Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

6 hours ago, autiger88 said:

At this point who cares who the OC is, it won't help much just saying. 

It could.  It actually could change Harsin’s trajectory with a solid hire and maybe send a message to some of us who have concerns that he has acknowledged some of his shortcomings in that regard. 

Get a guy who is a savage recruiter….think a Tee Martin/Dameuyne Craig type…and convince Etheridge and Caddy to stay, and that is three extremely strong recruiters on staff that could help Harsin in that regard and cover some of the deficiencies of the others.  

I saw someone report Kellen Moore.   I want some of what they are smoking :laugh:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

It could.  It actually could change Harsin’s trajectory with a solid hire and maybe send a message to some of us who have concerns that he has acknowledged some of his shortcomings in that regard. 

Get a guy who is a savage recruiter….think a Tee Martin/Dameuyne Craig type…and convince Etheridge and Caddy to stay, and that is three extremely strong recruiters on staff that could help Harsin in that regard and cover some of the deficiencies of the others.  

I saw someone report Kellen Moore.   I want some of what they are smoking :laugh:

Agree with your logic of great recruiters. I like Tee Martin over Craig. It may be telling us something that he has been with Jimbo so long and has not progressed much.

• Like 1

Most of the young African American coaches just need an opportunity. Way too often they are looked at to just be recruiters and not able to actually coach for whatever reason. 

If Harsin does his due diligence in evaluating there are plenty of coaches that could come in and help us

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Agree with your logic of great recruiters. I like Tee Martin over Craig. It may be telling us something that he has been with Jimbo so long and has not progressed much.

Agree, and I’m not sure that Harsin and Craig would mesh very well

As far as Dell McGee….He’s a great recruiter but Harsin needs someone who either can coach QBs, call plays, or both.  With Dell, you really don’t get either.  And we need someone proven.  

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Most of the young African American coaches just need an opportunity. Way too often they are looked at to just be recruiters and not able to actually coach for whatever reason. 

If Harsin does his due diligence in evaluating there are plenty of coaches that could come in and help us

We've had our differences of opinions, but I believe you COULD NOT BE MORE RIGHT.

My sincere question is, would it be accepted as more than just a PR move from the black community at large?  Would that matter?  Trying to be respectful, please forgive me if not worded properly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just curious, who would be your pick that could elevate quarterback play, recruit really well , and also help alleviate some of the bad play calls in the previous season?

• Like 1

I don't see Craig leaving A&M with what is happening with recruiting their now.  If a QB steps up this year, they will be hard to handle for the next several years.  There is no ambiguity on NIL, facilities spending, coaching, recruiting, boosters....all the pieces are in place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aublue88 said:

Just curious, who would be your pick that could elevate quarterback play, recruit really well , and also help alleviate some of the bad play calls in the previous season?

I not informed enough in the market to answer. I don't know whose available and who isn't. I do think we are almost at a point where we need to go all in and go for a guy whose not super proven.

Guys that's not available I think a bunch of NFL coaches like Moore, KC offensive coach, Byron leftwich

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All the more reason I have a hard time believing  McGee, Craig etc, would even consider the OC job under Harsin. Minus Tank, there is nobody on this offense that scares anyone in the SEC. I would think for these guys, you better choose your first opportunity wisely because you may not get another one. Plus, you're going to have to do most of the heavy lifting recruiting, the HC has shown he is in over his head in that aspect. They're used to having Jimbo or Smart helping seal the deal and now they're going to put their career in Harsin's hands? I really want to see those guys get a chance, but for their own career, I'm just not sure this is their best option at the moment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

We've had our differences of opinions, but I believe you COULD NOT BE MORE RIGHT.

My sincere question is, would it be accepted as more than just a PR move from the black community at large?  Would that matter?  Trying to be respectful, please forgive me if not worded properly.

I don't think it would matter for us. To be honest we need it a bit. I was being honest back in the day when we fired corn, other schools started negative recruiting us saying we aren't that progressive. Now with Mason, the optics are there to negative recruit us heavy that Harsin doesn't understand and isn't interested in learning our culture. 

What makes that bad it won't even be personal with future recruits, they will think there's no love lost but it's just better for both sides to avoid conflict to not come play for us and that's bad. 

