2022 4* OG/C Dayne Shor

ellitor

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

YOU USING A EMOJI?! You are getting closer to using a GIF!!!!!!! 

Not at all. I was using the :thumbsup: and :thumbsdown: things long before you were posting on this board.

I have to admit I am at a bit of a loss with this young man going to bama.  We are in desperate need of O-Linemen, he seemed to love Auburn and wanted an offer, he is a 4*, there was an injury issue that gave us pause, bama worked him out and apparently determined that he was healthy enough for a committable offer.

There were reports we wouldn't even call the young man back when he showed interest in us. The fact that bama which has track record for finding good O-Line liked him makes me wonder why we treated him like we did. bama worked him out because of the injury there was no reason we couldn't have done the same thing. It is starting to seem like as soon as a coach is hired by Auburn their ability to judge and recruit O-Line disappears.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have to admit I am at a bit of a loss with this young man going to bama.  We are in desperate need of O-Linemen, he seemed to love Auburn and wanted an offer, he is a 4*, there was an injury issue that gave us pause, bama worked him out and apparently determined that he was healthy enough for a committable offer.

There were reports we wouldn't even call the young man back when he showed interest in us. The fact that bama which has track record for finding good O-Line liked him makes me wonder why we treated him like we did. bama worked him out because of the injury there was no reason we couldn't have done the same thing. It is starting to seem like as soon as a coach is hired by Auburn their ability to judge and recruit O-Line disappears.

Another way to look at is bama can afford the risk as this guy won't be critical to their success, whereas we absolutely cannot. 

And it's waaaaay early to be writing the epitaph on this staff's OL recruiting. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Another way to look at is bama can afford the risk as this guy won't be critical to their success, whereas we absolutely cannot. 

All of this x100

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sure bama can afford to take a risk at any position, but based on our recruiting results to date, it looks like we're taking risk after risk at other positions where we are not in such dire needs as we are on the OLine.  If there is any position where we need warm bodies it's the OLIne.

34 minutes ago, tinman said:

it looks like we're taking risk after risk at other positions where we are not in such dire needs as we are on the OLine

First, what injury risks have we taken at other positions? 

Second, I'm not sure if you disagree with my point or missed it altogether. Saying for a moment that we are taking "risks" at other positions where we are deeper, that's the exact same reason that I posited bama can afford to take a risk on this guy. It's not actually much of a risk, and they and we will be okay if the guy doesn't work out.

No, we don't just need warm bodies at offensive line. We need impact players. You can't build depth if you don't have quality 1s. If we miss on guys in these first couple cycles then we just stay in the hole we've been in.

We might see several three-star guys but those aren't going to be "risks". They're going to be guys that give us reason to expect adequate offensive line play. Then hopefully we build to elite offensive line play with elite talent.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

First, what injury risks have we taken at other positions? 

Second, I'm not sure if you disagree with my point or missed it altogether. Saying for a moment that we are taking "risks" at other positions where we are deeper, that's the exact same reason that I posited bama can afford to take a risk on this guy. It's not actually much of a risk, and they and we will be okay if the guy doesn't work out.

No, we don't just need warm bodies at offensive line. We need impact players. You can't build depth if you don't have quality 1s. If we miss on guys in these first couple cycles then we just stay in the hole we've been in.

We might see several three-star guys but those aren't going to be "risks". They're going to be guys that give us reason to expect adequate offensive line play. Then hopefully we build to elite offensive line play with elite talent.

If Shor is a 3* with possible potential, as some have said on here, we need better OL that can come in and play after this year's group leaves. 

It's been stated here they are going to get them through transfers and JUCO, so they dont' have to be projects like Shor seems to be and Alabama can take that chance now...we can't. 

Sound about right? Or are we going to go back and forth again with our OL recruiting problems like we did under the previous coach?  :)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If Shor is a 3* with possible potential, as some have said on here, we need better OL that can come in and play after this year's group leaves. 

It's been stated here they are going to get them through transfers and JUCO, so they dont' have to be projects like Shor seems to be and Alabama can take that chance now...we can't. 

Sound about right? Or are we going to go back and forth again with our OL recruiting problems like we did under the previous coach?  :)

That's how I see it! I think we'll get them primarily from high school but yeah, they'll be guys without obvious injury, academic, or behavioral concerns. Is my guess. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

bama doesn't waste scholarships. Before offering this young man they brought him in and worked him out. He has all the measurables he is 6'6" and 295 pounds. You are correct they can afford a failure because of their depth but with the numbers we need we can take a player like this. For years now we go for the stud then lose out and then get nobody.  We can still try and pick up others but this is a player I think we will regret not getting when we could have gotten him. 

I have not given up on this staff in O-Line recruiting and I realize that we might need to go Juco and Transfer as a stop gap but I hate that we didn't push more on this player at least to get him to hold off on committing. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I hate that we didn't push more on this player at least to get him to hold off on committing. 

I have to admit the recruitment here, or lack there of, was puzzling for awhile now. Getting an offer from UA and committing to them makes it even more so. Oh well, trying to just trust the staff….

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

I have to admit the recruitment here, or lack there of, was puzzling for awhile now. Getting an offer from UA and committing to them makes it even more so. Oh well, trying to just trust the staff….

Maybe there isn't  place for mr. Shore.

