Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Doesn’t Search Firm do that first??

Oh yes. When they first contracted with this search firm, which has a checkered past, the AU PTB Media (read: "247") assured us this was 1) totally normal, and 2) totally necessary because only a search firm could make first contact with an active coach's agent. They also alluded to the fact the search firm would gather all kinds of important information before hand (demands, etc.) so candidates were "vetted" before any interview, and we would only be interviewing serious candidates.

44 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

That was quick. lol 

B8D822AA-14D8-43ED-A559-0A185FA31B27.jpeg

To be fair, Tommy Tuberville was going to have to be carried out of Oxford in a pine box, and we remember how that one turned out. 

Unless he’s signed to an insane buyout, it’s not completely over until we’ve hired someone.

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

Oh yes. When they first contracted with this search firm, which has a checkered past, the AU PTB Media (read: "247") assured us this was 1) totally normal, and 2) totally necessary because only a search firm could make first contact with an active coach's agent. They also alluded to the fact the search firm would gather all kinds of important information before hand (demands, etc.) so candidates were "vetted" before any interview, and we would only be interviewing serious candidates.

I remember last year a Tennessee school district hired a "search firm" to vet candidates for its Superintendent position, and the guy the search firm picked out and that was hired for the job ended up getting fired later with a huge payout because it was discovered that he had a fake Doctorate degree from an online "school" in Pakistan and always professionally referred to himself as "Dr.' because of it. 

I don't put much stock into 'search firms'

35 minutes ago, OB4AU said:

Venables was never a serious candidate. Let's stay focused.

As much of a candidate as Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley 😂

19 minutes ago, AU-Allen said:

You guys about ready to accept Art Briles? LOL, desperate enough yet? 

Art Briles wouldnt be desperation it would be immediate contention.

The Baylor situation isnt as the media played it out. Read the recent report by that Baylor Lawyer. 

Baylor officials have gone on the record saying Briles did NONE of what he was accused of.  

THE MORE YOU KNOW

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

To be fair, Tommy Tuberville was going to have to be carried out of Oxford in a pine box, and we remember how that one turned out. 

Unless he’s signed to an insane buyout, it’s not completely over until we’ve hired someone.

Manny Diaz at Miami waves and says 

giphy (1).gif

It appears that after about 350 pages, people just become largely disinterested in the topic being discussed. This was all a scientific experiment to see how message board fans would react.  We actually hired Lincoln Meyer days ago.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

The Baylor situation isnt as the media played it out. Read the recent report by that Baylor Lawyer. 

Baylor officials have gone on the record saying Briles did NONE of what he was accused of.  

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Perception is reality though. Not worth the reputation hit here. Media already raked AU over the coals for paying $21mil to fire a decent coach in the middle of a pandemic when most athletic departments are cutting jobs and making pay cuts. 

Besides, why did he recently resign from his High School job if it appears he didn't have another one lined up yet? 

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

It appears that after about 350 pages, people just become largely disinterested in the topic being discussed. This was all a scientific experiment to see how message board fans would react.  We actually hired Lincoln Meyer days ago.

This is totally making me lose my faith in my 450 page guess

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

THE MORE YOU KNOW

I hear ya. I feel ya. And if it were just a media/image issue I would be all on board... But wouldn't such a move practically invite the NCAA to build a satellite office on Samford Rd?

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Perception is reality though. Not worth the reputation hit here. Media already raked AU over the coals for paying $21mil to fire a decent coach in the middle of a pandemic when most athletic departments are cutting jobs and making pay cuts. 

Besides, why did he recently resign from his High School job if it appears he didn't have another one lined up yet? 

Too late 

And the media already hates us. 

We should hire the best coach available optics be damned

Edit.

I assume he knew colleges would come calling now that his role in the situation was Proven that he was unfairly terminated.

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You ever actually interviewed people for jobs?  An official typed out, signable offer is typically only made if you know the guy is going to accept.

This is true.

But with coaches, there are terms agreed to in principal at first, followed by an announcement, and then there are details worked out, and then the final contract is signed.

Usually a memorandum of understanding is signed which governs the interim period until the final contract is signed.

But yes, you don't have both side's lawyers agree to the terms of an  memorandum of understanding, and general expected terms of the final contract, unless you know the guy is going to accept.

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I hear ya. I feel ya. And if it were just a media/image issue I would be all on board... But wouldn't such a move practically invite the NCAA to build a satellite office on Samford Rd?

No. That would be if we hired Freeze.

Again, read the recent reports from the baylor lawyer. Ill find a good link and post it

On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Being Considered:

Neal Brown (WVU HC) - supposedly interviewed but haven't heard a single update 

Out

Mario Cristobal (OR HC) - PAC12 delayed talks, Oregon rushed an extension, Allen Greene was ready to fight but the boosters were not.

Lane Kiffin (OM OC) - never considered due to character issues and tendency to leave programs. Mentioned as a favorite among players. 

Hugh Freeze (LIB HC) - considered Rane's original #1 but immediately deemed too risky. 

Tony Elliott (CL OC) - never interviewed. Either he knew Auburn didn't consider him a real candidate or there may have been bad blood with when Auburn leaked his interview (right before their conference championship) 

Steve Sarkisian (AL OC) - stated his terms and lost almost all momentum. Wanted Gus money, 5 years, 75% buyout. I'm told Auburn scoffed at the buyout and Sark scoffed at the lack of autonomy (a theme).

Billy Napier (LA HC) - considered favorite at one point, seemed ready to sign, all signs pointed to an announcement. Declined when told he didn't have autonomy. 

Kevin Steele (AU DC) - the word is Allen Greene hasn't let him interview. Regardless, he's dropped out for now... still seems to be working towards staying as a DC 

Bill Clark (UAB HC) - became defacto leading candidate when there was essentially no one else. Interviewed really well. Wasn't given autonomy either and dipped.

Brent Venables (CL DC) - staying at Clemson

*FWIW Greene has reportedly taken over the search. No clue how much he controls and if he can finally offer autonomy*

I think either we get a whole new batch of candidates or we revisit Cristobal & Napier with better offers. Kiffin and Freeze may get some consideration if the struggles continue. None of the above names will come without autonomy. 

Random list of people we might consider based purely off the top of my head: 

Fickell, Campbell, Huepel, Harsin, and Chadwell come to mind from the G5 teams.

What is the knock on Huepel if anything?

1 hour ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Why not really unload the cash truck and hire the best? 

And...you know...get your name on a new football facilities complex.

7 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Reputation hit? Are you kidding me right now? What's going on currently is a much bigger issue publicly than giving a coach a 2nd chance. 

@JBiGGiE

Ok so I know footballscoop.com is as reliable as snopes.com or wiki HOWEVER the important part is at the bottom. The article talks about the report, but the actual report is below the article. You can easily view it

https://footballscoop.com/news/new-investigation-re-examines-baylors-dismissal-of-art-briles/

5 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Usually a memorandum of understanding is signed which governs the interim period until the final contract is signed.

This didnt do much for Arkansas last year. They had Kiffen sign a memorandum of understanding (said various Arkansas posters.) But until that contract is signed and a coach is announced, those things only hold as much value as "TP for your Bunghole." 

DrwcQ3h.gif

Archived