Auburn Flashback - Pat Dye's Last Stand

StatTiger

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Was watching the history of the SEC this weekend and it was fascinating to see the footage from the 80s.  I had no idea a player died from heat exhaustion.  The majority of the 80s episode was about Auburn and the revival of the Iron Bowl.  

What was the show called? Would love to find and view. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

What was the show called? Would love to find and view. 

It was literally called the History of the SEC.  It broke down each decade in a hour show.  I tried to find it yesterday to see the parts I missed but it’s not on demand.  I think the SEC network put it together when ESPN did their history of college football earlier in the year.  Great video clips of Coach Dye in the locker room post games

22 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Was watching the history of the SEC this weekend and it was fascinating to see the footage from the 80s.  I had no idea a player died from heat exhaustion.

Greg Pratt. It’s why the 1983 team wore #36 on the back of their helmets that season. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, WVR said:

Ricky Sutton sacked the FSU QB for about a 20 yard loss.

Watched it at the local Chi-Chi’s on their big tube TV. That was the first time I ever watched a game at a restaurant/bar. When Ricky sacked Weldon on 4th down, the joint went freaking apeshite. Even my buddy, who didn’t care for football, said “Holy shite! That was incredible!” 

I didn’t watch the 2013 IB at a restaurant/bar, but after watching countless youtube videos of them, I can honestly say the Weldon sack got that type reaction when it happened. It was that nutz.  

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I didn’t watch the 2013 IB at a restaurant/bar, but after watching countless youtube videos of them, I can honestly say the Weldon sack got that type reaction when it happened. It was that nutz.  

Howard Stern was even talking about the kick six the next Monday on his show.  Said the place he was at in NYC went nuts.  He also played the call and said it sounded like two dudes getting it on when Stan White started going off.  I chuckled a bit when he said that.  

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, SLAG-91 said:

I didn't know until I saw it later on TV how close Von Wyl was to missing that last FG against FSU...just tucked it inside the left upright. This was the last year with the wider goalposts, and thank goodness for that.

Yup. I noticed not too long after the 1990 season they shortened the width of the goal posts.