Loachapoka Pipeline?

toddc

Another Loachapoka standout looks to put himself on Auburn's radar

12 hours ago

Watch Auburn's quarterbacks and receivers work in red zone

LOACHAPOKA, Alabama - JC Hart was the one in the spotlight on Friday night as he announced his commitment, but he wasn’t the only talented Loachapoka defender in the room.

Jamari Payne, a Class of 2024 defensive lineman got to watch Hart commit to Auburn. If all goes according to plan, Payne will also be committing to a Power Five school in a couple of years. 

At 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds going into his junior season, Payne has already picked up offers from Western Kentucky and Alabama A&M, and said he has interest from Florida State, UCF and Troy.

Payne grew up an Alabama fan, so could he see himself playing at Auburn?

“Of course,” Payne said.

Attending last year’s four-overtime thriller of an Iron Bowl, Auburn hasn’t talked with Payne yet, but he’s intrigued by the Tigers.

“It was loud, I like the atmosphere,” Payne said. “It’s a lot of excitement.”

Playing all along the defensive line, from defensive end to defensive tackle, Payne is still young but already excels in a few areas.

“Get to the ball,” Payne named as one of his strengths. “Physical at the line, physical hands. Get off the block fast.”

Growing up with Hart, watching him commit on Friday night was special for Payne.

“I’ve known JC my whole life, I’m happy for him,” Payne said.

It was also motivating.

“I’ve got to keep putting on for the school, put on for the city,” Payne said.

When talking with Auburn Undercover ahead of his commitment, Hart specifically named Payne as someone he wants to set the trend for moving forward.

2COMMENTS

“(I’m) trying to change the environment of the school (Loachapoka), trying to bring everybody back up,” Hart said. “So since one person got like — since me, I’m basically trying to start it off for everybody else.”

As Payne continues his recruitment, he plans to attend Auburn and Alabama games this fall.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to Loachapoka Pipeline?

Hate to have a kid from Lee County get away from us if he's talented enough to play at this level, but I have no clue how to gauge that. JC is easy to tell he's got potential from his size and speed combination, but just knowing a lineman's size isn't enough to tell if he's worth a scholarship. The fact that he has D-I offers suggests he's at least close, and frankly I'd rather take a flyer on him if he's borderline. Keep the kids closest to home at Auburn.

• Like 3

Yessir, Red. 100%. Especially in the backyard of your school. You're gonna miss some, either way. I just read an article where a walk on from Ohatchee HS in Calhoun county got a scholly at Clemson. Now I haven't researched it, but you would assume that he wasn't drowning in power 5 offers if he walked on at Clemson.

Edited by JuscAUse!