Pegues moves to DT

Maverick.AU

TE/HB types are easy to find. DT's, not so easy. The guy was not going to win any Mackey awards at TE. He could possibly become an All-SEC DT for us. The move makes sense.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Reminds me of Jay Ratliff— recruited as a TE, moved to DE then DT. He just came with the weight already.

Great example

On 4/10/2021 at 2:54 PM, Maverick.AU said:

Posted it in another thread but figured I’d make it its own. I think the injury to Wright probably prompted this move. I do hope we still get to see him sometimes on O though, but I think he excels at DT

His potential of being an All-American and him buying in on being moved promoted this. Was being discussed before Wright went down. The injury did have a fact in his decision I'm sure, team player. 

He tore it up on the DL over the weekend. BTW. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

His potential of being an All-American and him buying in on being moved promoted this. Was being discussed before Wright went down. The injury did have a fact in his decision I'm sure, team player. 

can you give us an overview of what you have heard? i heard bo is doing well but i am concerned.not mentioned by name but it seems some of our qb's are having trouble with taking the snap under center. i would appreciate anything ya got.

I'll be interested to see what he looks like in August.  He never really had a body of a TE, but he wasn't working out to be a DT either.  He's 308 now, I wouldn't be surprised if he was 320 and still pretty lean looking

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I would love to see some packages with him on offense though like Ole Miss used Nkemdiche.

JJ was by far our best blocking skill position player last year. Hoping he lines up at FB when we are under center or different packages. His blocking is top notch. 

13 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

JJ was by far our best blocking skill position player last year. Hoping he lines up at FB when we are under center or different packages. His blocking is top notch. 

Not picking on you here- but was he really that good or was he just HUGE and moving full speed? I don't know anything about technique but it seems to me that a guy like him just has to be in the right place and he'll throw a devastating block

24 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

a guy like him just has to be in the right place and he'll throw a devastating block

Isn’t that true for anyone who’s a blocker? I now what you meant but he was devastating people with some of the blocks he threw. Having said that I believe he’ll thrive on D. What a coach to have here to teach him in coach Eason! Dang I’m getting excited for this now.

55 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I honestly don't.  He'd be a gimmick.  Dude needs to spending some quality 1 on 1 time learning how to be a DL in the SEC.  We've got guys who can block.

And Deal (86) was our best blocking player last year.  He dominated kids

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He'd be a gimmick.  Dude needs to spending some quality 1 on 1 time learning how to be a DL in the SEC.  We've got guys who can block.

And Deal (86) was our best blocking player last year.

1. Is it a gimmick if it works? People said that about KJ running the WC in goal line situations, but he was practically automatic so I never understood the emotions. Was Cam a gimmick in short yardage situations?

2. Agree that Pegues needs to focus on learning his new trade, but I doubt much time or coaching is needed at this point to work him in for some offensive packages. His whole thing is that they could plug him in anywhere on offense. TE, FB, RB, WC QB... he's done it all. 

3. I've heard @bigbird say the same thing enough times that I believe it. He's probably another big reason why this move was able to happen. Will be interesting to see if Deal lines up in the backfield much. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Is it a gimmick if it works? People said that about KJ running the WC in goal line situations, but he was practically automatic so I never understood the emotions. Was Cam a gimmick in short yardage situations?

2. Agree that Pegues needs to focus on learning his new trade, but I doubt much time or coaching is needed at this point to work him in for some offensive packages. His whole thing is that they could plug him in anywhere on offense. TE, FB, RB, WC QB... he's done it all. 

3. I've heard @bigbird say the same thing enough times that I believe it. He's probably another big reason why this move was able to happen. Will be interesting to see if Deal lines up in the backfield much. 

It's still a gimmick and takes time away from practicing on the DL.  it's not a position he's got a lot of SEC experience.  It's not just another formation with an offensive player.

If you want him as the FB in on the 1, OK.  But he's not going to be able to have a role in all those position you mentioned without ample practice time.

