Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

hard disagree. if Harsin puts DD in and then he throws a pick with a wounded duck pass then y'all would be ripping Harsin just as hard.  "how could Harsin put DD out there knowing he has a weak arm..."  I can already picture it on this board.

Not from me.  If DD aint got it, Im the first to say so.  But I firmly believe that many good/great QBs shine in games when they do not in practice.  Only way to know is to put them on the field.

.......preferably in meaningless bowl games.  I mean, cmon.....this isnt like changing QBs from Hurts to Tua in a game that counts, right?

Edited by EagleEye67

35 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We couldn't convert 3rd and 2 all afternoon.  And roughly 1/4 of Tank's total came on one play.

Nice of someone to notice. One thing I did agree with Gus on is that to be a great team and beat a great team you have to line up and make two yards when everyone in the stadium knows you are going to run it. On the other hand, if we had a qb that could throw a decent long ball the last 4 years.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shabby said:

All of that is teachable. A whole year into the season and you can't coach a qb to put more zip in his throws or teach Finley to put more air in his deep balls to give the reciever a chance to run under the ball. It's time we stop saying the players were just never coachable. The entire message board did this with Willis. if you don't have a single back up qb ready to do a competent job then the problem is not the talent. Its the coaching.

Zip is a physical thing. Further, none of us see what the coaches see in practice.  Finley could throw consistent deep balls in practice but he gets too juiced up in games and just slings it. a coach can only do so much.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

Not from me.  If DD aint got it, Im the first to say so.  But I firmly believe that many good/great QBs shine in games when they do not in practice.  Only way to know is to put them on the field.

.......preferably in meaningless bowl games.  I mean, cmon.....this isnt like changing QBs from Hurts to Tua in a game that counts, right?

can't dispute that.  honestly, we are all fans and the only way we could truly know is if we were standing by harsin in every practice over the past year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yes, if in practice he routinely hits those balls and all you need him to do in this game is hit one for a TD, especially with the run game getting stuffed in the 2nd half in short yardage situations.

All we needed was one to hit and its likely game.

You got to adjust to the actual game and player situation in front of you; not what happened in practice a week ago. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

You got to adjust to the actual game and player situation in front of you; not what happened in practice a week ago. 

What would have been better to do? keep running Tank into a 9 man box with olineman getting blown off the ball or hope that your QB can hit just one deep pass for a TD?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

He hits that throw, game won. 

facts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Did U miss the Shenker around in the red zone. The bombs in the end are good if TJ was hitting them he missed guys by 5 yards or more. In the red zone the non threat on TJ running made the offense very limited . IMO having DD in on one of them couldn’t hurt. The first time in the red zone resulted in no points.

I must have already forgotten that because it's not ringing a bell. That's a good point. I'm not denying the need for the long pass. It just felt like a forgone conclusion with Finley throwing to me. I think theybwere the right call. I just don't know if Finley was the right QB today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yes, if in practice he routinely hits those balls and all you need him to do in this game is hit one for a TD, especially with the run game getting stuffed in the 2nd half in short yardage situations.

All we needed was one to hit and its likely game.

I have a slightly worse chance of my lottery numbers hitting than Finley hitting a receiver going deep.

In all seriousness, aren’t coaches supposed to gameplan around their players’ strengths? Throwing the deep ball is one of Finley’s greatest weaknesses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Further, none of us see what the coaches see in practice.  Finley could throw consistent deep balls in practice but he gets too juiced up in games and just slings it. 

You make a statement that none of us that aren't coaches see what Finley does in practice, and then claim to know what Finley does in practice. you a coach?  

33 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This is hilarious. "If we had better players we would have won." A good coach understands his players' strengths and capabilities. TJ didn't have the capability to make those plays today. Terrible decisions.

But hey, if TJ was Peyton Manning, it would have worked. So it was actually a brilliant call.

Coaching can hide some weaknesses but it can't change some things 3rd and short we tried running to Tank but O-Line got stuffed we tried short passes that were either dropped or underthrown. What else can you call in those situations if those don't work.  We did pick up one 4th and short with a Jet Sweep and we had one Jet sweep that I think could have gone to the house but for an ankle slap. We used TE well throughout the game both for short gains and one long gain up the middle. We hid some weaknesses that is why we were in game. 

