2022 4* OG/C Dayne Shor

ellitor

38 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Great story! You might like this one:

I was working with an orchestra in Charlottesvile, VA back in 1994.  I had spent the last year and a half in San Francisco with the San Fran Opera, and I basically had looked up to heaven and said, "Ok, I'm done.  I can live alone for the rest of my life." If you knew the women I had been dating, you would understand why...

So, I went to an orchestra sponsored party one night, and there I met a local banker, and he introduced me to his wife. During our talk, this amazing young woman walked up to join us.  She was introduced to me as "a violinist in our orchestra," and I was smitten.  I mean smitten.

I kept trying to say something other than "Hi" to this young woman, but the Banker's wife would not allow me to get a word in.  This went on for ten minutes (maybe a few more) then the couple decided to move on.  Unfortunately, the young woman decided to go with them also. Without thinking, I caught her by the wrist, and boldly said:

"Hi, I'm James.  I have been trying to speak to you for the last ten minutes, but this little lady just wouldn't shut up."

She smiled at me and said, "Yes, my Mother does talk a lot."

Tw weeks later we were engaged, married six months later, and celebrate 27 years December 31.

Luckiest man, ever.

Tell a great story too. 

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I was working with an orchestra in Charlottesvile, VA back in 1994.  I had spent the last year and a half in San Francisco with the San Fran Opera, and I basically had looked up to heaven and said, "Ok, I'm done.  I can live alone for the rest of my life." If you knew the women I had been dating, you would understand why...

So, I went to an orchestra sponsored party one night, and there I met a local banker, and he introduced me to his wife. During our talk, this amazing young woman walked up to join us.  She was introduced to me as "a violinist in our orchestra," and I was smitten.  I mean smitten.

I kept trying to say something other than "Hi" to this young woman, but the Banker's wife would not allow me to get a word in.  This went on for ten minutes (maybe a few more) then the couple decided to move on.  Unfortunately, the young woman decided to go with them also. Without thinking, I caught her by the wrist, and boldly said:

"Hi, I'm James.  I have been trying to speak to you for the last ten minutes, but this little lady just wouldn't shut up."

Tw weeks later we were engaged, married six months later, and celebrate 27 years December 31.

Luckiest man, ever.

I love, love!  It is awesome!  Great story buddy!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Luckiest man, ever.

Great story.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, lca408 said:

I’ll agree here. The Shining is excellent but far from his best movie. It’s also not a traditional scary movie as it’s more psychological/slow burn. The Shining book is somewhat similar in that sense but the story is way different and there’s a redeeming quality in Jack’s character that’s there throughout, as opposed to the movie where he’s basically a ticking time bomb that turned evil with no chance to change back. I enjoy both for what they are. Doctor Sleep, the sequel, tries to split the difference between the two and does a really good job of it (the movie). Mike Flanagan is just fantastic with everything he does in that genre. 

I’d have trouble selecting King’s best book, but a lot of his “cocaine days” books are all top tier. As far as Kubrick, Paths of Glory may be his best work to me, but my fav is probably either 2001 or Dr Strangelove. The most beautiful is Barry Lyndon by far. If you’ve never watched that movie - do yourself a favor and watch it if only for the cinematography.

Just watched BL for the first time recently. Beautiful film, indeed 

Full Metal Jacket is my favorite film of his but I'm a sucker for war movies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Full Metal Jacket is my favorite film of his but I'm a sucker for war movies.

Best thing is,  it is like watching two different movies 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fredst said:

I read a bunch of a Stephen King back in the day but it has been years. His best scary stuff just never translated well to the screen for whatever reason. I was probably a senior in high school when “Pet Sematary” came out and I remember that being incredibly good and creepy.

Agree that “Strangelove” is Kubrick's best. Have not watched “Barry Lyndon” in awhile but I have the Kubrick collection on my shelf- need to rewatch

Add: I love productive thread derailments like these, particularly on threads that are going nowhere anyway 😛

Hamburgers are good 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Luckiest man, ever.

Fantastic story!

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Best thing is,  it is like watching two different movies 

Exactly. And for my money, the first movie is way better than the second. 

• Like 1

Thanks for a very fun thread, guys.

