Zac Etheridge for DB Coach

Tony4AU

• ellitor changed the title to Zac Etheridge for DB Coach

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Raise your hand if you saw that one coming ...

I didn’t even know Zac was in coaching, but of course I didn’t know Caddy was either before Gus hired him.

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Well with Mason being a DB coach by trade, perfect opportunity to bring in a young coach.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Also a high energy coach who hates to lose. Would fit well with this staff.

2 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

Hard to see that as a step anywhere but down from McGiff, IMHO. I love that he's an AU man, but he's very much an unknown as a coach and recruiter, whereas McGriff was pretty well known and thought of.

@AUinfusion McGriff staying wasn't much of an option. Just like T-Rob, McGriff wants total control of the DB room. That's not happening under Derek Mason who loves coaching the DBs.

14 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Raise your hand if you saw that one coming ...

No way to prove it, but I have actually been keeping tabs on him ever since he was a GA at Georgia Tech.  I remember the student managers for the football team telling me in 2009 and 2010 he was really good at coaching up the younger players.  

I definitely feel like we should be able to get somebody better, but...alright then 

hard to compare this to a Caddy, just bc Caddy was so good at what he did. Plus his name preceded him when he went into a recruit's home. IDK how Ethridge is going to work 

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUinfusion McGriff staying wasn't much of an option. Just like T-Rob, McGriff wants total control of the DB room. That's not happening under Derek Mason who loves coaching the DBs.

So is that why we couldnt make T-Rob work? I'm sad to hear that 

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I definitely feel like we should be able to get somebody better, but...alright then 

hard to compare this to a Caddy, just bc Caddy was so good at what he did. Plus his name preceded him when he went into a recruit's home. IDK how Ethridge is going to work 

See TWILL....

As pointed out before, Mason is one of the better DB coaches in the league. If Etheridge comes in hungry,  man what a great mentor to learn from. Great programs not only hire great coaches, they groom them as well. Couldn't say that before with Gus, but we have some excellent mentors on staff to mold the young coaches. Jmho.

18 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No way to prove it, but I have actually been keeping tabs on him ever since he was a GA at Georgia Tech.  I remember the student managers for the football team telling me in 2009 and 2010 he was really good at coaching up the younger players.  

He was definitely a team leader. Hopefully that carries over to being a good coach.

5 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

As pointed out before, Mason is one of the better DB coaches in the league. If Etheridge comes in hungry,  man what a great mentor to learn from. Great programs not only hire great coaches, they groom them as well. Couldn't say that before with Gus, but we have some excellent mentors on staff to mold the young coaches. Jmho.

I think we groomed Kodi into an ace recruiter. The verdict is out on the recruiting ability. Caddy probably had it before he came here, but he was an ace recruiter and beloved positionally, and appeared to be a star in the making. Travis was groomed here. Lashlee got his P5 big break here, although you could contend SMU is where he showed he was the man. There might be a couple other guys I'm not remembering, but those guys are all gonna be beloved recruiters

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Travis spent like 4 years doing grunt work at Auburn (combined) before getting a positional job here 

Yes...stepped up from grunt to Coach. Zac has actually been getting paid by several schools and has done his grunt work as well. I don't see the issue with bringing him in to work under an experienced DB Coordinator as TWILL was with working under Steele, who was a linebacker coach by trade. I'm not saying I wouldn't have preferred someone else(TRob, Crime, etc.), but apparently they weren't interested in working under Mason and I'm sure that Mason will improve Zac's skill set. Look at Zac's resume. It's short, but good.

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So is that why we couldnt make T-Rob work? I'm sad to hear that 

@Dual-Threat RigbyYup. He wants a quicker path to being a DC again & as of now he sees having the whole room at Miami as a quicker path.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So then we need Zach to be able to recruit, inspire, and make game day adjustments?

1 minute ago, GAAubie said:

Yes...stepped up from grunt to Coach. Zac has actually been getting paid by several schools and has done his grunt work as well. I don't see the issue with bringing him in to work under an experienced DB Coordinator as TWILL was with working under Steele, who was a linebacker coach by trade. I'm not saying I wouldn't have preferred someone else(TRob, Crime, etc.), but apparently they weren't interested in working under Mason and I'm sure that Mason will improve Zac's skill set. Look at Zac's resume. It's short, but good.

all im saying is its not an exact comparison. Ethridge could end up being a HOFer, but as of right now, I don't think he's anywhere near as accredited for the position as T-Will. Not saying it's bad or good, it just is

Just now, AUinfusion said:

So then we need Zach to be able to recruit, inspire, and make game day adjustments?

Recruit & inspire yes. I expect Mason to make the gameday adjustments.

Archived