Deal was an elite blocker last year.  Watch Bigsby's highlights and Deal constantly destroys folks.  He's an elite blocker and does more than just be a big body and blow guys up.  He looks like he's too thin, but I'd love to see him as an OT

52 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I wouldn't say Bo has done well

Would you say any other QB has done better?  I know that is a big ask.

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's still a gimmick and takes time away from practicing on the DL. 

I dunno. I don't think of it as a gimmick if it has real utility.

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

But he's not going to be able to have a role in all those position you mentioned without ample practice time.

Oh, absolutely not. I only mention that to point out that the kid probably doesn't need a ton of reps to get it right if he's been that versatile throughout his career. I mean, he *just* moved to DL and people are already raving about his performance. Some athletes just step up and do it. Sounds like he's one of them, and his resume suggests that they can use him in offensive packages and even work in some pass plays for him without taking up much of his time at all. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno. I don't think of it as a gimmick if it has real utility.

Oh, absolutely not. I only mention that to point out that the kid probably doesn't need a ton of reps to get it right if he's been that versatile throughout his career. I mean, he *just* moved to DL and people are already raving about his performance. Some athletes just step up and do it. Sounds like he's one of them, and his resume suggests that they can use him in offensive packages and even work in some pass plays for him without taking up much of his time at all. 

I think its the right move.  Let him focus there before trying to put too much on his plate.  It's not just one position, but it's all the calls, maybe audibles.  More goes into it than run through this hole and block someone, IMO.  
To me it's not a critical role to take time away from development in his new position

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I wouldn't say Bo has done well

well has he done bad? i know there have been qb center problems and a few interceptions as well. what are you hearing golfster?

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It's still a gimmick and takes time away from practicing on the DL.  it's not a position he's got a lot of SEC experience.  It's not just another formation with an offensive player.

If you want him as the FB in on the 1, OK.  But he's not going to be able to have a role in all those position you mentioned without ample practice time.

Deal was an elite blocker last year.  Watch Bigsby's highlights and Deal constantly destroys folks.  He's an elite blocker and does more than just be a big body and blow guys up.  He looks like he's too thin, but I'd love to see him as an OT

maybe deal has put on weight since the new staff arrived?

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well has he done bad? 

Not exactly bad, but not where everyone wanted him to be.

@WarDamnEagleWDE mentioned "bad habits".  I've heard, "inconsistent". TIFWIW

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well has he done bad? i know there have been qb center problems and a few interceptions as well. what are you hearing golfster?

If you want to know where Bo is at you should just think about all the things I've been trying to tell everybody from the get go.

There is still hope for him but there's a bunch of stuff that has to be corrected. Then after that stuff is corrected other things has to be worked on. His problems are much bigger than all he has to do is fix his foot work what I've seen many say. And I've seen a few all he needs is to go through a summer with a coach....it's going to be more than that too. And of course it's much more than it's the o line if he had a better o line he'd be great.

It will take some time. There's no easy fix to the issues he was having.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

People said that about KJ running the WC

Thanks for that reminder. I just wet myself a little with the excitement of knowing we probably won't see that formation again for a long time! And I hope we don't use JJ as a ball carrier/receiver in any situations. He needs to be hitting people, not getting hit.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not exactly bad, but not where everyone wanted him to be.

@WarDamnEagleWDE mentioned "bad habits".  I've heard, "inconsistent". TIFWIW

Where did we really hear about the bad habits first though???? 

This will be all of my Bo nix for a while though. But while everybody get their I told you so 's in let's not forget this one....I was an idiot for trying to explain to people what was happening as far as the QB went.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

can you give us an overview of what you have heard? i heard bo is doing well but i am concerned.not mentioned by name but it seems some of our qb's are having trouble with taking the snap under center. i would appreciate anything ya got.

I'm told Bo has been struggling. OL is awful. Not sure how much AU is really doing besides Harsin and staff just going old school to see what they have and who they have. Much of the practices have been open so a lot is out for everyone to see. 

Archived