Allen Greene Out as AD

JerryAU

29 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There has to be more to this given the universal condemnation out there. We basically all knew he was leaving after this fall, so what changed and why was it so off putting?

Greene has been whining to White, so White puts out a tweet trying to defend him. 

Those that talk about: this is a blackeye, or a bad look? Realize Auburn was going to let him stay for his entire contract? Even when he was talked to about not showing up for work, not showing for certain events etc. If he’d have got one of the several jobs he interviewed for, or one of the jobs he wanted to interview for, he would’ve been gone a little over a calendar year after hire. But nobody else wanted him.  Auburn was willing to let him finish his contract, while the General was doing his job. BSPN evidently doesn’t know that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Odd that he didn’t just test him. Put this out there for everyone to see. 

This is weak as hell. And pretty rare for an AD to publicly call out another conference school like this. 

I hope we bash UT in every sport until this guy is fired. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

That was actually the third time he was a no-show in his office etc. The first two times he blamed on Covid, and was told to get his be-hind back to work!

Stop. There is no need to tear down the man by spreading unconfirmed bs like this on his way out. A lot of really good things happened here during his tenure, and some not so good things.

At the end of the day as AD, he gets credit and blame for those successes and failures, no matter how much/little he contributed to them. So overall, cheers to Greene for representing Auburn very well, and wish him well in his future endeavors. First class guy. Just time for a change. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

This is weak as hell. And pretty rare for an AD to publicly call out another conference school like this. 

I hope we bash UT in every sport until this guy is fired. 

This is the same bag o rocks that proclaimed UCF national champs after beating AU in Chick fil a bowl game. National champs in a non national championship game! No one other than UCF ever proclaimed them that either! 
There are rakes and shovels, but he is a useless tool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Greene has been whining to White, so White puts out a tweet trying to defend him. 

Those that talk about: this is a blackeye, or a bad look? Realize Auburn was going to let him stay for his entire contract? Even when he was talked to about not showing up for work, not showing for certain events etc. If he’d have got one of the several jobs he interviewed for, or one of the jobs he wanted to interview for, he would’ve been gone a little over a calendar year after hire. But nobody else wanted him.  Auburn was willing to let him finish his contract, while the General was doing his job. BSPN evidently doesn’t know that.

This. He will not get a P5 AD job anytime soon I would be willing to bet (and should have never gotten the AU job). This is just another opportunity for the media (and unfortunately rival coaches) to portray Auburn as an unstable mess. If Auburn had really been doing what was best for the athletic department he would have been terminated at least a year ago. My fervent hope is that the new president will bring in a real, professional AD……although I’m not going to hold my breath given our history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There has to be more to this given the universal condemnation out there. We basically all knew he was leaving after this fall, so what changed and why was it so off putting?

I don't actually know, but I think it's because it's easy to take a shot at a someone who is perceived to be on the way down. Especially when they have beaten your ass multiple times, so you care. 

And this is all based on a single year of bad football and some off field controversy. 

The idea that Auburn athletics as a whole are in "chaos" doesn't pass the most cursory review. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

Stop. There is no need to tear down the man by spreading unconfirmed bs like this on his way out. A lot of really good things happened here during his tenure, and some not so good things.

At the end of the day as AD, he gets credit and blame for those successes and failures, no matter how much/little he contributed to them. So overall, cheers to Greene for representing Auburn very well, and wish him well in his future endeavors. First class guy. Just time for a change. 

You are a little uninformed, but certainly entitled to your opinion.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Just some thoughts: maybe showing up for work, doing your job, doing what you’re supposed to could’ve helped him keep his job. He has interviewed and applied for several positions and has been turned down. Other schools he wanted an interview for, wouldn’t even interview him. That is very telling!

The guy that has been so openly politicked against by his superiors that even Jim Bobs on this site are aware of it occurring interviewed for other jobs. Color me surprised! 

• Haha 1

Sports fans view athletics and those involved in this fantasy bubble when there’s real life characteristics applied more often than not 

if I’m at my job, the C level executives think I’m not doing the job the right way, even though I’ve fulfilled the role as I expressed I would from the beginning, then I know I’ve done what I can. If those same execs are implicitly giving me a duration until I’m fired, I’m going to fulfill my duties as long as feasibly possible whilst looking for another job so I’m not out on my butt

Thats how this set of circumstances would go for any normal decent person working a job  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

An army Lieutenant general won't typically be a disaster in anything they choose to undertake, especially one that has been the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.

😲 Astonished Face

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Greene was gone, which everyone knew except for about a half a dozen people on here. (claiming it was racism, hate, etc. etc. etc.) The guy has been interviewing for jobs since about his 14 to 18 month point at AU. Doesn’t show up for work etc.

Also, with the dumpster fire, train wreck that is Brian Harsin, this will most likely be his last season, unless he really surprises and impresses people.

In other words: Red was giving them common sense, that they just didn’t wanna hear.

I wonder who he thinks we'll target there. Well, either we get to talk about it in a few weeks or we win.

