2023 4 star Daquayvious Sorey commits to Auburn!!

Sizzle

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A solid 4* wide receiver at a position of need looks like he is going to commit to Auburn.  He was good enough that he committed to UGA then de-committed and because bama and FL want him as a Safety and he wants to be a WR his offers there are not committable. Now we have some Auburn fans trying to make this look like a bad commitment. Some Auburn fans walking down the street and finding a $20 bill would be upset because it wasn't a $50 bill.

Hey, if uga/uat/uf don't want him a WR then we'll dang sure take a 4* in a heartbeat.  This sounds like a win-win to me. 😁

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Could be extremely motivated to prove the doubters wrong. Sold.

4 Star WR. Can't be all that bad at the position. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Hey, if uga/uat/uf don't want him a WR then we'll dang sure take a 4* in a heartbeat.  This sounds like a win-win to me. 😁

Besides that we have plenty of room to take a chance on players and after he's here maybe we could convince him Safety is his best chance to success if necessary.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

4 Star WR. Can't be all that bad at the position. 

If memory serves, Bama wanted Kerryon Johnson as a safety. That turned out pretty good for us and Kerryon 

• Like 1

I think he is ours to lose. Auburn is a lot closer to home than Miami if nothing else. But Miami concerns me if he visits there before committing. We know about CMC. Their current WR commits are small, under 6'. Hopefully CBH can close the deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If memory serves, Bama wanted Kerryon Johnson as a safety. That turned out pretty good for us and Kerryon 

The recruiting miss is Phillip Rivers. I don't think bammer ever offered him (looked briefly at TE) and AU only offered very late for TE

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

A lot of teams wanted Kerryon as a LB. He was recruited as an athlete. Kerryon didn’t even play RB in the Alabama/Mississippi all star game, he was strictly LB

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

And another negative nancy chimes in

So, pointing out facts is being a negative nancy? Yes, let's bury our heads in the sand and ignore any truth that's the least bit inconvenient.

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, pointing out facts is being a negative nancy? Yes, let's bury our heads in the sand and ignore any truth that's the least bit inconvenient.

Has it ever occurred to u that just maybe this staff knows how to evaluate talent and the guy will prove to be a good WR. So what if someone else wants  him only as a DB... See my Kerryon Johnson example. But that happened during the previous regime,  so it doesn't count I guess.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why the change after the last decade?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Has it ever occurred to u that just maybe this staff knows how to evaluate talent and the guy will prove to be a good WR. So what if someone else wants  him only as a DB... See my Kerryon Johnson example. But that happened during the previous regime,  so it doesn't count I guess.

We are this kid's only committable offer from his "Top 4" schools. The Kerryon Johnson example doesn't even make sense because he 100% had a committable offer from Bama, regardless of what position it was for. So this really doesn't have anything to do with us "evaluating talent" insofar as it does with us backing our way into a commitment by default from a kid who wasn't a take elsewhere.

He is actually expected to commit to us without even having visited us this year. I believe he has visited once, and it was in November of 2021.

But anyway, he is a solid receiver and we obviously aren't hurting for scholarships. I just think that at some point we need to start pulling some kids that aren't backups to the backup at the schools we are actually competing against. 

• Dislike 1

44 minutes ago, metafour said:

We are this kid's only committable offer from his "Top 4" schools. The Kerryon Johnson example doesn't even make sense because he 100% had a committable offer from Bama, regardless of what position it was for. So this really doesn't have anything to do with us "evaluating talent" insofar as it does with us backing our way into a commitment by default from a kid who wasn't a take elsewhere.

He is actually expected to commit to us without even having visited us this year. I believe he has visited once, and it was in November of 2021.

But anyway, he is a solid receiver and we obviously aren't hurting for scholarships. I just think that at some point we need to start pulling some kids that aren't backups to the backup at the schools we are actually competing against. 

The bolded is the long and short of it for me. Why worry about WHY he's coming to Auburn if we've got more than enough room for him in the class and the coaches think he has potential? 

