*Official San Jose St. Post-Game Discussion Thread*

Didba

13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

What exactly has he done to improve that? His recruiting of lineman last year was poor and this year looks worse. We look like we are down to 3rd and 4th choices. When it is this late in the recruiting cycle and we are just now making offers to some kids means we are far down our list. And his public strategy is “ just watch”. 

Don't know. All I'm saying is folks need to have a little more patience than one and a half recruiting cycles

• Like 3

Robby runs well, but I question how well that is going to work vs a P5 team. Also, might be a coincidence, but TJ seemed to get better in the 3rd when we stopped rotating as much.  Probably need to find the right balance 

65% for thr second game with a ypa at 9. It's not awful. Pick was a great play the the DB, but he bounce back well. Made a few nice 4th down conversions. 

Had a lot of drops again by TE/WR

Secondary is meh.

I hope we just didn't care and were flat. Next week scares me a bit

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Suffice to say, this level of play won't cut it against Penn State.

That level of play will get us 0-10 the rest of the way.  There is not a team on the schedule we can beat playing like that including the Kentucky directional school.  

31 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

What exactly has he done to improve that? His recruiting of lineman last year was poor and this year looks worse. We look like we are down to 3rd and 4th choices. When it is this late in the recruiting cycle and we are just now making offers to some kids means we are far down our list. And his public strategy is “ just watch”. 

If the roster was in such in bad shape maybe it’s a better idea to hire a coach with the proven ability to rebuild depth AND establish culture. Harsin’s previous HC experience was as a maintainer (not easy to do, but a far cry from a rebuilder).

It’s only been 2 games but Auburn football ain’t been fun to watch so far, we wait all this time and the time is finally here and the product these coaches putting on the field is all just boring and bad offensively and defensively. 

Also all those penalties was just embarrassing for a team with all this new “culture”

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Pretty rough game to watch. Finley did make some nice throws and in the second half we actually had some nice lanes to run through. I was watching at a bar so hard to catch the little things during the game. What changed that allowed us to run better in second half? Different plays or we just blocked them better?

Better situational ball as far as calling plays. We stopped wasting downs and put the offense in 2nd and short positions as opposed to 2 and 13. So you'll see in the highlights probably us working off of play action where the D had you honor the run and pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If the roster was in such in bad shape maybe it’s a better idea to hire a coach with the proven ability to rebuild depth AND establish culture. Harsin’s previous HC experience was as a maintainer (not easy to do, but a far cry from a rebuilder).

True point. But it begs two questions. Who is that person, and who is that person who wants to come here? Our last 3 hires have been GC with a 5-19 record, a Sun Belt coach with 1 year as a HC, and a Mountain West HC. Either we’re making really bad hires or we don’t have strong candidates begging for the job. 

10 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

E06E7A95-9AFD-4785-82E6-D37C10927E4F.jpeg

GUNS FOR HIRE my friends, College Football is now GUNS FOR HIRE!! You played a Pete Carroll Style Coach last night who is bringing players in, in droves... and they are loving every minute of it. GET USE TO IT!!! "Mid Major" LOLOL!! THERE ARE NO MORE MID MAJORS!!! There are too many great players out there, that can't make the grade. Example Georgia State, that team is LOADED with Talent. Did ya see the RB at Marshall, looked like Barry Sanders.. I am telling ya dont go to sleep on ANY of these programs!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

True point. But it begs two questions. Who is that person, and who is that person who wants to come here? Our last 3 hires have been GC with a 5-19 record, a Sun Belt coach with 1 year as a HC, and a Mountain West HC. Either we’re making really bad hires or we don’t have strong candidates begging for the job. 

Don’t forget the ones prior to those three.  A .500 coach from an SEC school and a Division 1AA coach prior to him.   It’s called JABA for a reason.   People tend to brush it off but it’s real.   Until it’s fixed and everyone is on same page, it will continue.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Apples to oranges. There’s a difference between an upset involving a much more talented team losing to an inferior team and what we saw last night. Auburn and San Jose St. have comparable talent, which is ridiculous.  So, no, I won’t take it. This program should be better than a San Jose St. program across the board. It isn’t.

NO WAY you actually believe that. IF that's true we can't blame that on Hars. Things kind of even out when you're playing base offense and defense, turning the ball over, and basically going through the motions. Your opinion is well taken though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I hadn't heard about the dead Tiger Walk. I feel bad for the players. 

so the fans did not support the players? fans are so weird anymore. i imagine they have been. if i was a player that would have bothered me on a couple of levels.

