Dear Coach Flo (merged threads)

Mikey

17 hours ago, AURandy1345162767 said:

Is Joe Ciampi doing anything these days?

@AURandy1345162767 Color guy for AU radio broadcasts. Makes me sick for him having to see this from the one time great product he built.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing streak at 10 now. I wish AG would show some leadership in this situation and can this loser of a Ladies BB coach NOW!!!!

11 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Losing streak at 10 now. I wish AG would show some leadership in this situation and can this loser of a Ladies BB coach NOW!!!!

@PUB78 Gogue's policy is not to allow firings til after a season is over. It's likely out of AG's hands for a few more weeks.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@PUB78 Gogue's policy is not to allow firings til after a season is over. It's likely out of AG's hands for a few more weeks.

Yes, you had mentioned this in an earlier post. I wonder why? As much as I respect Gogue, I can’t believe he would let this embarrassment continue till the bitter end and further demoralize the players and fans.

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Yes, you had mentioned this in an earlier post. I wonder why? As much as I respect Gogue, I can’t believe he would let this embarrassment continue till the bitter end and further demoralize the players and fans.

Really doesn't matter if she is fired now or 3 weeks from now as long as she is fired. The demoralization can't get any lower.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think it is a good Policy but I hope that doesn't mean we are doing nothing behind the scenes. I am not talking something shady like what was done to Tuberville, but solidifying the coaches list we think would be a good fit and that we think might be interested so that once she is fired we don't have to start from square one.

Burned by another transfer out:

After last season, Coach Flo booted three players off the team because, (paraphrased) "While they are scorers, they haven't bought into our defensive philosophy". These players weren't dead weight, they were some fine athletes. One went to Ky, one to Mizzou and one to FSU.

Robyn Benton burned us when we played Kentucky a few games ago. Lauren Hansen burned us when we played Mizzou Sunday. The one I thought was the best of the lot, Erin Howard (former SEC all-academic pick in addition to being a front-line player) transferred to FSU. I don't see her in their stats, so she could be out due to Covid-19 or some other issue, but she was a huge loss for Auburn.

When is enough enough?

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think it is a good Policy but I hope that doesn't mean we are doing nothing behind the scenes. I am not talking something shady like what was done to Tuberville, but solidifying the coaches list we think would be a good fit and that we think might be interested so that once she is fired we don't have to start from square one.

@AuburnNTexas From what we have gathered on ADAG I doubt he's not preparing.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas From what we have gathered on ADAG I doubt he's not preparing.

The biggest mistake he has made since becoming AD is the extension he gave her.  I understand that she was nice to him and his family when they moved to Auburn.  Congratulations on her doing the right thing.  The next argument someone from the AD's office will make is that we owe her too much money.  That argument went out the window long ago.  We had enough money to pay a coaching staff a cumulative $27 million not to coach and enough money to promote a $91 million dollar football facility. We have enough to cover a million bucks to get rid of her.

The program has been in a death spiral for years at this point.  It's time for someone else to get the opportunity to infuse energy into the future. 

52 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The biggest mistake he has made since becoming AD is the extension he gave her.

@AU9377 Pretty sure I’ve told you before that was Leath who gave her that extension not Greene. His hands were tied on that back then. Leath was making the athletic decisions in Greene was his bookkeeper pretty much.

52 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The next argument someone from the AD's office will make is that we owe her too much money.  That argument went out the window long ago.  We had enough money to pay a coaching staff a cumulative $27 million not to coach and enough money to promote a $91 million dollar football facility. We have enough to cover a million bucks to get rid of her

That was never an argument. It was more about is it worth buying her out to make a change giving that amount many people relatively cared about the sport anymore. Now that we’re about to lose all our SEC games this season we don’t have a choice anymore and have to make the move. If women’s basketball moved the financial needle in any way I guarantee you he she would’ve been gone a while ago.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AU9377 Pretty sure I’ve told you before that was Leath who gave her that extension not Greene. His hands were tied on that back then. Leath was making the athletic decisions in Greene was his bookkeeper pretty much.