Bottom line when it counted at least one player didn't execute and not always the same player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, shabby said:

You make a statement that none of us that aren't coaches see what Finley does in practice, and then claim to know what Finley does in practice. you a coach?  

I said "Finley could make those throws in practice". maybe you should go back and read my comment. It was a supposition, conjecture if you will, I never claimed to know anything. Just guessing like the rest of us, though I try to apply some logical reasoning to my takes unlike others.

26 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

I am curious about all the hate on play calling. I am by no means very good at picking up on stuff, but outside of a few plays I don't remember any play feeling ridiculous. My issues lie in having Finley throw long. He has shown no real proof outside of some flukes that he can throw long. Other than that I felt the plays were not bad. To me it looked like our players (specifically our OL) just could not make things happen. 

Only call I had a problem with was the TE jet sweep lol. 

25 minutes ago, Didba said:

Playcalling was good.  If TJ hits just two of those deep balls we win and everyone is praising Harsin's playcalling.

Agree. it's easy to say playcalling sucked when the plays called aren't executed, but he couldn't just run Tank into an Offensive Lineman's @$$ all game for no gains when they had the box stacked either. Had he attempted that and folks would be slamming him for not taking shots and saying he looked like Gus. At least he recognized that and tried to run something different. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Coaching can hide some weaknesses but it can't change some things 3rd and short we tried running to Tank but O-Line got stuffed we tried short passes that were either dropped or underthrown. What else can you call in those situations if those don't work.  We did pick up one 4th and short with a Jet Sweep and we had one Jet sweep that I think could have gone to the house but for an ankle slap. We used TE well throughout the game both for short gains and one long gain up the middle. We hid some weaknesses that is why we were in game. 

Bottom line when it counted at least one player didn't execute and not always the same player.

I agree with you about the play calling not being the problem but how the players execute is also on the coaches isn't it?

1 minute ago, shabby said:

in his imagination likely

LMAO, multiple auburn podcasters have discussed the video I am referring to at length. It exists. Nice try though, Got me laughing.

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

If the backup that wasn't scouted or recruited by a quality QB developer, simply doesn't have the physical tools to compete at this level then you can't put him in.  If DD really has no zip on the ball it is likely he throws a pick as soon as he gets in the game. 

He possibly does if you call a play that requires him to make a difficult pass. But if you know his strengths and call plays to those strengths, then who knows?

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Only call I had a problem with was the TE jet sweep lol. 

Agree. it's easy to say playcalling sucked when the plays called aren't executed, but he couldn't just run Tank into an Offensive Lineman's @$$ all game for no gains when they had the box stacked either. Had he attempted that and folks would be slamming him for not taking shots and saying he looked like Gus. At least he recognized that and tried to run something different. 

That TE sweep was soooooo bad.  Agreed with everything else in your comment as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

I said "Finley could make those throws in practice". maybe you should go back and read my comment. It was a supposition, conjecture if you will, I never claimed to know anything. Just guessing like the rest of us, though I try to apply some logical reasoning to my takes unlike others.

and yet you are using your imaginary scenario to justify why those deep balls were good play calls.  it's laughable

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

But based on past performance and you know there is a very high likelihood that your quarterback will overthrow the receiver but you call it anyway, is it really a great playcall?

I would still say yes.    Look, I’m not the coach.   It’s obviously a play that he thinks the guy can make.  He just did not make them.   I don’t think you can judge a play that is called and didn’t work as a bad call because a player didn’t execute it.   Do you know how many times that throw is made in practice?   My guess,  hundreds.  I bet you that he completes some of them and misses some too.   Is that a reason to not call it?   Auburn was only winning by three points.    Time was not an issue as far as running clock.    The coach was trying to get a touchdown to go up two scores.   I don’t see how anyone has an issue with the play or plays on that series.   With only wanting to run the ball, it says to me that you are satisfied with the score, and willing to give the ball back with lots of time on the clock for the other team to score 

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Second and 2 at the end and we throw 3 incomplete passes.

Did you not see us get tackled for a loss on 3rd and 2? our oline was getting blown into the backfield

Just now, shabby said:

and yet you are using your imaginary scenario to justify why those deep balls were good play calls.  it's laughable

They were good play calls. He hits just one and we win. Multiple people on here saying it as well not just me.