Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not the first time on this board I've seen Etheridge's name about leaving, but the first time I've seen Caddy's. Any legit source for this, or just the normal donor insiders furthering dissension and chaos on the team?

Etheridge is staying and it is rumored that Caddy has a NFL offer or two, but not likely that he would take it. he loves what he is doing now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, japantiger said:

I don't see Craig leaving A&M with what is happening with recruiting their now.   There is no ambiguity on NIL, facilities spending, coaching, recruiting, boosters....all the pieces are in place.

All the more reason to move on Craig!

Craig just helped TAMU land a $29 mio class (supposedly).   The man has seen how NIL can be leveraged and would fill many, many holes for Auburn - "checks a lot of boxes" while ripping away one of their top recruiters.

I suspect with Calzone, they would mesh, and Auburn would own Mobile.  Craig could also mentor Harsin on the recruiting trail. 

Harsin already is calling plays...Craig coaches QBs, helps scheme the O and lives out of a suitcase.  The man just added TX to his resume of places he can recruit.  Hellooooo?  What is our biggest fear with Harsin?  Everybody together, "recruiting big boy football."  Did we not just see how Cristobal turned a putrid Miami class into something to build from with Tre Citizen and others?  The landscape is gonna get tighter...

D Craig is the smart hire.   Convince me who would check more boxes.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not the first time on this board I've seen Etheridge's name about leaving, but the first time I've seen Caddy's. Any legit source for this, or just the normal donor insiders furthering dissension and chaos on the team?

There was some discussion about it on a Mobile area sports talk show that Caddy had some NFL interest.

It was reported everywhere that Etheridge was a candidate at UGA.

Also apparently Etheridge is staying. 

But yes all donor started stuff….I bet they even asked UGA to pursue him to make Harsin look bad :rolleyes:

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't think it would matter for us. To be honest we need it a bit. I was being honest back in the day when we fired corn, other schools started negative recruiting us saying we aren't that progressive. Now with Mason, the optics are there to negative recruit us heavy that Harsin doesn't understand and isn't interested in learning our culture. 

What makes that bad it won't even be personal with future recruits, they will think there's no love lost but it's just better for both sides to avoid conflict to not come play for us and that's bad. 

No matter what is said to get rid of that reputation we need to see a few black coaches and staff that are active, good, and respected. It can't be a guy in a position that never moves up. Eventually we'll need to see a DC or OC. Or at the very least a position coach but one that's highly valued and respected. 

Imo there's no quick fixes though, it probably won't be trusted for a year or two. 

Really if Harsin would just come out and say I was lacking but I want and will get better and just go out and interact in places like bham and Montgomery I think he could fix a bunch quickly. I think if he asked for help and linked up with the right people inAtlanta who are respected we could even turn this into a positive. But I don't know if that's anything he wants or if anybody is in his circle smart enough to do that.

If he pushed opportunity and love and all of that we can overcome. There are only so many spots at uga and bammer. And bammer recruits nationally so there are some very good guys that will still be available.....we just have to be appealing that a guy can come here and work hard but still enjoy himself.

I know that was long winded and I also wanted to say we don't have to agree and all of that but if you can be respectful and cordial with me I will reciprocate that and make sure I do the same with you and I don't have any problems talking football with you.

Thanks for even asking me this question I appreciate it. 

They should call Pedro Cherry. Former player and now CEO of AGL. Brilliant dude. 

Steve Wallace is a new addition to the offensive analyst position, is there any way he can the liaise with any new offensive line recruit?  Surely super bowl rings will impress!😄

To those that want Craig. Do you not remember the incident between LSU and TAMU that he started? Do we not remember him acting like a whiny a$$hole to Malzahn because he wasn't going to be OC? As for me, i'll pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Craig just helped TAMU land a $29 mio class (supposedly).   The man has seen how NIL can be leveraged and would fill many, many holes for Auburn - "checks a lot of boxes" while ripping away one of their top recruiters.

I suspect with Calzone, they would mesh, and Auburn would own Mobile.  Craig could also mentor Harsin on the recruiting trail. 

Harsin already is calling plays...Craig coaches QBs, helps scheme the O and lives out of a suitcase.  The man just added TX to his resume of places he can recruit.  Hellooooo?  What is our biggest fear with Harsin?  Everybody together, "recruiting big boy football."  Did we not just see how Cristobal turned a putrid Miami class into something to build from with Tre Citizen and others?  The landscape is gonna get tighter...

