What was the First Concert you attended?

Tigermike

On 8/4/2020 at 2:07 PM, McLoofus said:

Metallica, BJCC, Justice tour in '88 or '89 I think. Queensryche opened. They were... not my thing. Metallica was absolutely incredible. I was 13 or 14. My date was a redhead a little older than me. My dad drove us and read a book outside. Pretty cool night. 

Something definitley missing for me with Queensryche.........You have a lead vocalist with an amazing voice and good guitarist, bassist, and drummer..........but together they're terrible to me for some reason........like oil and sand in a 350 Chevy engine if that makes sense.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2020 at 12:01 PM, kevon67 said:

Something definitley missing for me with Queensryche.........You have a lead vocalist with an amazing voice and good guitarist, bassist, and drummer..........but together they're terrible to me for some reason........like oil and sand in a 350 Chevy engine if that makes sense.

Queensryche is a polarizing band for the same reason Rush and Dream Theater are. I'm a fan, but yeah can see how some wouldn't like their sound. 

Operation: Mindcrime basically codified the prog metal genre before prog metal was a thing.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Buckingham Nicks/Boutwell Auditorium. Amazing.

u lucky bastid...............

white witch in the early seventies. they were a very popular southeastern band called the tropics for years. they were amazing.they have music on youtube the opening act was rock candy and years later i would be in a band with rock candy's guitar player.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, ToraGirl said:

Lionel Richie/Pointer Sisters, Alabama, Chicago...

All AU Coliseum...I think...and I don't remember the order. When I researched, I discovered that Elvis Presley, John Denver (my parents probably went), and Bruce Springsteen all played it, too....mid-70s. I'm so glad Beard-Eaves has survived the wrecking ball to date, though 2013 articles thought it wouldn't. They keep it open for public walking, some sport practices, and certain AU classes.

Anyone else see concerts here, and whom did you see? Where else did AU StudentAct concerts take place? 

I saw Manassas in the early 70's.   It was ******* awesome!!!   Steven Stills came on stage wearing a #7 Auburn home jersey!  We went crazy!

My wife saw the Stones, when they finally showed up. (There's an interesting side story about that which I can't divulge.)

Dave Brubeck and Jerry Mulligan were a trip (literally) - I turned my roommates on to jazz with that one.

Hell, I can't remember who else, but there were several. 

But like they say, if you can remember it, you weren't there. ;)

For those liking Between the Buried and Me, @McLoofus @Tiger Refuge. You can also check out Glass Casket and Prayer For Cleansing. Two other bands with members from BTBAM. Those bands definitely trend more towards metalcore/deathcore—a bit more edgy in sound and less tech, but the BTBAM influence is there. 

Elvis, at the Olympic Theater, downtown Miami, August of 1956. I was 13 years old then and it's still the best Rock & Roll concert I've ever seen.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:44 PM, homersapien said:

My wife saw the Stones, when they finally showed up. (There's an interesting side story about that which I can't divulge.)

You were probably slamming black tar heroin into your eyeballs backstage with Keith. 

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

You were probably slamming black tar heroin into your eyeballs backstage with Keith. 

Drugs and rock stars, man.

Saw Velvet Revolver, basically Guns N' Roses with Scott Weiland on lead vocals, at Boutwell in '04. They were late coming out and you could tell Weiland was high as a Georgia pine.

But damn if that wasn't amazing show. Also fun because we picked up some woman beating a-hole and chucked his ass out of there lol.

On 8/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, AUDub said:

Remastered Alaska would be fun.

So yeah, @ShocksMyBrain, remastered Alaska now confirmed. 

Archived