No matter what is said to get rid of that reputation we need to see a few black coaches and staff that are active, good, and respected. It can't be a guy in a position that never moves up. Eventually we'll need to see a DC or OC. Or at the very least a position coach but one that's highly valued and respected. 

Imo there's no quick fixes though, it probably won't be trusted for a year or two. 

Really if Harsin would just come out and say I was lacking but I want and will get better and just go out and interact in places like bham and Montgomery I think he could fix a bunch quickly. I think if he asked for help and linked up with the right people inAtlanta who are respected we could even turn this into a positive. But I don't know if that's anything he wants or if anybody is in his circle smart enough to do that.

If he pushed opportunity and love and all of that we can overcome. There are only so many spots at uga and bammer. And bammer recruits nationally so there are some very good guys that will still be available.....we just have to be appealing that a guy can come here and work hard but still enjoy himself.

I know that was long winded and I also wanted to say we don't have to agree and all of that but if you can be respectful and cordial with me I will reciprocate that and make sure I do the same with you and I don't have any problems talking football with you.

Thanks for even asking me this question I appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, CR said:

All the more reason I have a hard time believing  McGee, Craig etc, would even consider the OC job under Harsin. Minus Tank, there is nobody on this offense that scares anyone in the SEC. I would think for these guys, you better choose your first opportunity wisely because you may not get another one. Plus, you're going to have to do most of the heavy lifting recruiting, the HC has shown he is in over his head in that aspect. They're used to having Jimbo or Smart helping seal the deal and now they're going to put their career in Harsin's hands? I really want to see those guys get a chance, but for their own career, I'm just not sure this is their best option at the moment.

I know in the NFL that has been a thing. Black coaches feel they aren't going to get more than one chance and they feel that when they do get a chance it's situations that's impossible to be successful.

So you are absolutely right, it will make many talented minority coaches any away from us because they know they need to win and win now and they at least want to have a chance when given their one chance to succeed. 

All that is my opinion of course

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think it would matter for us. To be honest we need it a bit. I was being honest back in the day when we fired corn, other schools started negative recruiting us saying we aren't that progressive. Now with Mason, the optics are there to negative recruit us heavy that Harsin doesn't understand and isn't interested in learning our culture. 

What makes that bad it won't even be personal with future recruits, they will think there's no love lost but it's just better for both sides to avoid conflict to not come play for us and that's bad. 

No matter what is said to get rid of that reputation we need to see a few black coaches and staff that are active, good, and respected. It can't be a guy in a position that never moves up. Eventually we'll need to see a DC or OC. Or at the very least a position coach but one that's highly valued and respected. 

Imo there's no quick fixes though, it probably won't be trusted for a year or two. 

Really if Harsin would just come out and say I was lacking but I want and will get better and just go out and interact in places like bham and Montgomery I think he could fix a bunch quickly. I think if he asked for help and linked up with the right people inAtlanta who are respected we could even turn this into a positive. But I don't know if that's anything he wants or if anybody is in his circle smart enough to do that.

If he pushed opportunity and love and all of that we can overcome. There are only so many spots at uga and bammer. And bammer recruits nationally so there are some very good guys that will still be available.....we just have to be appealing that a guy can come here and work hard but still enjoy himself.

I know that was long winded and I also wanted to say we don't have to agree and all of that but if you can be respectful and cordial with me I will reciprocate that and make sure I do the same with you and I don't have any problems talking football with you.

There's a lot to like and be hopeful for in your response.  It sounds like there a number of former Auburn players that are already asking to help.  I really hope Harsin will bring them in, open up and drink deeply from their wealth of knowledge and experience.  However, as you point out, that won't be enough.  This has got to be multi-faceted and reach every level of the program including championing the current black players that have had immensly respectful things to say about him.  Any idea if Greene has helped or hurt?  Or is he just looking for the first good opportunity to move on?

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

There's a lot to like and be hopeful for in your response.  It sounds like there a number of former Auburn players that are already asking to help.  I really hope Harsin will bring them in, open up and drink deeply from their wealth of knowledge and experience.  However, as you point out, that won't be enough.  This has got to be multi-faceted and reach every level of the program.  Any idea if Greene has helped or hurt?  Or is he just looking for the first good opportunity to move on?

