2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Where is the westry at point talk is coming from?

Ellitor had that info from somewhere.  But what are your thoughts on him running Point?

28 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Ellitor had that info from somewhere.  But what are your thoughts on him running Point?

I'm going off of nothing but film of him playing in high school and AAU, but I don't see any PG traits. I see he has a nice handle but I have no doubt that he's a scorer thru and thru. 

All of his moves are to score or create space for himself. If he plays point it will be having the rest of the guards we've had, nobody really trying to create for others really. 

I'll try to find recent video but he's very quick but he doesn't seem to be an explosive leaper. He's an attack the rim, apply pressure type of guy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Where is the westry at point talk is coming from?

From a couple places. Mainly Bruce Pearl who said recently that Westry could play the 1, 2 and 3 (see 2nd link below). And also people have been getting excited about Hoke's tweet showing some of Westry's ballhandling skills (link below).

But I agree based on this very limited video that he looks more like a score 1st combo guard than a true PG type facilitator. But he also looks like he could run the pick & roll or drive & kick at times when Green is on the bench. At times last year, it felt like we needed a taller ball handler; the Miami & Arkansas games come to mind. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

From a couple places. Mainly Bruce Pearl who said recently that Westry could play the 1, 2 and 3 (see 2nd link below). And also people have been getting excited about Hoke's tweet showing some of Westry's ballhandling skills (link below).

But I agree based on this very limited video that he looks more like a score 1st combo guard than a true PG type facilitator. But he also looks like he could run the pick & roll or drive & kick at times when Green is on the bench. At times last year, it felt like we needed a taller ball handler; the Miami & Arkansas games come to mind. 

I just logged on and saw the facepalm reaction to a post I made about something both the head coach and an AUFamily MOD had talked about happening, and before I bothered to go digging up my response to the OG Auburn Basketball Guru, you did it for me. Kudos.

As for what type of PG he would/will be, yeah, he's definitely a score-first guy, but there's something to be said for having that on your team. I LOVE Wendell Green at point, because he reminds me somewhat of Jared Harper (especially the way he launches threes from 25-30 feet and makes them with a semblance of regularity), but having a guy Westry's size with a nose for the rim is the biggest piece we were missing last season, IMHO.

Maybe I'm getting my hopes up a little too much about his ability to play the point, I don't know.

• Thanks 2

I'm going off of nothing but film of him playing in high school and AAU, but I don't see any PG traits. I see he has a nice handle but I have no doubt that he's a scorer thru and thru. 

All of his moves are to score or create space for himself. If he plays point it will be having the rest of the guards we've had, nobody really trying to create for others really. 

I'll try to find recent video but he's very quick but he doesn't seem to be an explosive leaper. He's an attack the rim, apply pressure type of guy. 

I do like his height but maybe he would do a little in that big lineup that could run for small stretches. Do wish we could see more on his skills as a facilitator. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I do like his height but maybe he would do a little in that big lineup that could run for small stretches. Do wish we could see more on his skills as a facilitator. 

Just saw this video with some nice passes starting after the 0:49 and 1:20 marks.  

https://m.facebook.com/TheBrantleyMethod/videos/elite-ep-2-chance-westry-interviewhighlights-with-espn-32-ranked-player-in-the-c/1128627600994213/

Edit: And this one too. He's No. 11. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I just logged on and saw the facepalm reaction to a post I made about something both the head coach and an AUFamily MOD had talked about happening, and before I bothered to go digging up my response to the OG Auburn Basketball Guru, you did it for me. Kudos.

As for what type of PG he would/will be, yeah, he's definitely a score-first guy, but there's something to be said for having that on your team. I LOVE Wendell Green at point, because he reminds me somewhat of Jared Harper (especially the way he launches threes from 25-30 feet and makes them with a semblance of regularity), but having a guy Westry's size with a nose for the rim is the biggest piece we were missing last season, IMHO.

Maybe I'm getting my hopes up a little too much about his ability to play the point, I don't know.

No. It would be nice to see him be successful at the point for 2 reasons.

1. our short guards had trouble down the SEC stretch and in NCAA getting smothered by bigger guards causing turnovers and clock management issues w Wendell.
2. If he does have good mobility I would like to see more penetration than we got out of Zep and with Wendell down the stretch. 

hopefully the 2 vet pgs will watch film and find ways to overcome those issues but you’re fine hoping for a little help from a taller Pg.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what makes me think he can play pg. I've posted it before:

From NBAdraftroom.com

Chance Westry is a big combo guard with great ball handing, creativity, and a deep bag. He can play off the ball as needed and is a versatile player but is at his best breaking down the defense with the ball in his hands.

