2022 4* OG/C Dayne Shor

ellitor

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Aren’t they all??

Well I can think of one I dated at Auburn that would be border line but we want go there at the moment

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I can think of one I dated at Auburn that would be border line but we want go there at the moment

I don’t think we should hold her choice of dates against her. Probably just a momentary lapse in judgment.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

My first date at Auburn was a blind Date. The only person I knew at Auburn who was a year ahead of me called his girl friend up and they set me and a young lady up on a blind Date. His girlfriend asked John to describe me and he said he is big and she said she had the perfect date.  I am stout at the time 5'11" 225 pounds I played a lot of sports and worked out, I was also 17 years old and very shy. I walked to pickup my date at the Dorm (Freshman were not allowed cars in 1969).  My Date comes out 6'3" tall and beautiful, as a shy I freshman didn't know what to do we went to free movie on campus I doubt if I said 6 words on the walk there during movie or on walk back I was so intimidated by her.  3 years later we met again I had matured some we didn't date but became really good friends who laughed about how inept I was on that 1st date.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

My first date at Auburn was a blind Date. The only person I knew at Auburn who was a year ahead of me called his girl friend up and they set me and a young lady up on a blind Date. His girlfriend asked John to describe me and he said he is big and she said she had the perfect date.  I am stout at the time 5'11" 225 pounds I played a lot of sports and worked out, I was also 17 years old and very shy. I walked to pickup my date at the Dorm (Freshman were not allowed cars in 1969).  My Date comes out 6'3" tall and beautiful, as a shy I freshman didn't know what to do we went to free movie on campus I doubt if I said 6 words on the walk there during movie or on walk back I was so intimidated by her.  3 years later we met again I had matured some we didn't date but became really good friends who laughed about how inept I was on that 1st date.

This sounds infinitely better than some of my set up dates

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Love Jenkins but golf movies are hard to do and seldon very good. Baseball movies are much better more sentimentally involved

“Bagger Vance” (not sure of title) was a great golf movie.

• Like 2

I dated Jim Fyffe’s daughter at Auburn and even went to Sunday lunch at his house a couple of times, and I bet he didn’t say two words (saving his voice I guess/ or didn’t like me- going with former). She ended up marrying a good friend and lived in Athens Alabama for years where I live. Good times!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fredst said:

I do like good film and theater. However, only films/videos that I can think of that are near the equal of good books would be the BBC mini-series of “Pride and Prejudice” and “Tinker, Tailor,Soldier,Spy”. As far as movies, “No Country For Old Men” approached the greatness of Cormack McCarthy’s book and “The Godfather” is probably better than Mario Puzo’s book. I would be hard pressed to think of many other films that are the equal of a good book. What are your choices?

Kubrick's "The Shining" is a great movie based on one of King's weaker novels.  JMO.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Trakem said:

Kubrick's "The Shining" is a great movie based on one of King's weaker novels.  JMO.

Interesting- I thought a better book than movie but been many years since reading

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

Interesting- I thought a better book than movie but been many years since reading

My opinion is probably in the minority.  I've read that King absolutely hates the movie.

12 minutes ago, Trakem said:

My opinion is probably in the minority.  I've read that King absolutely hates the movie.

He did/does. Hated the way the ending was modified. I think Kubrick is brilliant but don’t think that’s his best movie (although I love Nicholson in it)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

"The Legend Of Bagger Vance" was a very good movie but the book was much better imo. I had played on the course it was filmed Colleton River Plantation close to Hilton Head which made it fun for me to watch. The best golf movie was "Follow The Sun" story about Ben Hogan life of course Ben is my favorite golfer of all time which make me prejudice. 

I should add "The Greatest Game Ever Played" as a very good golf movie not as good as the book but still a good golf movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Seven Days in Utopia.  Good flick using the game of golf as a means to deliver a message. Robert Duvall gave a great performance as always.

Edited by afblue

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

"The Legend Of Bagger Vance" was a very good movie but the book was much better imo. I had played on the course it was filmed Colleton River Plantation close to Hilton Head which made it fun for me to watch. The best golf movie was "Follow The Sun" story about Ben Hogan life of course Ben is my favorite golfer of all time which make me prejudice. 

I should add "The Greatest Game Ever Played" as a very good golf movie not as good as the book but still a good golf movie.

That’s the one I couldn’t remember the name of. Another great 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Two very different and equally amazing works for me.

I can imagine King was unhappy but that doesn't diminish the film for me.

Sincerely,

Kubrick Stan who would also be a King Stan if King endings and intersex dialogue weren't so awful

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Two very different and equally amazing works for me.

I can imagine King was unhappy but that doesn't diminish the film for me.

Sincerely,

Kubrick Stan who would also be a King Stan if King endings and intersex dialogue weren't so awful

Gotta be a literary page in here somewhere (found the political ones).

3 hours ago, toddc said:

I absolutely love that movie! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

A very underated movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

A very underated movie.

Agree enjoyable to watch especially if you're a golfer but even if you're not a golfer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredst said:

He did/does. Hated the way the ending was modified. I think Kubrick is brilliant but don’t think that’s his best movie (although I love Nicholson in it)

I’ll agree here. The Shining is excellent but far from his best movie. It’s also not a traditional scary movie as it’s more psychological/slow burn. The Shining book is somewhat similar in that sense but the story is way different and there’s a redeeming quality in Jack’s character that’s there throughout, as opposed to the movie where he’s basically a ticking time bomb that turned evil with no chance to change back. I enjoy both for what they are. Doctor Sleep, the sequel, tries to split the difference between the two and does a really good job of it (the movie). Mike Flanagan is just fantastic with everything he does in that genre. 

I’d have trouble selecting King’s best book, but a lot of his “cocaine days” books are all top tier. As far as Kubrick, Paths of Glory may be his best work to me, but my fav is probably either 2001 or Dr Strangelove. The most beautiful is Barry Lyndon by far. If you’ve never watched that movie - do yourself a favor and watch it if only for the cinematography.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I’d have trouble selecting King’s best book, but a lot of his “cocaine days” books are all top tier. As far as Kubrick, Paths of Glory may be his best work to me, but my fav is probably either 2001 or Dr Strangelove. The most beautiful is Barry Lyndon by far. If you’ve never watched that movie - do yourself a favor and watch it if only for the cinematography.

I read a bunch of a Stephen King back in the day but it has been years. His best scary stuff just never translated well to the screen for whatever reason. I was probably a senior in high school when “Pet Sematary” came out and I remember that being incredibly good and creepy.

Agree that “Strangelove” is Kubrick's best. Have not watched “Barry Lyndon” in awhile but I have the Kubrick collection on my shelf- need to rewatch

Add: I love productive thread derailments like these, particularly on threads that are going nowhere anyway 😛

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1