SJSU stadium on game day. This is the program that took us to the wire last night.  B9625C04-E21E-4E0D-AD83-0EB6BE3F42ED.thumb.jpeg.3bd3c5d01f445de437376370b5c4dcdd.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

GUNS FOR HIRE my friends, College Football is now GUNS FOR HIRE!! You played a Pete Carroll Style Coach last night who is bringing players in, in droves... and they are loving every minute of it. GET USE TO IT!!! "Mid Major" LOLOL!! THERE ARE NO MORE MID MAJORS!!! There are too many great players out there, that can't make the grade. Example Georgia State, that team is LOADED with Talent. Did ya see the RB at Marshall, looked like Barry Sanders.. I am telling ya dont go to sleep on ANY of these programs!!

This is the root. Auburn needs to compete in recruiting the portal and with NIL. There’s way more parity in cfb now. The game is as much off the field as it is on the field. 

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Better situational ball as far as calling plays. We stopped wasting downs and put the offense in 2nd and short positions as opposed to 2 and 13. So you'll see in the highlights probably us working off of play action where the D had you honor the run and pass.

My take on Finley. He has arm talent and seems to know where the correct read is. I think his mechanics are off sometimes.  He throws a beautiful ball. It just seems like there is one little thing here or there to correct and when that happens he will take off. The problem is both he and Ashford need game snaps to keep improving and there is only so many u get in a game.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

This is the root. Auburn needs to compete in recruiting the portal and with NIL. There’s way more parity in cfb now. The game is as much off the field as it is on the field. 

Somewhat true,  but look at what happened to Notre Dame and A&M yesterday..

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My take on Finley. He has arm talent and seems to know where the correct read is. I think his mechanics are off sometimes.  He throws a beautiful ball. It just seems like there is one little thing here or there to correct and when that happens he will take off. The problem is both he and Ashford need game snaps to keep improving and there is only so many u get in a game.

I think when the lights come on he just gets too anxious….needs to settle down and trust the offense he know so well. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

so the fans did not support the players? fans are so weird anymore. i imagine they have been. if i was a player that would have bothered me on a couple of levels.

I wasn’t there but just from the tv the place seemed dead early on. Low energy.  I know it was SJSU but the crowd needs to be there regardless to amp up the team. But maybe it was just the tv broadcast because it seemed a little low quality. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

So for you people who reminisce on Gus, you can go to the UCF board. They are just rampant for Gus right now (sarcasm). As for our beloved Auburn tigers. It was an ugly game. We have yet to play four full complete quarters. Some of this is to be blamed on the coaching staff, while a good bit could also be blamed on the players. 

I know some of y’all are giddy with excitement to see CBH and this team implode. I am hoping for the best and will root for CBH and the players to keep momentum going. Next week, they just need to play with reckless abandonment. Most if everyone has counted them out so what is their to lose? I feel like this is that movie “major league” where pretty much the whole team is on limited time. So why not just go out their, play for the team and their coach. WDE boys. On to penn state

Also haha to the aggies, Notre dame and the likes of others on meltdown mode. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think the second half is how we'll split snaps next week.  Gonna be 90% TJ with a run here and there and maybe 1 pass per half for RA

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

So for you people who reminisce on Gus, you can go to the UCF board. They are just rampant for Gus right now (sarcasm). As for our beloved Auburn tigers. It was an ugly game. We have yet to play four full complete quarters. Some of this is to be blamed on the coaching staff, while a good bit could also be blamed on the players. 

I know some of y’all are giddy with excitement to see CBH and this team implode. I am hoping for the best and will root for CBH and the players to keep momentum going. Next week, they just need to play with reckless abandonment. Most if everyone has counted them out so what is their to lose? I feel like this is that movie “major league” where pretty much the whole team is on limited time. So why not just go out their, play for the team and their coach. WDE boys. On to penn state

Also haha to the aggies, Notre dame and the likes of others on meltdown mode. 

Apparently there is a reaction limit here? So…👏👏👏👏👏

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Don't know. All I'm saying is folks need to have a little more patience than one and a half recruiting cycles

More patience? The recruiting has been poor, particularly on the much bemoaned O-line. 1 & 1/2 cycles completed and a total of two (that's TWO,,, 2) O-line guys brought in. Only one committed this current cycle and it's getting very, very late. A major school should be signing five every year. Next season when all those older guys who got an extra year because of the COVID season have used up their eligibility we'll be close to out of O-line players and that will be 100% Harsin's fault.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, Tigers77 said:

I wasn’t there but just from the tv the place seemed dead early on. Low energy.  I know it was SJSU but the crowd needs to be there regardless to amp up the team. But maybe it was just the tv broadcast because it seemed a little low quality. 🤷‍♂️

I was actually surprised at how loud I thought it was in the beginning for that game. I’m also that person who is usually yelling on third down regardless of whatever the situation is. 

Numerous times the players and cheerleaders were trying to get the crowd amped up. I do think Penn State will be a fun environment…at least for kickoff. 😉