2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

I just wanted to explain the facepalm:  It is not for you, but for this staff.

Flip one or two players, sure, but what you suggest they're thinking, no way.

My thoughts, from the outside here in Virginia, is that no matter what these kids say when they leave, they sense this is a complete cluster and that there isn't much of a future with Harsin & Co.

Doesn't help that the NIL has been a scheisse show, either.  That REALLY sends a bad message.

I really don't think these guys get it.

I hope I am wrong.

8 hours ago, au302 said:

I've come to the sobering realization that this staff is not going to take backup targets this summer. I was hoping we'd find a second hidden gem bruiser RB, or go after a raw WR with high upside. Figured we'd fall back and take a developmental QB in Kaden Weisman. Nope, they refuse to give in.

They are going to play the long game and try to flip guys like Rod Robinson the RB, Keyon Brown the WR, and possibly JJ Kohl the QB committed to ISU. Plus all the defensive guys we'll try and flip starting with Faulk.

Personally I'm not a fan of this at all. On one hand I get it because guys like Geffrard and Avery Stuart aren't closing our talent gap with our rivals. On the other hand I know damn well we can't flip this many guys. Not even close.

We are going to have to find some scouting targets this fall. Guys like Enyce Sledge who we found late last year. Like I've said before, this staff has more balls than any I've seen. They're arrogant and likely really stupid, but also got balls. They do not panic and stay true to their boards at all costs.

So get ready for fall camp guys, because all I see for the next month is stories about guys committing elsewhere and us holding firm to play the long game. It is what it is.

• Like 1

Going through the board again soon to readjust and remove some guys we aren't really in it for.

There's also a bunch of new names to add. With it being a dead period we won't hear much news. Considering we don't lead for a single recruit right now no news is good news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 11/26/2021 at 3:16 PM, bigbird said:

Seems a lot of recruits know a lot more than a lot of whiney fans.

Yep, and it really looks bad

• Like 1

This guy seems like he could end up at Auburn... Derick Hunter DT. Former DT at Texas A&M last year, went to JUCO. Tar'Varish Dawson is his cousin and he's former teammates and friends with Calzada.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/auburn-football-recruiting-juco-2023-189723290/

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 2

We all know the NIL is a huge deal, but I was wondering if that bares out as the deciding factor in actual results of recruiting class rankings.

So I looked at the 2021 team recruiting rankings (the last year without NIL) and the 2022 rankings (the first). 

Seven of the top ten teams in the '21 rankings finished in the top ten in '22. Every single team that did not repeat in the top 10 had a coaching change. I think we all agree a coaching change is the most disruptive event for a recruiting class. 

In other words, the teams that were dominating recruiting before NIL are still dominating now. Elite recruiters get it done. I think @GwillMac6nailed it when he said you've either got it or you don't. And you know pretty early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cbo said:

We all know the NIL is a huge deal, but I was wondering if that bares out as the deciding factor in actual results of recruiting class rankings.

So I looked at the 2021 team recruiting rankings (the last year without NIL) and the 2022 rankings (the first). 

Seven of the top ten teams in the '21 rankings finished in the top ten in '22. Every single team that did not repeat in the top 10 had a coaching change. I think we all agree a coaching change is the most disruptive event for a recruiting class. 

In other words, the teams that were dominating recruiting before NIL are still dominating now. Elite recruiters get it done. I think @GwillMac6nailed it when he said you've either got it or you don't. And you know pretty early. 

Exactly fam. The whole oh he will recruit better when he wins on the field is just a excuse and is fans kicking the can  down the road. Bruce didn’t need to win to recruit well for a much worser situation and a program with a lot less tradition. Bruce recruiting well before 2018 is like if someone came in to Kansas football and strung together good recruiting classes. That’s how dire the rebuilding project Bruce had. 

I am way more confident we over achieve and win 8 or 9 games this season  than I am that we put together a strong recruiting class. This staff just ain’t it at all in regards to recruiting. To many examples now of them failing in recruiting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, au302 said:

https://www.on3.com/db/jatavius-shivers-147647/

https://www.on3.com/db/gernorris-wilson-150097/

Two OL prospects we have cranked the heat up a bit on in the past few days. Interestingly OL analyst Joe Bernardi is the lead man for both recruitments.

Both look like 3* developmental types but are what we need if we can't get elite type O-Line as both have potential. It will mean that we need to cleanup on Juco ready or Portal O-Line because we won't have much left on O-Line next year. 