A LOT we don't know.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

bama doesn't waste scholarships. Before offering this young man they brought him in and worked him out. He has all the measurables he is 6'6" and 295 pounds. You are correct they can afford a failure because of their depth but with the numbers we need we can take a player like this. For years now we go for the stud then lose out and then get nobody.  We can still try and pick up others but this is a player I think we will regret not getting when we could have gotten him. 

I have not given up on this staff in O-Line recruiting and I realize that we might need to go Juco and Transfer as a stop gap but I hate that we didn't push more on this player at least to get him to hold off on committing. 

-bama can afford to let him "rehab" for 2-3 years. We can't.

-A workout isn't going to guarantee the long term viability of the injured leg

-I'll say it again, I guess. With the numbers we need, we have to hit on the guys we sign. Also, this only becomes a problem if we don't hit our number before the 2022 season starts. 

-Will Friend is/was tight with this guy. We didn't even give him a strong look. Are we really doubting this staff that hard already?

-Transfers aren't stop gaps anymore. I know you haven't forgotten that we just nabbed a big bucket of dudes averaging 3 years of remaining eligibility, if not more. I don't love the idea of holding our breath for quality *OLs* in the transfer market, but that's irrelevant to the transfer vs stop gap conversation.

Back to risk, though, I'm glad that at least a few other people understand it in this context the same way I do. We need more players than we can realistically sign, and we need to feel really good that each one we do sign will be able to contribute early and often. Clearly our staff doesn't feel that way about Shor, a "tackle" who projects as a guard to most and who just missed an entire season due to injury. (...which is a huge chunk of his development and leads to long term health concerns...) Not sure what's so weird about that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

-bama can afford to let him "rehab" for 2-3 years. We can't.

-A workout isn't going to guarantee the long term viability of the injured leg

-I'll say it again, I guess. With the numbers we need, we have to hit on the guys we sign. Also, this only becomes a problem if we don't hit our number before the 2022 season starts. 

-Will Friend is/was tight with this guy. We didn't even give him a strong look. Are we really doubting this staff that hard already?

-Transfers aren't stop gaps anymore. I know you haven't forgotten that we just nabbed a big bucket of dudes averaging 3 years of remaining eligibility, if not more. I don't love the idea of holding our breath for quality *OLs* in the transfer market, but that's irrelevant to the transfer vs stop gap conversation.

Back to risk, though, I'm glad that at least a few other people understand it in this context the same way I do. We need more players than we can realistically sign, and we need to feel really good that each one we do sign will be able to contribute early and often. Clearly our staff doesn't feel that way about Shor, a "tackle" who projects as a guard to most and who just missed an entire season due to injury. (...which is a huge chunk of his development and leads to long term health concerns...) Not sure what's so weird about that. 

It was a torn labrum. If he's playing his sr year, then obviously his shoulder is fine. It will be interesting to see how it plays out and which staff was right. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yes they are.

There are a lot of scared people on this board.  

I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

• Love 2

44 minutes ago, peashooter said:

It was a torn labrum. If he's playing his sr year, then obviously his shoulder is fine. It will be interesting to see how it plays out and which staff was right. 

I'm not certain that him playing his senior year in any means that he's not an injury risk down the road. That said, the injury might not have anything to do with it. Doesn't really matter. We might not have handled his recruitment perfectly in terms of decorum and such but until they earn my distrust, I'll assume the staff had legitimate reasons for passing on him.

23 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Yes they are.

There are a lot of scared people on this board.  

I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Whoa. That would be a cool thing for Will Herring to yell at the players before every game. Buncha real murdery fellas running onto that field.

• Thanks 1

He'll end up being asked to accept a gray shirt, I'm confident.  

I haven't seen it posted, but wanted to mention he has transferred back to Denmark, the school he was at his freshman year.  4 schools in 4 years.   

Edited by USATiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I haven't seen it posted, but wanted to mention he has transferred back to Denmark, the school he was at his freshman year.  4 schools in 4 years.   

That isn’t too uncommon from IMG players.  Denmark is a good school here in Alpharetta.  Capers went there.  

I trust the coaches, but it still feels bad.  Shor even joined this forum earlier this year and made a few posts.  I really hoped he ended up with us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Shor even joined this forum earlier this year and made a few posts.

Does anyone know if that was real (serious question)? Seemed a little strange at the time…

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

Does anyone know if that was real (serious question)? Seemed a little strange at the time…

I don’t know for certain, but the posts seemed believable (at least to me).

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don’t know for certain, but the posts seemed believable (at least to me).

Agree, it just seemed a little weird and had not seen it before

This one just feels odd. I know there could be numerous explanations that are perfectly reasonable. But Shor is one of very few recruits that Bama wants that we could have had. And it's at the position of greatest need.

• Like 1

It’s entirely possible that the coaches sniffed out another game-playing Foster/Evans flip to UA at the last minute and told Shor he wasn’t wanted.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

It’s entirely possible that the coaches sniffed out another game-playing Foster/Evans flip to UA at the last minute and told Shor he wasn’t wanted.  

That's certainly possible.  I believe the staff has reasons to slow-play Shor, and think they are waiting for more evaluations from this Fall.  I think this is just Saban being Saban, and locking up a player that Auburn needs, in-case the staff changes their mind.  It is part of the process, Saban has done it many times before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa. That would be a cool thing for Will Herring to yell at the players before every game. Buncha real murdery fellas running onto that field.

That is from the novel Dune, by Frank Herbert.  Paul Atreides recites it when the Bene Gesserit tests how he handles pain. If he fails he dies...

This whole thing is a mind game...and there is SO much more I could put into that, but won't here.

• Like 2