• Like 1

Sad day for Auburn. People around the country are trashing us and rightfully so.

Lets look at the job Allen Greene did as AD. Almost all of his hires have been good ones. Almost all of the programs are either strong or headed in the right direction. The state of Auburn Athletics top to bottom has never been stronger. On top of this, he was a great ambassador for our University and most the coaches and student athletes seemed to like him. THAT IS ALLEN GREENE'S RECORD AS AD.

I'm not an insider, but I have yet to hear a good reason for why he was fired. What I have heard is a few BS excuses like he didn't show up for a few days during covid? Really, is that the best you got???????

Like I said, I'm not an insider, but I have noticed some patterns. The people throwing out these lame reasons for him being fired also happen to be the biggest Harsin haters, and thats probably whats really going on here. It certainly makes a lot more sense than the BS excuses I've heard so far. So, Allen Greene's biggest sin was hiring a football coach that some of the good ole boys didn't want. And these guys just couldn't let it go. They couldn't give the new guy a chance for a few years. They had to meddle and undermine him. Shameful.

That's my theory until I hear something better, which so far I haven't.

Auburn has so much going for it. It really could become one of the best public universities in America in both athletics and academics with the right leadership. But this won't happen as long as we have a bunch of good ole boys who just want Auburn to be a cow college with a good football team like it was when they got their degrees in the 1980s. This University will never progress to the next level as long as we have them around. As an alumni this makes me sad and angry.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 7

25 minutes ago, au4life77 said:

Sad day for Auburn. People around the country are trashing us and rightfully so.

Lets look at the job Allen Greene did as AD. Almost all of his hires have been good ones. Almost all of the programs are either strong or headed in the right direction. The state of Auburn Athletics top to bottom has never been stronger. On top of this, he was a great ambassador for our University and most the coaches and student athletes seemed to like him. THAT IS ALLEN GREENE'S RECORD AS AD.

I'm not an insider, but I have yet to hear a good reason for why he was fired. What I have heard is a few BS excuses like he didn't show up for a few days during covid? Really, is that the best you got???????

Like I said, I'm not an insider, but I have noticed some patterns. The people throwing out these lame reasons for him being fired also happen to be the biggest Harsin haters, and thats probably whats really going on here. It certainly makes a lot more sense than the BS excuses I've heard so far. So, Allen Greene's biggest sin was hiring a football coach that some of the good ole boys didn't want. And these guys just couldn't let it go. They couldn't give the new guy a chance for a few years. They had to meddle and undermine him. Shameful.

That's my theory until I hear something better, which so far I haven't.

Auburn has so much going for it. It really could become one of the best public universities in America in both athletics and academics with the right leadership. But this won't happen as long as we have a bunch of good ole boys who just want Auburn to be a cow college with a good football team like it was when they got their degrees in the 1980s. This University will never progress to the next level as long as we have them around. As an alumni this makes me sad and angry.

(This is a quote from someone back then, so not mine--I can't remember who, I just copied it to have on file for occasions like this, just to show how great Harsin's vision was going before the so-called "coup attempt.")

"Transfer Portal- 0 players incoming at OL and WR. 2 huge question marks at QB. Players leaving in droves, including 8 DL. At this rate DL will look like OL within a few years. Looks like no more incoming transfers headed this way.

Coaches- Lost highly respected DC and DL coach. Struck out on at least top 2 DL coach candidates. Fired WR coach four games into season, replaced with coach from Boise who everyone knew was going to be on staff at first opportunity.Fired OC who was supposed to help recruiting in the region and to top it off, lost his son to main rival at our biggest position of need. Tried to replace him with coach under the shadow of NCAA investigation, blocked by administration here. Said coach was later fired by his current employer. Hired an NFL QB coach to much acclaim, now looks like he'll never have a coaches photo taken here. OL coach was expected to be replaced according to several of the beat guys but he somehow remains after signing 1 HS OLineman and totally bombing in the portal.

Recruiting- Struggled most of the early cycle, some improvement at the end to salvage a decent class. Good chance of a total bomb in the late signing period. Hard to see Schmedding/Brumbaugh as anything other than a step back in recruiting in comparison to Mason/Eason. Carnell and Ethridge(along with Trovon Reed, who we depend on desperately despite not even being an on field coach) are left trying to pick up the (considerable) slack of the other coaches in recruiting, especially with Mason and Eason gone.

This all followed a season that ended with 5 consecutive losses after having a lead in most if not all of these games. And from some credible posters here, he has struggled to connect with the boosters who, like it or not, Auburn is heavily dependent on for financial support. I'm mystified how Harsin has any support left at this point."

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

I am beginning to think a lot of AU fans sit at home and watch days of our lives while looking for a way they can make things as dramatic as possible. Greene did some good things. Let’s thank him for that. The president obviously wants to go in a different direction. This is business. I do not think Hars is now gone, unless things go wrong this season. Winning fixes a lot of things. AU needs a good AD that can unify and control the boosters. Maybe a legacy hire or at least some type of AU connections. Let’s see what the new President can do. 