• Like 1

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 Recruiting Thread [Updated 7/7]
On 10/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, Zeek said:

Quarterback (Need 1)

• 4* Rickie Collins | 6-2 190 | Baton Rouge, LA | Purdue Commit
  • 4* JJ Kohl | 6-6 227 | Ankeny, IA | Iowa State Commit
  • 4* Chris Parson | 6-0.5 200 | Brentwood, TN | FSU Commit
  • 4* Brock Glenn | 6-2 195 | Memphis, TN | FSU Lean

Running Back (1 Committed - Need 1 more)

• 4* Jeremiah Cobb | 5-11 190 | Manor, TX | Auburn Commit
  • 4* Roderick Robinson II | 6-1 230 | San Diego, CA | UCLA Commit
  • 3* Keyjuan Brown | 5-0 205 | Atlanta, GA | Purdue Commit
  • 3* Sergio Snider | 5-10 185 | Arlington, TX | Nebraska Lean
  • 3* Khalifa Keith | 6-2 217 | Birmingham, AL | Kentucky Commit

Receiver (1 Committed - Need 2 more)

• 4* Karmello English | 5-11 175 | Phenix City, AL | Auburn Commit
  • 4* Daquayvious Sorey | 6-2 185 | Chipley, FL | Florida Lean
  • 4* William Fowles | 6-2 195 | Hialeah, FL | Ole Miss Lean
  • 4* Malachi Riley | 6-2 178 | Corona, CA | Unclear who leads
  • 3* Ja'Kobi Lane | 6-5 175 | Mesa, AZ | Unclear who leads
  • 3* Cayden Lee | 5-11 175 | Kennesaw, GA | Unclear who leads
  • 3* Nakai Poole | 6-3 205 | Norcross, GA | Mississippi State Commit
  • 3* Lamar Seymore | 6-0 175 | Miami, FL | Pitt Lean

Tight End (Need 1)

• 4* Jelani Thurman | 6-5 230 | Fairburn, GA | Auburn vs Michigan State
  • 4* Jackson Bowers | 6-5 225 | Mesa, AZ | BYU Lean

Offensive Tackle (Need 2-3)

• 4* Zalance Heard | 6-5 300 | Monroe, LA | LSU Lean
  • 4* Bo Hughley | 6-7 290 | Fairburn, GA | Georgia Commit
  • 4* DJ Chester | 6-5 300 | McDonough, GA | Auburn vs LSU vs FSU
  • 4* Stanton Ramil | 6-7 310 | Alabaster, AL | Tennessee Lean
  • 4* Kelton Smith | 6-5 310 | Columbus, GA | Georgia Lean
  • 3* Jatavius Shivers | 6-6 290 | Villa Rica, GA | Decommitted from Vandy
  • 3* Vysen Lang | 6-5 330 | Pike Road, AL | Arkansas Lean
  • 3* Naquil Betrand | 6-7 310 | Philadelphia, PA | Unknown who leads
  • 3* Ian Geffrard | 6-6 350 | Mableton, GA | Arkansas Commit

Inside Offensive Line (1 Committed - Need 2 or 3 more)

• 4* Clay Wedin | 6-6 295 | Tampa, FL | Michigan State Commit
  • 4* Bradyn Joiner | 6-1 330 | Auburn, AL | Auburn Commit
  • 3* RyQueze McElderry | 6-3 340 | Anniston, AL | Alabama Commit
  • 3* Connor Lew | 6-3 280 | Acworth, GA | UGA vs AU vs Miami vs Clemson
  • 3* Gernorris Wilson | 6-4.5 280 | Lakeland, FL | Unknown who leads

Edge (Need 2-3)

• 5* Jaquavious Russaw | 6-2 230 | Montgomery, AL | UGA & Bama Lead
  • 5* Chandavian Bradley | 6-4.5 220 | Platte City, MO | Tenn Leads
  • 4* Keldric Faulk | 6-5 240 | Highland Home, AL | FSU Commit
  • 4* Wilky Denaud | 6-4 245 | Fort Pierce, FL | FSU Lean
  • 4* Tausili Akana | 6-4 225 | Lehi, UT | Oklahoma Commit
  • 4* Gabriel Harris | 6-4 237 | Valdosta, GA | UGA Commit
  • 4* Rico Walker | 6-3 233 | Hickory, NC | UNC Leads
  • 3* Ashley Williams | 6-4 215 | Zachary, LA | Minnesota & Nebraska Lead

Defensive Line (Need 3+)

• 5* James Smith | 6-4 310 | Montgomery, AL | Alabama & Georgia Lead
  • 4* Jordan Renaud | 6-3 245 | Tyler, TX | Unknown leader
  • 4* Hunter Osborne | 6-3 250 | Trussville, AL | Clemson Lock
  • 4* Jordan Hall | 6-4.5 300 | Jacksonville, FL | FSU Lean
  • 4* Daevin Hobbs | 6-4 262 | Concord, NC | UNC Lean
  • 4* Jamaal Jarrett | 6-6 350 | Greensboro, NC | UGA Lean
  • 4* Rueben Bain | 6-2 250 | Miami, FL | Miami Lean
  • 4* Darron Reed | 6-4 270 | Columbus, GA | LSU Commit
  • 3* Joshua Horton | 6-5 290 | Fairburn, GA | Unknown Leader
  • Transfer: Derick Hunter | 6-4 285 | Texas A&M