Yeah, eventually it'd be nice to compete with UGA and BAMA for top tier recruits, but the reality is that we aren't at that place right now and we have more then enough space in the class, so why nit pick about what guys we are getting? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing is apparently he was their recruit but he does not want to play the position that they want him to play..That does not make him less of a recruit or a sloppy second. So ridiculous. This guy is so good he is considered a 4 wr and the top schools in the nation also want him primarily at defensive back. He wants to bet on himself at WR. That is those schools loss. It use to be "we need more recruits." Then "All we get is 3 stars." Now "we need to stop getting the top schools back ups." Holy crap.

He does not have committable offers from those schools (Bama, UGA, Florida) even as a Safety. They are "recruiting" him at that position, but he isn't a take for them. You realize that Alabama has 3 Safeties already committed, 2 of whom are 5-stars? This kid wanted to go to Florida, but they have like ~4 receivers committed that they thought were better.

It's fine, but the whole point is that this isn't a case where all these schools "want him", but he's just adamant on playing receiver. His ultimate upside is a bit limited given his 11.54 100m time he ran last season. That really isn't all that fast, and he's not a huge receiver either.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Man, you can't win with some of these folks

You can win too. A start would be getting the recruiting significantly above 12th in the SEC, which is where we are right now.

45 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You can win too. A start would be getting the recruiting significantly above 12th in the SEC, which is where we are right now.

Why, even when we are on the verge of getting 4 * talent, folks like u complain or think there is something else " going on" with them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why, even when we are on the verge of getting 4 * talent, folks like u complain or think there is something else " going on" with them

False. The seven AU has committed are good. The problem is our competition has 20-some good ones committed. Also, something is "going on" with the one prospect you mention. Whether that's bad or not remains to be seen but the situation is more than a little odd.

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You're wasting your time NW

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

He does not have committable offers from those schools (Bama, UGA, Florida) even as a Safety. They are "recruiting" him at that position, but he isn't a take for them. You realize that Alabama has 3 Safeties already committed, 2 of whom are 5-stars? This kid wanted to go to Florida, but they have like ~4 receivers committed that they thought were better.

It's fine, but the whole point is that this isn't a case where all these schools "want him", but he's just adamant on playing receiver. His ultimate upside is a bit limited given his 11.54 100m time he ran last season. That really isn't all that fast, and he's not a huge receiver either.

I realize he is a seemingly talented dude, regardless , if Bama or UGA don’t have a commitment to him. Look at you? Lol. “He isn’t that fast.” “He is not a huge receiver.” Now his upside is limited? Man, you sound silly.  And if we end up losing this guy to a rival or anyone else you will be the first one in here crying. From a track guy, using track as a barometer to someone football abilities is as short sighted as it gets. Does he run great routes? Does he catch away from his body? Does he attack the ball at his highest point? "FOOTBALL SPEED" is an added plus. So to make a proclamation on someone's upside without having that viable information is senseless. And no just saying "Well Alabama and Georgia don't want him at WR" is not enough. If that is his biggest knock then the kid is in a damn good situation. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

He ran the 11.54 back in May of 2021 which means he could be faster now.  I am not trying to say he has elite speed but with  a little improvement on the 11.54 he will have solid speed.  The top NFL receiver of all time was Jerry Rice his 40 time was 4.71 not exactly a speed demon. In no way am I trying to compare this young man to Jerry Rice as Jerry was special and few can duplicate what he did. My point is speed while nice is not all that is used when looking at a WR.  So far the composite services have him as a 4* which means either they mis-rated him or he is a good receiver.  Of course we want elite WR's but if you can't get an elite WR this is the type you need.

I don't know if he will develop into a solid WR for Auburn, eventually get moved to safety if he doesn't work out at WR or hit the transfer portal in the future nobody does, but I do know he fits a need and as a 4*.  I just know that right now some people just look for any reason to try and make our recruiting look bad. What is sad is if you look at the number of recruits who on the whole are very solid recruits it is bad without people trying to make the individual players who we have recruited look bad. You can't sugar coat 7 recruits if we get this young man on Friday 8 recruits when most teams have at least 15 and top teams have more with even higher player rating.

I am hoping a very good season will help recruiting but even with a very good season I realize with all the players we have missed on even if we flip a few we will not be near where we need to be in recruiting this year.  What a good season should do is help stop the negative recruiting and help us in Portal and 2024 class.

• Like 1