That was never an argument. It was more about is it worth buying her out to make a change giving that amount many people relatively cared about the sport anymore. Now that we’re about to lose all our SEC games this season we don’t have a choice anymore and have to make the move. If women’s basketball moved the financial needle in any way I guarantee you he she would’ve been gone a while ago.

It doesn't move the needle, but investment needs to be made in an effort to show commitment to women's sports, especially given that we live as though money grows on trees when it comes to revenue generating sports.  Yes, Leath approved the extension, but Greene was on board 100%.  I like AG.  That doesn't change the fact that this extension was a mistake.  Hell, the one she got before the last one was a mistake as well.

14 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

I think we need to give her the resource of Two men and a truck 

That is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks.

On 2/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, AU9377 said:

The biggest mistake he has made since becoming AD is the extension he gave her.  I understand that she was nice to him and his family when they moved to Auburn.  Congratulations on her doing the right thing.  The next argument someone from the AD's office will make is that we owe her too much money.  That argument went out the window long ago.  We had enough money to pay a coaching staff a cumulative $27 million not to coach and enough money to promote a $91 million dollar football facility. We have enough to cover a million bucks to get rid of her.

The program has been in a death spiral for years at this point.  It's time for someone else to get the opportunity to infuse energy into the future. 

You are spot on with your comments.

I don’t think AG had any say during the extension. That was Leath. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I don’t think AG had any say during the extension. That was Leath. 

Per a number of people close to athletics this is correct.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Per a number of people close to athletics this is correct.

You keep setting the record straight, and yet they keep blaming AG over and over again. SMH.

6 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

You keep setting the record straight, and yet they keep blaming AG over and over again. SMH.

Yep! And it’s the last time I’m going to do it… Unless I forget I said this. LOL

9 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

“Per a number of sources” is still a rumor though and we all know that what the rule is here on rumors. Put a linked fact down or it’s not provable. That is the rule here, for most folks it seems. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

“Per a number of sources” is still a rumor though and we all know that what the rule is here on rumors. Put a linked fact down or it’s not provable. That is the rule here, for most folks it seems. 

@NoALtigerI said per a number of people close to athletics not per a number of sources. These are people who have been correct with their info countless times over. As for links to it given it was a good while ago it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack across 3 sites. TBH it's not worth going through all that time & effort just to appease the link mongers.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@NoALtigerI said per a number of people close to athletics not per a number of sources. These are people who have been correct with their info countless times over. As for links to it given it was a good while ago it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack across 3 sites. TBH it's not worth going through all that time & effort just to appease the link mongers.

It really doesn't matter.  Like I said earlier, it isn't an attack against AG.  It has been a couple of years now, but I was told by someone that works in the department that AG wanted to get that extension done at that time in order to package it with the extension that Bruce Pearl was getting.  They could both then be approved at the same time.  Did Leath suggest doing it? Possibly, but he didn't exactly have to strong arm anyone into getting it done.  When AG moved to Auburn, he was also relocating his wife Christy and 3 children. I was told that Terri, having also relocated her young children when moving to Auburn, was very helpful in giving advice when it comes to schools and neighborhoods etc etc.  That is a good thing.  Terri is a good person and I have never argued otherwise.  I am simply pointing out that the relationship that developed aided her in getting that last extension.

In either event, it is now time for her to go home or go coach a team in another conference.  If Leath forced the extension as some suggest, this should be an easy call at the end of the season.  Regardless of how easy it is, it has to be done.  I had a family pack of season tickets for over 15 years.  I let that go a couple of years ago.  It was a useless exercise to get worked up over a program that many had forgotten existed and nobody was willing to change. 

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I don't know which team is worse. Auburn's Women's team or Auburn's men's team.

I can help with that.... the WOMEN'S team.  LOL

16 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I would like to see WBB dropped if there will be no changes made

I can't go that far, but I do completely understand the sentiment.  It is mind numbing to see the indifference some in the athletic department seem to have for the program.  We have had much more success in women's basketball than we have had in softball, yet I talk to people all the time that are concerned about the softball program, while not mentioning the basketball program at all.

Archived