every bit as much as NFL coaches do. As far as "sense of place" goes, I just don't think it's true that the college game doesn't suffer from that just as much as the pro game with regards to players and coaches.

With teams you have more of a point, but they don't move "so much". Well, except the Rams and Raiders, lol. 6 teams, as far as I know, have moved since I've been alive. And only 2 of them more than once.  It's true that some owner(ship group)s aren't great. But that's hardly representative of the league overall. Most franchises are as integral to the fabric of the cities they're in as any university is. And people go to college for 4, 5, *cough* 6 years, but they might live in their home city for decades. 

And you can say that 90% of the teams seem the same, but that just doesn't strike me as an educated opinion. I say this because I once thought like you. Then I moved to an NFL city and actually learned about it. The examples you chose, in particular are odd. I'll give you that Jacksonville is just a nothing franchise with a disinterested fan base- just like 75% of FBS programs- but that's exactly why they're nothing like Miami. And Tennessee is still in the process of meshing with Nashville- they just took a gigantic leap forward- but to suggest that there's nothing to differentiate them from the Falcons and Atlanta is odd. Just what's shown on the big screen before a Falcons (or Atlanta United) game will let you know exactly where you are and exactly who that team plays for. And that's true in most cities.

Question: Do you prefer college baseball to MLB? (I'm not a baseball fan so this might be easier for me to understand your perspective.)

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, again, college players never stay anywhere longer than 5 years, and I'd wager that the average time a college player spends at one school is half that at most. Many (most?) NFL players spend far longer than that in one city. And college coaches move around every bit as much as NFL coaches do. As far as "sense of place" goes, I just don't think it's true that the college game doesn't suffer from that just as much as the pro game with regards to players and coaches.

With teams you have more of a point, but they don't move "so much". Well, except the Rams and Raiders, lol. 6 teams, as far as I know, have moved since I've been alive. And only 2 of them more than once.  It's true that some owner(ship group)s aren't great. But that's hardly representative of the league overall. Most franchises are as integral to the fabric of the cities they're in as any university is. And people go to college for 4, 5, *cough* 6 years, but they might live in their home city for decades. 

And you can say that 90% of the teams seem the same, but that just doesn't strike me as an educated opinion. I say this because I once thought like you. Then I moved to an NFL city and actually learned about it. The examples you chose, in particular are odd. I'll give you that Jacksonville is just a nothing franchise with a disinterested fan base- just like 75% of FBS programs- but that's exactly why they're nothing like Miami. And Tennessee is still in the process of meshing with Nashville- they just took a gigantic leap forward- but to suggest that there's nothing to differentiate them from the Falcons and Atlanta is odd. Just what's shown on the big screen before a Falcons (or Atlanta United) game will let you know exactly where you are and exactly who that team plays for. And that's true in most cities.

Question: Do you prefer college baseball to MLB? (I'm not a baseball fan so this might be easier for me to understand your perspective.)

Never lived anywhere but college towns.  Baseball is not interesting anymore - I grew up with that as my favorite sport and rooted for whatever team Bo Jackson, and later Frank Thomas, played on.  I got into the Braves briefly.  I usually picked a team because some dude on the baseball card had swagger.  I followed the Dodgers for a couple of years because I thought Ramon Martinez might be the next big thing.  I can't stand watching major league baseball now because I don't know who the good players are anymore and my kids aren't into it.  Regarding college baseball...I follow Auburn and I root for FSU to lose...that's about it.  The sport just doesn't interest me.

To be fair, I'm finding that the older I get, any game that's not Auburn related just doesn't interest me anymore.  When I was 7 or 8 I remember getting jitters and sweating when Auburn played on TV...no  professional team has done that for me and I just can't imagine it.

I think the disparity some may forget is the location of a person on the importance of what is around them.  I will first give a background that I like both college and the NFL.  If I would have to choose I would choose college football over the NFL, and the NBA over college basketball.  I live in Atlanta (Falcons) and was born in Kansas City (Chiefs).

It all depends on where you were from really.  Up North the NFL has a bigger presence than down south where college football is bigger.  A great example is the state of Alabama where there are no pro sports.  So pro football is not as big of a deal.  Same for a state like Indiana where their college football programs aren't very good, but the Colts historically are so the NFL is huge there.  There are some outliers like Texas with the Texans and Cowboys and Ohio with Ohio State.

If you try to compare who stays longer, the league or college football, what has been stated above is incorrect.  The average time in the league for a NFL player is 3.3 years, which is on par for a college football player staying between 3-5 years.  That is a breakeven.

Why many think college football is better is because the NFL is purely business.  There is not even a allegiance to a city a team is in.  A team owner can just move his team away from that city if he wanted.  Cam Newton was with Carolina for 10 years, but his main residence was in Atlanta, not Charlotte.  He loved Charlotte, but in the video above understood the business of it.