On the topic of movies that improve on the books, I'd say @fredstnailed it from the start. The Godfather is the ultimate example and No Country for Old Men is a perfect film. I will add the original Gene Wilder Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, The Princess Bride, and Goodfellas. 

I agree with several on here that Strangelove is Kubrick's best. 

As far as blind dates, I was way too big of a dork to have the courage to go on one. So no matter how bad you think yours was, you were a step ahead of me. But I lucked out when my friend's sister somehow took a shining (haha-Kubrick) to me. She looked like Kelly Kapowski and spurned all the good looking dudes for me, so I married her. Luckily, she is also smart, funny, and incredibly cool. 18 years last month. Sometimes the Screech's win!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, cbo said:

No Country for Old Men is a perfect film.

Love that film. Amazing the Coens can do that and also “The Big Lebowski”. To me this is the best scene of many great ones:

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Exactly. And for my money, the first movie is way better than the second. 

Last time I watched it I actually liked that second half better than I had previously 

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Love that film. Amazing the Coens can do that and also “The Big Lebowski”. To me this is the best scene of many great ones:

Coens... goodness... the best.

Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona... hell, Blood Simple is a damned BANGER. 

I was once in a theater packed with some pretty major celebrities. Seeing Joel Coen and Frances McDormand might've been the highlight. (Walked out shoulder to shoulder with Billy Crystal but he was very clearly not going to be bothered. I of course hold no ill will against him for that but it rendered the experience somewhat less of a "highlight". Indeed, 'twas better to have seen the other celebrities from a couple rows away and pretend how those shoulder brushes would've gone down.)

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Coens... goodness... the best.

Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona... hell, Blood Simple is a damned BANGER. 

I was once in a theater packed with some pretty major celebrities. Seeing Joel Coen and Frances McDormand might've been the highlight. (Walked out shoulder to shoulder with Billy Crystal but he was very clearly not going to be bothered. I of course hold no ill will against him for that but it rendered the experience somewhat less of a "highlight". Indeed, 'twas better to have seen the other celebrities from a couple rows away and pretend how those shoulder brushes would've gone down.)

WTH? Did Crystal not know who he was dealing with? I’ve totally lost all respect for him….

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

WTH? Did Crystal not know who he was dealing with? I’ve totally lost all respect for him….

My Clark Kent is very convincing.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Seeing Joel Coen and Frances McDormand might've been the highlight.

And, love Frances McDormand but damn “Nomadland” was just depressing 

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

And, love Frances McDormand but damn “Nomadland” was just depressing 

Typically we watch all the major Oscar contenders but for some reason we just never sought that one out despite hearing such good things (beyond the big win) and not having many other new movies to watch, lol. 

Really hope we can start going back to theaters without masks at some point. It's one of the things I miss most about the before times. I LOVE going to the movie theater. We have a cheap theater with recliners and a great concession stand near the house and it stays mostly empty in the offseason, which just happens to be when all the best movies come out. I can go on a Wednesday night late showing in my pajamas and have a theater almost to myself. Maybe sneak a few minis in to keep me company. It's heaven. I really want to be able to do that again.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Typically we watch all the major Oscar contenders but for some reason we just never sought that one out despite hearing such good things (beyond the big win) and not having many other new movies to watch, lol. 

Really hope we can start going back to theaters without masks at some point. It's one of the things I miss most about the before times. I LOVE going to the movie theater. We have a cheap theater with recliners and a great concession stand near the house and it stays mostly empty in the offseason, which just happens to be when all the best movies come out. I can go on a Wednesday night late showing in my pajamas and have a theater almost to myself. Maybe sneak a few minis in to keep me company. It's heaven. I really want to be able to do that again.

Watched “No Sudden Move” the new Steven Soderbergh film this weekend. Love his stuff, good film and great cast. I’m with you on the theater. Our time in Dallas we were close to the Inwood that showed great small and foreign films and you could get a cocktail- love that experience 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, fredst said:

Watch “No Sudden Move” the new Steven Soderbergh film this weekend. Love his stuff, good film and great cast. I’m with you on the theater. Our time in Dallas we were close to the Inwood that showed great small and foreign films and you could get a cocktail- love that experience 

We started that one night, but it was late, we were tired, and the movie started off very slowly. I need to revisit it. That cast is straight fire and Soderbergh duh.