Linebacker (Need 3)

• 4* Troy Bowles | 6-1 205 | Tampa, FL | UGA Lean
  • 4* Jaiden Ausberry | 6-0 205 | Baton Rouge, LA | ND vs AU
  • 4* CJ Allen | 6-1 217 | Barnesville, GA | UGA Commit
  • 4* Lewis Carter | 6-0 200 | Tampa, FL | Oklahoma vs UNC vs AU vs UCF
  • 4* Dee Crayton | 6-2 215 | Alpharetta, GA | Clemson Commit
  • 4* Stanquan Clark | 6-2 215 | Miami, FL | Miami Lean
  • 3* Phil Picciotti | 6-3 225 | Perkasie, PA | Oklahoma Commit
  • 3* Ethan Crisp | 6-3 205 | Mount Juliet, TN | Vandy Commit
  • 3* Eric Muse | 6-0 195 | Birmingham, AL | Unknown Leader
  • 3* Marcellius Pulliam | 6-3 215 | Tyrone, GA | Georgia Tech Leads

Corner Back (Need 2)

• 4* Ethan Nation | 5-11.5 165 | Roswell, GA | Unknown Leader
  • 4* Ja'Keem Jackson | 6-1 180 | Kissimmee, FL | Florida Lean
  • 3* Jacorious Hart | 6-2 175 | Auburn, AL | Auburn Lean

Safety (Need 2)

• 4* Sylvester Smith | 5-11 195 | Munford, AL | Tennessee Commit
  • 4* Cedrick Hawkins | 6-0 175 | Titusville, FL | Ohio State Commit
  • 4* Terrance Love | 6-3 195 | Fairburn, GA | Auburn Commit
  • 4* DaKaari Nelson | 6-3 203 | Selma, AL | Penn State Commit
  • 3* Jaremiah Anglin Jr. | 6-1 184 | Lake Wales, FL | FSU Lean

OP updated with a lot of names and leans/projections. Look for more names to start popping up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

OP updated with a lot of names and leans/projections. Look for more names to start popping up.

Have to admit this chart is very discouraging with so many leaning away from us and so few leaning to us. Especially in the trenches where games are won and lost.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Have to admit this chart is very discouraging with so many leaning away from us and so few leaning to us. Especially in the trenches where games are won and lost.

Yup. Work to be done.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup. Work to be done.

I am trying to figure out what FSU is selling. They have had some really good O-line classes  in last couple of years and yet O-Line play has been one of their weaknesses. Their record is worse then ours and they are not that rich of a school yet the consistently seem to win against us. If they have another bad season their head coach may be gone also.

I am one of the few who have said I thought Harsin was a good hire and who felt the way he was beefing up recruiting staff would give us a real boost in recruiting but now I have to admit I was probably wrong. I hope not and will give them more time in case some of the ones leaning another direction are waiting to see how we play this year. We may need to start 5-0 to have any chance at a decent class.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am trying to figure out what FSU is selling. They have had some really good O-line classes  in last couple of years and yet O-Line play has been one of their weaknesses. Their record is worse then ours and they are not that rich of a school yet the consistently seem to win against us. If they have another bad season their head coach may be gone also.

I am one of the few who have said I thought Harsin was a good hire and who felt the way he was beefing up recruiting staff would give us a real boost in recruiting but now I have to admit I was probably wrong. I hope not and will give them more time in case some of the ones leaning another direction are waiting to see how we play this year. We may need to start 5-0 to have any chance at a decent class.

Florida recruiting is more wide open than ever for the kids that want to stay in state. Florida has a new head coach, Cristobal is killing it but FSU doesn't really compete for south Florida talent, and they have a staff of pretty decent recruiters. It is baffling to me as well but we'll see if it benefits us down the line.

39 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zeek, really appreciate the work you do breaking these names down in a managable list.   That list is an utter disaster for Auburn. Forget top 10 nationally we wont be top ten in the SEC.                       

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CR said:

Zeek, really appreciate the work you do breaking these names down in a managable list.   That list is an utter disaster for Auburn. Forget top 10 nationally we wont be top ten in the SEC.                       