He’s great at penetrating the lane, collapsing the defense and dishing to teammates. He’s got special passing ability, quick, on point and perfectly timed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lol, this guy is so funny.......biggest hypocrite on this board hands down. 

But anyway, because we were so weak at the point I can see him getting time, and because I know how Pearl really likes having a big point I could see him getting time.....but based on his film he's not a natural point, he's a natural scorer.

I told everybody we were weak at our guard positions and we need to get better and that made so many people mad to the point where you can see it has carried over to now. And what happened? Our guards were outplayed in the tournament. 

Don't go off hype, go off film. But I guess I'm going to get bullied when I post because a mod is insecure for whatever reason

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rednilla said:

before I bothered to go digging up my response to the OG Auburn Basketball Guru, you did it for me.

That is very kind of you to say about me.  Thank you, I have been working out.

friday-royalty.gif

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol, this guy is so funny.......biggest hypocrite on this board hands down. 

I'm confused, Cole.  It looks like that was directed at me.  Could you elaborate on that?

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm confused, Cole.  It looks like that was directed at me.  Could you elaborate on that?

Not at all. You wouldn't ever have to worry about me insulting you in any kind of way, if you didn't insult me first. That's not how I get down. 

Keep posting! I like the stuff you say, even if I disagree I like having the conversations

Edited by cole256
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

No, it was directed at me. Nothing for you to worry over.

And Cole, no offense brother, but you do seem to think a lot of your own opinion about basketball. That's not entirely undeserved, but you facepalm me for pointing out that the analytics are down on Zep as an ideal solution offensively at PG, for suggesting something that Bruce Pearl and, as the evidence has come forward, pro scouts think about Chance is realistic (Westry's ability to play the point), or both.

I mean, do please forgive me for feeling like you're just saying I don't know what I'm talking about and you're the definitive authority on the subject.

• Thanks 3

I’d love if Westry could be a Jaden Ivey type and have some glimpses of playmaking just off the supreme amount of pressure he puts as a shot creator 

I think we needed a legit play maker more last year, with how many dudes needed to be set up. There’s less of those in the rotation; however, it’s still dependent on our scheme. If it’s just our lead wing guys get 95% of the ball handling, then yes, we need a supreme facilitator 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

No, it was directed at me. Nothing for you to worry over.

And Cole, no offense brother, but you do seem to think a lot of your own opinion about basketball. That's not entirely undeserved, but you facepalm me for pointing out that the analytics are down on Zep as an ideal solution offensively at PG, for suggesting something that Bruce Pearl and, as the evidence has come forward, pro scouts think about Chance is realistic (Westry's ability to play the point), or both.

I mean, do please forgive me for feeling like you're just saying I don't know what I'm talking about and you're the definitive authority on the subject.

You have face palmed me many of times.....If it's not a big deal for you to do it, then it shouldn't be a big deal for me.

Now every time I post you keep saying the same thing over and over, you seem to have a problem that I get respect from some on this board and sometimes people ask me my opinion. I post no different than anybody else. You don't have any evidence of me saying my opinion is more than anybody else.

Also you keep posting on here so you have to have some feeling that your opinion is needed, which everybody on here should. 

The funny thing is you and a couple of others have problems when someone disagrees with you. I love to debate. The difference is if you say something and I disagree it's a problem. If I say something and you disagree and I reply back you have a problem with that too. It seems like you are the one who thinks they are some definitive authority.

All your passive aggressive stuff shows. But once again you can't find me ever saying my voice is the only one that counts. I'm actually one of the few that don't take stuff personal and have no problem explaining my thoughts. 

The problem is if some people  should be a mod especially in the basketball forum I would one but since I'm not I guess some get intimidated because I have a bunch of experience as far as basketball. Everybody else is celebrated though. This is what I get. 

One thing I love about forums though....everything is recorded, it's in black and white, you don't have to like me or agree with me or whatever, you can't take away that I give good takes and have insight though. But your little jabs like the guru and subject matter expert, that's just something you're saying though. You can't back that up. You are still hurt from that one exchange we had that had nothing to do with you. Before that we didn't even talk to each other. 

But anyway 😂 nothing changes as far as film goes he's a scorer more than anything. If CBP use him at point in my opinion he'll be used like Pearl used Chris Lofton at Tennessee. Who was listed as a point but he was the point like AI was a point but he was really the scoring guard. And hey that might be what we need this year. But as far as LAST year we needed a facilitator. Different team I'm sure we'll have different needs.