NFL players also follow the money.  This is why you see star players staying with a bad team because they can pay the most.  They will also leave a team if another team can pay more, even if it is an arch rival to that fanbase.  NFL players are not as willing to take pay cuts to remain with a team, like you see with the NBA.

It is all perspective really.  There is not a bad answer.  If you think college football is better, great.  If you think the NFL is better, great.  One is not better than the other.  It just depends on your perspective.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I follow Auburn and I root for FSU to lose

Respect.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

When I was 7 or 8 I remember getting jitters and sweating when Auburn played on TV...no  professional team has done that for me and I just can't imagine it.

Gotcha. I couldn't either. But then I got there. And now I'm cursed with 2 football teams fully capable of breaking my heart in increasingly creative and excruciating ways.

Thank goodness for Cam Newton and Atlanta United. 

I like the nfl. I might see a few games here and there. Mostly parts of games. I just can’t sit on my ass two days in a row for 3 months. Golf, fishing, hunting, yard work, home improvement projects. I’m an active guy. I love my former Auburn players and usually follow them. That’s why we became a Panthers family. But my favorite nfl player now is Mahommes. So I kinda just became a KC fan. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

We can't be friends

I started digging Mahommes game  when he was a freshman at TEXAS TECH. I just remember thinking about how awesome it would be to get a 3star qb that can ball like that. We missed our best shot with Lamar Jackson. I’m not really complaining. I never heard of either one in high school. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I started digging Mahommes game  when he was a freshman at TEXAS TECH. I just remember thinking about how awesome it would be to get a 3star qb that can ball like that. We missed our best shot with Lamar Jackson. I’m not really complaining. I never heard of either one in high school. 

Oh Mahomes is a great player.  But as a life-long Broncos fan, I'm required to have a visceral HATE for the Chiefs and Raiders.  Comes with the territory.

Gotta understand with me, the first orange and blue I ever wore into JHS was a Broncos jersey.  I went to Mile High for a game long before I went to JHS.

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

I like the nfl. I might see a few games here and there. Mostly parts of games. I just can’t sit on my ass two days in a row for 3 months. Golf, fishing, hunting, yard work, home improvement projects. I’m an active guy. I love my former Auburn players and usually follow them. That’s why we became a Panthers family. But my favorite nfl player now is Mahommes. So I kinda just became a KC fan. 

Yeah, real life dictates everything. There are other reasons that I've grown to love NFL for casual watching more than college, starting with my wife. Grew up in Connecticut, loves fantasy football. And the kids (and home ownership, like you said) mean I have to choose most weekends. And then there's soccer.....

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh Mahomes is a great player.  But as a life-long Broncos fan, I'm required to have a visceral HATE for the Chiefs and Raiders.  Comes with the territory.

Gotta understand with me, the first orange and blue I ever wore into JHS was a Broncos jersey.  I went to Mile High for a game long before I went to JHS.

I really want to go to a game in Denver and KC. Understand the contractual obligation to hate them but they're some passionate mofos. They love their soccer team, too. And the bbq... oh, wait, you REALLY hate them, don't you?

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I really want to go to a game in Denver and KC. Understand the contractual obligation to hate them but they're some passionate mofos. They love their soccer team, too. And the bbq... oh, wait, you REALLY hate them, don't you?

LOL!  I'll give KC BBQ this....Burnt ends are spectacular.

But Denver is great for a game.  Stadium is right in the downtown area, so you can barhop all the way over if you don't have a spot to tailgate.  Stadium literally shakes too (it was designed that way).

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I think the disparity some may forget is the location of a person on the importance of what is around them.  I will first give a background that I like both college and the NFL.  If I would have to choose I would choose college football over the NFL, and the NBA over college basketball.  I live in Atlanta (Falcons) and was born in Kansas City (Chiefs).

It all depends on where you were from really.  Up North the NFL has a bigger presence than down south where college football is bigger.  A great example is the state of Alabama where there are no pro sports.  So pro football is not as big of a deal.  Same for a state like Indiana where their college football programs aren't very good, but the Colts historically are so the NFL is huge there.  There are some outliers like Texas with the Texans and Cowboys and Ohio with Ohio State.

If you try to compare who stays longer, the league or college football, what has been stated above is incorrect.  The average time in the league for a NFL player is 3.3 years, which is on par for a college football player staying between 3-5 years.  That is a breakeven.

Why many think college football is better is because the NFL is purely business.  There is not even a allegiance to a city a team is in.  A team owner can just move his team away from that city if he wanted.  Cam Newton was with Carolina for 10 years, but his main residence was in Atlanta, not Charlotte.  He loved Charlotte, but in the video above understood the business of it.

NFL players also follow the money.  This is why you see star players staying with a bad team because they can pay the most.  They will also leave a team if another team can pay more, even if it is an arch rival to that fanbase.  NFL players are not as willing to take pay cuts to remain with a team, like you see with the NBA.

It is all perspective really.  There is not a bad answer.  If you think college football is better, great.  If you think the NFL is better, great.  One is not better than the other.  It just depends on your perspective.

dfs.gif

Archived