Pegues moves to DT

Maverick.AU

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Question answered. The rest of this has been discussed to death, and literally nobody wants me talking about it anymore. Last word yours.

I couldn't even see the argument. Using stats in an offense when you didn't even target tight end's proves what exactly? 

I felt like he actually agreed with you

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Is it really that upsetting to consider that Pegues would've been a good TE for us?

I definitely think he was a good addition to the room and potentially the most well rounded of the room...I just think he had a bigger team impact on DL and definitely a better opportunity to set his future up.

The one thing that needs to be mentioned amongst the discussion is that Pegues has shown a high football IQ, while there were injuries in the TE room, he earned his playing time by being prepared and physically ready to play the position.  And yes, I know this was a Gus Malzahn simplistic offense, so save the comments!!!

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

The one thing that needs to be mentioned amongst the discussion is that Pegues has shown a high football IQ, while there were injuries in the TE room, he earned his playing time by being prepared and physically ready to play the position.  And yes, I know this was a Gus Malzahn simplistic offense, so save the comments!!!

I should have factored that in previously when voicing my questions (and arguing with you and others) about whether or not he'd be able to get up to speed with technical stuff on defense. It's what makes him special on offense, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to figure out how to play defense. You actually just gave me even more optimism for the move.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I should have factored that in previously when voicing my questions (and arguing with you and others) about whether or not he'd be able to get up to speed with technical stuff on defense. It's what makes him special on offense, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to figure out how to play defense. You actually just gave me even more optimism for the move.

From watching him play the thing to watch for to see if he'll be that guy or not is can he do the stuff he does athletically with guys hanging on to him. 

I think it's a mental thing but some people can have problems being explosive when crowded or during contact

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

From watching him play the thing to watch for to see if he'll be that guy or not is can he do the stuff he does athletically with guys hanging on to him. 

I think it's a mental thing but some people can have problems being explosive when crowded or during contact

Great point. Hopefully him being that "whatever I'm asked to do" kind of guy means that he won't get frustrated by that. 

(Now I'm just gonna sit here for a few minutes and think about how Derrick Brown got double-teamed and double-held on almost every snap for 4 years and never complained, just dominated.)

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Great point. Hopefully him being that "whatever I'm asked to do" kind of guy means that he won't get frustrated by that. 

(Now I'm just gonna sit here for a few minutes and think about how Derrick Brown got double-teamed and double-held on almost every snap for 4 years and never complained, just dominated.)

Yeah, he just worked harder the next play to overcome the holds and make a play!

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Yeah, he just worked harder the next play to overcome the holds and make a play!

Easily a top-5 all time Auburn guy for me. As in, he's all 5 of them. He's a big dude. 

30 minutes ago, toddc said:

@McLoofussee that explosive word? I like the sound of that! Man I should be paid for this. I'm going to start my own stuff up. You can be my right hand man, and we're going to make some money off of this!

My take is that Pegues has the athleticism to be a very good to great TE, but I felt like to really maximize his potential in that role, he needed to drop some weight.  He's listed at 285, probably was in the 290s or so.  I'd want him down around 265-270 at TE.

But I really do think he could be a force on the DL.  His agility and athleticism for his size could make him a nightmare to block. I like the move.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

My take is that Pegues has the athleticism to be a very good to great TE, but I felt like to really maximize his potential in that role, he needed to drop some weight.  He's listed at 285, probably was in the 290s or so.  I'd want him down around 265-270 at TE.

But I really do think he could be a force on the DL.  His agility and athleticism for his size could make him a nightmare to block. I like the move.

He was 308 at the start of spring.

12 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Am I selfish for hoping we still get a JJ Pegues direct snap package?

No. And I think you will. Irony of ironies, he's probably the closest thing we've got to Cam Newton when it comes to short yardage options. 

Archived