Edited by wildlife alumni
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

(This is a quote from someone back then, so not mine--I can't remember who, I just copied it to have on file for occasions like this, just to show how great Harsin's vision was going before the so-called "coup attempt.")

"Transfer Portal- 0 players incoming at OL and WR. 2 huge question marks at QB. Players leaving in droves, including 8 DL. At this rate DL will look like OL within a few years. Looks like no more incoming transfers headed this way.

Coaches- Lost highly respected DC and DL coach. Struck out on at least top 2 DL coach candidates. Fired WR coach four games into season, replaced with coach from Boise who everyone knew was going to be on staff at first opportunity.Fired OC who was supposed to help recruiting in the region and to top it off, lost his son to main rival at our biggest position of need. Tried to replace him with coach under the shadow of NCAA investigation, blocked by administration here. Said coach was later fired by his current employer. Hired an NFL QB coach to much acclaim, now looks like he'll never have a coaches photo taken here. OL coach was expected to be replaced according to several of the beat guys but he somehow remains after signing 1 HS OLineman and totally bombing in the portal.

Recruiting- Struggled most of the early cycle, some improvement at the end to salvage a decent class. Good chance of a total bomb in the late signing period. Hard to see Schmedding/Brumbaugh as anything other than a step back in recruiting in comparison to Mason/Eason. Carnell and Ethridge(along with Trovon Reed, who we depend on desperately despite not even being an on field coach) are left trying to pick up the (considerable) slack of the other coaches in recruiting, especially with Mason and Eason gone.

This all followed a season that ended with 5 consecutive losses after having a lead in most if not all of these games. And from some credible posters here, he has struggled to connect with the boosters who, like it or not, Auburn is heavily dependent on for financial support. I'm mystified how Harsin has any support left at this point."

I'm not going to go through all that and respond. All I will say is we would have won 8 or 9 games last year, including the Iron Bowl,  if Nix had not got hurt. And nothing has hurt recruiting more than the little coup attempt that happened earlier this year. You don't think our recruiting competitors don't use that against us with recruits???? Of course they do. A recruit won't want to commit to a team if they think the school doesn't have the coaches back. A recruit won't want to commit to a team if they think the coach will be fired in the next year. That little coupe stunt has done nothing but undermine Harsin's ability to do his job, especially with recruiting. But we are still in the mix for a lot of guys. If Harsin goes out and has a good year, you will see our recruiting greatly improve. Recruits just want to see if Harsin is going to be around for awhile before they make such a big commitment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, au4life77 said:

I'm not going to go through all that and respond. All I will say is we would have won 8 or 9 games last year, including the Iron Bowl,  if Nix had not got hurt. And nothing has hurt recruiting more than the little coup attempt that happened earlier this year. You don't think our recruiting competitors don't use that against us with recruits???? Of course they do. A recruit won't want to commit to a team if they think the school doesn't have the coaches back. A recruit won't want to commit to a team if they think the coach will be fired in the next year. That little coupe stunt has done nothing but undermine Harsin's ability to do his job, especially with recruiting. But we are still in the mix for a lot of guys. If Harsin goes out and has a good year, you will see our recruiting greatly improve. Recruits just want to see if Harsin is going to be around for awhile before they make such a big commitment.

If we "fire" an AD and let a coach go after 2 years In the same season... Jesus Christ... How dumb can we be. Talk about setting back a football program. We're struggling and CBH had an uphill battle since he got here. Everyone laughs but you have to have your head in the sand when someone asks... What coach would want to come here? What AD would want to come to this show where boosters want control and there is no support, leaders can't lead? We're going to have promote the interim AD because seriously we look pathetic. Other schools laugh at us.. Football fans laugh at us.. It's pathetic. Seriously.

People dismiss it, but it's true. The coup was embarrassing enough. 

:rant:

Edited by Randman5000
Wake up
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I am beginning to think a lot of AU fans sit at home and watch days of our lives while looking for a way they can make things as dramatic as possible. Greene did some good things. Let’s thank him for that. The president obviously wants to go in a different direction. This is business. I do not think Hars is now gone, unless things go wrong this season. Winning fixes a lot of things. AU needs a good AD that can unify and control the boosters. Maybe a legacy hire or at least some type of AU connections. Let’s see what the new President can do. 

I. Want to take this approach. 

I'm going to take a shot and say they have to promote from within. I hope winning is on the horizon. 

5 hours ago, au4life77 said:

THAT IS ALLEN GREENE'S RECORD AS AD.

Actually you can thank Gen. Burgess for that believe it or not.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, au302 said:

Stop. There is no need to tear down the man by spreading unconfirmed bs like this on his way out.

Not in the kind of detail he just said, but this has been confirmed by multiple people on here, it was just on the Eagle’s Nest.  It has been known information for a while now over there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Whether it was because of ADAG or not, we’ve had an insane amount of success in the sports that were once auxiliary before him. Best state of the men’s basketball program EVER!!! 

And he had nothing to do with it.  Didn’t hire pearl and had nothing to do with the building of the arena.