I could see us getting:

1 4* QB

2 RBs (one 4* and probably a 3*)

3 WRs (one 4* and two 3*)

2 OT (both probably 3*)

3 IOL (two 4* one 3*)

1 TE (4*)

2 Edge (one 4* one 3*)

3 DL (one 4* two 3*)

2 LB (both 4*)

2 CB (one 4* one 3*)

2 S (both 4*)

And some JuCo/portal guys that keep us in the top 20. Lots of work to get there but it's not impossible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So many guys on that list are already committed too smh. It’s hard to flip anybody and it’s definitely hard to flip multiple recruits especially when the season is already started and coaches are more worried about the the season than recruiting 

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

Florida recruiting is more wide open than ever for the kids that want to stay in state. Florida has a new head coach, Cristobal is killing it but FSU doesn't really compete for south Florida talent, and they have a staff of pretty decent recruiters. It is baffling to me as well but we'll see if it benefits us down the line.

Regardless, FSU hasn't exactly been swimming in cash, so it gives me some hope.

• Like 1

Between the off the field crap and bad use of NIL, how is AU going to be able to  flip anyone? Could a good season and positive vibes be enough for this recruiting cycle or are they coaching for next cycle with the hope of the transfer portal filling in next years team?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

Between the off the field crap and bad use of NIL, how is AU going to be able to  flip anyone? Could a good season and positive vibes be enough for this recruiting cycle or are they coaching for next cycle with the hope of the transfer portal filling in next years team?

I think a combo is best case. Get a few flips and guys that wait till ENSD to commit, and become more attractive to the portal guys. The second RB board for example. Look at @Zeeks list for those guys. We got a stud committed to UCLA, and some developmental guys.

A good season allows you to play long for the flip with the UCLA guy, but assuming you don't pull that flip off even if you win, a winning season gives the staff more buzz to attract an established portal RB afterwards.

If no winning season and no stability you probably don't have as much attraction to portal guys. We still may due to the vacancies we'll have, but not as much "buzz" as we'd have from winning. Reference this winters portal recruiting. If that happens, I'd think it's more likely you have to take one of the fallback HS guys on that list. A guy you like, but consider more of a reach since you wouldn't want to bring him in an ideal world.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

Coaches being fired, position coaches leaving for other jobs, kids getting processed out, etc.

We capitalized really well when LSU imploded. Part of the problem is making sure we don't implode as well and that there is less staff turnover this offseason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Coaches being fired, position coaches leaving for other jobs, kids getting processed out, etc.

We capitalized really well when LSU imploded. Part of the problem is making sure we don't implode as well and that there is less staff turnover this offseason.

I try to stay positive no matter what. My belief is that once recruits see our coaches staying, they will come and join.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, au302 said:

I think a combo is best case. Get a few flips and guys that wait till ENSD to commit, and become more attractive to the portal guys. The second RB board for example. Look at @Zeeks list for those guys. We got a stud committed to UCLA, and some developmental guys.

A good season allows you to play long for the flip with the UCLA guy, but assuming you don't pull that flip off even if you win, a winning season gives the staff more buzz to attract an established portal RB afterwards.

If no winning season and no stability you probably don't have as much attraction to portal guys. We still may due to the vacancies we'll have, but not as much "buzz" as we'd have from winning. Reference this winters portal recruiting. If that happens, I'd think it's more likely you have to take one of the fallback HS guys on that list. A guy you like, but consider more of a reach since you wouldn't want to bring him in an ideal world.

I think as hard as it is for me to admit it...that the staff essentially is coaching for the 24 class. They of course are going to do the best they can with this year's class, but I think we grind it out on the field. Pull some upsets, load up on portal talent and then the 24 class is the one that gets him in the top 10...if all the other things happen first. Harsin has to win on the field this year first.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think as hard as it is for me to admit it...that the staff essentially is coaching for the 24 class. They of course are going to do the best they can with this year's class, but I think we grind it out on the field. Pull some upsets, load up on portal talent and then the 24 class is the one that gets him in the top 10...if all the other things happen first. Harsin has to win on the field this year first.

There is an old sports saying (and I am paraphrasing). You play the game in front of you. You never plan/strategize etc on the following games.

If they are coaching for the 24 class, they will not be here to see it.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember how recruiting was the year after Jetgate?  

For the naysayers, I think you have bought him at least one extra year to show what he can do.  Year one, Covid was a real reason for issues.  Year two, you've hamstrung the guy with the backstabbing in February.   

Does he get a real chance at recruiting before he is run off?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Does anyone remember how recruiting was the year after Jetgate?  

For the naysayers, I think you have bought him at least one extra year to show what he can do.  Year one, Covid was a real reason for issues.  Year two, you've hamstrung the guy with the backstabbing in February.   

Does he get a real chance at recruiting before he is run off?  

Probably not.  I have yet to see anyone mention the cancers we had in the locker room that afftected team morale and the play on the field.  Those guys are gone, either on their own or were run off.  We apparently had guys that did not accept their new head coach or his assistants.  They were too demanding.  Many guys wanted Steele to be named.  Some wished Gus had not been fired.  Hopefully all the players, coaches, administrators and boosters can get on the same page and do whats best for AU.

• Like 5
  • Love 1