And I can already tell you right now he will need to get much better and give much better effort on defense. I'm sure that's being instilled in him right now.

Edited by cole256

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You have face palmed me many of times.....If it's not a big deal for you to do it, then it shouldn't be a big deal for me.

Now every time I post you keep saying the same thing over and over, you seem to have a problem that I get respect from some on this board and sometimes people ask me my opinion. I post no different than anybody else. You don't have any evidence of me saying my opinion is more than anybody else.

Also you keep posting on here so you have to have some feeling that your opinion is needed, which everybody on here should. 

The funny thing is you and a couple of others have problems when someone disagrees with you. I love to debate. The difference is if you say something and I disagree it's a problem. If I say something and you disagree and I reply back you have a problem with that too. It seems like you are the one who thinks they are some definitive authority.

All your passive aggressive stuff shows. But once again you can't find me ever saying my voice is the only one that counts. I'm actually one of the few that don't take stuff personal and have no problem explaining my thoughts. 

The problem is if some people  should be a mod especially in the basketball forum I would one but since I'm not I guess some get intimidated because I have a bunch of experience as far as basketball. Everybody else is celebrated though. This is what I get. 

One thing I love about forums though....everything is recorded, it's in black and white, you don't have to like me or agree with me or whatever, you can't take away that I give good takes and have insight though. But your little jabs like the guru and subject matter expert, that's just something you're saying though. You can't back that up. You are still hurt from that one exchange we had that had nothing to do with you. Before that we didn't even talk to each other. 

But anyway 😂 nothing changes as far as film goes he's a scorer more than anything. If CBP use him at point in my opinion he'll be used like Pearl used Chris Lofton at Tennessee. Who was listed as a point but he was the point like AI was a point but he was really the scoring guard. And hey that might be what we need this year. But as far as LAST year we needed a facilitator. Different team I'm sure we'll have different needs.

And I can already tell you right now he will need to get much better and give much better effort on defense. I'm sure that's being instilled in him right now.

I don't remember the particular spat to which you're referring, but I admit that there is something about your manner that is off-putting to me. As far as I can recall, the facepalms I've reacted to your posts with were more because of your attitude than what you had to say. But why did you facepalm my post? I directly asked you that in the comment you were responding to, because I'm trying to figure out if my read on you is right or not.

Of course, you call me passive aggressive while making random comments directed at me but which are so vague that another poster thought you were responding to him. And I'm the hypocrite?

Also, I probably should make this clear, because it probably didn't come across this way: When I alluded to you as the OG Auburn Basketball Guru, it was really meant as a backhanded compliment, because, again, you do seem to know at least something of what you're talking about, but I suspect it was taken as nothing but an allusion to the troll who used that as a handle on here recently.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't remember the particular spat to which you're referring, but I admit that there is something about your manner that is off-putting to me. As far as I can recall, the facepalms I've reacted to your posts with were more because of your attitude than what you had to say. But why did you facepalm my post? I directly asked you that in the comment you were responding to, because I'm trying to figure out if my read on you is right or not.

Of course, you call me passive aggressive while making random comments directed at me but which are so vague that another poster thought you were responding to him. And I'm the hypocrite?

Also, I probably should make this clear, because it probably didn't come across this way: When I alluded to you as the OG Auburn Basketball Guru, it was really meant as a backhanded compliment, because, again, you do seem to know at least something of what you're talking about, but I suspect it was taken as nothing but an allusion to the troll who used that as a handle on here recently.

Lol don't forget as far as hypocrite post that another poster answered that it wasn't directed at him and you yourself knew it was directed to you.....and as far as what you have written to me and your actions on this forum yes you are a huge hypocrite. 

There are many on here that don't care for your attitude either, you need to remember that. It's a forum, if you give opinions that will happen. I have many more friends than people I don't care for on here though. 

And yeah I know your guru reference was you being an a hole, but I don't know anything about troll stuff you are talking about.....and lol at the know at least something comment....you could try as hard as you wanted but there's no way possible you could diminish what I offer on here especially in basketball. If I wanted I could start a blog,b do individual player analysis, coaching analysis, team strengths and weakness breakdowns, draft stock progressions, recruiting grades, and sleeper high school prospects. All which I've done on here already.

Pretty much if you try to pretend that I don't know what I'm talking about it's just going to make yourself look silly. 

Oh and spat you don't remember ended in you trying to imply that I don't have anything the offer as far as real world applications while you pounded your chest on being a writer and you enjoyed mathematics. But I had to let you know how off base you were and that I'm a nuclear engineer and didn't have any interest in playing that game but if we did play you don't son me there either. 

