Brooklyn Center city manager fired following police shooting of Daunte Wright

Auburnfan91

Brooklyn Center city manager fired following police shooting of Daunte Wright

BY MYCHAEL SCHNELL - 04/12/21 08:05 PM EDT

The city manager of Brooklyn Center, Minn., was fired on Monday, the day after the fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright.

Mayor Mike Elliott announced Curt Boganey was relieved of his duties effectively immediately.

“Effective immediately our city manager has been relieved of his duties, and the deputy city manager will be assuming his duties moving forward,” Elliott wrote in a statement on Twitter.

“I will continue to work my hardest to ensure good leadership at all levels of our city government,” he continued.

Boganey appeared alongside Elliott at a press conference earlier Monday in which the city manager, who oversaw the firing of officers, said it was too soon to talk of terminating the police officer involved and that "employees are entitled to due process."

Boganey's firing came just after Elliott announced that the city council passed a motion to give his office police department command following the growing unrest over Wright’s shooting.

Earlier in the day, police released body camera footage of a Brooklyn Center officer fatally shooting 20-year-old Wright, a Black man, at a traffic stop.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said it appears that the officer who shot Wright meant to deploy a taser but mistakenly pulled her gun instead.

The footage shows Wright, at a traffic stop, trying to get back into his car while two officers attempt to place handcuffs on him.

Wright was initially pulled over for expired license tags, but after obtaining his ID, officers realized there was an outstanding warrant out for his arrest.

An officer can be heard shouting “Tase him” multiple times in the footage after Wright gets back into his car's driver's seat. In the video, an officer points a gun at Wright as he grabs the steering wheel and shouts “s***” and then appears to drop the handgun.

The officer then can be heard saying, "I just shot him."

Protests over Wright's death erupted overnight in Minnesota.

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump announced on Monday that he will represent Wright’s family.

Crump also represents the family of George Floyd, who died last May after former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin kneeled on his neck for more than eight minutes during an arrest. Chauvin’s murder trial began its third week on Monday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/547827-brooklyn-center-city-manager-fired-following-police-shooting-of-daunte-wright

Kim Potter, the Brooklyn Center, Minn., police officer who shot and killed Daunte Wright, has resigned. Potter had served 26 years on the force before the fatal encounter Sunday where officials said she mistakenly fired her handgun instead of her Taser.

Police Chief Tim Gannon, who on Monday released the body camera footage and characterized the shooting as an "accidental discharge," has also stepped down.

"We're hoping that we're turning over a new leaf now," Elliott said.

Potter, who had previously served as president of the local police union and whose duties included training other officers, had initially been placed on administrative leave, but pressure had grown from community members to fire her. Critics had raised questions of how someone responsible for police training could have mistaken a Taser for a handgun.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/13/986866106/brooklyn-center-police-chief-and-officer-who-shot-daunte-wright-resign

The fact that she trained police officers doesn’t mean she is perfect at her job only that when in a dynamic situation she didn’t remember what she taught.  I am only a layman when it comes to police policy and procedures, but I do believe it was an accidental shooting only by the fact she said “Taser” and only fired one shot.  There have been plenty of police shooting where we have witnessed the police shooting multiple rounds until the suspect is rendered incapable of harming anyone.  She just fired that one round.

The narrative is already getting out of hand.  Due process is a wonderful thing, but it takes time to sort out and we are not that patient anymore.

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The fact that she trained police officers doesn’t mean she is perfect at her job only that when in a dynamic situation she didn’t remember what she taught.  I am only a layman when it comes to police policy and procedures, but I do believe it was an accidental shooting only by the fact she said “Taser” and only fired one shot.  There have been plenty of police shooting where we have witnessed the police shooting multiple rounds until the suspect is rendered incapable of harming anyone.  She just fired that one round.

The narrative is already getting out of hand.  Due process is a wonderful thing, but it takes time to sort out and we are not that patient anymore.