Yes sir. Smart movies and cocktails with a bunch strangers in a dark room. Preferably on a rainy afternoon. Put it in my veins. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We started that one night, but it was late, we were tired, and the movie started off very slowly. I need to revisit it. That cast is straight fire and Soderbergh duh.

Yes sir. Smart movies and cocktails with a bunch strangers in a dark room. Preferably on a rainy afternoon. Put it in my veins. 

It is confusing with a lot of moving parts but ultimately very good. Interesting premise behind it

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 9:45 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

My first date at Auburn was a blind Date. The only person I knew at Auburn who was a year ahead of me called his girl friend up and they set me and a young lady up on a blind Date. His girlfriend asked John to describe me and he said he is big and she said she had the perfect date.  I am stout at the time 5'11" 225 pounds I played a lot of sports and worked out, I was also 17 years old and very shy. I walked to pickup my date at the Dorm (Freshman were not allowed cars in 1969).  My Date comes out 6'3" tall and beautiful, as a shy I freshman didn't know what to do we went to free movie on campus I doubt if I said 6 words on the walk there during movie or on walk back I was so intimidated by her.  3 years later we met again I had matured some we didn't date but became really good friends who laughed about how inept I was on that 1st date.

I am not trying to compete, but speaking of blind dates, I went on one in HS that you guys made me recall just now:  I was about to graduate and go to Auburn, so we were older HS students.  A buddy had begged me to do this for his GF.   So obviously I was suspicious, but you do what you got to do for a buddy.   He gave the regular story about she is a friend of his GF and pretty and this is not the, "she has a great personality"  type of set up.   I asked if he had met her and he said no.  Well as the date got closer, he confided in me that maybe he had done me wrong, but promised as a double date, we could end it early if need be.   I asked why since he had not met her.   He said her name was "Elka".   We both laughed and agreed she probably looked like a moose.  HS kids only think of looks initially.  Well for a couple of days leading up this blind date,  we both planned on ending it early and figured this was going to be a mess.  There were countless jokes and laughs to be had.    We were both wrong!   She was quite beautiful and one of her parents was from Europe, hence her name.  Unfortunately, she was a social mess and could not contribute  much to the  conversations or maybe she did not think much of me.  Anyhow,  the date ended as planned, not early, but  neither of us sought to date one another again.   I wonder how I would have felt about the date or how it would have turned out if me and my buddy hadn't teased each other for 3 straight days BEFORE the date.     

If any of you fellas married Elka, from Pensacola,  I apologize for not being a better date. 

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am not trying to compete, but speaking of blind dates, I went on one in HS that you guys made me recall just now:  I was about to graduate and go to Auburn, so we were older HS students.  A buddy had begged me to do this for his GF.   So obviously I was suspicious, but you do what you got to do for a buddy.   He gave the regular story about she is a friend of his GF and pretty and this is not the, "she has a great personality"  type of set up.   I asked if he had met her and he said no.  Well as the date got closer, he confided in me that maybe he had done me wrong, but promised as a double date, we could end it early if need be.   I asked why since he had not met her.   He said her name was "Elka".   We both laughed and agreed she probably looked like a moose.  HS kids only think of looks initially.  Well for a couple of days leading up this blind date,  we both planned on ending it early and figured this was going to be a mess.  There were countless jokes and laughs to be had.    We were both wrong!   She was quite beautiful and one of her parents was from Europe, hence her name.  Unfortunately, she was a social mess and could not contribute  much to the  conversations or maybe she did not think much of me.  Anyhow,  the date ended as planned, not early, but  neither of us sought to date one another again.   I wonder how I would have felt about the date or how it would have turned out if me and my buddy hadn't teased each other for 3 straight days BEFORE the date.     

If any of you fellas married Elka, from Pensacola,  I apologize for not being a better date. 

I'm curious what you mean by social mess? How did she not fit in on a blind date with the others? I guess being an outsider, there was nothing 'local' to talk about...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Pensacola girls are some good ones.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm curious what you mean by social mess? How did she not fit in on a blind date with the others? I guess being an outsider, there was nothing 'local' to talk about...

Yeah,  she went to a different school and only knew her friend.   There was not a lot of common ground.   I think she was staying home and going to the local jc, vs going away to school.  Actually, I was the only one hitting the road I think. I am sure she was a very nice person, but  if you don't converse much, hard to get to know much about you.