I don’t think he coaches QB’s at  aTm.

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

To those that want Craig. Do you not remember the incident between LSU and TAMU that he started? Do we not remember him acting like a whiny a$$hole to Malzahn because he wasn't going to be OC? As for me, i'll pass.

I get it , but with the position AU is in right now a recruiter first hire is the right hire. There’s no other options for Harsin to be successful. None

9 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Tee Martin is my pic

10 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

There was some discussion about it on a Mobile area sports talk show that Caddy had some NFL interest.

It was reported everywhere that Etheridge was a candidate at UGA.

Also apparently Etheridge is staying. 

But yes all donor started stuff….I bet they even asked UGA to pursue him to make Harsin look bad :rolleyes:

The Donors and the REC is what did that duh. 🙄 @AEAugirl

Obviously a big hire given the negative PR the program just endured.  Spend whatever it takes.  Don’t take “no” for answer.   So be it if we have to overpay on this one.

• Like 1

How quickly does  Harsin move on an OC and what is his priority? Is it someone to work with Quaterbacks,  recruiting or  someone that hes knows and comfortable  with from the past. I dont see him getting someone to calling the plays and turning the offense over to them at this point.

• Thanks 1

Jake Peetz. LSU OC last year that O hired because Brady said to. He wasn't ready and got thrown in the fire because O is a defensive minded coach. He'd likely do well with Harsin calling plays if he'd be willing to come back to college 

17 hours ago, Beaker said:

Not disparaging anything here, but all of this is what Craig does for Auburn, not what Auburn does for Craig 

14 minutes ago, au302 said:

Jake Peetz. LSU OC last year that O hired because Brady said to. He wasn't ready and got thrown in the fire because O is a defensive minded coach. He'd likely do well with Harsin calling plays if he'd be willing to come back to college 

To a very different offense also if that were to occur.

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not disparaging anything here, but all of this is what Craig does for Auburn, not what Auburn does for Craig 

Craig would get an OC role for which he has been aspiring for a long time. The closest he has gotten to a “token” co-OC role for Malzahn.

17 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Craig would get an OC role for which he has been aspiring for a long time. The closest he has gotten to a “token” co-OC role for Malzahn.

I think he could’ve gotten a non-ideal, fairly undesirable OC role by now if he wanted it 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Congratulations, DC. Your first OC position consists of a HC who said hes calling the plays, 5 Back-up QBs to choose from, no threat from the 6 scholarship WR's remaining, and a veteran OL that can't run block for the one guy you have that scares anyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t think he coaches QB’s at  aTm.

He doesn't, but  I got a funny feeling with his extent of coaching,,,,hold on, wasn't he QB coach at FSU when J Winston was there.  Check me, but I think I am right.  

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

first OC job

27 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Not a real OC though. Continuing to be a stud position coach will be better for his career than coming here and having the title OC of a sinking ship. 

Yeah, why develop that resume, work hand in hand with the HC on scheming the O, coaching QBs (again) and being the recruiting coordinator of all the offensive recruits?   Like Jimbo Fisher is really developing D Craig...

Silly, dumb move.   We have no chance.   

Maybe we should shut down football and use the FB only complex for B Pearl so we don't have to build a BB practice facility.  Hmmmm.  

If you haven't noticed, it won't be a full-on OC job:  Harsin needs a QB coach and an assistant OC.  He is betting on himself to pull the O out of the ditch. 

Edited by Beaker

Yeah, why develop that resume, work hand in hand with the HC on scheming the O, coaching QBs (again) and being the recruiting coordinator of all the offensive recruits?   Like Jimbo Fisher is really developing D Craig...

A very possible one year stint as a psudoOC is not a resume builder when you're already a big name position coach getting input on a successful and stable program. 

Silly, dumb move.   We have no chance.   

Maybe we should shut down football and use the FB only complex for B Pearl so we don't have to build a BB practice facility.  Hmmmm.  

Nice hyperbole. The hire will be a relative unknown who, if things go well jumpstarts a career and if it goes poorly you've lost nothing, but at least you can claim OC. 

If you haven't noticed, it won't be a full-on OC job:  Harsin needs a QB coach and an assistant OC.  He is betting on himself to pull the O out of the ditch. 

Which is exactly why no quality guy is coming here. Harsin is now known as a jackass to work for. There is no motivation for an establish coach to come into this s*** show. 

• Sad 1