Prosecutors just said She's going to be charged with 2nd degree manslaughter, which at least to me seems appropriate. 

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

She's just been charged with 2nd degree manslaughter, which at least to me seems appropriate. 

I agree, she definitely wasn’t going to get away unscathed.  I would think it would be better to make a plea of guilty and not let this linger.

So much for “due process “.

No, that is what the city manager said. Let’s get all the facts first, but the “woke” mayor, city council and MSM didn’t agree.

I got to ask, what was sssooo important that she was sssooo upset that they get this kid that she forgot 26 years of training and fired a gun rather than a taser?

Think on that for a while aaannnddd I bet we find a racial angle in all this before long.

12 hours ago, PUB78 said:

No, that is what the city manager said. Let’s get all the facts first, but the “woke” mayor, city council and MSM didn’t agree.

Eh, I think the smart decision was to let her go ASAP because of just how obvious of a mistake it was. There's a freaking public video of her accidently shooting a guy to death due to negligence …I don't know what further investigations or due process needed to take place here to justify firing her. 

Nothing 'Woke' about making an obvious, common sense decision when the situation called for it. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Eh, I think the smart decision was to let her go ASAP because of just how obvious of a mistake it was. There's a freaking public video of her accidently shooting a guy to death due to negligence …I don't know what further investigations or due process needed to take place here to justify firing her. 

Nothing 'Woke' about making an obvious, common sense decision when the situation called for it. 

Have you ever been in a similar situation? Well, I have.

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I got to ask, what was sssooo important that she was sssooo upset that they get this kid that she forgot 26 years of training and fired a gun rather than a taser?

Think on that for a while aaannnddd I bet we find a racial angle in all this before long.

What was important is that Daunte had an outstanding warrant and he was fleeing an arrest.  I can see questioning why she didn’t anticipate his fleeing and was caught by surprise and when that happens your brain has to catch up to what is happening.  When this happens, the brain can misfire and you do stuff you normally wouldn’t do.  If she had anticipated the resisting arrest things might have gone differently. 

The media and BLM will definitely look for a racial angle as they did with Derek Chauvin, but the prosecution hasn’t really played that up in the Chauvin trial.

Well, Potter knew he had a warrant out for him. She should have seen him fleeing being a normal thing. What was the warrant for? FTA.

So you pull a kid over for a traffic stop for expired registration AND you find a warrant for him on FTA, and the kid leaves dead? Someone tell me how this is professional?

16 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Well, Potter knew he had a warrant out for him. She should have seen him fleeing being a normal thing. What was the warrant for? FTA.

So you pull a kid over for a traffic stop for expired registration AND you find a warrant for him on FTA, and the kid leaves dead? Someone tell me how this is professional?

What were the cops supposed to do (other than shoot the kid)?  I’ve been stopped for speeding and it takes a while for the cop to exit his car as he is running my plates.  Normal.  They find an outstanding warrant on Wright, so there is only one professional thing to do, arrest him.

The flash point came when Daunte decided to resist arrest and run.  As I said earlier, she should have anticipated this, but the onus for that decision lies squarely on Daunte.  If he doesn’t run, he is alive today.

She has been charged and will have her day in court.

You dont use deadly force on a FTA Warrant. Half of America would be dead by now.

I know she says she screwed up, but...her screwup cost a young man his life. over a FTA Warrant....

They could have just let him go for another day at this point.

6 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

You dont use deadly force on a FTA Warrant. Half of America would be dead by now.

I know she says she screwed up, but...her screwup cost a young man his life. over a FTA Warrant....

They could have just let him go for another day at this point.

Do cops have autonomy over which warrants they enforce?

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do cops have autonomy over which warrants they enforce?

They can make judgment calls on any number of things. I am, sure they didnt think it would end in any harm, but you dont pull a weapon, even like a taser for a FTA Warrant. Thats a misdemeanor and nothing more. 

Archived