But yeah all this because you don't like when I post and you read a bunch of stuff in between my posts, all because I may have disagreed with you before.....

Imma go through and facepalm all of ya'lls post if you don't stop bickering in the recruiting thread 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

A face palm is just another day to me on here 😂

I'm not bickering I'm just addressing things said to me and then pointing out facts. I have to make sure I don't let people place a restraint such as I can't reply back on me. 

What's up with you though? How have you been?

Lol don't forget as far as hypocrite post that another poster answered that it wasn't directed at him and you yourself knew it was directed to you.....and as far as what you have written to me and your actions on this forum yes you are a huge hypocrite. 

There are many on here that don't care for your attitude either, you need to remember that. It's a forum, if you give opinions that will happen. I have many more friends than people I don't care for on here though. 

And yeah I know your guru reference was you being an a hole, but I don't know anything about troll stuff you are talking about.....and lol at the know at least something comment....you could try as hard as you wanted but there's no way possible you could diminish what I offer on here especially in basketball. If I wanted I could start a blog,b do individual player analysis, coaching analysis, team strengths and weakness breakdowns, draft stock progressions, recruiting grades, and sleeper high school prospects. All which I've done on here already.

Pretty much if you try to pretend that I don't know what I'm talking about it's just going to make yourself look silly. 

Oh and spat you don't remember ended in you trying to imply that I don't have anything the offer as far as real world applications while you pounded your chest on being a writer and you enjoyed mathematics. But I had to let you know how off base you were and that I'm a nuclear engineer and didn't have any interest in playing that game but if we did play you don't son me there either. 

But yeah all this because you don't like when I post and you read a bunch of stuff in between my posts, all because I may have disagreed with you before.....

Nice rant. Apparently I get under your skin even more than you get under mine.

BTW, I'm guessing you just weren't around to see the user, but back when the Phillips kid's recruitment was going heavy we had a troll come on here using the handle AuburnBasketballGuru spouting off, and most of us had a lot of fun at his expense. I'm sorry you missed that, maybe you wouldn't be so upset right now. And don't try to say you're not upset, because you just wrote a long comment in which you called me an a hole and then proceeded to get defensive about how much you know about basketball, despite me making it a point to say that you DO seem to know at least some of what you're talking about when it comes to the sport.

But no, my distaste for your style isn't about disagreeing with you. It's that you're flat out cocky about how much you know, because even when it's true, you give off the impression of thinking it makes you superior to those you are talking to, whether you actually think that or not. Part of the reason I don't like that kind of thing is because it's something I've struggled with, and I don't like it about myself, so it shines out in others.

But sure, go ahead and believe I respond to you the way I do because you've disagreed with me before. Whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Imma go through and facepalm all of ya'lls post if you don't stop bickering in the recruiting thread 😜

Apologies, didn't mean to tie things up.

Don't go using up all your reactions at once, though. Apparently you run out after a while. :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Nice rant. Apparently I get under your skin even more than you get under mine.

BTW, I'm guessing you just weren't around to see the user, but back when the Phillips kid's recruitment was going heavy we had a troll come on here using the handle AuburnBasketballGuru spouting off, and most of us had a lot of fun at his expense. I'm sorry you missed that, maybe you wouldn't be so upset right now. And don't try to say you're not upset, because you just wrote a long comment in which you called me an a hole and then proceeded to get defensive about how much you know about basketball, despite me making it a point to say that you DO seem to know at least some of what you're talking about when it comes to the sport.

But no, my distaste for your style isn't about disagreeing with you. It's that you're flat out cocky about how much you know, because even when it's true, you give off the impression of thinking it makes you superior to those you are talking to, whether you actually think that or not. Part of the reason I don't like that kind of thing is because it's something I've struggled with, and I don't like it about myself, so it shines out in others.

But sure, go ahead and believe I respond to you the way I do because you've disagreed with me before. Whatever.

Lol. Ok. Yeah I'm super upset 😂

Like I said I have no problem explaining my thoughts. I have no control over your insecurities though. If you post hey this guy is great and my reply is no he's not, if thatmakes you say I'm cocky or whatever......oh well. Just don't think I won't notice and bring up when you applaud another guy for saying no he's not or when you actually later down the line tell someone else no he's not when they say somebody is good. 

That's pretty much it

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Ok. Yeah I'm super upset 😂

Nice recovery. I'm not buying it though. You were in full justification mode.

But again, whatever. You do you, brother. And regardless of how I feel about the way you compose yourself sometimes, I do want it noted that I definitely value the knowledge you bring to the board.