That's one thing I don't have any info or contacts about, I don't know anything about Greene. I just know as far as optics people have used some stuff about his situation to negative recruit against us. 

But I think he will really need to open up to former players, and hopefully Greene can help. If I were him I'd ask help from coach Pearl, higher officials in some frats and sororities. 

I think he should do stuff like Saban does at bammer. Bring in wealthy and respected and successful minorities to come and visit and speak to the team. Being so close to Atlanta....he should use that to his advantage. Bring in people like Dr. Kofi Smith. I actually know him because he's from Florence but he's something big like the CEO of the Atlanta airport or something like that.

But invite him to come speak to the players and make contacts and stuff like that. Just be present and sincere and drop in on the high schools and be present in the community. And he can come back from this. It will be alot of work though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Agree, and I’m not sure that Harsin and Craig would mesh very well

As far as Dell McGee….He’s a great recruiter but Harsin needs someone who either can coach QBs, call plays, or both.  With Dell, you really don’t get either.  And we need someone proven.  

Agree, and Dell has not coached any position in college except for RB’s and we don’t need to lose Cadillac.

I doubt we get a very established OC folks will be happy with. Increasingly, I think he should elevate the WR coach (previous OC at Boise), elevate Trovon to WR coach, develop him, and tell him to recruit, recruit, recruit.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

I don't see Craig leaving A&M with what is happening with recruiting their now.  If a QB steps up this year, they will be hard to handle for the next several years.  There is no ambiguity on NIL, facilities spending, coaching, recruiting, boosters....all the pieces are in place.

But he probably never gets opportunity to be more than position coach. Which is certainly not a bad gig. Just depends on his career aspirations. He had to leave Jimbo before to go up in role.

Edited by Hank2020

Some great insight in here from all of you guys. If I'm him, I'm making two more hires. First, a guy that basically works in player relations. Keep tabs on the locker room, be a father figure, check in with parents, and keep the temperature on recruits insight. 

Then I'm hiring a dude who can serve as a liaison with HS coaches and boosters. This guy would need to be an ex AU player who knows Auburn and the southeast, and that knows how to play politics and schmooze people. Listen to HS coaches on what Harsin and the Boise boys can do better. Wine and dine boosters and every so often Harsin sucks it up and attends. Bring Bruce with you and let him do most of the talking. He's going to have to get some wealthy allies on his side if he wants to survive more than this season. 

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

I agree whole heartedly but it won't happen is all I'm trying to say he will probably just promote keisau(sp?) and probably promote an analyst up to QB coach.🤷 I hope I'm wrong but as of right now I don't have that much trust for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Really if Harsin would just come out and say I was lacking but I want and will get better and just go out and interact in places like bham and Montgomery I think he could fix a bunch quickly. I think if he asked for help and linked up with the right people inAtlanta who are respected we could even turn this into a positive. But I don't know if that's anything he wants

This is what I hope he is wise enough to realize. If he would be  humble enough to back off some of his preconceived ideas about how he 'wants' to coach in the SEC, and begin engaging people who have the insight and knowledge to help him get connected and begin to mesh with recruits and coaches, I think Auburn would be a force. But he has to want it bad enough to make concessions and be willing to be coached in the areas he doesn't have all the answers. I hope this fiasco was eye opening for him in all the right ways.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Tee Martin... get us back in Mobile

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I doubt we get a very established OC folks will be happy with. Increasingly, I think he should elevate the WR coach (previous OC at Boise), elevate Trovon to WR coach, develop him, and tell him to recruit, recruit, recruit.

I'm of the opinion, we gotta win first to help with recruiting. Like the chicken and the egg... can we recruit at high level b4 having results on the field or does the winning have to come first

21 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm of the opinion, we gotta win first to help with recruiting. Like the chicken and the egg... can we recruit at high level b4 having results on the field or does the winning have to come first

Winning helps, but the relationships need to be in place real soon to recruit and which OC is coming into this situation?

6 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

and convince Etheridge and Caddy to stay,

Not the first time on this board I've seen Etheridge's name about leaving, but the first time I've seen Caddy's. Any legit source for this, or just the normal donor insiders furthering dissension and chaos on the team?

Edited by oracle79
clarification

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Isn’t Jason Campbell on staff??? Or am I mistaken?